Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Drakeford

Fri May 29, 2020 1:46 pm

What was the point of that statement he made today?

Changes nothing except saying you can meet a few people you know as long as you do it in your or their garden and don't travel more than five miles to do it.

No mention of what's happening with schools, keeping all beauty sites and attractions closed, no guidance for the public to think about returning to work - nothing. Then say we'll look at it again in three weeks time.

Mentions this mythical "R" rating and says it's no better than it was three weeks ago. Well it's also no worse than three weeks ago and the general assumption seems to be that as long as it's below 1 (currently 0.8) then lockdown restrictions can be eased. Not for Drakeford however - he seems to want there to be no infections and no deaths in the whole country before he'll even consider letting us travel more than five miles from our house.

Another three weeks (at least) of the economy, education and people's mental well being in Wales being absolutely shafted by a government and leader who are proving themselves to be almost laughably incompetent.

Talk about sitting on your hands and doing nothing.

This is in a country where the daily death toll has been in single figures or low teens for days now - in a population of 3.5 million people.

They give every impression of having no clue whatsoever - there's no guidance, no leadership and no certainty for the Welsh people as to how they can go forward from the current position.

Have been following the guidelines completely up to now but when those supposed to be leading us are proving to be so inflexible and incompetent it's enough to make me want to go for a walk on Barry beach - if it wasn't blocked off with roadblocks and police of course.

Absolute bunch of clowns.

Re: Drakeford

Fri May 29, 2020 2:01 pm

Got stopped by the Police today, and they asked why I was making a journey( shopping for my Mother).. and there’s huge queues at the garden centres.

Nothing more can be said about Drakeford and the Assembly, other than offering the deepest sympathy for the people of Wales..

Fri May 29, 2020 2:25 pm

Third rate bureaucrat at best, complete waste of time. I believe we are close to people just giving all this the finger:

Where does the 2 metre rule originate?
Where are the Medical studies to back this insistence up?
WHO suggest 1 metre
"We are going with the science" they claim ! Why are we the worst in the world for deaths, pro rata per head of population we are above the USA...ergo what is wrong with the science?
We are heading for an economic meltdown the likes of which we have never witnessed
The politicians will all have jobs irrespective of the virus
The Prime Minister has been found out for what he is a blustering clown who is intellectually not up to the job hence the need to protect Cummings
The Media hysteria is totally out of proportion and skewed.Remember the Fleet Street mantra if it bleeds it leads!
Currently Gwent Police are booking hundreds of motorists they are losing people fast and the public will not forget.Suddenly there are police everywhere.My mate waited a week for plod to turn up after he was burgled before the virus.

Quite frankly I do not believe a word any politician says on this, as for the"experts" well I have lost faith.

Fri May 29, 2020 2:32 pm

Jimmy Scoular wrote:Third rate bureaucrat at best, complete waste of time. I believe we are close to people just giving all this the finger:

Where does the 2 metre rule originate?
Where are the Medical studies to back this insistence up?
WHO suggest 1 metre
"We are going with the science" they claim ! Why are we the worst in the world for deaths, pro rata per head of population we are above the USA...ergo what is wrong with the science?
We are heading for an economic meltdown the likes of which we have never witnessed
The politicians will all have jobs irrespective of the virus
The Prime Minister has been found out for what he is a blustering clown who is intellectually not up to the job hence the need to protect Cummings
The Media hysteria is totally out of proportion and skewed.Remember the Fleet Street mantra if it bleeds it leads!
Currently Gwent Police are booking hundreds of motorists they are losing people fast and the public will not forget.Suddenly there are police everywhere.My mate waited a week for plod to turn up after he was burgled before the virus.

Quite frankly I do not believe a word any politician says on this, as for the"experts" well I have lost faith.

Apparently the "experts" made up a social distancing figure of 1.5 metres (based on guesswork rather than science) and it was felt that the British public were too thick to be able to work out exactly what 1.5 metres was.

Fri May 29, 2020 3:45 pm

Markets, sports sites and house sales part of next review

Other than the changes announced to the lockdown rules that will be introduced from Monday, current guidelines to protect people from coronavirus will stay in place for the time being.

But Mark Drakeford said the Welsh Government would consider further easing at the next review on 18 June.

