Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 13/12/21

Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:51 am

C. Rombie-Coat wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
C. Rombie-Coat wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
C. Rombie-Coat wrote:This guy seems to have the facts on hospitals/covid in Wales. Formerly in a senior role at ONS. and guess what?

https://twitter.com/statsjamie

There is a lot of scaremongering but most scientists/medics agree that current rate of increase in new variance infections is a doubling every 2 days.

Pretty easy to do the maths for everyone on that.

Since when is an expert statistician's analysis scaremongering?

In fact he's not scaremongering, quite the contrary. It's the Government and associated parties that are ramping up the fear.

To which scientists/medics are you referring ?

Sorry point not specifically directed at you, tend to agree with your point.

Although on the scientist/medics question the current modelling is pretty much consistent. Not a big problem on it's own as long as people get the booster in time.

The modelling by Ferguson/Imperial College etc has been exaggerated and proven to be incorrect and inaccurate throughout this shitshow.
it's used to frighten the public and cover for Govt actions.

As for the 'booster' it's effectively the same stuff they've been using to date. We know this doesn't halt infection or onward transmission. So what's going to change?

Again, your point about the booster is not correct according to the scientific studies so far.

Protection after two vaccinations against this variant is around 40% depending on who you listen to, after the booster it’s 75%+.

Or are you saying scientists are fiddling those figures too !!??

Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:59 am

piledriver64 wrote:
C. Rombie-Coat wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
C. Rombie-Coat wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
C. Rombie-Coat wrote:This guy seems to have the facts on hospitals/covid in Wales. Formerly in a senior role at ONS. and guess what?

There is a lot of scaremongering but most scientists/medics agree that current rate of increase in new variance infections is a doubling every 2 days.

In fact he's not scaremongering, quite the contrary. It's the Government and associated parties that are ramping up the fear.

Although on the scientist/medics question the current modelling is pretty much consistent. Not a big problem on it's own as long as people get the booster in time.

The modelling by Ferguson/Imperial College etc has been exaggerated and proven to be incorrect and inaccurate throughout this shitshow.

As for the 'booster' it's effectively the same stuff they've been using to date. We know this doesn't halt infection or onward transmission. So what's going to change?

Again, your point about the booster is not correct according to the scientific studies so far.

Protection after two vaccinations against this variant is around 40% depending on who you listen to, after the booster it’s 75%+.

True it's not perfect but will definitely slow things down, and they are working on a Omicron specific vaccine which will be ready by March.

You watch who complain the most if we have to lockdown or impose stricter measures the Antivaxxers, who are trying to stop people having vaccines and boosters, which means we are much more likely to have lockdowns and stricter measures, try and work that one out if you can?

Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:07 am

Bluebina wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
C. Rombie-Coat wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
C. Rombie-Coat wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

True it's not perfect but will definitely slow things down, and they are working on a Omicron specific vaccine which will be ready by March.

You watch who complain the most if we have to lockdown or impose stricter measures the Antivaxxers, who are trying to stop people having vaccines and boosters, which means we are much more likely to have lockdowns and stricter measures, try and work that one out if you can?

To clarify, I'm not referring to people who are vaccine hesitant and not sure as anti-vaxxers, just the ones that are actively trying to persuade other people not to have them :thumbup:

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 15/12/21

Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:58 am

MPs back Covid passes in England despite huge Tory rebellion -

Boris Johnson has won backing for Covid passes in England, despite the biggest revolt by Tory MPs since he became PM.

A total of 99 Conservatives voted against the government, but the measure was passed by a majority of 243 thanks to Labour support.

So NHS Covid passes, showing a recent negative test or full vaccination, must be shown to get into many large venues, including nightclubs, from Wednesday.

MPs also voted to back compulsory face masks in most indoor settings.

Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:32 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:MPs back Covid passes in England despite huge Tory rebellion -

Boris Johnson has won backing for Covid passes in England, despite the biggest revolt by Tory MPs since he became PM.

