Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Terry Phillips makes a public apology “

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:31 pm

Terry Phillips has just made a public apology

Peter Whittingham: An Apology

18th March 2020

Peter Whittingham – An apology

Yesterday, I wrote a story on this website in tribute to the former Cardiff City player Peter Whittingham.

I had been told – from a very reliable source connected to Peter – that he had tragically passed away at the age of 35. It has since been confirmed to me that Peter is not dead, but continues to fight for his life in hospital. It is a battle I’m sure that every Cardiff City fan is praying he will win.

In recognition of my mistake I would like to extend my most sincere and deepest apology to Peter, his family, friends and all supporters of the clubs he represented.

It was an error on my part not to get this information verified by more sources closer to the Whittingham family – a mistake that I’m very aware is the most serious and grave error I’ve made in all my decades in journalism.

Peter Whittingham was a very special footballer and my instinct was to pay tribute to that talent, based on information that I’m now very happy to say was inaccurate.

I would like to wish Peter and his family all the very best for the future.

Terry Phillips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ Terry Phillips makes a public apology “

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:37 pm

A very humbling apology, well said Terry :thumbright:

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:40 pm

snoopystorm wrote:A very humbling apology, well said Terry :thumbright:

Agree - now let's hope and pray Whitts can recover from his injuries .

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:47 pm

Im sure he feels terrible, a very nice apology that.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:49 pm

Fair play. We all make mistakes.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:55 pm

I know Terry very well and he's a good bloke, he will feel awful about this.

A good apology.

But personally I would never put something like this out without there being something official or 100% cast iron. That's why I didn't post on that topic.

Let's all hope that Whitts pulls through.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:19 pm

All I would say is that this false story must have been very upsetting for Peter and his loved ones,a very regretful piece of false news

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Interesting
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:54 pm

All he can do is apologise and not make the same mistake again.
He deserves some credit for not trying to blame anyone else.
Let’s hope that Peter makes a full recovery.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:02 pm

wez1927 wrote:
tanky wrote:That is just not good enough, instant dismissal.

From his own website?

Terry does not deserve to be sacked and as Wez said can't be as he works for himself.

Plus Terry was told from a Senior person in our club.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:16 pm

Well done Terry as that must have been hard for him to do.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:36 pm

Well done terry for making the apology I think the problem was there was a lack of information about what had happened to our favourite player peter whittingham and if we had hard more information on peter current condition then I don’t think it would have been announced that he passed away I’m so glad Whitt’s is still with us let’s hope he know pulls through

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:11 pm

I and many others have said what we've said in regards to people on this forum and even outside of it for either claiming they're in the know about Peter Whittingham, or breaking information that isn't confirmed.

If people have posted anything along the lines of "I can confirm it's true" about the false news, I think there needs to be an apology from those people too. Posting that Terry Phillips has made an apology is all well and good, but that doesn't give you a pass for posting the same information as official and then saying "Terry got it wrong, he's apologized". How about you apologize too. Not calling anyone out but you know who you are. Those of you publicly replying to each other on this forum letting everyone know "I know this, I know that, I'll wait until it's confirmed officially before I reveal what I know" Is appalling. Even as far as breaking Terry's news as OFFICIAL.

You don't get away with claiming "Terry Phillips" posted it so it's as good as official. He's not official. I notice the initial thread here breaking the news has been removed, which is probably good for Peter and his family, but I see that as more of a hiding your tracks thing.

Either way, I could care less about Terry Phillips, he's apologized, he's done something stupid, there is no defense. Like I said, he's apologized and that's the end of it as far as he's concerned with me. As for everyone else, I find it very shady for that thread to just be deleted and no apology after it. All I've seen is this thread posting what Terry said in his apology, and then some of you sticking up for him "Well he was told by someone from the club". Unbelievable really.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:17 pm

Fair play Terry, bet you have punished yourself enough over the last few days.

Tanky, try replacing the T with a W. :banghead:

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:59 pm

LeonSDC wrote:I and many others have said what we've said in regards to people on this forum and even outside of it for either claiming they're in the know about Peter Whittingham, or breaking information that isn't confirmed.

If people have posted anything along the lines of "I can confirm it's true" about the false news, I think there needs to be an apology from those people too. Posting that Terry Phillips has made an apology is all well and good, but that doesn't give you a pass for posting the same information as official and then saying "Terry got it wrong, he's apologized". How about you apologize too. Not calling anyone out but you know who you are. Those of you publicly replying to each other on this forum letting everyone know "I know this, I know that, I'll wait until it's confirmed officially before I reveal what I know" Is appalling. Even as far as breaking Terry's news as OFFICIAL.

You don't get away with claiming "Terry Phillips" posted it so it's as good as official. He's not official. I notice the initial thread here breaking the news has been removed, which is probably good for Peter and his family, but I see that as more of a hiding your tracks thing.

Either way, I could care less about Terry Phillips, he's apologized, he's done something stupid, there is no defense. Like I said, he's apologized and that's the end of it as far as he's concerned with me. As for everyone else, I find it very shady for that thread to just be deleted and no apology after it. All I've seen is this thread posting what Terry said in his apology, and then some of you sticking up for him "Well he was told by someone from the club". Unbelievable really.

So if they’re not getting away with it, what are you going to do to them?

Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:07 pm

Instead of slagging each other off can we just come together for once and pray that this cardiff city legend recovers from this tragic accideny

Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:24 pm

The main thing is that Whitts recovers. Terry dropped a bollock, but we've all done that sometime. He is man enough to apologise. Credit to Terry. Fair play to Annis too, for locking the thread last night when confirmation was not forthcoming.

There was no malice in any of this, just, it seems to me at least, a series of misunderstandings.

I just pray that Peter recovers. My all time favourite City player. Always polite and friendly with us fans. One of us. :bluescarf: :bluebird: He does what he wants!