Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

If we keep furlough people will not want to go back to work

Mon May 11, 2020 8:38 am

It's a real problem, we need to wean people off free money, people need more incentive to go back to work if they can.

Maybe categorise occupations, so maybe bars and clubs can continue because they're not allowed to open, but close it for office workers if that is categorised as safe, then if people still don't want to go it's there choice they can have unpaid leave?

Re: If we keep furlough people will not want to go back to w

Mon May 11, 2020 8:46 am

Fortunately furlough is coming to an end soon so financial necessity means people will go back to work... but wouldn't hold breath on teachers wag says need 3weeks to plan return head teacher says needs more time than that plus 1 teacher every ten kids at the rate they are suggesting for kids to return be next year before any resemblance of normal is acquired? Oh forgot 90% of rural kids travel by bus to school not even god knows how to have social distancing on these busses... :o

Mon May 11, 2020 8:59 am

pembroke allan wrote:Fortunately furlough is coming to an end soon so financial necessity means people will go back to work... but wouldn't hold breath on teachers wag says need 3weeks to plan return head teacher says needs more time than that plus 1 teacher every ten kids at the rate they are suggesting for kids to return be next year before any resemblance of normal is acquired? Oh forgot 90% of rural kids travel by bus to school not even god knows how to have social distancing on these busses... :o

Honestly, I wouldn't want to go to WAR with this generation, there was a teacher emailed in saying how could she social distance from the kids?

It looks like kids are safe from the virus and have no ill effects, and there is a strong belief that the children aren't spreaders either?

Get the youngest teachers in first obviously, any real old ones with serious health conditions should take it more carefully maybe in an office, doing teacher plans or something, but we have to get back to the new normal quickly.

Mon May 11, 2020 9:29 am

Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Fortunately furlough is coming to an end soon so financial necessity means people will go back to work... but wouldn't hold breath on teachers wag says need 3weeks to plan return head teacher says needs more time than that plus 1 teacher every ten kids at the rate they are suggesting for kids to return be next year before any resemblance of normal is acquired? Oh forgot 90% of rural kids travel by bus to school not even god knows how to have social distancing on these busses... :o

Honestly, I wouldn't want to go to WAR with this generation, there was a teacher emailed in saying how could she social distance from the kids?

It looks like kids are safe from the virus and have no ill effects, and there is a strong belief that the children aren't spreaders either?

Get the youngest teachers in first obviously, any real old ones with serious health conditions should take it more carefully maybe in an office, doing teacher plans or something, but we have to get back to the new normal quickly.

I haven’t seen the ‘strong belief’ that you talk about re kids being carriers. In fact I heard one of the scientific advisers suggesting that it could be a problem as they could be carriers without getting ill themselves.
I think that with older children it will be a lot more straight forward but can you imagine the nursery / reception teacher getting her 4-6 year olds keeping a distance?
I’ve worked in a hub school on rota and it was fine and schools could I believe reopen under those guidelines. It will take mass rearranging of classes etc but it can be done.
Younger children would be a nightmare / impossible to organise.

Mon May 11, 2020 9:33 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

I haven’t seen the ‘strong belief’ that you talk about re kids being carriers. In fact I heard one of the scientific advisers suggesting that it could be a problem as they could be carriers without getting ill themselves.
I think that with older children it will be a lot more straight forward but can you imagine the nursery / reception teacher getting her 4-6 year olds keeping a distance?
I’ve worked in a hub school on rota and it was fine and schools could I believe reopen under those guidelines. It will take mass rearranging of classes etc but it can be done.

Ok I've heard it said several times, but maybe they are still learning :thumbup:

Mon May 11, 2020 9:43 am

Bluebina wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Ok I've heard it said several times, but maybe they are still learning :thumbup:

I do agree with your point re people not wanting to go back to work being a problem though mate. We’ll see how it pans out come June - July I suppose :thumbup:

Mon May 11, 2020 2:14 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

I do agree with your point re people not wanting to go back to work being a problem though mate. We’ll see how it pans out come June - July I suppose :thumbup:

If kids are carriers but dont show signs of corvid they shouldn't be allowed in shops ect ect.. and when will it be safe for teachers to go into a classroom? Also teachers/union saying kids of key workers are potentially a risk to other kids and teachers! Cant see schools opening until at least Sept if that.... as for OP
Why would anyone want to go to work if getting paid to stay at home especially as unite union is telling workers to refuse to go to work if social distancing cannot be done? :?

Mon May 11, 2020 6:48 pm

Bluebina wrote:It's a real problem, we need to wean people off free money, people need more incentive to go back to work if they can.

Maybe categorise occupations, so maybe bars and clubs can continue because they're not allowed to open, but close it for office workers if that is categorised as safe, then if people still don't want to go it's there choice they can have unpaid leave?

You do realise it's not free money dont you ? It's my money in real terms and I will get taxed in the future to "pay" it back

Mon May 11, 2020 6:55 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:
Bluebina wrote:It's a real problem, we need to wean people off free money, people need more incentive to go back to work if they can.

You do realise it's not free money dont you ? It's my money in real terms and I will get taxed in the future to "pay" it back

It’s free money to stay at home, then all tax payers like Nurses will make it up From their future income.

Mon May 11, 2020 11:01 pm

Somewhere in here,a post states iypt will carry on furlough through till September! !!! People's grandkids will be paying for this. :bluebird: :bluebird:

Tue May 12, 2020 12:04 am

If kids are carriers but dont show signs of corvid they shouldn't be allowed in shops ect ect.. and when will it be safe for teachers to go into a classroom? Also teachers/union saying kids of key workers are potentially a risk to other kids and teachers! Cant see schools opening until at least Sept if that.... as for OP
Why would anyone want to go to work if getting paid to stay at home especially as unite union is telling workers to refuse to go to work if social distancing cannot be done? :?
.[/quote]

Brilliant advice from unite union.. refuse to go to work

This might mean the company you work for will then go bankrupt and you then won’t have to worry about social distancing at work because you won’t have a job..simples!!

Tue May 12, 2020 6:48 am

Bluebina wrote:

It’s free money to stay at home, then all tax payers like Nurses will make it up From their future income.

The money paid through the furlough scheme is also taxable income.

Tue May 12, 2020 6:55 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
Brilliant advice from unite union.. refuse to go to work

This might mean the company you work for will then go bankrupt and you then won’t have to worry about social distancing at work because you won’t have a job..simples!!

I'm pretty sure the advice is don't return to work if you feel unsafe because you're employer hasn't implemented social distancing or provided other safety measures such as proper PPE. It is reasonable for employees to expect their employer to make their working environment as safe as possible.

If the employer doesn't act reasonably then it is them who are dicing with the future of the company and risking bankruptcy.

Tue May 12, 2020 8:42 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Of course it is, it's still income.

Tue May 12, 2020 8:46 am

bluesince62 wrote:Somewhere in here,a post states iypt will carry on furlough through till September! !!! People's grandkids will be paying for this. :bluebird: :bluebird:

There is talk of carrying it until September but at a reduced rate of 60%, that should only be for certain categories like Pub's that aren't allowed to open, everyone else should be back to work or unpaid leave if you're job is open but you refuse to go back.

Tue May 12, 2020 9:07 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

I knew I'd seen it somewhere, Switzerland has allowed kids to hug grandparents, I don't think every country is in total agreement though as you say :thumbup:

Tue May 12, 2020 9:42 am

Bluebina wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

I knew I'd seen it somewhere, Switzerland has allowed kids to hug grandparents, I don't think every country is in total agreement though as you say :thumbup:

Many countries have 'softer' rules on corvid all with different results we in this country seem to be determined to find ways not to come out lockdown we should try looking at other countries solutions? EG football europe ready to go back in own stadium us fighting over using neutral stadium Germany ect would have same problem with fans outside home stadium so why we different? Pubs open in sweden, Holland! we'll be lucky to open before xmas..... the list is endless of how unions in particular are fighting any attempt to get started on road back to work and some sort normal life, being paid to stay home is certainly not helping at all ;)

Tue May 12, 2020 10:00 am

Bluebina wrote:

I think testing for the masses(anti-body)will go a long way to solving this issue but however you look at it being pissed off that some are getting a free lunch is a dangerous way of trying to solve this problem.

Tue May 12, 2020 10:22 am

Bluebina wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Nice to agree :thumbup: As we realised those on furlough are still paying tax so it is not 'free money' funded only from the wages of front line/essential workers such as Nurses

Tue May 12, 2020 11:24 am

I think government and society may be looking at this the wrong way round. It’s about managing risk

We are in contact with many viruses from the common cold (still no vaccine) to Norovirus every day all of our lives.

All the evidence suggests that as you get older or have underlying conditions it has a greater chance of killing you. If this virus killed the same as seasonal flu we wouldn’t give a toss about it.

Why don’t we risk asses the 66 million in the country and place you in a category based on age, ethnicity (it seems to matter) and health condition.

If you are a 55 year old white, overweight male with controlled hypotension then you are a medium risk, so you should limit you circle of contact and not have a mass public facing job like a bus driver but you can work in an office, call centre or factory but recommended not to go to a pub or concert. Whereas a 21 year may be very low risk so can do anything and go anywhere. A 75 year old high risk and so on. From a legal perspective the law is already there from an employment stance, your company would need to show reasonable adjustments based upon new legislation.

I would rather place at risk groups on extended furlough than fit healthy ones

We all manage risk everyday. Smoking kills you. At least 5 people a day die and 50 are seriously injured in road traffic accidents in the UK. Bungee or parachute jumps doesn’t need to happen but they do. Following CCFC is not good for you, but we do.

We can’t do a one size fits all, it doesn’t.

Tue May 12, 2020 12:14 pm

UK furlough scheme extended by four months

The UK scheme to pay wages of workers on leave because of coronavirus will be extended to October, Chancellor Rishi Sunak said.

He said the government backed workers and companies going into the lockdown, and would support them coming out.

Mr Sunak confirmed that employees will continue to receive 80% of their monthly wages up to £2,500.

But he said the government will ask companies to "start sharing" the cost of the scheme from August.

Mr Sunak rejected suggestions some people might get "addicted" to furlough if it was extended.

Some 7.5 million workers are now covered by the scheme, up from 6.3 million last week, he said.

The chancellor told the Commons that from August, the scheme would continue for all sectors and regions of the country but with greater flexibility to support the transition back to work, he said.

Employers currently using the scheme would be able to bring furloughed employees back part-time.

Tue May 12, 2020 12:17 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Nice to agree :thumbup: As we realised those on furlough are still paying tax so it is not 'free money' funded only from the wages of front line/essential workers such as Nurses

No it's free money paid for by all the tax payers :thumbup: they will hopefully contribute to it again soon when they start working and paying tax from their earned income :thumbup:

Tue May 12, 2020 12:20 pm

UK furlough scheme extended by four months

The UK scheme to pay wages of workers on leave because of coronavirus will be extended to October, Chancellor Rishi Sunak said.

He said the government backed workers and companies going into the lockdown, and would support them coming out.

Mr Sunak confirmed that employees will continue to receive 80% of their monthly wages up to £2,500.

But he said the government will ask companies to "start sharing" the cost of the scheme from August.

Mr Sunak rejected suggestions some people might get "addicted" to furlough if it was extended.

Some 7.5 million workers are now covered by the scheme, up from 6.3 million last week, he said.

The chancellor told the Commons that from August, the scheme would continue for all sectors and regions of the country but with greater flexibility to support the transition back to work, he said.

Employers currently using the scheme would be able to bring furloughed employees back part-time.

Tue May 12, 2020 12:22 pm

llan bluebird wrote:I think government and society may be looking at this the wrong way round. It’s about managing risk

We are in contact with many viruses from the common cold (still no vaccine) to Norovirus every day all of our lives.

All the evidence suggests that as you get older or have underlying conditions it has a greater chance of killing you. If this virus killed the same as seasonal flu we wouldn’t give a toss about it.

Why don’t we risk asses the 66 million in the country and place you in a category based on age, ethnicity (it seems to matter) and health condition.

If you are a 55 year old white, overweight male with controlled hypotension then you are a medium risk, so you should limit you circle of contact and not have a mass public facing job like a bus driver but you can work in an office, call centre or factory but recommended not to go to a pub or concert. Whereas a 21 year may be very low risk so can do anything and go anywhere. A 75 year old high risk and so on. From a legal perspective the law is already there from an employment stance, your company would need to show reasonable adjustments based upon new legislation.

I would rather place at risk groups on extended furlough than fit healthy ones

We all manage risk everyday. Smoking kills you. At least 5 people a day die and 50 are seriously injured in road traffic accidents in the UK. Bungee or parachute jumps doesn’t need to happen but they do. Following CCFC is not good for you, but we do.

We can’t do a one size fits all, it doesn’t.

It would be hard to arrange but I have always said the same, the youngsters are safe and should have been working all through as minimal risk.

The only problem you would have is half the population are terrified and would be trying to rack up points to move them up a category so they wouldn't have to work. Like the blue badge system, some people will do anything to get one, and many of the old genuine people don't bother.

Tue May 12, 2020 1:01 pm

Forever Blue wrote:UK furlough scheme extended by four months

They will have to be careful people are becoming reliant on it, you have certain headmasters making excuses for not allowing schools to open and some businesses doing the same, but if the government said that's fine but we are not going to pay wages because you won't open they would find a way.

I agree with it continuing with Pub's clubs and occupations that clearly can't open yet, but some businesses should have gentle pressure to be encouraged back to work, maybe that's what they mean by start sharing the cost of the scheme.

Tue May 12, 2020 1:19 pm

Bluebina wrote:

Considering the generation youve slated have taken part in some of the heaviest and prolonged fighting since world war 2 that's a pretty poor statement youve made about them and also there's a colossal difference between "strong belief" and actual fact. Children are capable of spreading a whole array of infectious diseases including C19. And that is a fact.

Tue May 12, 2020 1:30 pm

Panzermouse wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Considering the generation youve slated have taken part in some of the heaviest and prolonged fighting since world war 2 that's a pretty poor statement youve made about them and also there's a colossal difference between "strong belief" and actual fact. Children are capable of spreading a whole array of infectious diseases including C19. And that is a fact.

Switzerland's chief medical adviser would disagree with you, they are allowing kids to hug their grandparents as they say they can't pass the virus on to them, I guess we will soon know for certain?

I take your point about the actual army, they are fantastic and very undervalued, I was thinking the other week, when they risked their lives dodging bullets did they get clapped every week?

I mean the people making excuses for not trying to get the country back to normal :thumbup:

Tue May 12, 2020 3:26 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... n-work.htm

Bosses battle furloughed workers who DON'T want to return to work and would rather put their feet up with 80% pay funded by taxpayers
Some Britons have developed 'furlough fever' and are enjoying 'a paid holiday' at home too much to return to work with the situation 'getting worse every day' the multi-billion pound scheme continues, experts warned MailOnline today.

Bosses are struggling to persuade some staff to come back as the lockdown eases with some people openly refusing or asking a colleague to go back in their place.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak announced today that the Treasury would cover 80 per cent of wages up to a ceiling of £2,500 a month for furloughed staff until July, before splitting the costs with companies until the end of October.

Some of these 7.5million people have also had their salaries topped up to 100 per cent by their bosses, meaning they are not out of pocket at all despite not being required to do any work.

Nicky Jolley, managing director of HR2day, told MailOnline some of her business clients have been left short staffed because workers are reluctant to return from a life at home on furlough - and 'the situation is getting worse' the longer it continues.

She said: 'There are some employees who have quite enjoyed weeks off with 80 percent pay, and with the beautiful weather, schools being closed, and perhaps a partner furloughed or having lost their job, there have been some requests to remain on the scheme. They've got a touch of "furlough fever", enjoying what is, in essence, a paid holiday. Sadly, this is putting strain on businesses who need their staff back'.

She added: 'If it's just a case of wanting to enjoy another three weeks in the garden, employers would be well within their rights to insist this is taken as holiday, unpaid leave or even begin disciplinary proceedings'.

One company boss said on social media today: 'I need to restart my business to avoid insolvency. I have a plan which ensures it’s done safely. The problem is my furloughed staff are finding every excuse not to return to work.

Businesses could face a battle to get staff back as polling claimed that one in five furloughed workers are not keen to return as Boris Johnson tries to revive the economy.

One such worker, whose furlough is being reviewed by bosses every three weeks, told MailOnline today: 'At first I was dreading it because it made me think about whether I would be needed long term. But it's been brilliant. And I'm on full pay with no travel costs, so I'm better off'.

When asked if he would return now he said: 'It depends'.

Health and safety inspectors will also be inspecting offices to check social distancing and hygiene - with unions urging members to walk out or refuse to go into work if they feel unsafe.

Legal experts have said that companies could start disciplinary proceedings and eventually sack staff if they resist returning - as long as the employer agreed a review or return date with the worker when they were furloughed.

But if there is no date or agreed notice period, then a company cannot force someone back and could find themselves in court if they try to force them back or dismiss them.

Rishi Sunak signalled the beginning of the end for the government's massive coronavirus bailout today as he overhauled the furlough scheme.

The Chancellor extended the multi-billion pound subsidy - which currently covers 80 per cent of wages up to a ceiling of £2,500 a month - to the end of October.

With concerns the scheme is costing £14billion a month - roughly equivalent to the NHS budget - Mr Sunak told the Commons that it will be available for workers who go back part-time, in a bid to 'wean' businesses off the support.

Mr Sunak said today: 'Full details will follow by the end of May, but I want to assure people today of one thing that won't change. Workers will through the combined efforts of Government and employers continue to receive the same level of overall support as they do now at 80% of their current salary up to £2,500 a month.

'I'm extending the scheme because I won't give up on the people who rely on it. Our message today is simple: we stood behind Britain's workers and businesses as we came into this crisis, and we will stand behind them as we come through the other side.'

Former Bank of England governor Lord King warned this morning that the scaling down of the furlough arrangements should be linked to the state of the economy, not any particular timeframe.

'The furlough scheme ought to be linked to the performance of the economy and not to a particular calendar timetable,' he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

The Treasury is known to be looking at ways to cut back the scheme that is paying up to 80 per cent of wages, up to a maximum of £2,500 per month.

But some workers in sectors facing months more of uncertainty could reportedly receive supplements if they cannot return to work, or only return part-time.

Mr Sunak has insisted there will be no 'cliff edge' to the support, but admitted the scale of the bailouts are not 'sustainable'.

Lord King urged him to keep the proportion of wages covered at 80 per cent.

'I don't think it makes sense to regard this as the major cost of the Covid-19 crisis in economic terms,' he said.

'These payments under Government schemes are transfers from taxpayers in general to businesses, it will lead to an increase in national debt (but) we can finance that over a long period, particularly given the very low level of long-term real interest rates.

'The real cost of this shutdown is not measured by the impact on the public finances but by the lost incomes and outputs in the economy, a cost which is likely to end up as an order of magnitude (though no one can really know this) of several hundred billion pounds. That's an enormous cost.'

Boris Johnson's roadmap for releasing the lockdown, published yesterday, suggested that hospitality businesses and others like hairdressers and gyms, face being closed until July at the earliest.

Boris Johnson has said that people can return to work from Wednesday as he tries to ease the UK out of lockdown.

At the moment, employees can be furloughed for between three weeks and three months at a time.

After today's announcement by the Chancellor, this could now be extended until October.

But many people have been enjoying their time at home - and some have even refused to come back or asked for a colleague to take their place.

It could set up major battles between management and their staff - with the unions likely to be involved too.

Can workers be forced to return to work from furlough?

Employment experts say the key issue is whether a business included an end date or notice period when they originally furloughed their member of staff.

Without one it could be near impossible to force someone to return quickly.

Jon Heuvel, employment partner at law firm, Shakespeare Martineau, told MailOnline: 'The furlough scheme has not altered basic employment law principles. Any variation in the terms on which someone is employed requires consent from both parties.

'When employees commenced furlough, their employer may well have set out in advance the conditions under which that period of furlough would come to an end – possibly a specified date, possibly by way of notice being served by the employer. In those situations, employees can be forced off furlough in accordance with what has already been contractually agreed.

'However, in the absence of any such provisions, an employer will need to secure the employee’s consent in order to bring the period of furlough to an end'.

What would happen if someone refused to come back to work?

Workers who refuse to return with no good reason, and have been legally furloughed, are likely to face disciplinary proceedings and the sack.

They would likely be dismissed without notice for gross misconduct - on the grounds their behaviour destroyed the relationship of trust and confidence between the employer and employee, making the working relationship impossible to continue.

But if there was no date or agreed notice period at the start of the furlough, then a company cannot force someone back and could find themselves in court if they try to dismiss them.

The business would also face a large payout for breach of employment law.

Why else would a furloughed worker not return to work?

There is a chance that an employee may have become ill or developed mental health problems during the coronavirus crisis.

They are likely to stay on the furlough scheme until it ends, where they would have to be signed off work by a doctor.

Depending on their company's policy, they may only be given Statutory Sick Pay of £95.85 per week, which is paid by the employer for up to 28 weeks.

Can you be made redundant while on furlough?

Yes. You can still be made redundant while you’re furloughed. If you’re entitled to redundancy pay, it will be calculated using the amount you earned before you were furloughed.

How much is the taxpayer-funded furlough costing Britain?

The Institute for Fiscal Studies said that extending the furlough scheme until the end of July in its current format would cost another £10billion.

This would take the total cost for the job retention scheme as it stands to an estimated £60billion.

The IFS said that the cost of the extension from July to October, allowing part-time working, with employers picking up some of the bill, would only be known then full details were revealed.

Tue May 12, 2020 8:14 pm

I Posted on Sunday that this furlough would go beyond June on the "Social Distance Thread " and the percentage of wage.

I thought that the percentage would be around 60% - was shocked to see that's it's still 80% - But not after July .

As i said at the time 3 Million was the Gov target - They got around 9 Million to start and the 1st payment was 6.3 Million.

Now over 7 Million they are paying - This can not go on up to October - But some think it will and don't understand !!!

Some people still don't get we have our own laws in Wales - But this one is for the UK ( Now all 4 are together ).

The longer this goes on - The more chance of people losing jobs and business going under .

Wed May 13, 2020 12:15 pm

Wales businesses 'highest' for furloughing staff

Wales has the highest proportion of businesses applying for the UK government's furlough scheme, says economy minister Ken Skates.

Speaking at the Welsh Government's daily coronavirus briefing, Mr Skates said 74% of companies in Wales had applied for the scheme, "compared to 67% England, 72% Scotland and 65% in Northern Ireland".

He said the Job Retention Scheme was essential to enable large parts of the economy to "hibernate" through the crisis.

Mr Skates said none of the devolved governments had the "fiscal firepower" to provide the "intensity of support" that the scheme has been providing.

Yesterday, Chancellor Rishi Sunak said the UK scheme to pay wages of workers on leave because of coronavirus would be extended to October, although he said companies would be asked to "start sharing" the cost of the scheme from August.

Mr Skates said: "It is essential the Job Retention Scheme is not withdrawn or scaled back too quickly and before businesses have been able properly to restart their operations".