A total of 99 Conservatives voted against the government, but the measure was passed by a majority of 243 thanks to Labour support.

So NHS Covid passes, showing a recent negative test or full vaccination, must be shown to get into many large venues, including nightclubs, from Wednesday.

MPs also voted to back compulsory face masks in most indoor settings.

We're all kidding ourselves if we think Covid passes will remain limited to nightclubs and large venues as a condition of entry.

Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:34 am

I'm not here to argue per se, it won't achieve anything or make me feel any better, especially as I do f*k all about it

Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:45 am

Lateral flow tests 'at home', a system flawed by design. Only you're vax passport will do

Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:04 am

But I will offery a congratulation to the moaners, scaremongers and downright miserable f*ks that supported this government every step of the way whether it be plan a or b. Take a bow :notworthy: :notworthy: L

Omicron moronic morons

Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:13 pm

Mods, feel free to delete my last post. I dont want to get involved. Everyone got the right to do/follow as they please

Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:00 pm

Bluebina wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
C. Rombie-Coat wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
C. Rombie-Coat wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

I cannot have these jabs,but I havent seen anyone trying to stop people getting any of theirs??

You seem to love labeling anyone who has used their right, to refuse these jabs as anti vaxxers?? I know a few who haven't had theirs, but are certainly not anti vaccine, just they dont feel that this new experimental one is for them! Their choice.
Another concern is the "voluntary" jab army, seem to be causing concerns around no aspiration taken place of the jab(a must!) Thus allowing the jab to enter the bloodstream, rather than staying put in the muscle(intramuscular) as intended.
There are some new vaccines that have just been approved for use, that use the traditional method of vaccines that have been used for decades, these are from Cuba, and include a nasal version.
I am currently waiting for my gp to do research on these, as they could be suitable for use by myself.
And could persuade others who were concerned about the new type currently being used.

But to say the anti vaxxers will be the ones to moan is not fair, as I know most people around my ways will also moan, and some a lot more than the un vaccinated, about lockdown/restrictions etc! The complaints I hear are along the lines of" we've had all our jabs, yet still face restictions and possibly more lockdowns"

Next it will be the unvaccinated peoples fault for the restrictions being introduced, when it's clear that isnt the case, wont stop the finger pointers though!

Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:32 pm

Anyone who does not want a jab to protect themselves or others is there choice but if you get ill from the virus stay at home in bed with a hot water bottle and see it out
at least then you will not be blocking a hospital bed for someone who needs it like my mother in her 90s and even though jabbed could still pick it up from more likely people who are not jabbed at all.

Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:01 pm

montyblue wrote:Anyone who does not want a jab to protect themselves or others is there choice but if you get ill from the virus stay at home in bed with a hot water bottle and see it out
at least then you will not be blocking a hospital bed for someone who needs it like my mother in her 90s and even though jabbed could still pick it up from more likely people who are not jabbed at all.

That's fair enough.

As long as it is applied consistently.

So same course of treatment of a hot water bottle and a see it out for anyone who has an alcohol-related illness, smoking-related cancer, obesity-related illness, drug overdoses, speeding-related car accidents, fitness induced heart-attacks and anything else that can be boiled down to someone making a choice that could result in them ending up requiring healthcare and being a strain on the NHS.

Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:24 pm

montyblue wrote:Anyone who does not want a jab to protect themselves or others is there choice but if you get ill from the virus stay at home in bed with a hot water bottle and see it out

Oh dear Monty, if only you could hear yourself. I hope your Mother goes on to get a telegram from the Queen, but if she is at risk I suggest she sees as few people as possible, jabbed or unjabbed.

My Mum is approaching 88 with quite a few health issues. HER decision was to not let fearmongering spoil her last few years. All are welcome in her house, but as I see her rarely (different countries) I always take a LFT before I stay for a couple of nights. :bluebird:

Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:31 pm

EALING AYATOLLAH

Big difference thought you don' t pass on alcoholism or the othere's you listed but you do pass on covid.

Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:06 pm

montyblue wrote:EALING AYATOLLAH

Big difference thought you don' t pass on alcoholism or the othere's you listed but you do pass on covid.

Totally agree with you on this. People being admitted because they didn’t want or forgot to get the vaccine now in hospital asking for help!

They all say the same thing when they are in there “can I have the vaccine now” selfish hypocrites. No respect for the Dr’s and Nurses having to treat them.

Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:15 pm

Well said mate,Imagine that, giving someone alcoholism :lol: :lol: or better still a vaccine for it. :lol: :lol:

Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:21 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:

Well said mate,Imagine that, giving someone alcoholism :lol: :lol: or better still a vaccine for it. :lol: :lol:

Spot on, this isn't necessarily about how COVID can affect you it's about the possible impact on others, whether that be additional strain on NHS or significant illness to somebody more vulnerable to the disease.

Similarly, the economic effect of having so many of the workforce ill at any one time is absolutely huge. For instance, if all the teachers get it, even more people will be off work looking after kids !! It goes on.

Right now, like it or not, the vaccine/booster is the only answer we have other than another full lock down and I know which option is most palatable to me !!!!!

Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:42 am

A) What does it matter if someone can pass it on if they are blocking the bed for your 90 year old mother.

They're blocking the bed either way arent they which I assumed was your point you were making (otherwise why make the point about your mam not being able to get a bed taken by someone unvaccinated?)

B) whether vaccinated or unvaccinated the data is clear that you can still transmit the virus - so the argument is moot anyway.

If you go back a few pages i put a comment on this with a lot of links to unbiased data that shows this to be the case.

I get it everyone is scared/tired/frustrated but look beyond the headlines and look at the data all the standard talking points like unvaccinated are spreading the virus are becoming unravelled and we need to stop basing policies on emotive talking points like this and instead look at the data.

Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:08 am

bluesince62 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
C. Rombie-Coat wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
C. Rombie-Coat wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

I cannot have these jabs,but I havent seen anyone trying to stop people getting any of theirs??

You seem to love labeling anyone who has used their right, to refuse these jabs as anti vaxxers?? I know a few who haven't had theirs, but are certainly not anti vaccine, just they dont feel that this new experimental one is for them! Their choice.
Another concern is the "voluntary" jab army, seem to be causing concerns around no aspiration taken place of the jab(a must!) Thus allowing the jab to enter the bloodstream, rather than staying put in the muscle(intramuscular) as intended.
There are some new vaccines that have just been approved for use, that use the traditional method of vaccines that have been used for decades, these are from Cuba, and include a nasal version.
I am currently waiting for my gp to do research on these, as they could be suitable for use by myself.
And could persuade others who were concerned about the new type currently being used.

But to say the anti vaxxers will be the ones to moan is not fair, as I know most people around my ways will also moan, and some a lot more than the un vaccinated, about lockdown/restrictions etc! The complaints I hear are along the lines of" we've had all our jabs, yet still face restictions and possibly more lockdowns"

Next it will be the unvaccinated peoples fault for the restrictions being introduced, when it's clear that isnt the case, wont stop the finger pointers though!

Did you look at the post immediately after that one, It's below?

To clarify, I'm not referring to people who are vaccine hesitant and not sure as anti-vaxxers, just the ones that are actively trying to persuade other people not to have them :thumbup:

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 17/12/21

Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:22 am

Covid: Cases hit new record as booster drive continues -

A record number of daily coronavirus cases have been reported across the UK for the second day running, with 88,376 infections confirmed on Thursday.

England's chief medical officer, Prof Chris Whitty, said the Omicron variant could rise "incredibly fast", but its peak subside quickly due to boosters.

There was also a record for top-up vaccines with 745,183 third or booster doses being given on Wednesday.

Boris Johnson has urged people to use "caution" in the face of the variant.

But the prime minister insisted England was not being put into lockdown by stealth, after some of his own MPs had accused the government of putting hospitality under an "effective lockdown".

