' Schooling '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Schooling '

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:48 am

Opinions on children going back to school?

I actually wish my daughters were going back to Spanish school , 6 months off hmmm?

They are in state school, but from today I have paid through the Spanish system 150euros for the whole month of June 2hrs a day for Maths and Catalan lessons with just 3 children per class.

Personally I don’t agree the main schools being closed now as the state schools are already half the size of the UK state ones. But we have to respect their decision.

Spain yesterday

2 covid related deaths
80 new Covid cases
Lockdown extended 2 weeks
Schools return in September

UK yesterday

113 covid related deaths
8000 new cases
Lockdown eased
Schools go back TODAY

Hmmmmm
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

' Schooling '

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Schooling

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:38 am

Forever Blue wrote:Opinions on children going back to school?

I actually wish my daughters were going back to Spanish school , 6 months off hmmm?

They are in state school, but from today I have paid through the Spanish system 150euros for the whole month of June 2hrs a day for Maths and Catalan lessons with just 3 children per class.

Personally I don’t agree the main schools being closed now as the state schools are already half the size of the UK state ones. But we have to respect their decision.

Spain yesterday

2 covid related deaths
80 new Covid cases
Lockdown extended 2 weeks
Schools return in September

UK yesterday

113 covid related deaths
8000 new cases
Lockdown eased
Schools go back TODAY

Hmmmmm

It’s a tough one Annis.
I’m a teacher and my thoughts are that we SHOULD go back. I can’t see what’s going to change between now and September to make much of a difference tbh.
Social distancing will be tough but I’ve got two grandchildren 4 & 6 and they both have a good understanding of it.
We could watch the rest of Europe and follow them 2-3 weeks after I suppose.
To get the economy going again we have to start back soon.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Foghorn65 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:48 am

The importance of education is not lost of me BUT since I've been blessed to have a child now aged 7, I am terrified to send him outside.

We have been attempting home schooling which I know is nowhere near the real thing.

So much uncertainty hardly assuaging my fears.

He's staying home.
Foghorn65

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:50 am

Foghorn65 wrote:The importance of education is not lost of me BUT since I've been blessed to have a child now aged 7, I am terrified to send him outside.

We have been attempting home schooling which I know is nowhere near the real thing.

He's staying home.

I’ll be honest and say that I do t blame you mate.
Genuine question, what would need to happen for you to change your mind?
bluebirdoct1962

Postby epping blue » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:09 am

Its being led to some extent by each schools governing body which will on the face of it make it look like a very inconsistent approach. On the whole they're a cautious but quite often a dominant figure supporting one or the other views will sway the decision.

Lets be honest if it was down to purely risk of serious sickness or worse to the child then there'd be little excuse for not opening up immediately and to greater extent than currently planned. The risk to the child certainly at primary level is as close to zero as it can be. But clearly there's the staff and they're being asked to consider the local transmission risk as well.

So for instance our local school decided yesterday to delay opening tomorrow for a couple of weeks when they can adjust the wording of the risk assessments and amend some procedures. Mainly they biding time in the hope the infection rate falls. I think they could have opened in the limited way proposed, low risk to the kids, youngish staff, few BAME kids and no BAME staff. No children or staff use public transport to access the school. Testing facilities available within 5 miles. If we cant start here now, then I don't see how they start 10 miles away in the East London at any time.

I'm not wholly against not re starting though. As much as I think we need to start moving towards some normality if the schools didn't go back until Sept. it wouldn't be a massive issue. If it helps keep the transmission rate down then maybe its worth it. Government are quite rightly worried the vulnerable children though. Despite being allowed to school, generally they are not attending. Nobodies seeing them and the chances of picking up on the signs of abuse are almost nil.
epping blue

Postby glas » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:27 am

Foghorn65 wrote:The importance of education is not lost of me BUT since I've been blessed to have a child now aged 7, I am terrified to send him outside.

He's staying home.

Why are you choosing to keep him home?
Is it because you are afraid for him personally, or that he could carry it from a teacher/another child to you and your family?
Not having a go, as it is your choice (your family, your child) and so must do what you believe is best for you. I respect that and accept it as the correct decision for you. You must put your child and family first.

