Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Interesting:Sweden admits it DID get it wrong on coronavirus

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:19 am

Sweden admits it DID get it wrong on coronavirus: Expert behind country's refusal to enter lockdown says he would have imposed tougher restrictions 'if we knew what we know now'

Anders Tegnell, Sweden's state epidemiologist, has admitted he made the wrong call on the country's coronavirus lockdown for the first time

Tegnell admits too many people have died after he shunned mandatory rules

He now believes Sweden should have taken harsher measures to stop the spread

By CHRIS PLEASANCE FOR MAILONLINE

Wednesday 3 June 2020

Sweden's state epidemiologist has admitted he made the wrong call on the country's coronavirus lockdown for the first time.

Anders Tegnell, who was behind the decision to shun full lockdown in favour of voluntary social distancing measures, now admits that too many people have died under his strategy.

Asked to battle the same disease again with the benefit of hindsight, Tegnell said he would bring in tougher measures to slow the spread.

Re: Interesting:Sweden admits it DID get it wrong on coronav

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:42 am

If we all had hindsight how easy everything would be. All these experts, many who have no responsibility for anything constantly criticise those who have to make decisions.

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:40 pm

glas wrote:If we all had hindsight how easy everything would be. All these experts, many who have no responsibility for anything constantly criticise those who have to make decisions.

Very true.

I remember about 6 weeks hearing a radio debate where Sweden was held up as an example to the rest of Europe as how to manage the crisis. With hindsight that opinion was wrong also!

Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:38 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
glas wrote:If we all had hindsight how easy everything would be. All these experts, many who have no responsibility for anything constantly criticise those who have to make decisions.

Very true.

I remember about 6 weeks hearing a radio debate where Sweden was held up as an example to the rest of Europe as how to manage the crisis. With hindsight that opinion was wrong also!

We won't really know how this will all play out, it might be that they have slightly more deaths than some countries now, but have far fewer mental health issues and a far better economy, it's really going to depend on your perspective when evaluating these decisions.

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:19 pm

Bluebina wrote:

Very true.

We won't really know how this will all play out, it might be that they have slightly more deaths than some countries now, but have far fewer mental health issues and a far better economy, it's really going to depend on your perspective when evaluating these decisions.

indeed... their figures are by no means good but nowhere near as bad as many countries including ours which locked down hardest...and although he has been honest enough to say they made mistakes he certainly didn't go as far as suggesting they should have had a hard lock down...

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:42 pm

Bluebina wrote:

Very true.

They could have more immunity now also for the future, we just don’t know.
The other day Norway wondered.....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... =DM1251860

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:51 pm

goats wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Very true.

yes...still a lot of un answered questions mate... im a bit confused how no cure, no vaccine hasn't seen reduced lockdowns result in a climb in infections... we keep being told it hasn't and wont go away... yet that's exactly what seems to have happened in some places..

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:02 pm

goats wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Very true.

Just shows how difficult it is to get the approach right. Sweden wishing they'd been more like Norway while Norway wishing they'd been a bit more like Sweden. The countries that have weathered this well, have in many cases not weathered it at all. They've been brilliant at keeping it out. Less densely populated areas will always deal with this better and islands have a natural defence and will deal with it better still. There was a Greek official on the radio the other day saying that three quarters of Greek islands have had zero infections. I wasn't sure that was a good thing although its better than listening to our grimly toll every day. As for Sweden, they may have still got someway to go in terms of achieving a protective immunity.
There might not have been an official lockdown but a fair proportion of the population did so anyway.

My wife's getting the antibody test tomorrow as part of being employed by the NHS and I had to send one of my labourers home today with a sore throat. He's booked a test so I'm hoping it comes back ok.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:29 am

epping blue wrote:
goats wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Very true.

