Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Going to London

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:58 pm

I'm off to London this weekend with the misses. Been loads of times but never to do the old sight seeing thing. Anyone know where the best places are to visit and the best places/websites to get the cheapest deals on?

We're going up Sunday morning coming home Monday night. We want to try and cram in as much as possible. Seen the London passes but they don't cover madame tussauds any good discount packages?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Going to London

Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:04 pm

yoiu can get a deal for Mad Tuss and the london dungeon, im sure there is one where you can tie in the eye too,
chineatown (gerrard square)is the cheapest place to eat with meals from as low as 4.95,

caraby st is a good place for fashion cloths with most shops having a permenant sale on

the dungeon is a must just to get the heart beating AGAIN.

Cheap Show tickets can be bought from a kiosk/office opposite the trocadero centre main enterance.

camden market is a good place to go on a sunday morning if the weathers ok

have fun :)

Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Try this site fella:

http://www.londontown.com/sightseeing/

Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:10 pm

The tube is by far the best way 2 get around!! :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Blue_Lloyd wrote:The tube is by far the best way 2 get around!! :ayatollah:

most deffo, with opptions or cards for how many zones you want to travel in and if its a day pass or weekend also allows for travel on the night time buses

Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:25 pm

buy tickets for the london eye and maddame taussauds from the thames embankment, its cheaper. madame taussauds is fantastic but the queues are massive so buy in advance.
imperial war museum is great, and all museums are free entry.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:34 pm

Splottoman wrote:I'm off to London this weekend with the misses. Been loads of times but never to do the old sight seeing thing. Anyone know where the best places are to visit and the best places/websites to get the cheapest deals on?

We're going up Sunday morning coming home Monday night. We want to try and cram in as much as possible. Seen the London passes but they don't cover madame tussauds any good discount packages?

Thanks in advance!

Tussauds is rubbish and hopelessly overpriced and the queues are mental.
Loads of stuff in London is cheap or free, it's just the terrible tourist traps like the musicals, Tower of London tour, London Dungeon, Tussards etc that are stupid money. Those London passes are a rip-off.

Good bank holiday weekend ideas: http://www.timeout.com/london/bank-holiday/

Free events: http://www.timeout.com/london/search/?tag_id[0]=2&submit=1&flag=Free

Bargain meals: http://www.timeout.com/london/restauran ... _eats.html

Explore that website and you won't go far wrong. :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:22 pm

For a great view if the weather is good, try the London Eye, then just across the river to Westminster is the Abbey, very interesting aswell.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:57 pm

Massive thanks to all who have replied. I can see it being a stressful weekend with the misses!

Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Notting Hill Carnival, Sunday is the Kids Day, a bit quieter, worth a look.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:42 pm

brick1964 wrote:Notting Hill Carnival, Sunday is the Kids Day, a bit quieter, worth a look.

No such thing as 'quieter day' when it comes to carnival! Trust me, I lived in the area for nigh on 6 yrs!

It is good though. Can of red stripe and a curry goat with rice and pea, you'll look like a native! :lol:

Ladbroke Grove station is going to be closed though, so head for Latimer Road and walk.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:54 pm

If you like the theatre as I do, then http://www.lastminute.com/site/entertai ... mnukgoogle is a good site for buying tickets!

If you just want to buy them on the day, then just pop along to one of the many booths in Leicester Square!

Cheapest way to get around London is to buy a day pass for the underground, which also allows you to use the buses (price inclusive), should they be more convenient than the tube! :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:16 pm

Sorry taffy 1989 i moved in there,i live on route of the carnival, for me sunday is a bit more bearable, bit less red stripe.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:22 pm

I hope you have handed in your sick note in to Gwyn if you are missing Pompey away :lol:

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:25 pm

And get a reusable Oyster card not a paper travelcard.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Wherever you decide to go mate it's going to be mega busy. Bank Holiday weekend is always manic..Get yourself a oyster card..

Have a great time :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

ps...St Katherines Dock is good for a bit of lunch. (as long as it's not pissing down) :lol: :lol:

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:05 pm

Marc wrote:Wherever you decide to go mate it's going to be mega busy. Bank Holiday weekend is always manic..Get yourself a oyster card..

Have a great time :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

ps...St Katherines Dock is good for a bit of lunch. (as long as it's not pissing down) :lol: :lol:

I used to work in Wapping (News of the World) and St Katherine Dock is very nice if the weather plays ball.