Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Peter Whittingham is in hospital “

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:28 am

BBC states:

Whittingham is in hospital as it's been confirmed by south wales police. Let's hope he keeps fighting

Former Cardiff City and Aston Villa midfielder Peter Whittingham is in hospital with head injuries.

The ex-England Under-21 international suffered the injuries after an "accidental" fall in a pub in Barry.

"At around 10pm on March 7, South Wales Police were called to a licensed premises in Barry," a statement read.

"A 35-year-old man from Penarth suffered a head injury as a result of a fall and remains at the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff."

The South Wales Police statement continued: "At this stage there is no evidence or suggestion of a criminal act, and it appears the injury was caused by an accidental fall.

"Enquiries are continuing into the circumstances of the incident."

Whittingham, started his career at Villa, where he played more than 50 league games and won 17 England Under-21 caps.

He joined Cardiff for £350,000 in 2007 and established himself as a club legend with 459 appearances and 98 goals before leaving in 2017.

Whittingham then moved to Blackburn Rovers, before leaving a year later.

But it is with Cardiff the stylish left-footed playmaker is most closely associated.

In his 10 years with the club, they reached the 2008 FA Cup final, 2012 League Cup final and won promotion to the Premier League in 2013.

Whittingham was a huge fans' favourite at Cardiff, scoring numerous spectacular long-range goals which helped earn him a place in the EFL's team of the decade for 2005-2015.

Re: Whittingham is in hospital

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:54 am

Cardiff City icon Peter Whittingham fighting for his life in hospital
South Wales Police confirmed the news on Wednesday

By Glen Williams

South Wales Police confirmed the news that he is in hospital on Wednesday morning.

Police were unable to give further details, but it is understood that Whittingham is in a critical condition.

It has been suggested Whittingham had been out to watch the England vs Wales Six Nations match before the incident took place.

A police statement read: "At around 10pm on March 7, South Wales Police were called to a licensed premises in Barry.

"A 35-year-old man from Penarth suffered a head injury as a result of a fall and remains at the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff.

"At this stage there is no evidence or suggestion of a criminal act, and it appears the injury was caused by an accidental fall.

"Enquiries are continuing into the circumstances of the incident."

Following reports online that Whittingham was in hospital, swathes of Bluebirds supporters took to social media to express their support for a person who is dearly loved by so many in this corner of the world.

Whittingham is widely regarded as one of the finest players ever to play for the Bluebirds, having enjoyed a hugely successful 10-year spell in the Welsh capital.

He turned out more than 450 times for Cardiff between 2007 and 2017, scoring 96 goals in the process.

He also turned out for Aston Villa, Burnley, Derby County and Blackburn Rovers in a career which spanned 15 years, eventually retiring in 2018.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:03 pm

Was gutted when I was told he died then spent hours looking to be told by people on here hes 100% passed on defo people were in the know lol shocking really hope he keeps fighting lovely man allways had time for fans

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:03 pm

I think I read since 7th March, not good but while there is hope we can pray for a recovery. Fingers Crossed.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:12 pm

Keep fighting Peter.

Re: “ Peter Whittingham is in hospital “

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:46 pm

Thank God. Praying he’ll recover.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:50 pm

keep fighting Whittingham :bluebird:

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:58 pm

Yes come on Whitts lad.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:08 pm

Legend.
Come on Peter, you can do it.
We all need some good news at the moment.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:12 pm

Praying for you Pete...I hope you recover soon. One of the best players and nicest people I have had the pleasure to know.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:39 pm

Come on Pete you can do it. All of us are with you.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:25 pm

So glad the news that he’d died is false news but obviously the battle is not over. I just hope, like everybody else who ever watched him play for us, that he makes a full recovery. I spoke to him in the pub a couple of months, ironically, where he fell and he is such a top guy.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:47 pm

So glad to hear this. Brilliant news.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:59 pm

Get well soon Whitts, I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:12 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I think I read since 7th March, not good but while there is hope we can pray for a recovery. Fingers Crossed.

I know a peronal ,who will remain nameless,who was struck by a train,was in a coma for 15 weeks! Had severe brain trauma,but came out the other side,he limps now and has limited movement in on arm,but is still walking around today :thumbup: we can all only hope for Peter to come out of this,but if he does,is likely to suffer some lasting effects,both physical and mental.fingers crossed for your speedy recover Peter Whittingham.for once the use of the word LEGEND is totally befitting. :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird:

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:11 pm

Buchanan's Exocet wrote:Legend.

Spot On :thumbup:

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:29 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
Buchanan's Exocet wrote:Legend.

Spot On :thumbup:

Absolutely!

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:47 pm

Come on whittingham ! You legend you can get through this ! :bluebird:

Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:15 am

And here's to you Peter Whittingham
City loves you more than you will know
Woah whoa wo

Get well soon Peter.

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird: