Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Cardiff City’s Robert Glatzel '

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:06 am

What does the future hold for Cardiff City’s Robert Glatzel?

By Luke Phelps

26th March 2020

Cardiff signed Robert Glatzel from Heidenheim last summer.

The striker was the marquee signing of Cardiff’s summer and boasted everything that Neil Warnock wanted in a striker – he’s a presence, tall and good in the air, and he’d been prolific for the Bundesliga 2.

Although he’s shown the occasional glimpse of the £5 million that Cardiff paid for him, he’s ultimately failed to deliver. The German has scored just four goals in 22 Championship appearances this season and since Neil Harris’ appointment, he’s slowly slipped down the pecking order.

The more dynamic Callum Paterson has been preferred – he’s scored five this season but all of them have come in Cardiff’s last 11 games. He himself was low down in the roster at Cardiff but like a number of others – Lee Tomlin being the standout – Harris has brought him back into the fold.

Cardiff look much better now than they did at the start of the campaign. They were lacklustre and Warnock looked as though his heart wasn’t entirely in it, and that filtered onto the pitch.

Though Harris has come under scrutiny in his Cardiff tenure, he’s guided Cardiff to 9th in the table – only two points off the top-six. The turnaround has been quite remarkable and he’s done so with a relatively average group of players, and with little-to-no money to spend in the January transfer window.

For Glatzel then, the future is unclear. Fans like him for his work-rate, and he does have the quality in there, but we’ve simply not seen it enough. Glatzel isn’t really a Harris kind of striker either. Warnock loves a target man but Harris like a striker who’s a bit more like he was, who runs in behind defences and presses defenders.

Being the marquee signing that he was, it’s unlikely Cardiff will sell after one season. He’s 26-years-old and still has some of best days ahead of him but right now, he has an uphill task on his hands in trying to break back into the starting line-up.

Whilst it’s hard to see him moving on in the summer, if he doesn’t prevail next time round then it’s likely he’ll be off then.

Re: ' Cardiff City’s Robert Glatzel '

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:30 am

Forever Blue wrote:What does the future hold for Cardiff City’s Robert Glatzel?

By Luke Phelps

26th March 2020

Cardiff signed Robert Glatzel from Heidenheim last summer.

The striker was the marquee signing of Cardiff’s summer and boasted everything that Neil Warnock wanted in a striker – he’s a presence, tall and good in the air, and he’d been prolific for the Bundesliga 2.

Although he’s shown the occasional glimpse of the £5 million that Cardiff paid for him, he’s ultimately failed to deliver. The German has scored just four goals in 22 Championship appearances this season and since Neil Harris’ appointment, he’s slowly slipped down the pecking order.

The more dynamic Callum Paterson has been preferred – he’s scored five this season but all of them have come in Cardiff’s last 11 games. He himself was low down in the roster at Cardiff but like a number of others – Lee Tomlin being the standout – Harris has brought him back into the fold.

Cardiff look much better now than they did at the start of the campaign. They were lacklustre and Warnock looked as though his heart wasn’t entirely in it, and that filtered onto the pitch.

Though Harris has come under scrutiny in his Cardiff tenure, he’s guided Cardiff to 9th in the table – only two points off the top-six. The turnaround has been quite remarkable and he’s done so with a relatively average group of players, and with little-to-no money to spend in the January transfer window.

For Glatzel then, the future is unclear. Fans like him for his work-rate, and he does have the quality in there, but we’ve simply not seen it enough. Glatzel isn’t really a Harris kind of striker either. Warnock loves a target man but Harris like a striker who’s a bit more like he was, who runs in behind defences and presses defenders.

Being the marquee signing that he was, it’s unlikely Cardiff will sell after one season. He’s 26-years-old and still has some of best days ahead of him but right now, he has an uphill task on his hands in trying to break back into the starting line-up.

Whilst it’s hard to see him moving on in the summer, if he doesn’t prevail next time round then it’s likely he’ll be off then.

I stopped reading after ‘good in the air’.

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:30 pm

These journo's are getting desperate without football to write about. Tell us something we don't know.

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:42 pm

I stopped reading as soon as i saw " Though Harris has come under scrutiny "

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:09 pm

Jasonccfc wrote:I stopped reading as soon as i saw " Though Harris has come under scrutiny "

:laughing6:

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Jasonccfc wrote:I stopped reading as soon as i saw " Though Harris has come under scrutiny "

I dont believe Harris has been under scrutiny. The majority i speak to at the stadium and out and about seem to think he's an improvement on Warnock so far ..

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 pm

Jasonccfc wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I dont believe Harris has been under scrutiny. The majority i speak to at the stadium and out and about seem to think he's an improvement on Warnock so far ..

I don't either mate, that's why I put the laughing emoji
Deffo the quality of football has improved. Not perfect by any means, but an improvement.