Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

anybody here work for an airline

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:52 pm

If so can ou offer some advice. I am flying on an Airbus A330 (monarch airlines) from Manchester to Cancun on Tuesday, Because the flight is long and I know that monarch seat are very small and dont have back seat tellys, I decided to try and upgrade. They wanted £20 each toupgrade so i didnt bother but instead booked extended leg room on the their website. After a bit of research it turns out that the planes only extended leg room seats are by the emergency exits and that when i get on the plane they wont let my 2 year old son it there. Obviously this is no good but due to my wife being pregnant i wanted the extended leg room. What will they do about it? after all they let me book and pay for extended leg room, giving our names and details. Is there any chance if i whinge enough they will realise its their mistake and move us into premium class? Any advice would be brilliant.

Re: anybody here work for an airline

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:03 pm

sorry that should read £320 each for an upgrade :oops:

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:04 pm

They are not allowed to place children on the emergency exit doors. There must be able bodied adults there to be able to activate the doors in case of an emergency.As far as an upgrade is concerned I wouldn't hold your breathe. a lot of airlines don't like upgrading children. By all means have a moan you have nothing to lose, but if you keep on they will look at you as a disruptive passenger and you will have no chance. Just appeal to their better judgement Good luck .

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:07 pm

ridofrid wrote:They are not allowed to place children on the emergency exit doors. There must be able bodied adults there to be able to activate the doors in case of an emergency.As far as an upgrade is concerned I wouldn't hold your breathe. a lot of airlines don't like upgrading children. By all means have a moan you have nothing to lose, but if you keep on they will look at you as a disruptive passenger and you will have no chance. Just appeal to their better judgement Good luck .

cheers anyway, i just hope the plane is quiet and that they fell sorry for me. I will get my 2 ear old son to charm them :D

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:16 pm

Please dont take this the wrong way but most airlines wont upgrade young children as a lot of people who pay the upgrade do so to get away from young children.
In my experience when they have other passengers that have paid the excess will complain if their peace has been disturbed and will then fight for their money back.
The long haul flight seat pitch of Monarch would be greater than the normal european charter configeration so it shouldnt be too uncomfortable.

Hope you have a nice holiday

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:30 pm

ridofrid wrote:Please dont take this the wrong way but most airlines wont upgrade young children as a lot of people who pay the upgrade do so to get away from young children.
In my experience when they have other passengers that have paid the excess will complain if their peace has been disturbed and will then fight for their money back.
The long haul flight seat pitch of Monarch would be greater than the normal european charter configeration so it shouldnt be too uncomfortable.

Hope you have a nice holiday

thanks very much once more for your help, we flew last year with Thomas Cook in Premium class with our son and there were other children there as well. I can always try, I find the sypmpathy vote and very nice manners generally helps more than getting stroppy with check in staff. i will do my best anyway. I will get half of Mexico to follow the city whilst i am over there.

Ridofrid, do you work for an airline?

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:55 pm

No semi retired now but have been in the industry since '66

Old b*stard lol

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:02 pm

I work at Cardiff Airport and they wont let your son or wife (if pregnant) sit in the emergency exit seats. Monach dont fly from Cardiffso cant speak for them but with other airlines they would move you to any available seats and tell you to take up any refunds with the airline. Most websites say in the terms and conditions about who can sit in the exit seats so you may not even get a refund. I would try and sort it before getting to the check in as generally they wont care where they move you.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:58 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I work at Cardiff Airport and they wont let your son or wife (if pregnant) sit in the emergency exit seats. Monach dont fly from Cardiffso cant speak for them but with other airlines they would move you to any available seats and tell you to take up any refunds with the airline. Most websites say in the terms and conditions about who can sit in the exit seats so you may not even get a refund. I would try and sort it before getting to the check in as generally they wont care where they move you.

i have checked the monarch webshite and it says nothing about restrictions, plus i had to give our passenger numbers/booking reference to book the seats. I think they are obviously doing something wrong by letting their website allow this to happen. I will just stay calm and try to get an upgrade into premium class if its not too busy. I cant see the plane being full though, how many people are going to Cancun this time of the year?

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:56 pm

Hi there. Not an airline worker but a frequent cross-Atlantic flyer....

What the guys above say is absolutely true, I'm afraid. My own wife is disabled and being well over 6' tall I have a problem with some seats (and Monarch are indeed amongst the worst in that department) but not allowed to sit next to the exits for the reasons stated.

