Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Drakeford

Sat May 30, 2020 11:40 am

I don't get all this anti-Drakeford stuff. I am not an apologist for him in any way, but I just don't get it.

Nicola Sturgeon, carries a huge wave of popular Scotish opinion for the way she has managed events over the border. They trust her and accept that she is taking decisions based on the safety of the people of Scotland. She has been going forward at the same pace as Drakeford.

Some might say that UK Government have fudged lots of things during the panedemic. Many are scared that in their haste to get the wheels of commerce turning again and protect the Treasury, that BJ is pushing on too speedily. Senior scientists from SAGE are publically saying that the pace of the unlocking of lockdown by BJ is not based on the science and is a political decision.

Poor old Drakeford, gets it in the neck for daring to be more cautious with the health and well being of the Welsh people. A Welsh public that demographically is the most unwell and least well off citizens in the Union.

As I say, I just don't get it.

Incidently, the support for businesses afforded by WG via Business Wales is massive.

Sat May 30, 2020 12:53 pm

City in Cwmbran wrote:I don't get all this anti-Drakeford stuff. I am not an apologist for him in any way, but I just don't get it.

Nicola Sturgeon, carries a huge wave of popular Scotish opinion for the way she has managed events over the border. They trust her and accept that she is taking decisions based on the safety of the people of Scotland. She has been going forward at the same pace as Drakeford.

Some might say that UK Government have fudged lots of things during the panedemic. Many are scared that in their haste to get the wheels of commerce turning again and protect the Treasury, that BJ is pushing on too speedily. Senior scientists from SAGE are publically saying that the pace of the unlocking of lockdown by BJ is not based on the science and is a political decision.

Poor old Drakeford, gets it in the neck for daring to be more cautious with the health and well being of the Welsh people. A Welsh public that demographically is the most unwell and least well off citizens in the Union.

Incidently, the support for businesses afforded by WG via Business Wales is massive.

A balance has to be reached and WAG are showing no indication of having any plan for moving forward. It's all well and good saying that he is being more cautious with the health and well being of the Welsh people but where and when do you draw the line?

Is the time to be less cautious when there are no deaths? When there's a cure? When there's a vaccine? There can be no doubt that the continuation of the current lockdown with no clear indication of a way forward will cause massive problems in the future for the economy, education, health and mental well being of the population, let alone the people who are missing out on essential treatment because they are unable to get the treatment they need or are shit scared to go near a hospital.

Ten people died yesterday of the virus - tragic for them and terribly sad for their families but there are 3.5 million people in Wales the vast majority of whom have been unable to see loved ones for months or go to work and have the spectre of looming unemployment and are not being given any sensible indication by the leaders of their country as to whether they have any plan for the future other than "let's wait another three weeks".

Sat May 30, 2020 12:58 pm

City in Cwmbran wrote:I don't get all this anti-Drakeford stuff. I am not an apologist for him in any way, but I just don't get it.

Hes in charge of Wales and testing and anything else to do with corvid decisions that went well only changed mind twice? What did he say yesterday that was good or positive only that it is ok to spread virus 5 miles from your house! Whilst may not agree with boris or any other leaders undoing lockdown at least they are saying what they plan in future drakeford as said sfa other than take a look at things in 3wks but that is subject to R figure being below 8 which it wont so while rest uk is moving forward slowly we will be going nowhere again..... as for support for businesses well he as said that WG cannot support business when furlough reduces, as we are way behind rest uk what hope is there of getting support from WG? The truth is drakeford cannot make a decision that puts his neck out for criticism! But he needn't worry people make ut for him as I've seen past week...

Sat May 30, 2020 1:22 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
davids wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Bonner wrote:He can’t relax rules more as. testing and track and trace nowhere near ready.
Passing over orders to start tracking from next week , yet no system in place, even expecting people to record by using paper trace if on line system not in place.. awful management by the welsh assembly,

Really annoying as my daughter is a ENvironmental Health Inspector and is one of the people assigned to do the tracking and tracing. She said that she’s all ready to go but is held back by the WAG red tape which is ridiculous.

The words "organise", "brewery" and "piss up" spring to mind.

Tracking and tracing is great if people cooperate? But would you admit being near to someone who as been positive and be 14 days in isolation with just statuary sick pay of £98 week? Also got until end oct to get this up and running and effective as furlough ends and people will have to go to work! But given WG attempts at testing wouldn't expect it to work. :?

What happens if you get the message to isolate for 14 days, do so, have to stop work,have no infection, then go out, re-start work, but unfortunately go near someone else, and are told to isolate for another 14 days? Continue, repeat etc. I think people will get a little fed up shall we say!! A good idea, but not necessarily completely practical.

Sat May 30, 2020 2:19 pm

being confined and oppressed does zero for the overall health of our nation.. covid really is not the only thing that kills people.. we lost 10 people to it yesterday mostly old and already ill.... we normally lose around 70 to all sorts of other illnesses.. that 70 figure is rising , will continue to and is the one out of the 2 that's most likely to kill the most...

Sat May 30, 2020 4:08 pm

skidemin wrote:

being confined and oppressed does zero for the overall health of our nation.. covid really is not the only thing that kills people.. we lost 10 people to it yesterday mostly old and already ill.... we normally lose around 70 to all sorts of other illnesses.. that 70 figure is rising , will continue to and is the one out of the 2 that's most likely to kill the most...

A wild guess here, but I imagine there will be many who are against continued caution who will 'break out' of their confinement and oppression.

Others will heed the advice and stay relatively locked down. As others have aluded to, others will sadly have little choice other than to go back to work.

There are plenty of opinions. Facts are less available. And how they are interpreted is not an obvious art.

But I still go back to my initial point..... I still don't get the vitriol aimed at Drakeford.

Stay safe all.

Sat May 30, 2020 4:21 pm

City in Cwmbran wrote:
skidemin wrote:

A wild guess here, but I imagine there will be many who are against continued caution who will 'break out' of their confinement and oppression.

Others will heed the advice and stay relatively locked down. As others have aluded to, others will sadly have little choice other than to go back to work.

There are plenty of opinions. Facts are less available. And how they are interpreted is not an obvious art.

But I still go back to my initial point..... I still don't get the vitriol aimed at Drakeford.

Stay safe all.

Give you an idea of what hes like! As health minister and AM for pembrokeshire he had casting vote on future of withybush hospital he voted to close it screwing his own constituents. ........he is a wannabe politician who is clueless about what people want, nothing hes done in regards corvid as been positive or worked! Ask yourself what difference does 100yrds or 5 miles make in transmission of corvid (none) his rational for 5 miles is limits threat of spreading to far.. :old:

Sat May 30, 2020 4:31 pm

skidemin wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:It's a shambles, complete and utter shambles.
Where is the science that says covid will spread less if people don't travel more than 5 miles? It's what they do when they get there that matters.
Never ever thought I'd be thinking this but maybe some civil unrest is what is needed to bring some sense and reality to our deluded politicians.

What an utterly stupid thing to say. Unbelievable!!

I agree mate, where on earth did he get the 5 mile idea from ?

:banghead:

Sat May 30, 2020 4:52 pm

[quote="City in Cwmbran"]I don't get all this anti-Drakeford stuff. I am not an apologist for him in any way, but I just don't get it.

Your cretin detector is malfunctioning..it’s because of Labour Wales is the poor relation in Britain. Twenty years of governance, and we’re still nowhere.

Sun May 31, 2020 5:41 am

rumpo kid wrote:

Your cretin detector is malfunctioning..it’s because of Labour Wales is the poor relation in Britain. Twenty years of governance, and we’re still nowhere.

Pembroke Allen.....I get your antipathy. At least it is based on something, even if the decision was likely complex.

But Rumpo Kid, do you not think how well Wales is able to set out it's store is more dependant on the Barnett Formula than the decicions people make in speading the insufficient funding?

Sun May 31, 2020 9:00 am

Perhaps, but more telling is the lack of confidence in the WAG by the public, and the failure of that organisation on a repeated basis at a number of levels, all of which are documented. Basically its a barrel of shit. They've had enougn money, and only a fool would give them more..

Sun May 31, 2020 9:10 am

City in Cwmbran wrote:
rumpo kid wrote:

Pembroke Allen.....I get your antipathy. At least it is based on something, even if the decision was likely complex.

But Rumpo Kid, do you not think how well Wales is able to set out it's store is more dependant on the Barnett Formula than the decicions people make in speading the insufficient funding?

Its not based on what I put about hospital and being employed at withybush for ten years and 25yrs in nhs (RETIRED) think I know fair amount of complexities of nhs! only got look at his statements and how hes failed to deliver anything in this crisis to see he is inept! Latest statement he said I changed lockdown for people to see each other because more people wanted it than those playing tennis? Hence we are only country not allowing tennis :o ..... this debate is not to do with Welsh governance its about the ineptitude of drakeford

Sun May 31, 2020 10:57 am

"..... this debate is not to do with Welsh governance its about the ineptitude of drakeford"

Oh, I see.