But there are so many people confusing the situation (many for political reasons) that it is frightening to many and causes so much confusion.
glas

Postby Bigmarkw » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:32 am

I’m pretty sure there be no support for only white kids being allowed back. Jeez. I don’t even think tommy robins would say that. Lol.
Bigmarkw

Postby Sneggyblubird » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:50 am

Can't get the country back to work until the kids go back to school. Thats a fact but are they rushing it?I think so and I also think a lot of parents won't be bullied either.I know my grandchildren won't go back yet whatever the Gov. says.
Sneggyblubird

Postby Foghorn65 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:56 am

Glad

I'm so scared that he may get infected.
Foghorn65

Postby Foghorn65 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:57 am

Unfortunately I suffer from both OCD and PTSD so irrational fears are my norm :(
Foghorn65

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:07 am

My beef with this is the unions and teachers have only found reasons not to open not once have they put forward a proposal or idea to get kids back to school..... wales wont be back until july that was stated ages ago but that leaves just 2wks before holidays , so why not simply say all kids back in September? No way can you teach kids part time in manor teachers propose like 15 kids a class go on alternative days... some morning some afternoon! Facts are dont have the teachers dont have the room , cannot see social distancing being waived and any bright ideas as to how you get kids to school on transport come Sept?
pembroke allan

Postby Bluebina » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:18 am

epping blue wrote:Its being led to some extent by each schools governing body which will on the face of it make it look like a very inconsistent approach. On the whole they're a cautious but quite often a dominant figure supporting one or the other views will sway the decision.

Lets be honest if it was down to purely risk of serious sickness or worse to the child then there'd be little excuse for not opening up immediately and to greater extent than currently planned. The risk to the child certainly at primary level is as close to zero as it can be. But clearly there's the staff and they're being asked to consider the local transmission risk as well.

So for instance our local school decided yesterday to delay opening tomorrow for a couple of weeks when they can adjust the wording of the risk assessments and amend some procedures. Mainly they biding time in the hope the infection rate falls. I think they could have opened in the limited way proposed, low risk to the kids, youngish staff, few BAME kids and no BAME staff. No children or staff use public transport to access the school. Testing facilities available within 5 miles. If we cant start here now, then I don't see how they start 10 miles away in the East London at any time.

I'm not wholly against not re starting though. As much as I think we need to start moving towards some normality if the schools didn't go back until Sept. it wouldn't be a massive issue. If it helps keep the transmission rate down then maybe its worth it. Government are quite rightly worried the vulnerable children though. Despite being allowed to school, generally they are not attending. Nobodies seeing them and the chances of picking up on the signs of abuse are almost nil.

I think you are right, I would be happy for my Grandaughter to go back we have to get the country moving and there is virtually no risk to young children, the flu has been shown to be more dangerous.

As you say though the teachers and the unions are fighting it, so I don't think they will get any constructive schooling until September. With the Summer break so close they may as well wait until the new school year now and make sure they are ready for full normal schooling.
Bluebina

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:36 pm

Bluebina wrote:
epping blue wrote:Its being led to some extent by each schools governing body which will on the face of it make it look like a very inconsistent approach. On the whole they're a cautious but quite often a dominant figure supporting one or the other views will sway the decision.

I think you are right, I would be happy for my Grandaughter to go back we have to get the country moving and there is virtually no risk to young children, the flu has been shown to be more dangerous.

As you say though the teachers and the unions are fighting it, so I don't think they will get any constructive schooling until September. With the Summer break so close they may as well wait until the new school year now and make sure they are ready for full normal schooling.

When WG decided wont open in June they should come out and say open after summer holidays! Now you got situation that teachers and unions can find any excuse not to open ? social distancing needs to be finished by Sept or get the same situation got now not safe ect ect... also with social distancing someone is having to be very creative in getting kids on busses .... what is not an option is the miss mash of proposals like kids in morning next lot afternoon only groups of 15 ect ect
pembroke allan

Re: ' Schooling '

Postby skidemin » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:37 pm

some people have worked right through and sent their children to school...

no doubt a year from now they will receive a plastic ITIUTA { I took it up the arse } medal...that should make up for missing out on 10k in furlough/grants and spending months sat in the sun with their children ?
skidemin

Postby epping blue » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:06 pm

skidemin wrote:some people have worked right through and sent their children to school...

no doubt a year from now they will receive a plastic ITIUTA { I took it up the arse } medal...that should make up for missing out on 10k in furlough/grants and spending months sat in the sun with their children ?

