' Schooling '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ' Schooling '

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:37 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Question for people especially with kids in school? Teachers in Wales want schools to start in sept which is a good idea... but they are talking about having classes split into smaller groups ( social distancing) mon/thurs basically part time teaching with Friday clear to clean schools and conference call kids... is part time learning any good especially as it may he 6months or more having social distancing?

Smaller groups will have to happen in the short term so p/t schooling is pretty much the only option for the moment imo. Until there’s a vaccine or the R level drops to something like 0.2 I can’t see how it can change.
bluebirdoct1962

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:42 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Question for people especially with kids in school? Teachers in Wales want schools to start in sept which is a good idea... but they are talking about having classes split into smaller groups ( social distancing) mon/thurs basically part time teaching with Friday clear to clean schools and conference call kids... is part time learning any good especially as it may he 6months or more having social distancing?

Smaller groups will have to happen in the short term so p/t schooling is pretty much the only option for the moment imo. Until there’s a vaccine or the R level drops to something like 0.2 I can’t see how it can change.

Going on experience part time education is not good, so trying to put 5 full days into half days cannot work no matter how good teachers or pupils are! I am referring to Sept rather than now! And we could be talking 6months or more and waiting for a vaccine is not an option as no time scale , have you noticed vaccine talk as disappeared it is not that simple unfortunately... then there's parents and work that is generally worked around school hours cannot expect everyone to adapt work hours to suit teachers and social distancing someone really needs to get a grip on what can be done by Sept otherwise kids wont meet standards required for exams.
pembroke allan

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:25 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Going on experience part time education is not good, so trying to put 5 full days into half days cannot work no matter how good teachers or pupils are! I am referring to Sept rather than now! And we could be talking 6months or more and waiting for a vaccine is not an option as no time scale , have you noticed vaccine talk as disappeared it is not that simple unfortunately... then there's parents and work that is generally worked around school hours cannot expect everyone to adapt work hours to suit teachers and social distancing someone really needs to get a grip on what can be done by Sept otherwise kids wont meet standards required for exams.

Can’t disagree with any of what you say but the whole world is onto the vaccine. One day I reckon (hope?!?) it’ll be big news that there’s been a breakthrough.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:09 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Can’t disagree with any of what you say but the whole world is onto the vaccine. One day I reckon (hope?!?) it’ll be big news that there’s been a breakthrough.

I hope So as I have flu jab every year ! But corvid is same family as other viruses inc cold and no vaccine found so not that easy..
Just heared drakeford plan for schools.... open end month to sort out things for Sept but staggered times and only a third of pupils at one time? How do parents go to work if got kids starting different times and what about childcare? the list goes on and not forgetting lost schooling are teachers going to work longer a week to keep up? Also not compulsory to send kids to school and finally teachers are not happy with going back (no surprise there) such a mishmash of a proposal :roll:
pembroke allan

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:27 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I hope So as I have flu jab every year ! But corvid is same family as other viruses inc cold and no vaccine found so not that easy..
Just heared drakeford plan for schools.... open end month to sort out things for Sept but staggered times and only a third of pupils at one time? How do parents go to work if got kids starting different times and what about childcare? the list goes on and not forgetting lost schooling are teachers going to work longer a week to keep up? Also not compulsory to send kids to school and finally teachers are not happy with going back (no surprise there) such a mishmash of a proposal :roll:

Please don’t tar all teachers with same brush mate. I’m busting a gut to go back and so are the other 14 others in my school.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:41 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Please don’t tar all teachers with same brush mate. I’m busting a gut to go back and so are the other 14 others in my school.

Sorry wasn't just read the statement as a whole and the reaction from various people... did say before like all professions theres good and not so good had it in nhs where I worked... and tbh there are lots people dont want to go back work! but dont envy you trying to teach in such circumstances being proposed, still think sept is better time to start as i stated previously take care going back :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:58 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Sorry wasn't just read the statement as a whole and the reaction from various people... did say before like all professions theres good and not so good had it in nhs where I worked... and tbh there are lots people dont want to go back work! but dont envy you trying to teach in such circumstances being proposed, still think sept is better time to start as i stated previously take care going back :thumbup:

No problem mate.
What’s the chances of Antigua any time soon mate? :thumbup:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Mulberry » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:55 pm

I'm also a teacher but in a completely different setting to the norm.

I teach excluded/illhealth/'problem' kids in community settings.