Inept or otherwise, all it can be is an opinion.

His caution might well be applauded when we see the effects of England breaking out.

Sun May 31, 2020 12:55 pm

City in Cwmbran wrote:"..... this debate is not to do with Welsh governance its about the ineptitude of drakeford"

Oh, I see.

His caution might well be applauded when we see the effects of England breaking out.

his over cautiousness is undoubtedly doing damage to our economy and general health....that's a given
but lets go with it might....

its pretty obvious that the virus is not what people first thought , not just here either , how else can every country easing lockdowns while infections and deaths are at a higher point than when they locked down in the first place make sense ?

Sun May 31, 2020 2:34 pm

City in Cwmbran wrote:"..... this debate is not to do with Welsh governance its about the ineptitude of drakeford"

Oh, I see.

That is exactly what hes waiting for so that he can get on his soapbox and shout look at me I'm clever I knew there would be a spike in corvid as soon as any lifting of restrictions were made? Dont need to be brain scientist to know that there is strong possibility of a spike it's happened around world! So guess we wait until next year to see if it is safe to go outside the door! Meanwhile businesses go bust by the score and he collects his pay sitting on his soapbox "WAITING".... :old:

Sun May 31, 2020 2:40 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Oh, I see.

That is exactly what hes waiting for so that he can get on his soapbox and shout look at me I'm clever I knew there would be a spike in corvid as soon as any lifting of restrictions were made? Dont need to be brain scientist to know that there is strong possibility of a spike it's happened around world! So guess we wait until next year to see if it is safe to go outside the door! Meanwhile businesses go bust by the score and he collects his pay sitting on his soapbox "WAITING".... :old:

And if there is no significant spike in England he'll just say that by waiting to see whether there was a second spike he was just being extra cautious and was proven to be right.

I'm just waiting for the tw*t to claim that the reduction in traffic over the past few months has shown how right he was to claim there was no need for a relief road around Newport!!

Sun May 31, 2020 3:13 pm

Vulnerable people in England and Wales who have been advised to stay inside their homes since the coronavirus lockdown began will be able to go outdoors again from Monday

Sun May 31, 2020 7:17 pm

davids wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Oh, I see.

And if there is no significant spike in England he'll just say that by waiting to see whether there was a second spike he was just being extra cautious and was proven to be right.

I'm just waiting for the tw*t to claim that the reduction in traffic over the past few months has shown how right he was to claim there was no need for a relief road around Newport!!

There ismilage in what you say about m4 as the green army are jumping on the fact less cars less pollution so Cardiff will only have cycle lanes throughout the city and limited bus service where no one can get on pass the terminus stop as bus full with 10 people and 40 empty seats! :shock:

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:32 am

Firstly, Drakeford keeps telling us the R rate will dictate how/when we come out of this. The problem is that by his own words he "thinks the R rate is between 0.80 and 1.0" that's a big range in the scheme of things and, given it's importance, shouldn't you know what it is not guess, even if it is still a range ?

Secondly, surely we should now be looking at what the R rate is in the general community and what it is in Care Homes/Hospitals separately ? The reason I say that is that, in the main, those institutions are virtually locked down. Therefore whilst it's been awful for those of us with loved ones in such places at least the infection is very unlikely to be transmitted out from there. The R rate in the general community will be the key moving forward so we should be told what it is to ensure that these politicians aren't just hiding behind something that doesn't back their approach.

Thirdly, is it me but is there some strange logic that I can't see behind the driving 5 miles restriction ? Surely it's about your destination rather than the distance ? If I drive direct to anywhere in Wales, unless I'm spitting or sneezing out of the window of my car I'm less likely to transfer or contract the virus than if I was walking 5 minutes to my local shop. Therefore, if I were to visit friends/family 100 miles away with social distancing why is that not acceptable yet walking around Cardiff is fine ?

A lot of this is about safeguarding the rural communities and tough luck to those who live in Cardiff. If they change the approach to travelling to work in the next review that could mean 80,000-100,000 people a day commuting into the capital. Nothing mentioned about the plans in place for that, but woe betide anyone travelling to a safer environment on the coast in significantly smaller numbers !! There is no science behind this, and certainly little fairness.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:38 am

There's very little proven factual science behind the majority of Covid related restrictions.

R rate?

2m social distancing?

Shopping, police spot checks, fines, etc.

Everything is set up to hopefully protect us and contain/reduce the spread but with every nation varying it's guidelines just makes for a confused message

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:37 am

Foghorn65 wrote:There's very little proven factual science behind the majority of Covid related restrictions.

R rate?

2m social distancing?

Everything is set up to hopefully protect us and contain/reduce the spread but with every nation varying it's guidelines just makes for a confused message

Despite what you say ( I agree with it) there are still so many who seem to have the answers. They are speaking with hindsight and their hatred of the Tories, so use every comment/statistic/ideological view to attack the government.
Boris has to make the decisions, he will ultimately have to take the responsibility and so he should be supported and not attacked at every opportunity.
It must be a heavy burden to carry - the thought of all these deaths and not knowing which scientist to listen to.
Especially when the sickos of the labour party say he is deliberately killing people and doesn't care.

This is a new and I believe manufactured disease targeted at humans, so how can anyone know the true course of the virus. They are all guessing and hoping it is the correct way to go. The economy, social and mental issues have to be accounted for.

The almost guaranteed 2nd (and possible 3rd) wave have to be accounted for, and so we cannot stay locked down for ever hoping for millions of vaccines to be produced.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:23 am

piledriver64 wrote:Firstly, Drakeford keeps telling us the R rate will dictate how/when we come out of this. The problem is that by his own words he "thinks the R rate is between 0.80 and 1.0" that's a big range in the scheme of things and, given it's importance, shouldn't you know what it is not guess, even if it is still a range ?

Secondly, surely we should now be looking at what the R rate is in the general community and what it is in Care Homes/Hospitals separately ? The reason I say that is that, in the main, those institutions are virtually locked down. Therefore whilst it's been awful for those of us with loved ones in such places at least the infection is very unlikely to be transmitted out from there. The R rate in the general community will be the key moving forward so we should be told what it is to ensure that these politicians aren't just hiding behind something that doesn't back their approach.

Thirdly, is it me but is there some strange logic that I can't see behind the driving 5 miles restriction ? Surely it's about your destination rather than the distance ? If I drive direct to anywhere in Wales, unless I'm spitting or sneezing out of the window of my car I'm less likely to transfer or contract the virus than if I was walking 5 minutes to my local shop. Therefore, if I were to visit friends/family 100 miles away with social distancing why is that not acceptable yet walking around Cardiff is fine ?

A lot of this is about safeguarding the rural communities and tough luck to those who live in Cardiff. If they change the approach to travelling to work in the next review that could mean 80,000-100,000 people a day commuting into the capital. Nothing mentioned about the plans in place for that, but woe betide anyone travelling to a safer environment on the coast in significantly smaller numbers !! There is no science behind this, and certainly little fairness.

Phil the 5 mile thing is totally illogical 2mtrs is supposed to be minimum distance so it wouldn't matter if you met someone 10ft or 10miles away still more than 2mtrs distancing... I can only meet people in st David's next village is more than 5 miles away yet if you live in roath you can basically go to all parts city in any direction that is 300k people give or take ! "TOTALLY NUTS"
As for R number if it is same when he next opens his mouth we stay in lockdown as this is his logic for not foing anything could be next year before do anything :roll:

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:28 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:There's very little proven factual science behind the majority of Covid related restrictions.

R rate?

2m social distancing?

Beg to differ on the R rate-overall its probably an average with regional variations but the logic and science behind it is easy to understand and is beyond question in my view.As for the other things they'll improve as the knowledge of this disease does.

Whats worries me though is that the politicians seem to be following the science less and listening more to big business.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:41 pm

The erosion of your freedom is far more dangerous than this virus

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:45 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:

R rate?

2m social distancing?

Beg to differ on the R rate-overall its probably an average with regional variations but the logic and science behind it is easy to understand and is beyond question in my view.As for the other things they'll improve as the knowledge of this disease does.

Whats worries me though is that the politicians seem to be following the science less and listening more to big business.

Made point earlier that the experts are dictating what happens and unfortunately they have own agenda.. drakeford as put himself in a hole because he is basing lockdown rules on R ratings now if it is still as high next time he either as to abide by it and keep present rules or he abandons what experts say he then as to try explain why he didn't relax rules earlier

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:39 pm

Hot spot lockdowns not ruled out by first minister

“Precise localised lockdowns” have not been ruled out in Wales, First Minister Mark Drakeford has said.

