UPDATED: ' Bad news for the Championship: '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:52 pm

UPDATED: Friday 5th June 2020

Championship clubs alarmed by June 20 restart date as positive tests stack up, League One split over resumption and relegation rows in League Two (as National League leaders Barrow wait on tenterhooks)... the situation in the EFL ahead of next week's votes

Friday 5th June 2020

A bigger issue may prove to be the number of positive Covid-19 tests being returned.

Nine people at six Championship clubs returned positive results in the latest round of 1,094 tests, with Preston North End, Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield Town affected.

And, as Sportsmail revealed, at least one individual tested positive at Championship leaders Leeds United. This was the first positive test at the Elland Road club in four rounds of testing.

In all, there have been 24 positive cases so far with nine clubs known to have been affected.

Much will depend on the next set of results as these will be the first returned since clubs returned since all clubs returned to contact training.

A large number of positive returns could easily derail the planned return in just over a couple of weeks' time.

Queens Park Rangers chief executive Lee Hoos, for example, said he was 'appalled by' and 'vehemently opposed to' the June 20 resumption, adding there had been 'absolutely no consultation' with clubs on the matter.

Rangers manager Mark Warburton echoed these views, telling Sportsmail this week the club were 'staggered by the announcement', adding: 'We'd just told the players it would be June 27 at the earliest.'

Queens Park Rangers manager Mark Warburton has spoken out against the June 20 restart

Sheffield Wednesday boss Garry Monk made the point that Championship clubs were a week behind the Premier League in returning to training and so it was 'unfair' to start playing again on the same weekend.

Cardiff City and Swansea City's Championship rivals Preston throw restart plans into doubt after 'positive test' report

Reports stating Preston North End have received a positive coronavirus test could send restart plans into disarray

Tuesday 2nd May 2020

A general view of Deepdale, the home of Preston North End

Plans for Championship clubs to return to action on June 20 have reportedly been hit after a positive coronavirus test was revealed at Preston North End following the club’s first full-contact training session.

According to the Mail Preston are believed to have held a squad match at their Springfields training ground and their first full-contact session is said to have been held before the latest round of test results was returned by club doctors.

The identity of the individual who has contracted Covid-19 is unknown but the result is prompting concern that a portion of Alex Neil's squad may have to self-isolate for a fortnight.

The Government's track and trace guidelines released last week state that anyone who has come into contact with the virus should self-isolate for 14 days.

That would leave some Preston players with just four days' worth of full training before the Championship is due to return. They would be able to train alone at home in the meantime.

If confirmed, it would be the second positive test returned at Preston after the club announced on Saturday that striker Jason Stockley tested positive and is self-isolating - and it’s understood he was involved in a non-contact session on Friday.

Preston are due to play Cardiff City in their second match back, the two teams each chasing a play-off spot.

Tuesday's worrying developments will serve as a dilemma for the EFL, who had worked hard to resume the second tier in line with the Premier League, and raises questions over the viability of Project Restart in the top two divisions.

Championship clubs were permitted to begin contact training on Tuesday once they submitted updated policies to the EFL. Preston and league leaders Leeds United were among those teams to begin.

Preston North End have been contacted for comment.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Bad news for the Championship:

Postby Foghorn65 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:00 pm

We've had an unnamed positive test though
Foghorn65

Postby LeonSDC » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:35 pm

There’s always going to be positive tests, the individuals self isolate and there’s over 2 weeks before the restart, plenty of time to do plenty of tests. If someone shows a positive test they don’t play, simple.
LeonSDC

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:37 pm

LeonSDC wrote:There’s always going to be positive tests, the individuals self isolate and there’s over 2 weeks before the restart, plenty of time to do plenty of tests. If someone shows a positive test they don’t play, simple.

