Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Swansea City

Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:22 am

Swansea City have extended the loan deals of goalkeeper Freddie Woodman and defender Ben Wilmot until the end of the protracted Championship season.

Extensions have been secured with parent clubs Newcastle and Watford for Woodman and Wilmot respectively to see out the Swans' remaining nine games.

The club are also close to extending striker Rhian Brewster's loan deal from Liverpool, while agreements with Chelsea for centre-back Marc Guehi and midfielder Connor Gallagher are also expected to be completed.

Discussions with Swiss side Basel over winger Aldo Kalulu are also understood to be ongoing - with the club having an option to make his loan permanent for next season.

The club have been relaxed about the situation with the players keen to see out the season at Swansea.

The loan deals had originally lasted until the final games of the Championship season, but clubs have allowed this to be extended to cover the delay that could now see the season finish at the end of July.

Steve Cooper's side currently sit 11th in the Championship, three points off the play-off places.

And keeping hold of their six loan players will provide a significant boost to their promotion hopes.

England U21 forward Brewster scored four goals in 11 appearances for Swansea after joining the club on loan in January, while Woodman has been an ever-present between the sticks for Cooper's side.

Speaking to the club's website, Woodman said: “It’s my first full season at Championship level and the aim was to get as many minutes under my belt as possible and try to improve.

“I also wanted to play in this league to get the experience of playing in the derbies and other big atmospheres like we had at Elland Road.

“So far I think I’ve put in some good performances, which I’m pleased with. It’s been a fantastic experience.

“We still have nine games left to play – hopefully three more after that – and I’ve absolutely loved it. I don’t want it to end because I’m really enjoying it.”