Meanwhile, the Queen has cancelled her traditional pre-Christmas lunch as a precautionary measure amid the surge of the Omicron variant.

And Wales has introduced a two-stage plan in response to coronavirus with guidance - such as taking a lateral flow test ahead of socialising - for the Christmas period before legal restrictions come into force on 27 December.

These will include all nightclubs closing, 2m social distancing in offices and other measures to protect customers and staff.

Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:43 am

Bluebina wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
C. Rombie-Coat wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
C. Rombie-Coat wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

Thats fair enough! But that HAS to work on both sides of the fence? What about those trying to bully, coerce, and even suggest "punishnent" to those who after all have made THEIR choice, as have those who have been vaccinated??

As for myself, ive yet to see one post that considers the predicament of thise of us who for varying reasons, cant have the jab, it seems we are always cast in with anti vax groups, and it gets annoying after a while! I didnt see your pist as was in bed kipping not long after.
I have led my life with restrictions/limitations,and find these ones that we have gone through more of a pain if im honest!
Anyone that "actively" tries to make someone have or not have the vaccine is whats wrong in truth,people do the same at abortion clinics etc,trying to force women to change a decision that must have been very difficult decision for the woman in question, as its them who have to live with it, nobody else!
Ive lived by the motto,of live and let live,im no different over this, its not my choice its theirs.

Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:18 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
C. Rombie-Coat wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
C. Rombie-Coat wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

Thats fair enough! But that HAS to work on both sides of the fence? What about those trying to bully, coerce, and even suggest "punishnent" to those who after all have made THEIR choice, as have those who have been vaccinated??

As for myself, ive yet to see one post that considers the predicament of thise of us who for varying reasons, cant have the jab, it seems we are always cast in with anti vax groups, and it gets annoying after a while! I didnt see your pist as was in bed kipping not long after.
I have led my life with restrictions/limitations,and find these ones that we have gone through more of a pain if im honest!
Anyone that "actively" tries to make someone have or not have the vaccine is whats wrong in truth,people do the same at abortion clinics etc,trying to force women to change a decision that must have been very difficult decision for the woman in question, as its them who have to live with it, nobody else!
Ive lived by the motto,of live and let live,im no different over this, its not my choice its theirs.

I couldn't help myself but point out you've used an abortion analogy, with your motto live and let live. I'd go with c'est la vie

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 18/12/21

Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:18 am

Premier League and government urge footballers to get Covid-19 vaccine -

The Premier League and UK government have urged footballers to get vaccinated against Covid-19.

Half this weekend's top-flight games have been postponed because of outbreaks of the virus at clubs.

In the English Football League - where 25% of players say they do not intend to get the jab - 19 fixtures due to be played on Saturday have been postponed.

"Getting the jab is the socially responsible thing to do," Sports Minister Nigel Huddleston said.

"The most important thing anyone - including footballers - can do to protect themselves, co-workers and loved ones is to get vaccinated and get a booster.

"I know the football authorities are also working with players to understand why some are vaccine hesitant."

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp believes getting a vaccination should be mandatory "from a moral point of view" and revealed "99%" of his squad have had both jabs.

"It's a question of persuading," he said. "If I do something that helps the people around me then for me that's mandatory - but obviously some people see that differently.

"I'm 54 years old and I am really a big believer that you can convince people about the right things to do but I'm not sure in this specific case."

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 19/12/21

Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:12 am

Covid: Wales likely to see a 'tsunami' of Omicron cases -

Wales' current plans to tackle the Omicron variant of Covid may not be enough, according to a leading government adviser.

Public Health Wales' Dr Giri Shankar said further restrictions could be needed.

He added Wales was "likely to see a tsunami of cases" in the coming weeks.

People have been asked to follow guidance around socialising over Christmas before nightclubs are set close from 27 December.

But the first minister has already said further changes around sporting events and other restrictions could be introduced.