That’s my take on it too. Thought I may be missing something though.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:05 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:We've had an unnamed positive test though

Member of non playing staff I read. One of around 9 positives from the 100s tested at the time.
Can't see how this will have any impact on fixtures starting on given date tbh.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Sam ReaN » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:09 pm

You cant hide away from the virus. Its throughout the world and footballers cant hide away. So this is expected really because there is no stopping the virus you might as well put up with it.
Also On The Sam ReaN YouTube Channel
Cardiff City Highlights On Bits From The Action
The ReaN Show Series 1-6
CardiffFanTV / On Facebook & YouTube
Vlogging Adventures
Video Games
SUBSCRIBE IN 2024
Sam ReaN

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:11 pm

Sam ReaN wrote:You cant hide away from the virus. Its throughout the world and footballers cant hide away. So this is expected really because there is no stopping the virus you might as well put up with it.

I agree that all are likely to get it but, as with the footballers, the vast majority either have zero or very light symptoms.
Last edited by bluebirdoct1962 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby spikeferndale » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:12 pm

My understanding of what is stated above, is that players involved in that training session would all have to self isolate for 14 days. If that is the case you can't expect a team who has only had 7 days contact training to participate in a proper match.
I think this will throw the whole concept of starting on June 20th into doubt. If other teams are also affected in the meantime they will probably have to knock it on the head.
spikeferndale

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:17 pm

spikeferndale wrote:My understanding of what is stated above, is that players involved in that training session would all have to self isolate for 14 days. If that is the case you can't expect a team who has only had 7 days contact training to participate in a proper match.
I think this will throw the whole concept of starting on June 20th into doubt. If other teams are also affected in the meantime they will probably have to knock it on the head.

I see what you're saying but if so, it is massive news and there's nothing at all on BBC sports app. Also, if any player in any of the top 2 leagues tests positive at any time, it will pretty much wipe out the whole squad.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:23 pm

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... t-22128479

Have a read of this. It seems that football is being treated differently re isolation
Quote -
''However football is being treated differently and Preston’s medical staff have the discretion to decide if any players were in prolonged close contact and need to self-isolate.''
bluebirdoct1962

Postby TopCat CCFC » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:42 pm

spikeferndale wrote:My understanding of what is stated above, is that players involved in that training session would all have to self isolate for 14 days. If that is the case you can't expect a team who has only had 7 days contact training to participate in a proper match.

At last someone who can see the bigger picture :thumbup: it's called Test - Track - Trace or now Test and Track .
I asked this question last week to 3 on here who post and run off !!! Fair play to Eppin Blue and Bluebina who posted ;)

This was the point i was going to make - It's 7 days with Covid and 14 days who you come into contact .
So if a player test positive by this Gov rules the rest of the squad are out for 2 weeks ( same as you and me if we get the call that we have come into contact with a positive test )

Let's take 1 step further - We play a match - again 1 of our players test positive - same again the squad are out for 14 days.
But the team we played their players are out for 14 days - that's 4 teams now not playing or 8 if mid week games.

Somewhere a long the line the Gov / FA will / might test players on match day to get around this happening ??
Then we might get to " Our main player is out " - Covid - not suspended / injured etc - why should we play !!!
TopCat CCFC

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:48 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:

At last someone who can see the bigger picture :thumbup: it's called Test - Track - Trace or now Test and Track .
I asked this question last week to 3 on here who post and run off !!! Fair play to Eppin Blue and Bluebina who posted ;)

This was the point i was going to make - It's 7 days with Covid and 14 days who you come into contact .
So if a player test positive by this Gov rules the rest of the squad are out for 2 weeks ( same as you and me if we get the call that we have come into contact with a positive test )

Let's take 1 step further - We play a match - again 1 of our players test positive - same again the squad are out for 14 days.
But the team we played their players are out for 14 days - that's 4 teams now not playing or 8 if mid week games.

Somewhere a long the line the Gov / FA will / might test players on match day to get around this happening ??
Then we might get to " Our main player is out " - Covid - not suspended / injured etc - why should we play !!!