My wife's NHS although clinical not involved in this. Any way in April she got a 1.1% pay rise. It triggered an extra 3% pension threshold payment so her wages went down by 2% !
epping blue

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:12 pm

Primary schools in England welcomed back students in Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 - but up to half of eligible students may have stayed home, surveys suggest

As England's lockdown measures started to ease, car showrooms and open-air markets were also allowed to reopen

Ikea reopened 19 of its stores in England and Northern Ireland, with customers forming huge queues

Clothing retailer Primark, which is due to open all its English branches in two weeks' time, warned customers not to expect "special discounts" despite a build-up of stock

Wales has launched its test and trace system, as it relaxes its lockdown to allow two households to meet at a distance outside
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby TopCat CCFC » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:19 pm

Up to 550,000 children stuck at home as councils tell schools not to open

Up to 550,000 primary school pupils were kept at home on Monday morning after more than 50 councils opposed Boris Johnson's plan to reopen classrooms to Reception, Year One and Year Six students.

Councils across England sided with teaching unions that have argued it is still not safe to send pupils back to school, with the rate of coronavirus infection in some areas still high.

At least 54 councils told schools not to reopen on June 1, or left the decision up to headteachers.

More than half a million primary school pupils who would have gone back to school on Monday could still be at home, receiving home schooling from their parents or filling in worksheets online.

Schools in Brighton and Hove, Calderdale, East Yorkshire and the Wirral have been told to stay closed, while some councils in London have told schools they can make up their own minds, even though the virus level is lower in the capital.
TopCat CCFC

Postby RV Casual » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:12 pm

pembroke allan wrote:My beef with this is the unions and teachers have only found reasons not to open not once have they put forward a proposal or idea to get kids back to school.?

But harsh that mate.

First of all Teachers are working, most have never stopped and are still on site looking after key workers kids. The rest are at home doing their best to interact with the kids by whatever means possible.

I don't think Teachers get much of a say in it tbh and will be led by what they are told at the end of the day and as for the unions they are just doing what any good union would and looking after the wellbeing of their members,

My kids teacher has been nothing short of amazing. I don't think it's a case of they havnt put any ideas forward it's a case of they are being led by the science and those above them, when they are told to go back they will but its not up to the Teachers to make that call, many of whom are vulnerable themselves.

All it will take is one child or teacher to die as a direct result of going back to soon and the hounds will be out for blood.

It's not a simple situation. Hats off to the Teachers IMHI from my own experience of my child's teacher.

And lastly, on a personal level, I will send my child back when WAG deem its the right time, I won't him off for the sake off it, sane as my parents sent me on school trips to London when the IRA were bombing, life is life and there's risks but right now theres no rush IMO.
RV Casual

Postby boyo1927 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:23 pm

What was Spain's lockdown extension of 2 weeks exactly?
boyo1927

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:02 pm

RV Casual wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:My beef with this is the unions and teachers have only found reasons not to open not once have they put forward a proposal or idea to get kids back to school.?

But harsh that mate.

First of all Teachers are working, most have never stopped and are still on site looking after key workers kids. The rest are at home doing their best to interact with the kids by whatever means possible.

I don't think Teachers get much of a say in it tbh and will be led by what they are told at the end of the day and as for the unions they are just doing what any good union would and looking after the wellbeing of their members,

My kids teacher has been nothing short of amazing. I don't think it's a case of they havnt put any ideas forward it's a case of they are being led by the science and those above them, when they are told to go back they will but its not up to the Teachers to make that call, many of whom are vulnerable themselves.

All it will take is one child or teacher to die as a direct result of going back to soon and the hounds will be out for blood.

It's not a simple situation. Hats off to the Teachers IMHI from my own experience of my child's teacher.

And lastly, on a personal level, I will send my child back when WAG deem its the right time, I won't him off for the sake off it, sane as my parents sent me on school trips to London when the IRA were bombing, life is life and there's risks but right now theres no rush IMO.

May sound harsh but yes always the good ones that will fo anything to help kids! but my reference really is about what is being said in public arena especially from heads and unions not once have I heared a constructive approach to getting back to school...... schools should stayed out until sept so every one knew the score ... but critically social distancing appears to be here for some time and if it is still here in September then what are teachers going to do ? Older kids need full time education to get nessasary results in A levels ect smaller kids wont keep to social distancing for more than couple of days if lucky... you simply cannot have part time education ...... here 90% of pupils need bus to get into school how does that work out with 15 pupils to a bus! It's time for teachers unions and local authorities to find a solution to get kids in school full time not find reasons to not go ....
pembroke allan

Postby goats » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:34 pm

He's staying home.