Reopening non-essential retail
Increasing capacity for childcare and public transport to support a wider return to work
Facilitating moving house to boost the housing market
Reopening outdoors sites, including outdoor markets, sports courts, outdoor showrooms, and outdoor museums
Reopening facilities for non-professional elite athletes to train safely

Fri May 29, 2020 3:47 pm

'R number not going down'

The first minister says the coronavirus lockdown relaxation is limited in Wales because the R number - the measure of how many new people are infected by each case - is "no better today than it was three weeks ago".

Speaking at the Welsh Government's daily Covid-19 briefing, Mark Drakeford said the "good news" was the number of new cases had been steadily declining since the beginning of April, even though twice as many tests were being carried out.

Mr Drakeford said "the very clear advice" from UK scientific advisors and the World Health Organization is that changes should be introduced "one step at a time".

He said people have missed seeing their families and friends over the last three months while the stay-at-home regulations have been in place.

Fri May 29, 2020 4:20 pm

His logic for 5miles is so that we dont spread virus to far? great if live in big place like Cardiff where can spread it to many thousands within 5 miles of house? What about rest of Wales nearest place to me is approx 5miles away at his rate be next year before can meet anyone outside st David's!! Schools not opening until sept as he as stated wont open in June and hols start mid july so Sept it will be....shops can only open if can keep 2mtrs rule good luck on be able to do that on welfield rd Clifton St ect ect with shop doors only feet apart! Hes given wales sfa on going forward not like rest UK who have a plan .. hes just a politician who is to far up his own arse he thinks he's important ..... :roll:

Fri May 29, 2020 4:51 pm

No mention of people returning to work or schools going back but will consider re-opening facilities for non-professional elite athletes to train safely.

Glad to see the Welsh Assembly Government are prioritising the things that really matter.

Fri May 29, 2020 4:57 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:'R number not going down'

The first minister says the coronavirus lockdown relaxation is limited in Wales because the R number - the measure of how many new people are infected by each case - is "no better today than it was three weeks ago".

Speaking at the Welsh Government's daily Covid-19 briefing, Mark Drakeford said the "good news" was the number of new cases had been steadily declining since the beginning of April, even though twice as many tests were being carried out.

Mr Drakeford said "the very clear advice" from UK scientific advisors and the World Health Organization is that changes should be introduced "one step at a time".

He said people have missed seeing their families and friends over the last three months while the stay-at-home regulations have been in place.

I assume if this "R" rating doesn't go down in three weeks time then we'll continue in the same way for another three weeks and so on and so on.

Seems every other country in the world is looking to ease themselves out of the draconian measures except in Wales who are simply hiding behind this "R" rating bollocks because they have no idea what to do.

Fri May 29, 2020 5:32 pm

davids wrote:

I assume if this "R" rating doesn't go down in three weeks time then we'll continue in the same way for another three weeks and so on and so on.

Seems every other country in the world is looking to ease themselves out of the draconian measures except in Wales who are simply hiding behind this "R" rating bollocks because they have no idea what to do.

You would think that if this R rate does not go down in the next 3 weeks - Then Yes i agree with you on "Science ".
The R in Wales 0.8 is higher than most parts of England - but they have gone as areas / country as one .
The next 3 weeks will be interesting as they say numbers are going down in the UK - so lets see what Wales do next .

Fri May 29, 2020 5:32 pm

davids wrote:

Well that's his logic but tbh by that we will be locked down to next year if lucky! The 3 Other leaders have set out plans as to what will happen if all ok as it is now..... he says will look at doing something in 3 weeks so presume will have to wait another couple of weeks afterwards to start opening things? Today's announcement is bullocks as generally people been meeting up in parks and wherever been taking exercise so given us fck all again!

Fri May 29, 2020 5:37 pm

It's a shambles, complete and utter shambles.
Where is the science that says covid will spread less if people don't travel more than 5 miles? It's what they do when they get there that matters.
Never ever thought I'd be thinking this but maybe some civil unrest is what is needed to bring some sense and reality to our deluded politicians.

Fri May 29, 2020 5:49 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:It's a shambles, complete and utter shambles.
Where is the science that says covid will spread less if people don't travel more than 5 miles? It's what they do when they get there that matters.
Never ever thought I'd be thinking this but maybe some civil unrest is what is needed to bring some sense and reality to our deluded politicians.

