Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Welsh schools reopen 29th June 2020

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:04 pm

a month too late but better than nothing!!!!

Children will go back to school in phases with around one in three children at school at any one time

13:10, 3 JUN 2020

Schools in Wales will re-open to all pupils on June 29 after they were closed in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Children will go back to school in phases with around one in three children at school at any one time to reduce the risk of coronavirus.

Education Minister Kirsty Williams said the term will be extended by one week to end on July 27 for the summer holidays.

The autumn half term in October will be extended from one week to two.

Ms Williams will lead the Welsh Government’s daily briefing at 12.30pm where she will answer questions from the press. Follow the live updates from the press conference below.

First Minister Mark Drakeford has also faced questions in the Senedd today on the Welsh Government’s handling of the coronavirus outbreak. It comes after a critical report commissioned by Plaid Cymru.

In Westminster, Boris Johnson has faced Keir Starmer at Prime Minister's Questions and Home Secretary Priti Patel will lay out her plans for new quarantine restrictions on people arriving in the UK.

The deaths of seven more people with coronavirus were reported in Wales on Tuesday, to take the daily total published by Public Health Wales to 1,354.

However the true total has already passed 2,122, according to the latest more detailed figures which were published by the Office for National Statistics on Tuesday. These only cover the period up to May 22.

We'll have live updates below. You can see our live coverage from Tuesday's press conferences here.

Sign up for regular updates from WalesOnline with one of our newsletters – you can get more details through this link.
Live updates below:

WG: Universities working hard to establish plans for new year

Asked what universities lessons will look like at the start of the new year, Ms Williams said institutions are working very hard to establish what operations will look like.

She said it is likely to be a blended learning approach with lectures being held online. Small group face to face teaching will also be on the cards, she said.

"The education sector can be really innovative, we've seen that already," she said.

The education minister said universities are keen to be explicit about how this will work as soon as possible.

Re: Welsh schools reopen 20th June 2020

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:11 pm

Is it compulsory?

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:12 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Is it compulsory?

No and parents wont be fined for not sending kids to school for now...

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:14 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Cheers as my friends some agree and some don’t. :lol:

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:18 pm

Bluebina wrote:a month too late but better than nothing!!!!

Children will go back to school in phases with around one in three children at school at any one time

Schools in Wales will re-open to all pupils on June 29 after they were closed in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Children will go back to school in phases with around one in three children at school at any one time to reduce the risk of coronavirus.

Education Minister Kirsty Williams said the term will be extended by one week to end on July 27 for the summer holidays.

Ms Williams will lead the Welsh Government’s daily briefing at 12.30pm where she will answer questions from the press. Follow the live updates from the press conference below.

First Minister Mark Drakeford has also faced questions in the Senedd today on the Welsh Government’s handling of the coronavirus outbreak. It comes after a critical report commissioned by Plaid Cymru.

In Westminster, Boris Johnson has faced Keir Starmer at Prime Minister's Questions and Home Secretary Priti Patel will lay out her plans for new quarantine restrictions on people arriving in the UK.

The deaths of seven more people with coronavirus were reported in Wales on Tuesday, to take the daily total published by Public Health Wales to 1,354.

However the true total has already passed 2,122, according to the latest more detailed figures which were published by the Office for National Statistics on Tuesday. These only cover the period up to May 22.

We'll have live updates below. You can see our live coverage from Tuesday's press conferences here.

Sign up for regular updates from WalesOnline with one of our newsletters – you can get more details through this link.
Live updates below:

Asked what universities lessons will look like at the start of the new year, Ms Williams said institutions are working very hard to establish what operations will look like.

She said it is likely to be a blended learning approach with lectures being held online. Small group face to face teaching will also be on the cards, she said.

"The education sector can be really innovative, we've seen that already," she said.

The education minister said universities are keen to be explicit about how this will work as soon as possible.

Sorry for the typo 29th June !!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52895374

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:30 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Cheers as my friends some agree and some don’t. :lol:

Annis cannot blame parents as teachers still saying to risky and there will be some no doubt not returning either... basically it will be all kids going back but with staggered times for starting ....breaks ......and lunch with roughly only a third of pupils in school at one time.. this is not helpful to kids or parents education
will suffer as this is going to be the norm until November at least.....chaos is garaunteed

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:42 pm

Can't go through life with no risk. School's and life has to return to soon.

33 under the age of 40 have died and 3 under the age of 19. Now the significant number of people in school teachers and pupils fall in this demographic. And if you don't, and you're vulnerable, by all means lock yourself up (you damn well should). But that also means no shops, beach, park, visits to your house, pub...

Second: who hasn’t it killed? Parents, unions and nervy adults fret about the risk, but there is little need. With no serious pre-existing conditions, the young-ish and healthy are far more likely to be hit by lightning (49 occurrences per annum in UK) than to die of covid-19 (33 in England under age 40, of which only 3 under the age of 19). Panning out, among healthy under 60s (i.e. children and the vast majority of our working population), 253 people have died of covid-19 in English hospitals; this compares to 400 (non-suicide) drownings per year in the UK. And taking all age-groups where there are no pre-existing conditions serious enough to be mentioned as contributary causes of death, covid-19 has taken about 2/3rds the lives that British roads do every year, and we wouldn’t think of outlawing driving, swimming or going outside in a storm.

https://thecritic.co.uk/were-all-in-the ... mbers-now/

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:56 pm

Fair play she spoke really well in that news conference.
Smaller, staggered classes with different starting times. Really pleased for my two boys who could really do with a few days a week back in, like she said, if nothing else to trial how it will go in September in the new normal. Kids need routine, 6 months away is too much. Loved her little dig at the unions too.... :lol: Two week half term for October also so maybe a cheeky holiday thrown in.... :occasion5:

Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:03 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:Can't go through life with no risk. School's and life has to return to soon.

