Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

About time

Fri May 29, 2020 11:25 pm

Police officer Derek Chauvin charged with third degree murder of George Floyd :thumbright:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: About time

Sat May 30, 2020 1:14 am

Forever Blue wrote:Police officer Derek Chauvin charged with third degree murder of George Floyd :thumbright:

And rightly so,and what of the other 3 cnuts standing by? Aren't you guilty by association over there? Any one of them could have stopped it!!! :old: :bluebird:

Sat May 30, 2020 6:03 am

bluesince62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Police officer Derek Chauvin charged with third degree murder of George Floyd :thumbright:

And rightly so,and what of the other 3 cnuts standing by? Aren't you guilty by association over there? Any one of them could have stopped it!!! :old: :bluebird:

They should all be charged with accessory to murder, and the charge third degree murder is manslaughter. He should be charged with second degree murder, that is murder not premeditated!

Sat May 30, 2020 7:04 am

Looks like the other three scum are going to be charged, but it is not known at the moment what those charges will be!

Sat May 30, 2020 11:55 am

What is 3rd degree murder is that the same as man slaughter.

If they really wanted to murder him they could have just shot him. In reality they tried tried to control a criminal who was resisting arrest who then unfortunately died. They gave every chance his actions are to blame as well.

Sat May 30, 2020 12:30 pm

Bigmarkw wrote:What is 3rd degree murder is that the same as man slaughter.

If they really wanted to murder him they could have just shot him. In reality they tried tried to control a criminal who was resisting arrest who then unfortunately died. They gave every chance his actions are to blame as well.

It's only in the states there is 3rd degree murder, which is the same as our manslaughter. The cop had his knee and all his bodyweight on the guys neck he was shouting I cant breathe as much as he could, he was on his neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds, with 2 minutes and 53 seconds of that occurring after Floyd was unresponsive,
there were 4 cops there don't you think that instead of just looking, they could have put the restaints they use around his legs, as he was already handcuffed behind his back. And they are going to say he was resisting arrest, like all the other black americans that police have killed in the USA, racist sods. Criminal he might have been but he did not do anything that he deserved to die for!

Sat May 30, 2020 2:36 pm

Igovernor wrote:

It's only in the states there is 3rd degree murder, which is the same as our manslaughter. The cop had his knee and all his bodyweight on the guys neck he was shouting I cant breathe as much as he could, he was on his neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds, with 2 minutes and 53 seconds of that occurring after Floyd was unresponsive,
there were 4 cops there don't you think that instead of just looking, they could have put the restaints they use around his legs, as he was already handcuffed behind his back. And they are going to say he was resisting arrest, like all the other black americans that police have killed in the USA, racist sods. Criminal he might have been but he did not do anything that he deserved to die for!

Agree he didn’t deserve to die. But we’ve only seen the Conveniently edit footage or at least I haven’t seen what’s lead to this. Also if you can’t breathe you can’t speak and he was able to speak quiet loudly considering.

I read he died of a heart attack and not suffocation. But nothing official.

Sat May 30, 2020 2:58 pm

I’ve now seen a much longer video and have changed my view point. The police officer definitely when over the top, I think the other officer was ready to lift him up as he sensed he was ready. But didn’t, as the crowd were getting rowdy which I don’t helped matters as he had his back to the prisoner dealing with the crowd. Just a very sad situation without the crowd I think he survives. And definitely with the police lifting him sooner he survives.

Terrible story.

Sat May 30, 2020 2:58 pm

Bigmarkw wrote:
Igovernor wrote:

Agree he didn’t deserve to die. But we’ve only seen the Conveniently edit footage or at least I haven’t seen what’s lead to this. Also if you can’t breathe you can’t speak and he was able to speak quiet loudly considering.

the cop had his knee on him for 8 minutes while he continually pleaded to breathe..its hard to defend mate.. its not even like the cop was in a one to one situation and feared what might happen should he ease off. as he had 3 gun totting mates as back up...

Sat May 30, 2020 3:18 pm

skidemin wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
Igovernor wrote:

the cop had his knee on him for 8 minutes while he continually pleaded to breathe..its hard to defend mate.. its not even like the cop was in a one to one situation and feared what might happen should he ease off. as he had 3 gun totting mates as back up...

Read above think we posted at same time.

Sat May 30, 2020 3:28 pm

Bigmarkw wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
Igovernor wrote:

Read above think we posted at same time.

:thumbup:

Sun May 31, 2020 9:10 pm

:thumbup:

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:16 am

Bigmarkw wrote:I’ve now seen a much longer video and have changed my view point. The police officer definitely when over the top, I think the other officer was ready to lift him up as he sensed he was ready. But didn’t, as the crowd were getting rowdy which I don’t helped matters as he had his back to the prisoner dealing with the crowd. Just a very sad situation without the crowd I think he survives. And definitely with the police lifting him sooner he survives.