That's the part i did not get the 5 miles ?? Some people might have to drive 6 or 7 miles to go shopping .
Bump into people they don't know but that's ok essential journey - Rule of Thump !! - :roll:
Up to people do work out what's best for them - Rule of Cummings for some ;)

Fri May 29, 2020 6:07 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:

That's the part i did not get the 5 miles ?? Some people might have to drive 6 or 7 miles to go shopping .
Bump into people they don't know but that's ok essential journey - Rule of Thump !! - :roll:

He went on to say basically if you live rural area use common sense on how far you drive As rural people are disproportionately disadvantaged... his logic about spreading virus further if go more than 5 miles is crap just meeting other people is inherently going to spread virus regardless of how far travel! Basically he and hus sidekicks are clueless.. :roll:

Fri May 29, 2020 6:13 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

He went on to say basically if you live rural area use common sense on how far you drive As rural people are disproportionately disadvantaged... his logic about spreading virus further if go more than 5 miles is crap just meeting other people is inherently going to spread virus regardless of how far travel! Basically he and hus sidekicks are clueless.. :roll:

Agree - look at Cardiff it's more than 5 miles from east- west or the other way around .

Fri May 29, 2020 6:39 pm

Drakeford and his cronies are no more than 3rd rate clerical assistants

Unfortunately for him, the Country is going to overtake his dithering and force further relaxations

No way is anyone going to stick to the 5 mile rule it’s complete nonsense

With many more freedoms over the border, people will just start ignoring the rules

Fri May 29, 2020 7:30 pm

davids wrote:What was the point of that statement he made today?

Changes nothing except saying you can meet a few people you know as long as you do it in your or their garden and don't travel more than five miles to do it.

No mention of what's happening with schools, keeping all beauty sites and attractions closed, no guidance for the public to think about returning to work - nothing. Then say we'll look at it again in three weeks time.

Mentions this mythical "R" rating and says it's no better than it was three weeks ago. Well it's also no worse than three weeks ago and the general assumption seems to be that as long as it's below 1 (currently 0.8) then lockdown restrictions can be eased. Not for Drakeford however - he seems to want there to be no infections and no deaths in the whole country before he'll even consider letting us travel more than five miles from our house.

Another three weeks (at least) of the economy, education and people's mental well being in Wales being absolutely shafted by a government and leader who are proving themselves to be almost laughably incompetent.

Talk about sitting on your hands and doing nothing.

This is in a country where the daily death toll has been in single figures or low teens for days now - in a population of 3.5 million people.

They give every impression of having no clue whatsoever - there's no guidance, no leadership and no certainty for the Welsh people as to how they can go forward from the current position.

Have been following the guidelines completely up to now but when those supposed to be leading us are proving to be so inflexible and incompetent it's enough to make me want to go for a walk on Barry beach - if it wasn't blocked off with roadblocks and police of course.

Absolute bunch of clowns.

Complete clown who puts his political agenda over some very important issues and people’s livelihoods. :banghead:
Feel sorry for some self employed folks who really want to open up shops, salons and the like. Absolutely no clue what to do or even a path to follow......like people haven’t been accidentally seeing people in parks the whole time, at a distance of course. So, nothings changed. Longest lockdown in the world Wales now are we? :banghead:

Fri May 29, 2020 8:00 pm

Drakeford is a semi retired geography teacher who has happened to find himself apparently running Wales.
The problem is - he is, because he cant as he is incapable. The whole press conference by Drakeford and Co - is just an embarrassing mess of nonsense. Half the stuff he says it seems is just to be 'different' from Westminster.

The number of tests carried out is pitifully low, the attempt by the wag to start a price for ppe with the english nhs is also just plain stupid.

But there we go - Wales has had the same party in power since the start of devolution 20 odd years ago - thats not good for democracy. But if you keep voting them in - then you have no one else to blame. The majority get what they vote for - which in this case is hopeless. We deserve so much more and better than this.

Fri May 29, 2020 8:31 pm

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:Drakeford is a semi retired geography teacher who has happened to find himself apparently running Wales.
The problem is - he is, because he cant as he is incapable. The whole press conference by Drakeford and Co - is just an embarrassing mess of nonsense. Half the stuff he says it seems is just to be 'different' from Westminster.

The number of tests carried out is pitifully low, the attempt by the wag to start a price for ppe with the english nhs is also just plain stupid.

But there we go - Wales has had the same party in power since the start of devolution 20 odd years ago - thats not good for democracy. But if you keep voting them in - then you have no one else to blame. The majority get what they vote for - which in this case is hopeless. We deserve so much more and better than this.

