Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

TUESDAY 31st AUGUST UPDATE - TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:17 pm

Transfer deadline day and it has been a quiet day for City, thankfully.

Whittingham, I understand, has told his agent he wants to stay at City. :ayatollah:

The club are concentrating on contract talks with the other soon to be out of contract players.

There is a behind doors game tomorrow at the Vale for the benefit of Riggott, it is looking very likely that he will sign for City in the next few days. Could Davenport be playing in the game too.

The club was hoping to shift a few players off the wage bill but as I said it has been a quiet day at CCS.

Hull have taken Gerrard on a season long loan and the deal includes OJ allowed to play against Hull.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/page/New ... 45,00.html

Re: TUESDAY 31st AUGUST UPDATE

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks Carl.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:24 pm

Id be happy with any of them. The backup will be good.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:24 pm

I suppose there is the factor that a lot of the squad players are caught up in the positive vibe at the club and hope for a chance to prove themselves, rather than drop down a division.

As long as we can keep them fit and happy a pool of good quality reserves can only be a positive thing

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:27 pm

Would have been nice to get a decent Centre Half in but i think it was far more important to hang onto Whitts and Bothroyd mind you theres still over 30 minutes to go :roll:

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:28 pm

I'd be happy not losing anybody and getting Riggott And Davenport in.

I remember watching Davenport down at Ninian Parl about 5 years ago when he was starting off his career - he was awesome that night and my lad & I agreed he would play for England one day - wrong on that one but a good quality addition and better than what we've got.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:31 pm

Riggott and davenport would do nicely thank you very much :ayatollah: would have liked another target man to challenge Bothroyd lets hope Dave Jones is scouring the market for out of contract players or maybe a short term loan as we defo need back up in that department.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:33 pm

is callum davenport the player who got stabbed in the leg?

He was a brilliant player be good to have him.

Who are they playing against 2morro does any1 no? :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:33 pm

chippy909 wrote:is callum davenport the player who got stabbed in the leg?

they are keeping it quiet on the opponents for some reason.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:56 pm

I heard it was Hereford :?:

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:57 pm

carlccfc wrote:

they are keeping it quiet on the opponents for some reason.

Probably The Jacks then.....don't want any of us turning up ;)

Re: TUESDAY 31st AUGUST UPDATE - TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:22 pm

Carl can you clear summat up for me please!!

If the deadline finishes today.. how can we sign players tomorrow or thursday??

Cheers mate

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:31 pm

the transfer deadline is only for transfer of player from club to club, there is like 2 extra weeks for free transfers and loan deals to go through i believe, and once thats passed only emergency deals

if im right guys

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:34 pm

Free transfers/out of contract players can be signed anytime, for them there is no transfer window

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:40 pm

Nice one. I think DJ has his finger on the pulse still then!

Ross appears to have gone far too cheaply, but we will see ;) looks like City
were just as desperate to see him gone as he was to leave so no drama, get
the rotten apple out the barrel!!

The main worries were Jay and Whitts, and they're staying :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I'd settle for either Riggott or Davenport, one of those in and we have got a hell of
a squad fellers

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:41 pm

carl someone told me that gerrad cant go on loan until gardner goes on loan from hull any truth on that :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:42 pm

just hered gardner gone to crystal palace on loan so that must open the door for gerrard :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:54 pm

carlccfc wrote:Transfer deadline day and it has been a quiet day for City, thankfully.

Whittingham, I understand, has told his agent he wants to stay at City. :ayatollah:

The club are concentrating on contract talks with the other soon to be out of contract players.

There is a behind doors game tomorrow at the Vale for the benefit of Riggott, it is looking very likely that he will sign for City in the next few days. Could Davenport be playing in the game too.

The club was hoping to shift a few players off the wage bill but as I said it has been a quiet day at CCS.

Hull look to have taken Gerrard on a season long loan, according to Sky and BBC Wales reporting that the deal includes OJ allowed to play against Hull.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 99,00.html

Gerrard deal now confirmed by the club

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/page/New ... 45,00.html

Oli OK for the Hull game as well :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:59 pm

Would definitely have preferred another Centre Half..although I think Riggott can sign outside the window as he is a free agent? Could possibly have done with someone to compete with Jay, but I am NOT complaining about our activity in this window!

We are looking strong and if Oli can play against Hull, we may be able to get a decent amount of points on the board by the end of September and therefor a good springboard for the rest of the season :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:02 pm

So does the fact that the club have been willing to let Gerrard go mean that they are pretty certain that Riggott will be signing because they have been satisfied by his level of fitness in training?

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:13 pm

IMO we have had a good close season, it was only a few weeks ago when we were all thinking there would have to be a fire sale and most would have been satisfied with a mid table finish to the season.

We instead have IMO the strongest, most talented squad in the division, and our attack is going to frighten the life out of teams.

Thanks to TG and VT and DJ.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:13 pm

croesybluebird wrote:I'd be happy not losing anybody and getting Riggott And Davenport in.

I remember watching Davenport down at Ninian Parl about 5 years ago when he was starting off his career - he was awesome that night and my lad & I agreed he would play for England one day - wrong on that one but a good quality addition and better than what we've got.

If I remember rightly Davenport played for Coventry against us in the first home game of the 2004/5 season (we won 2-1) and was back again in October with West Ham (after transferring to Spurs and then being loaned out) when we won again this time 4-1.