Terrible story.

Watched the same video I believe,admire your candid honesty in changing your mind :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:35 am

bluesince62 wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:I’ve now seen a much longer video and have changed my view point. The police officer definitely when over the top, I think the other officer was ready to lift him up as he sensed he was ready. But didn’t, as the crowd were getting rowdy which I don’t helped matters as he had his back to the prisoner dealing with the crowd. Just a very sad situation without the crowd I think he survives. And definitely with the police lifting him sooner he survives.

Terrible story.

Watched the same video I believe,admire your candid honesty in changing your mind :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

Whats odd is that we've all seen the video and it looks pretty damning; but the initial autopsy states he didn't die from asphyxiation/strangulation?

The family are seeking a second (private) autopsy and things should be a lot clearer after that' but all four of the 'Officers' involved have now been sacked, charges laid on the one Officer and others expected to be laid on the others once the facts are known/confirmed

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:40 am

Sven wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

Terrible story.

Whats odd is that we've all seen the video and it looks pretty damning; but the initial autopsy states he didn't die from asphyxiation/strangulation?

The family are seeking a second (private) autopsy and things should be a lot clearer after that' but all four of the 'Officers' involved have now been sacked, charges laid on the one Officer and others expected to be laid on the others once the facts are known/confirmed

I would imagine being desperately short of breathe would cause heart failure too..
what ive found most odd is both Floyd and the cop in question had both previously worked at the same bar as security at the same time...

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:37 am

There’s another video out showing from the time before they have him in the floor. They had him in the back of they car but he was resisting and he looks a big strong guy. So they appear to have just wanted to take him into custody, must have pulled him out and put him on the floor to wait for a meat wagon. It’s still doesn’t excuse the amount of time he spent on his neck though. An other odd thing is why did an ambulance turn up? Who called them?

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:42 am

4 officers at the scene should have been more than adequate to subdue this poor guy.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:23 am

Why is there not so much outrage when an innocent black person often children are killed in crossfire of criminals that are black. Seems the killings then are more acceptable.

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:06 pm

George Floyd death: New charges for all four sacked officers

New charges have been announced against all of the sacked police officers present at the death of African American George Floyd in Minneapolis.

The charge against Derek Chauvin has been elevated to second-degree murder, court documents show.

The other three officers face counts of aiding and abetting murder, the documents state.

Floyd's death has sparked huge protests across the US against racism and the police killings of black Americans.

The vast majority of demonstrations over the past eight days have been peaceful, but some have turned violent and curfews have been imposed in a number of cities.
Announcing the new charges, Minnesota's Attorney General Keith Ellison said that they were in the interests of justice.

Derek Chauvin had initially faced charges of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. These will stay on his charge sheet.

The other three sacked officers are Thomas Lane, J Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao. They all face charges of aiding and abetting second-degree murder, and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter.

Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar said on Twitter that the latest charges were "another important step for justice".

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:43 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:4 officers at the scene should have been more than adequate to subdue this poor guy.

All they had to do was utilise the leg straps they use,then he couldn't have gone anywhere in a hurry :banghead: but a manslaughter charge it shouldn't be,as suggested above,it should be 2nd degree murder, and maybe 3rd degree for the other 3,who I have to say,could of and should have intevened,and if absolutely needed,taster the suspect,but to kneel on his neck for the best part of 9 minutes?? Despicable act. :old: :bluebird:

Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:42 am

New charges have been announced against all of the sacked police officers present at the death of African American George Floyd in Minneapolis.

The charge against Derek Chauvin has been elevated to second-degree murder, court documents show.

The other three officers, previously uncharged, face counts of aiding and abetting murder.

Floyd's death has sparked huge protests across the US against racism and the police killings of black Americans.

The vast majority of demonstrations over the past eight days have been peaceful, but some have turned violent and curfews have been imposed in a number of cities.
Media captionActivist explains plea for peaceful protests

Announcing the new charges, Minnesota's Attorney General Keith Ellison said that they were in the interests of justice.

Derek Chauvin had initially faced charges of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. These will stay on his charge sheet.

The other three sacked officers are Thomas Lane, J Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao. They all face charges of aiding and abetting second-degree murder, and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter.

Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar said on Twitter that the latest charges were "another important step for justice".
Image Copyright @amyklobuchar @amyklobuchar

Floyd family lawyer Benjamin Crump said in a statement: "This is a significant step forward on the road to justice and we are gratified that this important action was brought before George Floyd's body was laid to rest."

