Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Premier League matches WILL be on free to air TV "

Thu May 28, 2020 6:00 pm

Premier League confirmed to return on June 17th, with all matches behind closed doors.

Every match will be shown live on TV between Sky Sports, BT Sport, Amazon Prime and BBC Sport.

BBC have confirmed they'll have four live games.

Sky have said they'll have 64 live games, with 25 of them to be free to air on their Pick channel.

BT Sport will show 20 live matches, although none of them will be available free to air.

Amazon Prime will show four live games, and you can get a free trial with them.

Re: " Premier League matches WILL be on free to air TV "

Thu May 28, 2020 6:20 pm

Cant see myself watching as football without fans is nothing.

Thu May 28, 2020 7:04 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Premier League confirmed to return on June 17th, with all matches behind closed doors.

Every match will be shown live on TV between Sky Sports, BT Sport, Amazon Prime and BBC Sport.

BBC have confirmed they'll have four live games.

Sky have said they'll have 64 live games, with 25 of them to be free to air on their Pick channel.

Remaining 24 games to be split between BT Sport and Amazon Prime.

Not yet clear whether BT Sport will show any games free to air, but you can get a free trial with Amazon Prime.

Great stuff. Will be weird but better than nothing at all.

Thu May 28, 2020 7:22 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:Cant see myself watching as football without fans is nothing.

Clearly you're wrong.

Premier League, Bundesliga, La Liga and Serie A will all be back by June 20th and all without fans at games.

Bundesliga has worked alright without fans.

It's a nice thought to say it's nothing without fans, but in reality money is more important now.

It won't be the same, I agree. But I'm looking forward to watching it again.

Thu May 28, 2020 10:05 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Charlie Harper wrote:Cant see myself watching as football without fans is nothing.

Clearly you're wrong.

Premier League, Bundesliga, La Liga and Serie A will all be back by June 20th and all without fans at games.

It's a nice thought to say it's nothing without fans, but in reality money is more important now.

It's nothing without fans and you know it

Thu May 28, 2020 10:07 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

Clearly you're wrong.

You're factually incorrect

Thu May 28, 2020 10:30 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Charlie Harper wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

Clearly you're wrong.

You're factually incorrect

And it’s a matter of choice surely.

Fri May 29, 2020 9:06 am

Charlie Harper wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

Clearly you're wrong.

Charlie you are spot on.

They taken everything now we can’t even go to watch our team play. They think that little of us I don’t know if I’ll go back now after being treated like this.

Fri May 29, 2020 9:41 am

Bigmarkw wrote:
Charlie Harper wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

Clearly you're wrong.

Charlie you are spot on.

They taken everything now we can’t even go to watch our team play. They think that little of us I don’t know if I’ll go back now after being treated like this.

It's not being considered safe with fans at the moment mate. Can't see why you'd want to stop going as it's not the clubs' fault.
Stick with it mate. :thumbup:

Fri May 29, 2020 10:30 am

Its a massive plus, with or without fans this is great news :thumbup:

Fri May 29, 2020 11:32 am

It will be interesting top see how many fans return in the long term.
Short term the numbers will probably drop off, but there may be a rush to return for something to do. Who knows?

But people may have found other interests now, that will take priority over going to football -time with family, sports like cycling or just relaxing at home. Avoiding the hassle of driving, parking and getting soaked while attending games.

There is also the issue of the "habit" being broken. How many went as a habit or almost duty to the games?
This has now been broken. It could be interesting times for the clubs on a financial basis.

Fri May 29, 2020 5:18 pm

glas wrote:It will be interesting top see how many fans return in the long term.
Short term the numbers will probably drop off, but there may be a rush to return for something to do. Who knows?

But people may have found other interests now, that will take priority over going to football -time with family, sports like cycling or just relaxing at home. Avoiding the hassle of driving, parking and getting soaked while attending games.

There is also the issue of the "habit" being broken. How many went as a habit or almost duty to the games?
This has now been broken. It could be interesting times for the clubs on a financial basis.

Good points, particularly about breaking the habit. Personally thought, I can’t wait to go back and I’m pretty sure I’ll feel the same (if not more so) when they first allow fans back in.

Fri May 29, 2020 5:52 pm

Bigmarkw wrote:
Charlie Harper wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

Clearly you're wrong.

Charlie you are spot on.

Yeah it's nothing without us fans though I understand the season has to be completed, but I wont watch the games on TV u less its City.
Worcester got this one wrong

Sat May 30, 2020 3:27 pm

Live Premier League football to be free on BBC

Oliver Dowden says a third of the Premier League matches to finish the season will now be free to view, including the Liverpool-Everton derby.

"Live Premier League football will be on the BBC for the first time in its history," he says.

He adds there is a serious public health benefit of getting people to watch at home.

Sat May 30, 2020 3:54 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Live Premier League football to be free on BBC

Oliver Dowden says a third of the Premier League matches to finish the season will now be free to view, including the Liverpool-Everton derby.

"Live Premier League football will be on the BBC for the first time in its history," he says.

He adds there is a serious public health benefit of getting people to watch at home.

Thing is Tony bbc have only got 4 matches to show and bt sport has many but will not be showing them for free, sky obviously have a lot and is showing quite a lot for free :thumbup:

Sat May 30, 2020 3:56 pm

I don't think they should be free....

should be free to ST holders.. should they choose to accept that over refunds..

Sat May 30, 2020 5:32 pm

The Premier League says it is “thrilled” to be given the go-ahead by the UK government to resume behind closed doors.

UK Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has announced top-level sport in England can be played from Monday.

The English top-flight had already announced it hoped to resume on 17 June, subject to government approval.

"We have provisionally planned to restart, but there is still much work to be done to ensure the safety of everyone involved," Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said.

"If all goes well, we will be thrilled to resume the 2019-20 season in just over two weeks’ time."

There are 92 fixtures still to be played in the season, which was suspended on 13 March.

Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:01 pm

Date for the diary: 20 June
Some good news for all the football fans, courtesy of Gary Lineker:

The first ever live Premier League game to be shown on terrestrial television will be @afcbournemouth v @CPFC on Saturday 20th June. @BBCOne from 7.45.

Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:09 pm

Liverpool mayor wants to hold Merseyside derby at Goodison Park

Liverpool's potential title-winning clash against Everton should be played at Goodison Park instead of a neutral venue, according to the city's mayor Joe Anderson.

The Merseyside derby will be the first match for Jurgen Klopp's side once the Premier League restarts following the coronavirus interruption.

If second placed Manchester City lose at home to Arsenal on 17June, then leaders Liverpool can wrap up their first English title for 30 years with a victory over their city rivals.

At present the game is scheduled for Goodison on 21 June, but there have been calls from police chiefs to move it to a neutral venue to avoid fans congregating outside in violation of social distancing rules.

The fixture was on a list of 'high risk' games drawn up by police chiefs last month and Anderson previously said it was not a good idea to restart the season because fans would not stay away.

Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:07 pm

I would imagine after waiting 30 years,Liverpool fans will find it almost impossible not to attend? And after the numbers allowed to protest lately,will be thinking"if it's ok for them,why not for us?" Can imagine the police will be a lot tougher if they do ;) :old: :bluebird:

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:57 pm

Liverpool can play home matches at Anfield when the Premier League season restarts, while the Merseyside derby has been cleared to be held at Everton's Goodison Park stadium.

The match on 21 June could be the first chance for Liverpool, who are 25 points clear at the top, to clinch their first league title in 30 years.

It was one of the games considered a risk because of fears fans could congregate outside the ground, so Southampton's St Mary's had been earmarked as a potential neutral venue.

But the city of Liverpool's ground safety advisory group has now recommended that both Liverpool and Everton can play their remaining home fixtures "safely and securely" behind closed doors at their own stadiums.

Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:30 pm

Premier League players to wear 'Black Lives Matter' on back of shirts

Premier League players' names will be replaced on the back of their shirts with 'Black Lives Matter' for the first 12 matches of the restarted season.

The Premier League will also support any player who chooses to 'take a knee' before or during matches.

Players in Germany have made gestures of solidarity with people protesting about the death of George Floyd.

"We, the players, stand together with the singular objective of eradicating racial prejudice," read a statement.

In a joint message from all 20 clubs, players added that they were committed to "a global society of inclusion, respect, and equal opportunities for all, regardless of their colour or creed".

A Black Lives Matter badge will feature on all playing shirts for the rest of the season alongside a badge thanking NHS staff for their work during the coronavirus outbreak.

Several Premier League squads have already 'taken a knee' in training-ground images shared on social media, and anti-racism charity Kick It Out had asked that players feel free to do so on the pitch.