33 under the age of 40 have died and 3 under the age of 19. Now the significant number of people in school teachers and pupils fall in this demographic. And if you don't, and you're vulnerable, by all means lock yourself up (you damn well should). But that also means no shops, beach, park, visits to your house, pub...

Second: who hasn’t it killed? Parents, unions and nervy adults fret about the risk, but there is little need. With no serious pre-existing conditions, the young-ish and healthy are far more likely to be hit by lightning (49 occurrences per annum in UK) than to die of covid-19 (33 in England under age 40, of which only 3 under the age of 19). Panning out, among healthy under 60s (i.e. children and the vast majority of our working population), 253 people have died of covid-19 in English hospitals; this compares to 400 (non-suicide) drownings per year in the UK. And taking all age-groups where there are no pre-existing conditions serious enough to be mentioned as contributary causes of death, covid-19 has taken about 2/3rds the lives that British roads do every year, and we wouldn’t think of outlawing driving, swimming or going outside in a storm.

https://thecritic.co.uk/were-all-in-the ... mbers-now/

Good points. I read the other day that 50 kids under 15 I think tragically die in car accidents every year in the uk, there’s risks in everything we do.....

Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:09 pm

goats wrote:Fair play she spoke really well in that news conference.
Smaller, staggered classes with different starting times. Really pleased for my two boys who could really do with a few days a week back in, like she said, if nothing else to trial how it will go in September in the new normal. Kids need routine, 6 months away is too much. Loved her little dig at the unions too.... :lol: Two week half term for October also so maybe a cheeky holiday thrown in.... :occasion5:

..and the numbers may change depending on school size which makes sense. Smaller school = less kids back etc.

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:01 pm

The 'working figure' is about 30%

So a school/year group of 200 kids is 60 kids.

Your average 1000 seater comp/high school will see 300 kids if they all attend.

Realistically, most schools will be 'happy' to hit at least 10% especially in less 'academic' areas as parents have the ultimate veto on attendance.

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:13 pm

I am so pleased that Welsh Schools are going back in the manner which was announced today. I great deal of thought had been put into it with the likelihood of no more than a third of pupils in the school at any given time with staggered times, the return date is a full month after the track and trace process has had time to operate.

I manage an organisation on a school premises which is delivering childcare in parallel to the school, we are over the moon to be back into operate, my staff have all expressed a big thumbs up. We will be putting in all the possible safety measures possible into our re-opening.

Kids need to be back in school and society has to dip its toe in the water some time. We have to get used to the NEW NORMAL :occasion5:

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:37 pm

Whistler wrote:I am so pleased that Welsh Schools are going back in the manner which was announced today. I great deal of thought had been put into it with the likelihood of no more than a third of pupils in the school at any given time with staggered times, the return date is a full month after the track and trace process has had time to operate.

I manage an organisation on a school premises which is delivering childcare in parallel to the school, we are over the moon to be back into operate, my staff have all expressed a big thumbs up. We will be putting in all the possible safety measures possible into our re-opening.

Kids need to be back in school and society has to dip its toe in the water some time. We have to get used to the NEW NORMAL :occasion5:

Bang on :thumbup: a good news day :occasion5:

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:00 pm

Whistler wrote:I am so pleased that Welsh Schools are going back in the manner which was announced today. I great deal of thought had been put into it with the likelihood of no more than a third of pupils in the school at any given time with staggered times, the return date is a full month after the track and trace process has had time to operate.

How long can a " NEW NORMAL " be sustained in respect of kids education? We are talking part time teaching for at least 3mnths but I suspect be much longer , how and where do kids make up for lost learning, you simply cannot fit 5 full days education into part time learning no matter how good teachers are and expect kids to learn what is required? Yes need to start sometime and no eady answers but we are setting up for kids to fail especially when comes to key stage testing used by gvmnt..

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:11 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

How long can a " NEW NORMAL " be sustained in respect of kids education? We are talking part time teaching for at least 3mnths but I suspect be much longer , how and where do kids make up for lost learning, you simply cannot fit 5 full days education into part time learning no matter how good teachers are and expect kids to learn what is required? Yes need to start sometime and no eady answers but we are setting up for kids to fail especially when comes to key stage testing used by gvmnt..

PS
forgot to ask does anyone have an idea how to get kids upto 16miles away for school at different times with social distancing on busses? Just curious because thats what's required here in st davids and no doubt all over Wales

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:56 pm

It’s good news to see the schools going back in some shape or another. The children appear to be at a much lower risk which is a relief however they will never be able to get rid of the risk completely. I think the more concerning thing is for the teachers and other staff in the school. I know a few schools where many of the staff are over 40 (my sisters school included) and they obviously have a mix of health problems...my sisters being moderate asthma when well managed. She has worked flat out since lockdown from home literally 8 hours per day with emails and other communications from other staff etc and some days on the weekends too. Mind you this is different from her normal week 7.30-18.30pm mon-fri plus Saturday work. Teachers have certainly been busy throughout this period. However, like everyone else people will have to go back to work at some point and some how worked the whole way through all of this. Hopefully the schools will be able to manage it safely and at the same time be able to give kids as much education as possible. I think it’s will be trying to provide the best education as possible under the circumstances. Of course the other thing is the kids passing the virus onto parents. I’m not sure how primary schools are going to social distance come September as there aren’t enough classrooms to have classes of 15 or even 20 not to mention enough teachers.

Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:52 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Bluebina wrote:a month too late but better than nothing!!!!

Live updates below:

Sorry for the typo 29th June !!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52895374

Done 29th ;)