But he later told CNN that the family believed the charge against Derek Chauvin should be first-degree murder and that they had been told that the investigation was ongoing and the charges could change further.

At a press briefing, rights activist Rev Al Sharpton said that the Floyd case must lead to a national federal act.

He said: "If we come out of all this and do not have federal legislation where we can protect citizens from local policing... then all of this is drama to no end. Drama in the street must be geared to fundamental legal change."
Media captionGeorge Floyd's ex partner: 'Gianna doesn't have a father'
What did the attorney general say?

Mr Ellison said he was under no illusion that bringing a successful prosecution against the former police officers would be difficult.

"Winning a conviction will be hard. History does show there are clear challenges," he said.

Only one officer in Minnesota has been convicted of killing a civilian while serving in the role.
Image copyright Reuters
Image caption Attorney General Keith Ellison spells out the charges

Mr Ellison said George Floyd was "loved by his family, his life had value" and that "we will seek justice for you and we will find it".

He said bringing justice to society more generally would be slow and difficult work and that Americans did not have to wait for the end of the Floyd case to start that work.

"We need to rewrite the rules for a just society now," he said.
What do the charges mean?

First- and second-degree murder under Minnesota law require proof that the defendant intended to kill. First-degree in most cases requires premeditation, with second-degree more related to crimes of passion.

Why did a US city go up in flames?

A third-degree murder conviction would not require proof that the defendant wanted the victim to die, only that their actions were dangerous and were carried out without regard to human life.

A second-degree murder conviction can carry a sentence of up to 40 years, 15 longer than for third-degree.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:15 am

bluesince62 wrote:
Foghorn65 wrote:4 officers at the scene should have been more than adequate to subdue this poor guy.

All they had to do was utilise the leg straps they use,then he couldn't have gone anywhere in a hurry :banghead: but a manslaughter charge it shouldn't be,as suggested above,it should be 2nd degree murder, and maybe 3rd degree for the other 3,who I have to say,could of and should have intevened,and if absolutely needed,taster the suspect,but to kneel on his neck for the best part of 9 minutes?? Despicable act. :old: :bluebird:

Agreed, nobody can, or should, try to justify the actions of this police officer or his colleagues.

Somebody earlier in the thread seemed to indicate that the actions of the crowd might have increased the police officer's anxiousness about the situation. Well if police were doing that to a mate of yours and you could see he was really struggling would you just stand there watching ? I certainly wouldn't :evil:

Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:33 am

piledriver64 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

Agreed, nobody can, or should, try to justify the actions of this police officer or his colleagues.

Somebody earlier in the thread seemed to indicate that the actions of the crowd might have increased the police officer's anxiousness about the situation. Well if police were doing that to a mate of yours and you could see he was really struggling would you just stand there watching ? I certainly wouldn't :evil:

So you agree with me then that they were a distraction to the other officers?

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:18 pm

Bigmarkw wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

seems to be something missing from the whole thing....fella tries to pass a note who the shop keeper thinks is fake..{ might or might not be fake } … the speed of the police response doesn't seem right ? amount of police officers doesn't seem right ? then.. he seems to not resist but somehow seems to end up on floor held down initially by 3 officers ?..then an ambulance arrives ?...and GF goes from being a restrained offender being held down to someone needing medical care in an instant ?
am I missing something ?

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:53 pm

skidemin wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

seems to be something missing from the whole thing....fella tries to pass a note who the shop keeper thinks is fake..{ might or might not be fake } … the speed of the police response doesn't seem right ? amount of police officers doesn't seem right ? then.. he seems to not resist but somehow seems to end up on floor held down initially by 3 officers ?..then an ambulance arrives ?...and GF goes from being a restrained offender being held down to someone needing medical care in an instant ?
am I missing something ?

A little bit. They arrested him and put him in a back of the car but continued to resist. Hence why they then had to restrain him on the Floor. Where things got way out of hand. If only he complied. This sad story may not have happened.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:03 pm

Bigmarkw wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

am I missing something ?

A little bit. They arrested him and put him in a back of the car but continued to resist. Hence why they then had to restrain him on the Floor. Where things got way out of hand. If only he complied. This sad story may not have happened.

I haven't seen any footage of him resisting ? ... haven't seen it mentioned either..
I found the whole ambulance thing very bizarre . if id happened upon that scene I would presume he was being restrained awaiting a meat wagon.. not paramedics..

Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:10 pm

skidemin wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

am I missing something ?

I haven't seen any footage of him resisting ? ... haven't seen it mentioned either..
I found the whole ambulance thing very bizarre . if id happened upon that scene I would presume he was being restrained awaiting a meat wagon.. not paramedics..

Agree. I said that in an earlier post here I think.

There videos of him in the police car kicking off on line.