That all makes sense TC but it appears footballers are going to be treated slightly differently. This is a quote from the Daily Mirror Online -
''However football is being treated differently and Preston’s medical staff have the discretion to decide if any players were in prolonged close contact and need to self-isolate.''
If they aren't treated differently (and I'm certainly not in any way saying that they should be) I can't see how any football can take place in the near future as there will bound to be the odd few cases with the amount of testing going on.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby TopCat CCFC » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:01 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

That all makes sense TC but it appears footballers are going to be treated slightly differently. This is a quote from the Daily Mirror Online -
If they aren't treated differently (and I'm certainly not in any way saying that they should be) I can't see how any football can take place in the near future as there will bound to be the odd few cases with the amount of testing going on.

I did read your post after mate - and Yes they will try and find a way around it all - To get the job done .
But then again we will have people who think that it's 1 rule for 1 and 1 for others ( if they/we are told 14 days )
Also teams in danger eg. going down / play-off might find ways to get out of this mate .
TopCat CCFC

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:06 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

I did read your post after mate - and Yes they will try and find a way around it all - To get the job done .
But then again we will have people who think that it's 1 rule for 1 and 1 for others ( if they/we are told 14 days )
Also teams in danger eg. going down / play-off might find ways to get out of this mate .

Sorry mate, wasn't sure that you'd seen it. I do agree with all you say. Football authorities have gone too far down the line for it to be cancelled now so it'll be interesting to see what will happen mate if any of the scenarios that you've highlighted happen. :happy1:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby bluesince62 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:16 pm

LeonSDC wrote:There’s always going to be positive tests, the individuals self isolate and there’s over 2 weeks before the restart, plenty of time to do plenty of tests. If someone shows a positive test they don’t play, simple.

So with this new track n trace system in place,stating if you have been in contact with a person who has tested positive, you MUST isolate for 14 days,even if you have no symtoms, or are football players exempt from this?? There are as you say, over two weeks before restart,there could also be a few more positive results in that period too,just my opinion,but I believe it is too soon to start back,as much as I am missing my football fix,safety has to come first,these players also have family's to consider. :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby Crayfish » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:40 am

Sam ReaN wrote:You cant hide away from the virus. Its throughout the world and footballers cant hide away. So this is expected really because there is no stopping the virus you might as well put up with it.

Well said. If the virus hysterics are going to over react every time someone tests positive we are not only going to have to cancel the rest of this season but next season as well. Most football clubs we go bankrupt and football as a professional sport in the UK will no longer exist. There is a covid Taliban who seem to want to shut everything down semi permanently and they need to be ignored.
Crayfish

Postby Bluebina » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:03 am

Just treat it as another injury, if a player tests positive he comes back when fit. I think football will have to be excused from all that test and track malarky, it's the entertainment business and will bring back a bit of joy to the nation.

We need to finish this season, and then we can look to the future.
Bluebina

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:23 am

Bluebina wrote:Just treat it as another injury, if a player tests positive he comes back when fit. I think football will have to be excused from all that test and track malarky, it's the entertainment business and will bring back a bit of joy to the nation.

We need to finish this season, and then we can look to the future.

Yup. Can’t argue with any of that.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:54 pm

Crayfish wrote:

Well said. If the virus hysterics are going to over react every time someone tests positive we are not only going to have to cancel the rest of this season but next season as well. Most football clubs we go bankrupt and football as a professional sport in the UK will no longer exist. There is a covid Taliban who seem to want to shut everything down semi permanently and they need to be ignored.

Spot on. There’s been a covid Taliban on here from day one constantly going on and on about 100% lockdown.
Completely over exaggerated in my opinion.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Sven » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:39 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Crayfish wrote:

Spot on. There’s been a covid Taliban on here from day one constantly going on and on about 100% lockdown.