Last week, Finance Minister Rebecca Evans said ministers were ”not considering differential lockdowns across different parts of Wales”.

But on Monday, Mr Drakeford said: “We definitely haven't ruled out more precise localised lockdowns if that is what the contact tracing system tells us is happening.

“If there are hotspots, and the best answer is to take particular measures in that area, that is what we will do and that will be a very ordinary response to a public health problem.”

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:50 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:

R rate?

2m social distancing?

Whats worries me though is that the politicians seem to be following the science less and listening more to big business.[/quote

please do tell how they work this R rate out and what figures they are using... ive never seen any figures fluctuate so much in my life... its like asking someone how long does it take to drive from A to B but telling them you don't know how far A is from B or how fast the car is going..

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:34 pm

skidemin wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:

R rate?

2m social distancing?

Whats worries me though is that the politicians seem to be following the science less and listening more to big business.[/quote

please do tell how they work this R rate out and what figures they are using... ive never seen any figures fluctuate so much in my life... its like asking someone how long does it take to drive from A to B but telling them you don't know how far A is from B or how fast the car is going..

Drakeford is head of WG so it's his responsibility for making decisions but you really have to question where he is getting this advice from and what they are using to make such decisions? Case in point is car showrooms never get more than a couple of people in at any one time if lucky... no problem with social distancing so England as opened theirs while if we are lucky he'll announce something in 3wks ( his words)!! Places that easily can implement social distancing should be allowed to open now...

Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:01 am

Coronavirus: Tory MPs demand evidence for five-mile travel advice

Eleven Conservative MPs have called on Welsh ministers to explain the "scientific basis" behind the decision to allow more activity outdoors - but only locally.

On Monday people in Wales were given the right to go outdoors and meet others from another household, but only within a local area.

A restriction of five miles was given as a "general rule".

The Welsh Government was asked for comment.

First Minister Mark Drakeford said the decision aimed to reduce the risk of coronavirus spreading.

The five-mile guidance has been heavily criticised by Senedd Welsh Conservatives, who have accused the Welsh Government of ignoring the needs of rural communities.
Scientific advisors to the Conservative UK government have expressed concern at the speed lockdown is being eased in England. In England, the UK government has allowed for unlimited travel and for groups of six to meet.

A letter penned by Ynys Mon MP Virginia Crosbie, and signed by all Welsh Tory MPs barring the Welsh Secretary Simon Hart and Wales Office minister David TC Davies, asked for the scientific basis for the travel rule and interpretation of it "given that in England there is no restriction on how far you can travel".

It asked if "delays in linking up to the UK testing portal and delays in rolling out Wales' own track and trace digital platform impacted the reluctance to lift measures".

Contact tracing began on Monday, although an IT system to support it will not be in place until next week.

The letter also asked if any assessment had been done of the public health impact of an "overextended lockdown" in Wales, and of any mental health and educational impacts from delaying reopening the economy.

Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:16 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:Coronavirus: Tory MPs demand evidence for five-mile travel advice

Eleven Conservative MPs have called on Welsh ministers to explain the "scientific basis" behind the decision to allow more activity outdoors - but only locally.

On Monday people in Wales were given the right to go outdoors and meet others from another household, but only within a local area.

A restriction of five miles was given as a "general rule".

The Welsh Government was asked for comment.

First Minister Mark Drakeford said the decision aimed to reduce the risk of coronavirus spreading.

The five-mile guidance has been heavily criticised by Senedd Welsh Conservatives, who have accused the Welsh Government of ignoring the needs of rural communities.
Scientific advisors to the Conservative UK government have expressed concern at the speed lockdown is being eased in England. In England, the UK government has allowed for unlimited travel and for groups of six to meet.

A letter penned by Ynys Mon MP Virginia Crosbie, and signed by all Welsh Tory MPs barring the Welsh Secretary Simon Hart and Wales Office minister David TC Davies, asked for the scientific basis for the travel rule and interpretation of it "given that in England there is no restriction on how far you can travel".

It asked if "delays in linking up to the UK testing portal and delays in rolling out Wales' own track and trace digital platform impacted the reluctance to lift measures".

Contact tracing began on Monday, although an IT system to support it will not be in place until next week.

The letter also asked if any assessment had been done of the public health impact of an "overextended lockdown" in Wales, and of any mental health and educational impacts from delaying reopening the economy.

Out in the Country. if you travel 5 Country miles to get to the shop you can travel 5 country miles to see relatives in the garden.However have a piss before you leave home as you can't use the bog when you get there.