Why? You can’t be scared of everything in life? Driving is risky? It’s kills far more kids than covid has you know.
Read a good article about Scandinavia earlier, very interesting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... =DM1251860

Almost 6 months off school is too long, if your kids quite bright and likes learning home schooling could be ok but many aren’t. They are falling way behind. Remember how long a six week summer holiday felt as a kid? Times it by 10.
I think they should go back just 2 or 3 days a week with half classes etc....I really don’t know why reception and year 1 are going back, that’s ridiculous. They don’t even start school in europe until 6/7 yet we feel the need to send 3/4 year olds back? The ones who don’t get SD?
I’d be happy if my two (7 and 9) went back for a bit before another 6 weeks off if only to see what it’s going to be like in sept and get used to things, aswell as catching up with their mates.....this is Wales though, 30 years behind the likes of Norway and Denmark.
goats

Postby goats » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:18 pm

RV Casual wrote:

But harsh that mate.

I don’t think all teachers are so busy, high school probably doing zoom lessons but not primary. One of my kids teachers lives up the rd so I see her quite often. In whichurch hub there are only 40 kids, they don’t need many teachers in to look after them and they are not teaching them school stuff anyway. It’s on a rota system, so many having days off.
The weekly work we get sent to do wouldn’t take a day to put together.....
goats

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:20 pm

goats wrote:

He's staying home.

Why? You can’t be scared of everything in life? Driving is risky? It’s kills far more kids than covid has you know.
Read a good article about Scandinavia earlier, very interesting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... =DM1251860

Almost 6 months off school is too long, if your kids quite bright and likes learning home schooling could be ok but many aren’t. They are falling way behind. Remember how long a six week summer holiday felt as a kid? Times it by 10.
I think they should go back just 2 or 3 days a week with half classes etc....I really don’t know why reception and year 1 are going back, that’s ridiculous. They don’t even start school in europe until 6/7 yet we feel the need to send 3/4 year olds back? The ones who don’t get SD?
I’d be happy if my two (7 and 9) went back for a bit before another 6 weeks off if only to see what it’s going to be like in sept and get used to things, aswell as catching up with their mates.....this is Wales though, 30 years behind the likes of Norway and Denmark.

My daughter missed a total of 8wks schooling whilst studying for A levels and that was over 6month period and she could not make up the lost time to get required grades for med school even though she is super intelligent (now a scientist) :mrgreen: so any lengthy time away for any kid is going to seriously effect their education.
pembroke allan

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:28 pm

goats wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

But harsh that mate.

I don’t think all teachers are so busy, high school probably doing zoom lessons but not primary. One of my kids teachers lives up the rd so I see her quite often. In whichurch hub there are only 40 kids, they don’t need many teachers in to look after them and they are not teaching them school stuff anyway. It’s on a rota system, so many having days off.

I have worked at the Whitchurch hub on rota and whereas I agree with some of what you say I need to make the following points -
Since mid April I've been in a total of 8 days (8-6) and have planned and taught lessons in ICT, art, creative writing, reading comprehension and outdoor PE on their fantastic grounds (compared to my school). The lessons have been loosely based around these curriculum areas so are 'school stuff' as you say and the reason that they aren't more intense is that it would be deemed as unfair to those not attending the hub. These are not my words, but instructions that we were given.I agree that this is nowhere near my usual hours of work.

I can't speak for all teachers who set home learning tasks but I spend around 2 days a week putting together the tasks for the week which can be accessed through our school year 6 web page. Tasks set include ICT, Maths, Literacy and science. I also run an online computer based maths programme that needs 'sorting' on a weekly basis and a writing blog that needs to be set and marked / commented on as they are completed.

I have been into my school for 3 days last week to contact parents across both year 6 classes, enquiring about their well being and how the children are managing with the work set.

I have 2 zoom meetings a week - one with the rest of the senior leadership team and one with my co teacher.

As all my class have my school email address I am regularly answering basic queries through the day and commenting on work that is sent through to a secure area of the web page.