The issue we as a team have is some of our settings are closed down and will not facilitate our using the usual venues.

Home is not an option for many due to basic stuff such as lack of decent internet or even a decent table at which to work.

We'd love to be back at it, but we will possibly be the last back - due to the circumstances of our pupils.

At the moment we are blending a Whatsapp group for posting PDF'd work with dropping work off in envelopes.

Due to the nature of our pupils, a lot of the work isn't being done, but alas, we can't stand over them or even cajole from afar.

This is a situation with no right or wrong answer with myriad facets.

A one size fits all approach simply won't work, and the current mismash advice/approach will 'fail' in some way as it has too many aspects to allow it to fit settings from a brand new ultra modern high school to a small Valleys Victorian built school.
Mulberry

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:07 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

No problem mate.
What’s the chances of Antigua any time soon mate? :thumbup:

Funny you should ask was on fone to virgin
about things this morning! booked flight and accommodation back in feb at moment all set for 23dec to 9th jan Antigua opened ip recently so unless theres a deteriation again we shall be off, lucky for us even if have to isolate in Antigua because of where we're going it wont disrupt holiday.
pembroke allan

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:04 pm

Whitty: We have to balance school closures with impact on children's education

Asked about parents not wanting to send their children to school, Chris Whitty says he will "give an answer like a doctor", which is to explain the risk and benefits and "some form of balancing act".

Children not having an education has significant, lifelong affect, he said. But there are four risks to balance reopening schools against which is informing government advice and parents should be aware of:

The risk to children - although overall it looks like children are much less at risk than adults. This is not a disease that picks out children.

Parents of particularly primary school children are generally not in the age group at high risk if they contract Covid-19. Only a very small number of parents are in the at risk age group

We are trying to walk a line between the impact on education, and the impact on transmission, he says. But as numbers go down this is becoming less of a concern.

There is a risk for grandparents - but people need to make sensible decisions based on their own circumstance.

But Prof Whitty stressed at the end that the risk for children is low, which is why the government has started to reopen schools.

Sir Patrick Vallance was also asked whether Sage specifically gave advice that a quarantine on international arrivals should be imposed from June 8.

He said Sage it did not advise on timing - that is a policy matter for ministers.
TopCat CCFC

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:54 pm

I still can’t quite see how this is all going to work. Many primary schools May not have the room for 1/3 of the school back in at anyone time due to smaller classroom sizes. Also where are they going to get the Extra teachers from? Finally if they deep clean the school after 1 lot has been in and it has to be left for 48 hours how are they going to get the next lot of kids in? Kids are using 1 lots of equipment and not sharing so what happens when the next lot come in? They’ll be using the same things? They are going to prepare for September as a different kind of school not the same as before. If the whole school goes back in September they won’t be able to maintain any sort of social distancing as all the children will have to be back in their classrooms Due to the space. Just a few worries I have.
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:41 pm

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:I still can’t quite see how this is all going to work. Many primary schools May not have the room for 1/3 of the school back in at anyone time due to smaller classroom sizes. Also where are they going to get the Extra teachers from? Finally if they deep clean the school after 1 lot has been in and it has to be left for 48 hours how are they going to get the next lot of kids in? Kids are using 1 lots of equipment and not sharing so what happens when the next lot come in? They’ll be using the same things? They are going to prepare for September as a different kind of school not the same as before. If the whole school goes back in September they won’t be able to maintain any sort of social distancing as all the children will have to be back in their classrooms Due to the space. Just a few worries I have.

Kids will be part time mon to thurs ! Friday is for deep cleaning of school and catching up , inbetween time extra cleansing materials available and limited use of equipment with no sharing with other classes.... after that there is the question I've asked how do kids get to school with social distancing in place and having different start times ? My school is St David's comp take 406 pupils age 11 to 18 90% come by transport either car or mainly
by bus from upto 16miles away ! Haven't heard from WG a plan for this to happen :o
pembroke allan

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:54 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:I still can’t quite see how this is all going to work. Many primary schools May not have the room for 1/3 of the school back in at anyone time due to smaller classroom sizes. Also where are they going to get the Extra teachers from? Finally if they deep clean the school after 1 lot has been in and it has to be left for 48 hours how are they going to get the next lot of kids in? Kids are using 1 lots of equipment and not sharing so what happens when the next lot come in? They’ll be using the same things? They are going to prepare for September as a different kind of school not the same as before. If the whole school goes back in September they won’t be able to maintain any sort of social distancing as all the children will have to be back in their classrooms Due to the space. Just a few worries I have.