Boris Johnson has said a meeting of the UK government's emergency committee Cobra will be held over the weekend with the Welsh government and representatives from Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:51 pm

Year on year comparison. The figures shown are the weekly average per day for the last week.

Average Weekly New Hospitalisations:

• last year: 1980
  • This year: 865
  • Variance: -1115 (down by 56%)

Average Weekly Patients with COVID in Hospital:

• last year: 16,354
  • This year: 7549
  • Variance: -8805 (down by 54%)

source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

Deaths within 28 days of positive COVID death

• last year: 435
  • This year: 108
  • Variance: -327 (down by 75%)

Deaths within COVID listed as one item on death certificate

• last year: 472
  • This year: 129
  • Variance: -343 (down by 73%)

source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

Whether it be due to the vaccine, the virus mutating to be more benign, or anything else, we are in a much better position than last year. Make of the data what you will. No bias or opinion from me on that. Just numbers.

One last thing I will add is this quote from the South African chairperson of the South African Medical Association and the Doctor who discovered Omicron.

"My message to Boris and his ministers is this: stay calm. Take it day by day and do not panic people, because that will only end in chaos. You are already seeing problems with the NHS vaccination booking system following the Prime Minister's address to the nation of an accelerated booster plan on Sunday.

"In the fight against Covid, as in life generally, it's important to pick your battles, and in over-reacting, to Omicron we are in danger of missing out on the benefits of a variant that could be a friend rather than a foe." (1)

Meanwhile, Boris and Co have diverted pretty much the entire NHS to the Booster program at a time of year when the NHS is usually running well above 90% capacity anyway regardless of COVID and then scare the shit out of people so much the website for booking booster appointments has crashed and people are queuing up for hours. (2)

sources:

1: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... cting.html (don't normally use the mail as a source but it is written by the doctor herself.)
2: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59635396

Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:18 pm

thanks for those comparisons and data ealing

Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:30 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:thanks for those comparisons and data ealing

Indeed, very interesting and thanks to Kris (ealing_ayatollah) :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:14 pm

Mozzer/Sven no problem lads. :thumbup:

All the headlines in the press are focused on cases that are at really high levels but if the trends seen in the data from South Africa hold true here this won't equate to more hospitalisations/deaths and so far the data is staying in line with SA as Omicron replaces Delta as the dominant variant.

We could actually be heading into the beginning of the end of it all (glass half full and all that)

:ayatollah:

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 21/12/21

Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:40 am

Omicron: Festive sport goes behind closed doors in Wales to combat Covid-19 -

Festive sport in Wales will be held behind closed doors as the Welsh government continues its fight against Covid-19's Omicron variant.

The restrictions affecting all levels of sport in Wales start on 26 December with an end date not officially set.

Cardiff v Scarlets in the United Rugby Championship (URC) on that day will be the first major fixture affected.

Welsh economy minister Vaughan Gething said a £3m fund will be in place to "support" clubs and venues.

In a statement the Welsh government said: "The latest figures showed a further steep rise in the number of confirmed cases of the fast-moving variant."

Gething said: "Sporting events over the Christmas period are one of the big highlights of the year. Unfortunately, the new omicron variant is a significant development in the pandemic and could cause a large number of infections.

"We need to do everything we can to protect people's health and control the spread of this awful virus.

"Throughout the pandemic we have followed scientific and public health advice to keep people safe. The advice is clear - we need to act now in response to the threat of omicron. We are giving people as much notice of these decisions as we can.

"Crowds will come back as soon as possible. We want everyone to be here to enjoy their favourite sports."

Horse racing's Welsh Grand National at Chepstow on 27 December will also be held without spectators.

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 21/12/21

Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:48 pm

Nine out of ten patients in ICU with covid are unvaccinated according to Professor Rupert Pearce, an intensive care physician in London.
IF THIS IS CORRECT, then the scale of future restrictions and the period they will be imposed will no longer just be in the hands of our politicians, but also in the hands of the 'needle dodgers'
It's my understanding that additional restrictions will be placed to protect the NHS becoming even more overwhelmed.