As I've said mate, in every public sector profession there are some who will do the minimum but I couldn't do that. I'm not trying to say that I'm doing as much as when all schools were open but I can't do more under the circumstances :thumbup:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:35 pm

At end day it's not for teachers to say kids can or can't go back to school it is the authorities who say they do? But it is then upto the parents if want their kids to go in these times... teachers should be facilitating how this is achieved not put obstacles in the way after all they are just employees like you and me :old:
pembroke allan

Postby goats » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:39 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
goats wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

But harsh that mate.

I have worked at the Whitchurch hub on rota and whereas I agree with some of what you say I need to make the following points -
Since mid April I've been in a total of 8 days (8-6) and have planned and taught lessons in ICT, art, creative writing, reading comprehension and outdoor PE on their fantastic grounds (compared to my school). The lessons have been loosely based around these curriculum areas so are 'school stuff' as you say and the reason that they aren't more intense is that it would be deemed as unfair to those not attending the hub. These are not my words, but instructions that we were given.I agree that this is nowhere near my usual hours of work.

I can't speak for all teachers who set home learning tasks but I spend around 2 days a week putting together the tasks for the week which can be accessed through our school year 6 web page. Tasks set include ICT, Maths, Literacy and science. I also run an online computer based maths programme that needs 'sorting' on a weekly basis and a writing blog that needs to be set and marked / commented on as they are completed.

I have been into my school for 3 days last week to contact parents across both year 6 classes, enquiring about their well being and how the children are managing with the work set.

I have 2 zoom meetings a week - one with the rest of the senior leadership team and one with my co teacher.

As all my class have my school email address I am regularly answering basic queries through the day and commenting on work that is sent through to a secure area of the web page.

As I've said mate, in every public sector profession there are some who will do the minimum but I couldn't do that. I'm not trying to say that I'm doing as much as when all schools were open but I can't do more under the circumstances :thumbup:

Good to hear your thoughts. Would you like to see a few years back for a few days before the summer break? My kids school is locked, I go passed it most days so I know no ones been in. I’m quite happy to do the home schooling as I used to teach for a few years almost the same level my two are at now. But I know they miss the social interaction more, something which they can only really get in school. Lots of kids don’t have iPads/pcs and luxury items at home, they dont get to eat properly either.
Watching the news tonight of them going back in England with social distance shows it can be done, partic ks2.
goats

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:45 pm

goats wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
goats wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

But harsh that mate.

Good to hear your thoughts. Would you like to see a few years back for a few days before the summer break? My kids school is locked, I go passed it most days so I know no ones been in. I’m quite happy to do the home schooling as I used to teach for a few years almost the same level my two are at now. But I know they miss the social interaction more, something which they can only really get in school. Lots of kids don’t have iPads/pcs and luxury items at home, they dont get to eat properly either.
Watching the news tonight of them going back in England with social distance shows it can be done, partic ks2.

I agree that it can be done and in a meeting tonight I was told to expect year 6 only going back in around 3 weeks - I think Kirsty is making a statement Wednesday. I'm fine with that tbh.
What you mean by this mate -
Would you like to see a few years back for a few days before the summer break?
I've been out in the sun a bit so bear with me :old:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby goats » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:29 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
goats wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
goats wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

But harsh that mate.

I agree that it can be done and in a meeting tonight I was told to expect year 6 only going back in around 3 weeks - I think Kirsty is making a statement Wednesday. I'm fine with that tbh.

Would you personally like to see a few of the different year groups, ie y6 or 5 have a few days back in before the end of term....you already answered I guess in that y6 might well and your fine with it..... :lol: :thumbup:
goats

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:32 pm

goats wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
goats wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
goats wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

But harsh that mate.

Would you personally like to see a few of the different year groups, ie y6 or 5 have a few days back in before the end of term....you already answered I guess in that y6 might well and your fine with it..... :lol: :thumbup:

:) Yes I don't seewhy they don't send certainly years 5 & 6. Just PMd you mate :thumbup:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:42 pm

Question for people especially with kids in school? Teachers in Wales want schools to start in sept which is a good idea... but they are talking about having classes split into smaller groups ( social distancing) mon/thurs basically part time teaching with Friday clear to clean schools and conference call kids... is part time learning any good especially as it may he 6months or more having social distancing?
pembroke allan

Next

Return to General Chat