Kids will be part time mon to thurs ! Friday is for deep cleaning of school and catching up , inbetween time extra cleansing materials available and limited use of equipment with no sharing with other classes.... after that there is the question I've asked how do kids get to school with social distancing in place and having different start times ? My school is St David's comp take 406 pupils age 11 to 18 90% come by transport either car or mainly
by bus from upto 16miles away ! Haven't heard from WG a plan for this to happen :o

I know the kids will be in mon-thurs but shouldn’t deep cleaning occur after every year group swop? For example year 3-4 are in Monday. Well Tuesday will need deep cleaning before the next year group comes in???
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:10 pm

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I know the kids will be in mon-thurs but shouldn’t deep cleaning occur after every year group swop? For example year 3-4 are in Monday. Well Tuesday will need deep cleaning before the next year group comes in???

Not sure it was what the proposal they put forward of how it could work? Personally think they are being ambitious thinking they can get this to work whilst younger kids will be hard to control for longer periods the older kids will have different problems to solve especially around class work, they seem to think can supplement part time learning with zoom calls! That's ok short term but way it's looking your talking next year before dropping social distancing..... not accounting for problems transport wise which upto now WG are silent about
pembroke allan

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:06 pm

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's not going to be one rule for all. For example, I was talking to a teacher from another schools who's been told by her head that their school will be open to children mon, tue, thu & fri with deep clean and teacher PPA taking place on the wednesday. General cleaning will also take place after every day.
Our school's plan is similar but it shows that there should be a little bit of leeway on how schools manage this.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby RV Casual » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:12 pm

Iv seen childcare brought into this once or twice now.

That's irrelevant as to whether schools go back or not.

School is school not a babysitting service.

The childcare situation for everyone, including myself shouldn't come into this.
RV Casual

Postby Foghorn65 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:14 pm

I realise we need to get back to some sort of normality (whatever that is going to be) BUT until we have a successful vaccine and/or a drastic reduction cases and deaths then I'm afraid my nipper stays home
Foghorn65

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:29 pm

RV Casual wrote:Iv seen childcare brought into this once or twice now.

The childcare situation for everyone, including myself shouldn't come into this.

It's not about school being there for childcare ! Its the fact that there is a lot of parents work in line with school hours you stagger school time that can have serious consequences for families finances especially if got 2 kids going in at different times...also on subject of childcare this can and probably will effect childcare even for teachers, no childcare no job that simple for people as child comes first
pembroke allan

Postby RV Casual » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:57 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

It's not about school being there for childcare ! Its the fact that there is a lot of parents work in line with school hours you stagger school time that can have serious consequences for families finances especially if got 2 kids going in at different times...also on subject of childcare this can and probably will effect childcare even for teachers, no childcare no job that simple for people as child comes first

Absolutely and that's life mate. It's a new world now. People will have to cut their cloth accordingly and some will lose jobs in order to put their kids first. Everyone has to do their bit, it might not be easy but people have had it good for a long time now a few years of difficulty won't hurt the next generation in the long run.
RV Casual

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:06 pm

RV Casual wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Absolutely and that's life mate. It's a new world now. People will have to cut their cloth accordingly and some will lose jobs in order to put their kids first. Everyone has to do their bit, it might not be easy but people have had it good for a long time now a few years of difficulty won't hurt the next generation in the long run.

Suppose it's a case someone's loss is someone's gain as sure wont be any shortage of people to take over a job given up ... I'm one of extremely lucky people who dont get adversely effected by things! Dont even miss footy may even stop going :o
pembroke allan

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:20 pm

More schools shelve plans to reopen on Monday

More schools have shelved plans to reopen on Monday, after new data suggested coronavirus could still be spreading in the North West of England.

Health officials at Blackburn and Darwen Council, which runs 85 schools in Lancashire, reportedly emailed local schools on Friday evening advising them not to reopen to more pupils on Monday morning.

The same advice has been given by officials in Tameside, Greater Manchester.

It comes after new data showed the reproductive rate, known as the R value, is higher than the crucial threshold of 1, in the North West region.

The R value refers to the average number of people that will contract coronavirus from an infected person.

