Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: If we keep furlough people will not want to go back to w

Fri May 15, 2020 12:30 am

Bluebina wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:Somewhere in here,a post states iypt will carry on furlough through till September! !!! People's grandkids will be paying for this. :bluebird: :bluebird:

There is talk of carrying it until September but at a reduced rate of 60%, that should only be for certain categories like Pub's that aren't allowed to open, everyone else should be back to work or unpaid leave if you're job is open but you refuse to go back.

Trouble is,my sister is a self employed house keeper/cleaner,doesn't pay massive tax, as she's on low wage, has had to apply for universal credit!! Her problem lies with 9/10 of her clients are elderly infirm people,and although she would go back straight away,her clients are terrified that she may be infected,and will pass it on to them, she has even devised a new schedule to make sure there is as little contact as possible,they won't budge,which she fully understands,but is of no help to her! She also rents her home from the private sector, and is shitting in case her rent can't be met.and I agree for those who cannot return getting something,my sister who has had most of her clients for a good 15/20 years cannot !! And I also agree strongly, some are having a ball on furlough :banghead: :old: :bluebird:

Fri May 15, 2020 12:31 am

Bluebina wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:Somewhere in here,a post states iypt will carry on furlough through till September! !!! People's grandkids will be paying for this. :bluebird: :bluebird:

There is talk of carrying it until September but at a reduced rate of 60%, that should only be for certain categories like Pub's that aren't allowed to open, everyone else should be back to work or unpaid leave if you're job is open but you refuse to go back.

Trouble is,my sister is a self employed house keeper/cleaner,doesn't pay massive tax, as she's on low wage, has had to apply for universal credit!! Her problem lies with 9/10 of her clients are elderly infirm people,and although she would go back straight away,her clients are terrified that she may be infected,and will pass it on to them, she has even devised a new schedule to make sure there is as little contact as possible,they won't budge,which she fully understands,but is of no help to her! She also rents her home from the private sector, and is shitting in case her rent can't be met.and I agree for those who cannot return getting something,my sister who has had most of her clients for a good 15/20 years cannot !! And I also agree strongly, some are having a ball on furlough :banghead: :old: :bluebird:

Fri May 15, 2020 8:16 am

llan bluebird wrote:I think government and society may be looking at this the wrong way round. It’s about managing risk

We are in contact with many viruses from the common cold (still no vaccine) to Norovirus every day all of our lives.

All the evidence suggests that as you get older or have underlying conditions it has a greater chance of killing you. If this virus killed the same as seasonal flu we wouldn’t give a toss about it.

Why don’t we risk asses the 66 million in the country and place you in a category based on age, ethnicity (it seems to matter) and health condition.

If you are a 55 year old white, overweight male with controlled hypotension then you are a medium risk, so you should limit you circle of contact and not have a mass public facing job like a bus driver but you can work in an office, call centre or factory but recommended not to go to a pub or concert. Whereas a 21 year may be very low risk so can do anything and go anywhere. A 75 year old high risk and so on. From a legal perspective the law is already there from an employment stance, your company would need to show reasonable adjustments based upon new legislation.

I would rather place at risk groups on extended furlough than fit healthy ones

We all manage risk everyday. Smoking kills you. At least 5 people a day die and 50 are seriously injured in road traffic accidents in the UK. Bungee or parachute jumps doesn’t need to happen but they do. Following CCFC is not good for you, but we do.

We can’t do a one size fits all, it doesn’t.

Universal lockdown hasn't been as successful as authorities are making out. Considering we're into the 8th week - some 6 weeks since 'peak', we've still got figures close to the those at the start of April, The at-risk groups self- isolating with everyone else carrying on normally wouldn't have produced significantly worse results, and the economy wouldn't be in free fall. We've been scared witless consistently for 3 whole months and there's a sigificant percentage of people - perhaps a majority - who won't return to work until there's zero risk. That isn't going to happen for years..

Wed May 27, 2020 10:17 am

I brought back 12 yesterday and only one of them was keen to come back. They were having a great time wanted to stay furloughed till October. 6 of them asked to be considered for it again if it’s needed in next few months.

Wed May 27, 2020 10:52 am

There will be a lot who will find havent got job to go back to once gvmnt stops paying! And then be more on top of that when businesses find out cant get enough customers through door..

Wed May 27, 2020 11:28 am

bluesince62 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

I do sympathise, that is a genuine case where she can't really go back to work, the same as a barmaid or a hairdresser, they need longer provision and should be helped.

Wed May 27, 2020 11:31 am

Bigmarkw wrote:I brought back 12 yesterday and only one of them was keen to come back. They were having a great time wanted to stay furloughed till October. 6 of them asked to be considered for it again if it’s needed in next few months.

I am not surprised, I know two people that will consider early retirement rather than go back. I would say they are 40% scared, but 60% loving have months off enjoying the Sun in the garden and now don't want it to end.

Wed May 27, 2020 2:25 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

the problem is where they set the bar...there are people on 2.5k a month and others on min wage losing 20% of very little..it should have been everyone gets min wage...or min wage minus 10% so that everyone has it a little harder.. as it stands they will run out of money ?

Wed May 27, 2020 2:51 pm

Furlough scheme now covers 8.4 million workers

Some 8.4 million workers are now covered by the UK government's furlough scheme, up from eight million a week earlier, the Treasury has said.

Claims for subsidies filed by employers rose to £15bn from £11.1bn, it added.

The scheme, brought in to mitigate the effects of coronavirus, allows employees to receive 80% of their monthly salary up to £2,500.

A similar scheme for self-employed workers saw 2.3 million claims made worth £6.8bn.

Wed May 27, 2020 3:09 pm

skidemin wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

the problem is where they set the bar...there are people on 2.5k a month and others on min wage losing 20% of very little..it should have been everyone gets min wage...or min wage minus 10% so that everyone has it a little harder.. as it stands they will run out of money ?

You'll see two things happen people going back and companies making redundancies
When the gvmnt starts reducing or removing the money! The furlough as given employers breathing space to reorganize their staff without losing money, also lots of small entities will closs as the gvmnt Grant's end and lack of customers will see to that. Bad times ahead

Wed May 27, 2020 3:47 pm

Pub jobs at risk unless social distancing restrictions reduced

Two thirds of pub jobs could be lost unless social distancing restrictions are reduced to one metre, the industry is warning.

Under two metre social distancing rules, pubs will have less space to operate with so will need less staff.

Ministers were also urged to maintain the furlough scheme at the current rate of paying 80 per cent of wages until October after the Government signalled it will ask companies to start sharing the cost from August.

That would allowing the sector, which is two months behind reopening compared to the rest of the economy, to fully get back up and running, trade bodies have said.

They warned that thousands of jobs could be lost unless pubs can safely re-open and be operationally and commercially viable businesses by July.

Emma McClarkin, chief executive of the The British Beer & Pub Association , said the furlough scheme had been a lifeline to pubs and pub jobs.

"However, unless social distancing restrictions are reduced to the WHO's (World Health Organisation) suggested one metre, two thirds of pub jobs could be lost."

Wed May 27, 2020 6:11 pm

During his appearance at the Liaison Committee earlier, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: "I don't think there is any country that has done anything like the furlough scheme."

He also said, "the furlough scheme is more generous than any other scheme around the world."

The UK scheme currently pays 80% of a furloughed worker's salary and will run until October.

However, in the Netherlands, workers are entitled to as much as 90% of their previous earnings for three months. Meanwhile, in Italy, workers are eligible for 80% of their pay, the same as in the UK.

In Germany, workers with children can currently receive 67% of their salary from the government and are paid as much as €6,700 (£6,000) per month.

In France, furloughed workers are entitled to 70% of their salary, while minimum wage workers receive 100%.

Many countries in Europe have programmes similar to the UK's Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.

While most of them pay a smaller portion of the worker's salary, many of them are able to pay out more than the UK's maximum of £2,500 a month.

Fri May 29, 2020 11:53 am

Markets, sports sites and house sales part of next review

Other than the changes announced to the lockdown rules that will be introduced from Monday, current guidelines to protect people from coronavirus will stay in place for the time being.

But Mark Drakeford said the Welsh Government would consider further easing at the next review on 18 June.

Reopening non-essential retail
Increasing capacity for childcare and public transport to support a wider return to work
Facilitating moving house to boost the housing market
Reopening outdoors sites, including outdoor markets, sports courts, outdoor showrooms, and outdoor museums
Reopening facilities for non-professional elite athletes to train safely

Fri May 29, 2020 1:40 pm

This has become a problem in California. I was watching the local news last night and a local business owner was saying that 70% of his employees have not returned to work citing unsafe working conditions. But would you go back if you were receiving more than your wages in unemployment every week?

Fri May 29, 2020 4:15 pm

Chancellor confirms job furlough scheme to close in October

Chancellor Rishi Sunak has outlined details of the extension to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.

The scheme currently allows businesses to keep salaried staff contractually employed, but not working, while the government pays 80% of their incomes. The plan was put into place in March to keep workers at home and stave off a raft of redundancies as the economy ground to a halt.

Sunak has said furloughed staff will be able to work part-time in their old roles from July. Individual firms will decide the hours their employees will work on their return.

As indicated earlier this month, the subsidy will taper off from August, with businesses expected to pay a greater share of their staff salaries, starting with covering National Insurance and pension contributions.

From September the government will cover only 70% of salaries, to a cap of £2,190 and from October it will pay 60%, to a cap of £1,875. Employers will make up the shortfall to get salaries back to 80% of pre-Covid lockdown levels.

Sun May 31, 2020 7:22 pm

Ministers are in an economic hole so deep they can’t get out

By autumn, millions of workers will discover they no longer have a job – they just don’t know it yet, says our columnist, Jeremy Warner:

Any clinically impartial cost/ benefit analysis of the Government’s lockdown response to Covid-19 would have concluded a long time ago that it has been a catastrophic waste of money.

This is obviously not a point of view that would be shared by anyone directly affected by the disease, or indeed the population at large if the polls are to be believed; though some academics have ridiculously tried to, it is not possible to put any kind of a monetary value on a life, which is by definition priceless.

Yet as is ever more apparent, our response to the outbreak has been, and even as restrictions are eased, continues to be, at crippling economic cost.

Sun May 31, 2020 7:28 pm

Lets hope the employers get tough on those refusing to go back because they so called scared ect.... I know of people using the virus as excuse not to work but once furlough ends workers are open to being sacked if do not return to work if requested!

Sun May 31, 2020 9:14 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Lets hope the employers get tough on those refusing to go back because they so called scared ect.... I know of people using the virus as excuse not to work but once furlough ends workers are open to being sacked if do not return to work if requested!

Spot On .

Sun May 31, 2020 9:55 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Lets hope the employers get tough on those refusing to go back because they so called scared ect.... I know of people using the virus as excuse not to work but once furlough ends workers are open to being sacked if do not return to work if requested!

Spot On .

Tony
Not sure where the hysteria comes from with this virus several hundred thousand dead world wide out of billions of people ! Asian flu 20m dead no worldwide restrictions? As this pandemic been hijacked by so called experts and scientists? Seems a lot of postering to be heard.... have you noticed no word of vaccine for couple weeks now but lots money given to university's and companies to find one! People have been conditioned to stay home and even now we are being told it's to soon ect to let people out even a small bit! Are they waiting for no deaths before saying it's ok to venture out?

Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:47 pm

Quarter of workers furloughed as Sunak mulls national insurance cut

A total of 8.7m workers across 1.1m firms are using the job retention scheme according to HMRC - at a cost to taxpayers of £17.5bn and counting.

The figures are likely to alarm Treasury officials seeking to bring the country out of deep freeze and kick-start hiring.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak is mulling a national insurance holiday for employers as part of a raft of emergency measures set to be announced next month, a proposal which experts say could save almost 900,000 jobs by slashing businesses’ costs at a crucial moment.

It would force the Government to take a further financial hit up front. The tax was forecast to raise more than £80bn for the Treasury this financial year.

But the Taxpayers' Alliance estimates cutting the tax could save or create between 595,000 and 892,000 jobs, based on a study of Sweden's decision in 2007 to reduce its payroll tax for young workers.

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:32 pm

PM: There will be many job losses

The Sun's Tom Newton-Dunn also asks what help those who have lost their job - because of the virus - will get.

"There will be many many job losses," replies the prime ministers. "That is inevitable."

He says there are few countries who have done "as much in terms of putting our arms around workers" and promises investment in the economy and infrastructure.

"For young people it is going to be vital that we guarantee apprenticeships," he adds.

Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:55 pm

Only 40 per cent of adults in employment left home to go to work in last week

Only 40 per cent of adults in employment left the house to go to work in the last week, an ONS study has revealed.

Guidelines are being drawn up to ensure workplaces are "Covid-19 secure", and those who cannot do their job at home are being encouraged to go back to work.

However, as lockdown restrictions gradually ease, only four per cent more people (40 per cent) are returning to their jobs compared with the previous week (36 per cent), the data shows.

At the same time, confidence of parents in sending their children back to school this month remains low.

Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:55 pm

Only 40 per cent of adults in employment left home to go to work in last week

Only 40 per cent of adults in employment left the house to go to work in the last week, an ONS study has revealed.

Guidelines are being drawn up to ensure workplaces are "Covid-19 secure", and those who cannot do their job at home are being encouraged to go back to work.

However, as lockdown restrictions gradually ease, only four per cent more people (40 per cent) are returning to their jobs compared with the previous week (36 per cent), the data shows.

At the same time, confidence of parents in sending their children back to school this month remains low.

Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:49 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Only 40 per cent of adults in employment left home to go to work in last week

Never mind going to work if you take a good look at what social distancing is going to do to businesses and individuals there will be 40% who wont have a job by xmas ! It's ok saying people will adapt yes as individuals but a business cannot run on minimum customers... the list is endless of businesses that will not re open or will close in matter of weeks of lockdown being eased

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:24 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:Only 40 per cent of adults in employment left home to go to work in last week

Never mind going to work if you take a good look at what social distancing is going to do to businesses and individuals there will be 40% who wont have a job by xmas ! It's ok saying people will adapt yes as individuals but a business cannot run on minimum customers... the list is endless of businesses that will not re open or will close in matter of weeks of lockdown being eased

Spot On - I Agree with you Allan .

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:28 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Spot On - I Agree with you Allan .

Tony I just can't fathom out why gvmnt thinks that having 2mtr distancing is going to work when furlough ends? We are talking 6months or more , reading what is going to happen you got business employing more staff to deal with distancing than people serving customers! So costs are higher than income that's not sustainable and its same for every business in service sector..... glad dont live in Cardiff go t makings of it being a shambles after furlough ends ..

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:35 pm

Your right Allan - i posted this week what the distance in some european countries are from 1m - 1.5 etc..
This is here for a while and some if not most places are going to see less trade or bigger ques.
Following the Science on this one - But seem to do as they please on other matters !!

Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:08 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Your right Allan - i posted this week what the distance in some european countries are from 1m - 1.5 etc..
This is here for a while and some if not most places are going to see less trade or bigger ques.
Following the Science on this one - But seem to do as they please on other matters !!

The stupid thing is social distancing is not illegal so cannot be enforced hence problem with recent events.... so why is it being enforced in business and transport at deprement of jobs ? Saw a bus yesterday with social distancing measures think was capacity for about 12 people! How on earth does that work in Cardiff despite all the crap about using cars walking and cycling that is not a practical option for most...best thing they come up with is pre book travel! So if need be in work by 9 just need to pray less than 12 on bus before your stop.... like said got makings of being shambles

Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:16 pm

Almost nine million covered by UK government furlough scheme

Figures released by the UK Treasury show 8.9 million workers are having 80% of their monthly salary (up to a maximum of £2,500) covered by the government's furlough scheme, at a cost of £19.6bn.

The programme was introduced at the start of the coronavirus lockdown in a bid to avoid the loss of millions of jobs because firms couldn't trade. It was originally intended to last until the end of July, but has been extended until the end of October.

In addition, a scheme aimed at helping self-employed workers has had 2.6 million claims, worth £7.5bn.

Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:22 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Yes the redundancies have really started now, three of my mates all working in different types of work are going through redundancy consultations, companies have used the time to restructure, and I think will make staff redundant and then take new staff on to fill the gaps if they need them in the future.

The furlough scheme is brilliant in one way but has caused some staff to get lazy and reluctant to return to work, I suggest they do before the employers realise they can manage without them!