Paul, like me, you have largely stayed away from the nonsensical stuff that the usual suspects have spouted on here and you are spot on above :thumbright:

The sad thing is several have used 'secondary' user names to hide who they are when posting otherwise

One (you don't have to be a genius to guess that identity) has used several just this week :oops:

The quicker we get back to some kind of normal, clear the decks start talking football again the better :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:51 pm

Sven wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Crayfish wrote:

Paul, like me, you have largely stayed away from the nonsensical stuff that the usual suspects have spouted on here and you are spot on above :thumbright:

The sad thing is several have used 'secondary' user names to hide who they are when posting otherwise

One (you don't have to be a genius to guess that identity) has used several just this week :oops:

The quicker we get back to some kind of normal, clear the decks start talking football again the better :ayatollah:

Spot on Chris, so many loons on here spouting their shite that I’ve been virtually non existent (like many other proper posters) on here for a long time.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby skidemin » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:36 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

its not just football , I don't know of any supermarkets , chemists, small shops , distribution depots etc etc that have had to close because of a covid case causing everyone to isolate from day 1.. does this mean A} that all these hundreds of thousands of premises have collectively had zero covid cases.. or .B } operate to different rules ?
skidemin

Postby Foghorn65 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Economically no one will close if they can stay open by ensuring they "follow" the rules of lockdown.

Without saying where I work, it has been farcical. No 2m distancing, hardly any masks or sanitizing provided.

Massive amounts of staff.
Foghorn65

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:43 pm

skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

its not just football , I don't know of any supermarkets , chemists, small shops , distribution depots etc etc that have had to close because of a covid case causing everyone to isolate from day 1.. does this mean A} that all these hundreds of thousands of premises have collectively had zero covid cases.. or .B } operate to different rules ?

Or maybe C } This has only been going on for 3 days in Wales .
TopCat CCFC

Postby skidemin » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:30 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

yes the virus arrive Sunday.. :?
skidemin

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:35 pm

skidemin wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

What do you mean Sunday :?
TopCat CCFC

Postby skidemin » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:04 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
skidemin wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

What do you mean Sunday :?

3 days ago was sunday..
but all the places ive named have continued right through the lockdown... and initially it was oh if someone gets it blahblah everyone will have to isolate .. didn't happen...or of course none of these 7 million people caught corona virus..
skidemin

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:23 pm

Skidemin - Thank You for getting back to my question - So Let's agree that 3 days ago was Sunday 31st MAY :thumbup:

So to use your words from your post below -

I don't know of any supermarkets , chemists, small shops , distribution depots etc etc that have had to close because of a covid case causing everyone to isolate from day 1..

Why would these places to be shut ?? :o - When this Rule came in the next day on the Mon 1st JUNE ??
To be fair i don't know of any above closed = It's only been 3 days = As you would know :? :roll:
TopCat CCFC

Postby bluesince62 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:47 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I see what you're saying but if so, it is massive news and there's nothing at all on BBC sports app. Also, if any player in any of the top 2 leagues tests positive at any time, it will pretty much wipe out the whole squad

Evening fellow 62r :thumbup: didn't a spurs player test positive today? I'm still not sure the timIng is right though,for football to restart though.? I guess we will have to see what pans out over next couple of weeks I suppose. :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:33 pm

Leeds United’s Premier League promotion hopes have appeared to suffer a set-back with reports emerging an individual from the club has tested positive for coronavirus.

The EFL confirmed on Wednesday evening that there had been nine new positive cases in the latest round of testing.

Those confirmed cases came from six different clubs in the second-tier after 1,094 players and staff were tested between Saturday, May 30, and Tuesday, June 2.

Following on from the EFL’s statement, Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield and Preston all confirmed that they each had one employee among the nine positive cases.

And now according to a report from Sportsmail, at least one individual at the Elland Road club has tested positive for Covid-19 in the latest round of testing.

If the report was to be correct, and there is no indication at the minute that it isn’t, then it would be the first confirmed case that the Championship leaders have had since they returned to training last week.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Next

Return to General Chat