Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

O/T iPhone battery help

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:48 am

I recently had battery problems with my new iPhone 4 with the battery not even lasting a day. As the phone is not even 3 months old I phoned the appe store in Cardiff they sent me an email with a link to their website told me to follow the instructions step by step I did this and since had no problems with the battery. I then did exactly the same with my old iPhone 3G which my misses has and as it is so much older the battery wasn't very good, my misses is now telling me the battery is much better. So below is a link to the info I followed just in case anyone is having problems with their iPhone battery. I would make sure you back up all you want to keep properly though as once you go through this process it wipes your phone.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4137

Hope it helps some of you!

Re: O/T iPhone battery help

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:57 am

Best thing to do is to JailBreak your iphone, once you done that - Download an APP called Auto3G from the Cydia store. it costs $4.99 but what it does is turns 3G off every time you lock your phone - then turns it back on everytime you go to use your phone again. 3G is the biggest drain on the battery which you can switch off at any time on a jailbroken iPhone- not sure about whether you can do it on a standard factory one though?

MY iPhone was terrible battery wise - as i had so many programs running at one time. but this App is top.

You can go to http://modmyi.com/ for info and iphone forums.

also it is good to follow Redmond Pie and Cydia on Facebook as they always release the info on new updates, JB's and Apps as soon as they arrive - before Apple on most occasions.

Good Luck!

(iPhone 3G user!) ;)

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:02 pm

Merlin, will this interfere with you receiving calls if there's no other signal around?

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:05 pm

anyone know any decent and reasonably cheap companies that fix iphone and ipod touch screens apple is £80 and if i pay that mite as well jus pay the extra £70 and get a brand new 1

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:11 pm

As far as I'm aware there are many areas in the UK that won't support 3G anyway, and it always pops in and out of use.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G)

Your phone is usually fine working on the 1 & 2G for voice calls, but data use won't work properly without 3G active.

Once you unlock your phone to use it or accept a call the 3G process is switched back on. until you lock it again.

What you have to be aware of is that if you took a jailbroken phone to apple for repairs servicing etc etc - they wont touch it, so its always good to make a back up. and do a full system restore before you visit an apple store with your phone. :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:13 pm

a horse with no name wrote:anyone know any decent and reasonably cheap companies that fix iphone and ipod touch screens apple is £80 and if i pay that mite as well jus pay the extra £70 and get a brand new 1

You can buy screens on ebay, and repair them yourself! there are tutorials on youtube, and i think its only two screws at the bottom of the iPhone anyway! think i saw one the other day for £25.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iPhone-3GS-Replac ... ssories_RL

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:17 pm

My mate in work bought a new screen off eBay and put it on himself but it only lasted a week so I wouldn't go down that route if I was you. He couldn't find a cheap place to do it either mind. If I was you either check to see if you are covered by your bank as some bank accounts will have phone insurance with them even for iPhones. Other than that insure your phone then in a months time claim on it. You can get iPhone insurance for a fiver so that works out at £60. But then that all depends on what excess you might have to pay. Or see if it's covered on your house insurance.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:23 pm

its not an iphone its an ipod touch and is still under warrunty but it doesnt cover accidental damage only defects with the software. i found 1 site that does it for £50 but thats still alot. i dont want to risk doin it myself as my mate has done it and it all went wrong. :ayatollah: