Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: “ THE VIRUS DROPS FOR 2 OF THE WORST HIT COUNTRIES “

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:17 am

dogfound wrote:

yes...what seems to be passing everyone by is the fact that corona virus itself is being prioritised over pretty much all other illnesses and procedures... our hospitals are empty of people that should be in hospital in preparation for the epidemic.. and people are 100% going to die because what illness they have is being trumped...
as an example of volume there are 165,000 cancer deaths every year in the UK, that's 450 a day..yet 50% of those diagnosed with cancer survive through treatment so an equal number who would once have died no longer do....god only knows how many possible diagnosis, treatments, procedures will be missed/not happen...
keeping this virus manageable and keeping things like above in place is one hell of a balancing act..

I don’t think it’s passing anyone by, it’s a horrible situation. But a necessary one.

Cancer, although horrible is a personal disease. You cannot spread it and it is confined to your own body. The health system can cope and in many cases treat everyone who is forecast to get it without huge strain on the system.

Coronavirus is such that it can cripple the health system overnight. It simply must take priority. You say cancer kills 450 people a day in the UK. Coronavirus is killing twice that per day in other countries and growing fast. Coronavirus is not something you can put on the backburner to treat someone else because it is so contagious.

In Australia for example there are 2000 ICU’s. They expect 80% of the population to get it, which is something like 17 million people. Doctors say 10% of which will require ICU treatment.

That’s 1.7m people scrambling for 2000 beds. It’s a catastrophe waiting to happen, which is why everyone is trying to slow the spread to give time to build more and get a bed turnover rate as opposed to mass admitting of patients.

But pretty much everyone in the world is expected to get this virus, I’m not sure people realise this. The governments are just trying to control when we get it in order not to cripple the system.

Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:13 am

Xenonbluebird wrote:Some positive news here with regards to ventilators: https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2020-03- ... -patients/

Worth a read.

Well done to all concerned. Earlier support for the lungs is surely a huge step forward. If as they hope it then keeps a good number not needing a full ventilator then that's a great development. Simple and quick to build, so well done to the Welsh government for getting straight on with it. It would be great to follow how this develops.

Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:04 pm

dogfound wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Italy for the 4th day in a row deaths and catching the virus have dropped :thumbright:
But it’s still horrendous :cry:

Spain is also actually falling :thumbright: But again it is horrendous :cry:

BUT THIS HAS ONLY COME DOWN BY TOTAL LOCKDOWNS & ZERO TOLERANCE BY THE AUTHORITIES :thumbright: :thumbright:
Not continually playing happy families and friends going for walks and having their ice creams :evil: Sadly some of you will regret this big time . :cry:

I was chatting to a Nurse, she is very calm normally but pretty worried about the next three weeks, they have been deep in discussion on ethics, and who will be given the ventilator!

Mate I’m not sure a nurse should have made that info public in a discussion with you.

Not trying to be an arse mate just thinking if I was 35 with health problems - which I’m not - it would be upsetting to hear this info...,particularly if they’ve been following all government safety advice.

isn't this what doctors/ paramedics have always done in these circumstances

That's what they are taught to do, it very rarely happens though, this is one of those once in a lifetime emergency situations.

Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:10 pm

skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
dogfound wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
dogfound wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Italy for the 4th day in a row deaths and catching the virus have dropped :thumbright:
But it’s still horrendous :cry:

Spain is also actually falling :thumbright: But again it is horrendous :cry:

BUT THIS HAS ONLY COME DOWN BY TOTAL LOCKDOWNS & ZERO TOLERANCE BY THE AUTHORITIES :thumbright: :thumbright:
Not continually playing happy families and friends going for walks and having their ice creams :evil: Sadly some of you will regret this big time . :cry:

I was chatting to a Nurse, she is very calm normally but pretty worried about the next three weeks, they have been deep in discussion on ethics, and who will be given the ventilator!

Mate I’m not sure a nurse should have made that info public in a discussion with you.

Not trying to be an arse mate just thinking if I was 35 with health problems - which I’m not - it would be upsetting to hear this info...,particularly if they’ve been following all government safety advice.

isn't this what doctors/ paramedics have always done in these circumstances

They certainly do and I’m positive that some difficult decisions may well be made during this awful time.
I was just making the point that the talk of nurses discussing the potential decisions to be made (saving a fit 50 year old as opposed to a 35 year old with medical problems) shouldn’t be discussed / mentioned on this forum as it could be potentially upsetting or worrying to its users.
My opinion, that’s all

yes...what seems to be passing everyone by is the fact that corona virus itself is being prioritised over pretty much all other illnesses and procedures... our hospitals are empty of people that should be in hospital in preparation for the epidemic.. and people are 100% going to die because what illness they have is being trumped...
as an example of volume there are 165,000 cancer deaths every year in the UK, that's 450 a day..yet 50% of those diagnosed with cancer survive through treatment so an equal number who would once have died no longer do....god only knows how many possible diagnosis, treatments, procedures will be missed/not happen...
keeping this virus manageable and keeping things like above in place is one hell of a balancing act..

It certainly is.
Very sobering thoughts there.

yes, and its not even the biggest killer, heart disease is..

This virus attacks the internal organs, so people with underlying health conditions at most at risk, we need to keep these people isolated until a vaccine is available.

Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:17 pm

Xenonbluebird wrote:Some positive news here with regards to ventilators: https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2020-03- ... -patients/

Worth a read.

Great news plus thousands of ventilators being made by companies like Gtec and Dyson in April :thumbup:

Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:21 pm

Unprecedented times at present and the more our country rallies round to offer support, tech, etc the greater the chances of increased protection and recovery.
Companies willing and able to produce essential equipment in rapid time sets a superb example