Just shows how difficult it is to get the approach right. Sweden wishing they'd been more like Norway while Norway wishing they'd been a bit more like Sweden. The countries that have weathered this well, have in many cases not weathered it at all. They've been brilliant at keeping it out. Less densely populated areas will always deal with this better and islands have a natural defence and will deal with it better still. There was a Greek official on the radio the other day saying that three quarters of Greek islands have had zero infections. I wasn't sure that was a good thing although its better than listening to our grimly toll every day. As for Sweden, they may have still got someway to go in terms of achieving a protective immunity.
There might not have been an official lockdown but a fair proportion of the population did so anyway.

My wife's getting the antibody test tomorrow as part of being employed by the NHS and I had to send one of my labourers home today with a sore throat. He's booked a test so I'm hoping it comes back ok.

Firstly, good luck to both your wife and labourer :thumbup: I am of the belief that heat plays a factor in either slowing,or dissapating the virus? Turkey has a population of around 84m,although their average age there is around 32,the have about 10% of the population over 70,so roughly 8.4m,yet with a different approach to locking the whole country down,they keep under 16 and over 65yr old in lockdown,but today started to open cafes and restaurants (with social distancing ) but back to the heat thing, they have just had the hottest may for nearly 80 years! And here is why I believe heat (sunshine) plays a big part there,as they have on about 4,500 deaths!! I could be way off the mark,and it could be just coincidence, but Greece has manged quite well too,and they are neighbours? We have a death rate over ten times higher,than a country that has nearly 20m more people? :old: :bluebird:

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:33 am

bluesince62 wrote:
epping blue wrote:
goats wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Very true.

Firstly, good luck to both your wife and labourer :thumbup: I am of the belief that heat plays a factor in either slowing,or dissapating the virus? Turkey has a population of around 84m,although their average age there is around 32,the have about 10% of the population over 70,so roughly 8.4m,yet with a different approach to locking the whole country down,they keep under 16 and over 65yr old in lockdown,but today started to open cafes and restaurants (with social distancing ) but back to the heat thing, they have just had the hottest may for nearly 80 years! And here is why I believe heat (sunshine) plays a big part there,as they have on about 4,500 deaths!! I could be way off the mark,and it could be just coincidence, but Greece has manged quite well too,and they are neighbours? We have a death rate over ten times higher,than a country that has nearly 20m more people? :old: :bluebird:

My wife's not unwell, she's just having the antibody test as part of the NHS initiative to see how many people have had at some time. I hope she's had it and its passed with no effect. Hoping the labourer doesn't have it but I had half thought he may have had it during March as was when of the few using public transport to get to and from work. Its a bit of issue though. May well have all my workforce sick or isolating next week on SSP when if I'd kept them on the Furlough they'd be getting 80% of their wages.

Its accepted that our biggest source of vitamin D comes from sunlight and vitamin D has a big factor to play in the function of our immune system. That could explain why people living in larger cities, working in office, travelling underground with less access to sun light are more susceptible. It may be a factor in the higher BAME death rate as they absorb less vitamin D. I doubt its that simple though but its probably a factor. There's something that will eventually explain why the western world is on the whole is suffering far more than the developing world. Interaction is probably higher but generally the living conditions are so much better you would think they would outweigh that. Some countries have been much better at restricting the spread than others as we know to our cost. But there's wide variations in mortality rate on confirmed cases. I know this is particularly bad stat to use as no 2 countries are testing at the same rates and with us in particular we know we carried out virtually no tests when the virus was rampant. Even so this stat alarmed me. Its a little bit out of date but nevertheless it remains relative. In Essex out of those who've tested positive 34% have died ! Not London but a very large proportion work in London of course.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:20 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
epping blue wrote:
goats wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Very true.

Something to do with fat in the virus being melted and thus destroying it in the sun was it? I’m simplifying the lingo there as I can’t recall the exact terminology :laughing6:
I wonder about the washing of hands in Islamic countries also, Muslims wash their hands all the time dont they? Thus reducing the spread

Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:24 am

Also very difficult to transmit from hands to mouth when wearing a veil/ burka.