If it is 1 or higher, the virus will spread exponentially through the population, while a value less than 1 indicates the virus is in decline.
TopCat CCFC

Postby jimmy_rat » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:00 pm

@ProfKarolSikora: Fascinating study coming out of Ireland.

They tracked six confirmed cases in a school setting and didn't find one further transmission within the school.

There were over 1000 contacts.

Families should feel confident sending their kids to school - I do for my grandchildren.
jimmy_rat

Postby jimmy_rat » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:02 pm

Studies and statistics starting to show kids don't transmit it, hardly get 'ill' from it and certainly don't die from it.
jimmy_rat

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:19 pm

If councils are going to use R values then could be long time before kids go to school if got councils saying no how can parents feel confident ! We are getting a country to scared to do anything that we need to do (like work/school) but are ok demonstrating or going on trips to beach or national parks!! :o
pembroke allan

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:37 pm

Missing school is bigger risk than catching Covid for children, warns government adviser

Keeping children out of school poses a far greater risk to them that coronavirus, a Government adviser has said.

The impact of Covid-19 on children’s health is “miniscule”, but spending a prolonged period out of school is devastating their development, Dr Gavin Morgan said.

His intervention comes amid rising concern that millions of children now face spending six months out of school, with the majority of pupils not expected to return to the classroom until September at the earliest.
TopCat CCFC

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:52 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Missing school is bigger risk than catching Covid for children, warns government adviser

Keeping children out of school poses a far greater risk to them that coronavirus, a Government adviser has said.

The impact of Covid-19 on children’s health is “miniscule”, but spending a prolonged period out of school is devastating their development, Dr Gavin Morgan said.

His intervention comes amid rising concern that millions of children now face spending six months out of school, with the majority of pupils not expected to return to the classroom until September at the earliest.

Can only see lots unemployed 18yr olds end next September as can see exam results based on part time schooling... and what about uni? Going to be a lot of disappointed kids unable to get grades for career they want. :roll:
pembroke allan

Postby skidemin » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:51 pm

pembroke allan wrote:If councils are going to use R values then could be long time before kids go to school if got councils saying no how can parents feel confident ! We are getting a country to scared to do anything that we need to do (like work/school) but are ok demonstrating or going on trips to beach or national parks!! :o

ive asked a few people how to work this R number out and can they show me the figures used to come to the conclusions being used..
im yet to have an answer.. truth is its a guess
skidemin

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:09 pm

skidemin wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:If councils are going to use R values then could be long time before kids go to school if got councils saying no how can parents feel confident ! We are getting a country to scared to do anything that we need to do (like work/school) but are ok demonstrating or going on trips to beach or national parks!! :o

ive asked a few people how to work this R number out and can they show me the figures used to come to the conclusions being used..

As far as aware it's down to multiplication of numbers "example" if 1 person got virus they will infect 2 others if 2 people got it 4 be infected and so forth so if number is lower than 1 infection rates are not a problem that needs addressing above one something needs to be done like restrictions of movement! Figure used to work out infection rate is presumably dividing corvid positive people to population in an area? hence at moment northwest England is higher than other parts uk so have said schools stay closed... not sure if this is way they do it but makes sense as I see it.. :old:
pembroke allan

Postby skidemin » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:33 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
skidemin wrote:

As far as aware it's down to multiplication of numbers "example" if 1 person got virus they will infect 2 others if 2 people got it 4 be infected and so forth so if number is lower than 1 infection rates are not a problem that needs addressing above one something needs to be done like restrictions of movement! Figure used to work out infection rate is presumably dividing corvid positive people to population in an area? hence at moment northwest England is higher than other parts uk so have said schools stay closed... not sure if this is way they do it but makes sense as I see it.. :old:

oh ive read all this and looked into it
no Allan.. with all due respect.....im asking for the equation used not a vague explanation.....and... the numbers they actually use.... you haven't got an answer and will not find one anywhere... and none of the figures on infections given over the months have tallied with this mythical figure.... not that politicians and scientists can even be consistent when giving it.... its a magical number that can be whatever you want it to be...
skidemin

Postby jimmy_rat » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:52 pm

A whole article on it skidemin...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52944037

Yet. Still no explanation.

Basically a load of scientific advisors take a guess, then a guess is made on their guess.

Considering Imperial College were the souls responsible for the government's response, don't forget 500k deaths in the UK they said, I wouldn't trust any of the figures! They've truly had a mare.
jimmy_rat

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat