Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ' Schooling '

Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:17 pm

skidemin wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
skidemin wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:If councils are going to use R values then could be long time before kids go to school if got councils saying no how can parents feel confident ! We are getting a country to scared to do anything that we need to do (like work/school) but are ok demonstrating or going on trips to beach or national parks!! :o

ive asked a few people how to work this R number out and can they show me the figures used to come to the conclusions being used..
im yet to have an answer.. truth is its a guess

As far as aware it's down to multiplication of numbers "example" if 1 person got virus they will infect 2 others if 2 people got it 4 be infected and so forth so if number is lower than 1 infection rates are not a problem that needs addressing above one something needs to be done like restrictions of movement! Figure used to work out infection rate is presumably dividing corvid positive people to population in an area? hence at moment northwest England is higher than other parts uk so have said schools stay closed... not sure if this is way they do it but makes sense as I see it.. :old:

oh ive read all this and looked into it
no Allan.. with all due respect.....im asking for the equation used not a vague explanation.....and... the numbers they actually use.... you haven't got an answer and will not find one anywhere... and none of the figures on infections given over the months have tallied with this mythical figure.... not that politicians and scientists can even be consistent when giving it.... its a magical number that can be whatever you want it to be...

no actual figure is used to start with they simply work backwards after virus as started they then calculate the rate from then on usually 2 or 3 weeks. it's just a formula that whole world uses! Just like Duckworth lewis does in cricket, it's not perfect and can vary but its only way used to fight spread of any virus. Anyway that's what I read on subject... :thumbup:

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:30 pm

As many countries begin to lift some of the restrictions to contain COVID-19 spread, lack of evidence of transmission in the school setting remains. We examined Irish notifications of SARS-CoV2 in the school setting before school closures on 12 March 2020 and identified no paediatric transmission. This adds to current evidence that children do not appear to be drivers of transmission, and we argue that reopening schools should be considered safe accompanied by certain measures.

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/conten ... ct_content

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:52 pm

Matt Hancock insisted that there is no trade off between protecting health and protecting the economy: "If we don't have control of this virus the economy will suffer yet more".

He added that under the "current working plan", secondary schools won't open until September "at the earliest".

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:55 pm

Pity the Government didn't protect the spread by quashing the mob protests

Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:11 pm

England ditch the plan to get all year groups returning to primary schools. I personally knew it would be a problem and had no idea how on earth they were going to do this. It’s impossible. There is t enough room to social distance and have smaller classroooms. Also there’s the Deep cleaning Issue. When schools go back in Wales in a couple of weeks or so is going to be interesting. Although it won’t be more than a third of the school in at any one time it still poses difficulties in terms of space. I hope it can work safely though.

Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:08 pm

School closed after pupil tests positive in southern England

A school in The New Forest, in southern England, has been closed after a pupil tested positive for Covid-19.

Pennington Infant School said staff were made aware that a child had the virus over the weekend.

Deputy headteacher Amy Wake said the "difficult decision" to close was based on "precautionary advice".

The affected pupil is in isolation with their immediate family. Others within the child's "bubble" have been told to self-isolate.

Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:28 pm

Government accused of lack of ambition in ensuring pupils go back to school

Former education secretary Lord Blunkett said there was a lack of ambition being shown by the government in ensuring pupils get back to school.

The Labour peer told BBC Radio 4's World At One: "To be honest, I think it is a lack of will, it is a lack of 'can do'.

"It is a failure to do what we have already done with the health service and economy, which is to say there are challenges, there are real problems but we are going as a nation to seek to overcome them.

"Why is it that other countries, not just in Europe but across the world, can have the ambition to get their children, in all kinds of creative ways, back into school and we can't?

"I can only conclude that the government is losing the plot."

The trained teacher added: "I just know that we've got to do this. If we can set up the Nightingale hospitals in the time we did, why on Earth can't we invest in the future of our children?"

Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:30 pm

Minister confident about schools reopening

Health Minister Vaughan Gething says he is as “confident” as he can be about schools reopening in Wales on 29 June.

He was speaking after the the UK government announced it was scrapping plans for all primary school years in England to go back before the end of the term.

Schools in Wales are due to implement a phased return to lessons for all year groups, but with no more than a third of pupils in class at any one time.

“We are living through an extraordinary amount of uncertainty, and I think any politician that tries to stand up and give you cast iron guarantees is being brave or foolish depending on your point of view," Mr Gething told the daily Welsh Government press conference.

He added that the Welsh Government had worked through a range of options that struck “the right balance” in terms of keeping people safe and recognising potential harms of the virus.

Mr Gething said it was a matter for other countries to make their own choices in regards to schools opening but he was “ positive of the measures” being introduced in Wales.

Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:44 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Minister confident about schools reopening

Health Minister Vaughan Gething says he is as “confident” as he can be about schools reopening in Wales on 29 June.

He was speaking after the the UK government announced it was scrapping plans for all primary school years in England to go back before the end of the term.

Schools in Wales are due to implement a phased return to lessons for all year groups, but with no more than a third of pupils in class at any one time.

“We are living through an extraordinary amount of uncertainty, and I think any politician that tries to stand up and give you cast iron guarantees is being brave or foolish depending on your point of view," Mr Gething told the daily Welsh Government press conference.

He added that the Welsh Government had worked through a range of options that struck “the right balance” in terms of keeping people safe and recognising potential harms of the virus.

Mr Gething said it was a matter for other countries to make their own choices in regards to schools opening but he was “ positive of the measures” being introduced in Wales.

I don't think the biggest problem is at Ministerial level in Wales or England.

There are too many Heads with an "I can't attitude" or are purposefully looking for problems not solutions.

I've seen suggestions (or laughable solutions) that kids are invited to school for an hour a week?! Is there any point? They just want the parents to not bother and take the decision out of their hands.

See the quote from the Labour Peer I shared above. Bang on the money. We can build these hospitals, why not a space to teach?!

Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:58 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:

There are too many Heads with an "I can't attitude" or are purposefully looking for problems not solutions.

I've seen suggestions (or laughable solutions) that kids are invited to school for an hour a week?! Is there any point? They just want the parents to not bother and take the decision out of their hands.

See the quote from the Labour Peer I shared above. Bang on the money. We can build these hospitals, why not a space to teach?!

Can make the space but then not enough teachers! Heads now saying it was not practical to bring alll children back at once because of social distancing What about kids education ? Part time learning is not enough especially for A level students, whilst got dedicated teachers doing all sorts to keep kids active with school work like you've said I have not once as a head or union come forward with a plan or solution to problems its always a reason not to start school! Next Sept is going to be interesting as going to get thousands of this years uni intake have a gap year and join in a years time minus kids who failed get grades as not enough schooling.

Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:08 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:

Can make the space but then not enough teachers! Heads now saying it was not practical to bring alll children back at once because of social distancing What about kids education ? Part time learning is not enough especially for A level students, whilst got dedicated teachers doing all sorts to keep kids active with school work like you've said I have not once as a head or union come forward with a plan or solution to problems its always a reason not to start school! A year Sept is going to be interesting as going to get thousands of this years uni intake have a gap year and join in a years time minus kids who failed get grades as not enough schooling.

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:04 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:Government accused of lack of ambition in ensuring pupils go back to school

Former education secretary Lord Blunkett said there was a lack of ambition being shown by the government in ensuring pupils get back to school.

The Labour peer told BBC Radio 4's World At One: "To be honest, I think it is a lack of will, it is a lack of 'can do'.

"It is a failure to do what we have already done with the health service and economy, which is to say there are challenges, there are real problems but we are going as a nation to seek to overcome them.

"Why is it that other countries, not just in Europe but across the world, can have the ambition to get their children, in all kinds of creative ways, back into school and we can't?

The trained teacher added: "I just know that we've got to do this. If we can set up the Nightingale hospitals in the time we did, why on Earth can't we invest in the future of our children?"

So schools all over Europe open, there’s a shock England can’t do it.

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:43 pm

goats wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:Government accused of lack of ambition in ensuring pupils go back to school

Three quarters of pupils eligible to go back to school didn't ! This us purely down to teachers and their unions scaring parents about not being safe to go back.... as people said rest world as managed it why cant we? Also no evidence that kids will catch corvid anymore in school than on beach or whever they congregate as they care foing now... :shock:

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:21 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
goats wrote:

Three quarters of pupils eligible to go back to school didn't ! This us purely down to teachers and their unions scaring parents about not being safe to go back.... as people said rest world as managed it why cant we? Also no evidence that kids will catch corvid anymore in school than on beach or whever they congregate as they care foing now... :shock:

Please give me one instance where a teacher has scared a parent not to come back to school.
I suggest it is the hysteria created by the media that's done all the scaremongering.

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:32 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
goats wrote:

Please give me one instance where a teacher has scared a parent not to come back to school.
I suggest it is the hysteria created by the media that's done all the scaremongering.

There has been plenty. Social media is full of teachers sharing scare stories. There's been Head teachers on BBC news crying saying it's not safe. And the Unions, they're doing it too.

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:33 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
goats wrote:

There has been plenty. Social media is full of teachers sharing scare stories. There's been Head teachers on BBC news crying saying it's not safe. And the Unions, they're doing it too.

That's annoying. Personally, I can't wait to go back.

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:38 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
goats wrote:

I know. I am a teacher too. I'm back and it's fantastic. We've made it work. Yes it's awkward and an unnatural classroom. But it's working and I have a great Headteacher.

I know from reading your posts you're in the 'solutions' not 'problems' camp. But some of the stories I've seen on Facebook with people I trained with or have worked with in the past is shocking. Work shy at its finest and all hiding behind excuses!

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:41 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
goats wrote:

I know. I am a teacher too. I'm back and it's fantastic. We've made it work. Yes it's awkward and an unnatural classroom. But it's working and I have a great Headteacher.

I know from reading your posts you're in the 'solutions' not 'problems' camp. But some of the stories I've seen on Facebook with people I trained with or have worked with in the past is shocking. Work shy at its finest and all hiding behind excuses!

:thumbup: We're clearly in the same camp mate.
Going in Friday to sort out classroom and plan a bit with colleagues then thursday and Friday of next week in the hub then back to it. Not before time. :occasion5:

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:45 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
goats wrote:

Going in Friday to sort out classroom and plan a bit with colleagues then thursday and Friday of next week in the hub then back to it. Not before time. :occasion5:

Good luck. It's really not as bad as they'll make you believe. But if you've been in the hub you'll have seen that.

Both my boys are back now too and it's so good seeing them happy and back with their mates.

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:46 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
goats wrote:

Good luck. It's really not as bad as they'll make you believe. But if you've been in the hub you'll have seen that.

Both my boys are back now too and it's so good seeing them happy and back with their mates.

You in England then mate?

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:49 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
goats wrote:

You in England then mate?

Yes mate. We've been back since the 1st.

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:52 pm

I see :thumbup:

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:58 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:I see :thumbup:

Reception, Y1, 6 and key workers only at the minute. Although from the 3 year groups allowed in I reckon 95% of our kids are in.

We're blessed with a motivated staff, plenty of space in and out and small class sizes. So it's been easier than most.

Good luck in your place.

Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:02 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:I see :thumbup:

Reception, Y1, 6 and key workers only at the minute. Although from the 3 year groups allowed in I reckon 95% of our kids are in.

We're blessed with a motivated staff, plenty of space in and out and small class sizes. So it's been easier than most.

Good luck in your place.

I'm in year 6.
We have all year groups in, split over 4 days (7-8 per day if 30 attend in total) and the 'spare' day will be used for PPA / deep cleaning.
I'd say 14 out of 16 of ours are well motivated and can't wait to return. As with all professions there's always one or two as they say :roll:

Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:09 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
goats wrote:

Good for them wanting to go back according to the news three quarters of eligible kids did not go back! Really need more positive vibes from all concerned otherwise come Sept have same problem kids like adults will get used to being home and will use any excuse not to go back.

Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:36 pm

Students in the UK must decide by the middle of next week whether or not to accept university offers for the new academic year.

It's a big decision - even more so this year as many lectures are due to take place online and socialising could be very difficult when term begins.

So, will universities open in September? Many have already decided to alter their normal schedule.

Cambridge will hold lectures online for the entire year, while Manchester will have online lectures for the first autumn term.

The deadline for prospective students to decide on whether to accept offers has been pushed back to 18 June.

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:35 pm

Guidance on the reopening of schools in Wales from 29 June has been published by the Welsh Government.

Only around a third of pupils would be allowed in school at any one time but it is aimed at giving them a chance to "check in, catch up, prepare for summer and September".

It includes recommendations on social distancing and getting to and from school.

But unions have expressed concern that there is not enough time to prepare.

The guidance recognises that it is "not practicable" to expect primary pupils to maintain 2m social distancing but staff should however seek to ensure "some distancing" between learners.

It suggests primary pupils are allowed to mix in groups of up to eight.

But in secondary schools, pupils should keep to 2m distances and ideally when indoors, remain in the same room and avoid moving from room to room as they normally would.

The guidance says teachers should not try to "catch up" on everything but have a clear focus on preparing learners to learn again, when there would be a blend of "'in school' and 'out of school' learning driven by a single curriculum".

The summer term has been extended by one week to 27 July, and the autumn half-term holiday will be stretched to two weeks

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:59 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Guidance on the reopening of schools in Wales from 29 June has been published by the Welsh Government.

Only around a third of pupils would be allowed in school at any one time but it is aimed at giving them a chance to "check in, catch up, prepare for summer and September".

It includes recommendations on social distancing and getting to and from school.

But unions have expressed concern that there is not enough time to prepare.

The guidance recognises that it is "not practicable" to expect primary pupils to maintain 2m social distancing but staff should however seek to ensure "some distancing" between learners.

It suggests primary pupils are allowed to mix in groups of up to eight.

But in secondary schools, pupils should keep to 2m distances and ideally when indoors, remain in the same room and avoid moving from room to room as they normally would.

The guidance says teachers should not try to "catch up" on everything but have a clear focus on preparing learners to learn again, when there would be a blend of "'in school' and 'out of school' learning driven by a single curriculum".

The summer term has been extended by one week to 27 July, and the autumn half-term holiday will be stretched to two weeks

Two things there is a lot of anxiety over missed schooling by parents and kids with possibility of part time schooling until xmas!
And the unions have had a month or more to say to authorities what is required to open schools as knew need social distancing ect when did return! Instead they are bleating that it's not enough time and they should have been opened in Sept? Its the poor kids who are going to suffer over both sides differing.

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:14 pm

Downing Street does not rule out retired teachers returning

Downing Street has not ruled out the possibility of retired teachers being called back to the profession to help schools cope with the coronavirus crisis.

The Prime Minister's official spokesman said Education Secretary Gavin Williamson had promised to do "whatever we can" to help in response to suggestions that ex-teachers could return and buildings could be requisitioned to form temporary classrooms.

The spokesman said: "The Education Secretary has said that we will do whatever we can to make sure that no child falls behind as a result of coronavirus.

"We are working to bring all children back in September and are considering what more is needed to support pupils."

Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:48 pm

If only we didn’t have such an OTT media and even worse, the unions.....

https://www.tes.com/news/all-dutch-prim ... -heres-how