I have upgraded (and once flew 1st class with TWA because I agreed to move seats when someone kicked up a fuss about sitting in a smoking zone many years ago) but, as you say, this can be expensive....and airlines are now very reluctant to give free 'upgrades' due to the increasing number of people who 'try it on' coupled with complaints from those who have paid the full amount for their seats.

Can't remember what the Monarch layout was but can I suggest you have a look at the layout at the front of the economy cabin. On most planes the front seats (against the bulkheads) have slightly more room in front of them and are often reserved for travellers with children or disabilities. A call to the airline requesting these seats (with an appropriate reason, such as a pregnant person preferring these seats so that there is no reclining seat in front of her) might just do the trick.

Alternatively, if the front row only has two seats near the window and the row behind has three, then it stands to reason that the seat furthest from the window will have masses of leg-room because there is no seat in front of it (too close to the dividing curtain).

I hope that helps and you have a great trip :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:15 pm

http://www.monarch.co.uk/faq/flights/se ... ts-charter

Note: All seat fees are transferable but non-refundable. On certain routes, extra legroom seats can only be offered adjacent to the emergency exit rows - in these cases standard CAA regulations regarding minimum age (16yrs +) and mobility restrictions may apply. We reserve the right to move any passengers our cabin crew feels are unsuitable for exit row seats. Credit and debit card fees apply on seating transactions.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:33 pm

joninian1927 wrote:If so can ou offer some advice. I am flying on an Airbus A330 (monarch airlines) from Manchester to Cancun on Tuesday, Because the flight is long and I know that monarch seat are very small and dont have back seat tellys, I decided to try and upgrade. They wanted £20 each toupgrade so i didnt bother but instead booked extended leg room on the their website. After a bit of research it turns out that the planes only extended leg room seats are by the emergency exits and that when i get on the plane they wont let my 2 year old son it there. Obviously this is no good but due to my wife being pregnant i wanted the extended leg room. What will they do about it? after all they let me book and pay for extended leg room, giving our names and details. Is there any chance if i whinge enough they will realise its their mistake and move us into premium class? Any advice would be brilliant.

I have flown on an Airbus A330 and it is true that the extra leg room seats are adjacent to the emergency exits. However having said that there are a number of rows where the leg room is quite good. If you check this link you will see;

http://www.airbus.com/en/aircraftfamili ... in-layout/

The rows maybe at the front of the cabin facing a wall or infront of a partition but they are still better than the remaining rows. I flew from Gatwick with Monarch and I had pre booked seats (3 in total) and was given the front row facing a wall but in fairness it wasn't as bad as it sounds. The was also a video screen which dropped for the ceiling allowing my grandaughter to watch a film.

Overall the plane was really nice and should be fine even on a long haul.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:39 pm

castleblue wrote:
joninian1927 wrote:If so can ou offer some advice. I am flying on an Airbus A330 (monarch airlines) from Manchester to Cancun on Tuesday, Because the flight is long and I know that monarch seat are very small and dont have back seat tellys, I decided to try and upgrade. They wanted £20 each toupgrade so i didnt bother but instead booked extended leg room on the their website. After a bit of research it turns out that the planes only extended leg room seats are by the emergency exits and that when i get on the plane they wont let my 2 year old son it there. Obviously this is no good but due to my wife being pregnant i wanted the extended leg room. What will they do about it? after all they let me book and pay for extended leg room, giving our names and details. Is there any chance if i whinge enough they will realise its their mistake and move us into premium class? Any advice would be brilliant.

I have flown on an Airbus A330 and it is true that the extra leg room seats are adjacent to the emergency exits. However having said that there are a number of rows where the leg room is quite good. If you check this link you will see;

http://www.airbus.com/en/aircraftfamili ... in-layout/

The rows maybe at the front of the cabin facing a wall or infront of a partition but they are still better than the remaining rows. I flew from Gatwick with Monarch and I had pre booked seats (3 in total) and was given the front row facing a wall but in fairness it wasn't as bad as it sounds. The was also a video screen which dropped for the ceiling allowing my grandaughter to watch a film.

Overall the plane was really nice and should be fine even on a long haul.

Thinking about the cost of the upgrade I think your seats will be in the front section of the plane, they are really lovely seats which are wider than normal and all have extra leg room. I think the trolley dollys have shorter skirts in that section as well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:01 pm

I have travelled with monach many times and has seen leg room seats go empty when people have asked to sit in them after take off as they havent paid for them