Brilliant post, Drakeford is a pitiful leader who seems to be doing things just to be different and look like he is in charge. There is not a lot of actual evidence to back up his rule making

Probably shouldn’t be saying this but there is no way I am going to be following the 5 mile rule. I have not seen my daughter for 10 weeks and she lives 40 miles away and I will be visiting her in the next few days (I will follow the rules with social distancing and hand washes etc) but I will be visiting her regardless of what the bumbling bafoon Drakeford says

Fri May 29, 2020 8:32 pm

The other thing he mentioned is that WG doesn't have the money to pay for keeping people at home under furlough! yet he says unless you have 2mtrs space at your premises you cannot open so how the fck do hairdressers barbers and the like open? Guess his master plan is they all close and the people claim benefits which is paid by DWP :roll:

Fri May 29, 2020 8:34 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

Agree - look at Cardiff it's more than 5 miles from east- west or the other way around .

It’s about 12 miles from Culverhouse to st Mellons isn’t it? Some idiot in the assembly said it was just to suit cardiff people too, they dint even realise how big the city is do they..... :banghead:

Fri May 29, 2020 8:48 pm

goats wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

It’s about 12 miles from Culverhouse to st Mellons isn’t it? Some idiot in the assembly said it was just to suit cardiff people too, they dint even realise how big the city is do they..... :banghead:

Like most things he says there Is no thought gone into process? 5mile radius in Cardiff can mean 20k people here it's one man and his dog or sheep!! So to say it's to keep from spreading to far is great for down here but Cardiff...swansea ect he's being stupid in the extreme..

Fri May 29, 2020 11:59 pm

What an utterly stupid thing to say. Unbelievable!!

Sat May 30, 2020 12:56 am

moonboots wrote:

What an utterly stupid thing to say. Unbelievable!!

I agree mate, where on earth did he get the 5 mile idea from ?

Sat May 30, 2020 8:14 am

Why cant we organise a Drakeford out protest. Somewhere like Blackweir where there is plenty of space to socially distance.
Otherwise how do we get the message across that we have had enough incompetence.
Lots of people can walk there or cycle there or drive 5 miles to exercise there. It just so happens we arrive on the same day/time with Drakeford out posters.

Sat May 30, 2020 8:56 am

He can’t relax rules more as. testing and track and trace nowhere near ready.
Passing over orders to start tracking from next week , yet no system in place, even expecting people to record by using paper trace if on line system not in place.. awful management by the welsh assembly,

Sat May 30, 2020 9:31 am

Bonner wrote:He can’t relax rules more as. testing and track and trace nowhere near ready.
Passing over orders to start tracking from next week , yet no system in place, even expecting people to record by using paper trace if on line system not in place.. awful management by the welsh assembly,

Really annoying as my daughter is a ENvironmental Health Inspector and is one of the people assigned to do the tracking and tracing. She said that she’s all ready to go but is held back by the WAG red tape which is ridiculous.

Sat May 30, 2020 10:38 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Bonner wrote:He can’t relax rules more as. testing and track and trace nowhere near ready.

Really annoying as my daughter is a ENvironmental Health Inspector and is one of the people assigned to do the tracking and tracing. She said that she’s all ready to go but is held back by the WAG red tape which is ridiculous.

The words "organise", "brewery" and "piss up" spring to mind.

Sat May 30, 2020 10:53 am

davids wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

The words "organise", "brewery" and "piss up" spring to mind.

Tracking and tracing is great if people cooperate? But would you admit being near to someone who as been positive and be 14 days in isolation with just statuary sick pay of £98 week? Also got until end oct to get this up and running and effective as furlough ends and people will have to go to work! But given WG attempts at testing wouldn't expect it to work. :?

Sat May 30, 2020 11:12 am

I got stop stopped going to Caerphilly castle.
I said it was Mary's birthday and coincidentally my eye test was due the same day.
On a more serious note sage scientists are saying the lock down in England is an economic decision not health related.
If Areta hadn't said he was covid positive that weekend Premier league and EFL games would have gone ahead.
There would have been 1000s of deaths.
Liverpool v Athletio shouldn't have taken place and the Steroponics gig shouldn't have either.
Bare this in mind. Under 200 deaths in Greece. Japan in 880
What an absolute f*cking scandal in the U.K