Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " I feel sorry for Neil Harris "

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:00 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Mr Potato wrote:The trouble with the Harris haters is that they cannot; or will refuse to, see the mess of a squad left to him. Yet, under Harris Paterson (and I can’t stand him) looks leaner, sharper and was fantastic last night. Tomlin is magic, vaulks has found form, the defence is looking sharper. Whyte caused problems and is improving. But, most of all, the football is better to watch. If he’s a load to add players he might just do something.

Hoilet and glatzel were disappointing last night, glatzel one minute has a great touch and will play someone in, then the next touch he falls over his feet. Hoilett - he’s lost pace, he can’t seem to beat anyone and his crossing is poor.

mess of a squad?

its not perfect, but thats way off the mark

No it isn’t, there is no pace, there is no quality (that was being played anyway) No creativity at all. Defenders couldn’t defend, wingers were all so inconsistent, midfield was woeful and strikers couldn’t score. It was and still is unbalanced but Harris has worked well with it. Warnock knew it and went before he was pushed. Wasting millions along the way.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:05 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Mr Potato wrote:The trouble with the Harris haters is that they cannot; or will refuse to, see the mess of a squad left to him. Yet, under Harris Paterson (and I can’t stand him) looks leaner, sharper and was fantastic last night. Tomlin is magic, vaulks has found form, the defence is looking sharper. Whyte caused problems and is improving. But, most of all, the football is better to watch. If he’s a load to add players he might just do something.

Hoilet and glatzel were disappointing last night, glatzel one minute has a great touch and will play someone in, then the next touch he falls over his feet. Hoilett - he’s lost pace, he can’t seem to beat anyone and his crossing is poor.

mess of a squad?

its not perfect, but thats way off the mark

A very unbalanced squad with very little pace or real quality in it. Maybe not a 'mess' but Harris did inherit a difficult squad to implement the changes the fans wanted/expected. As individuals the squad is decent, but put them together as a team and the lack of pace and cutting edge is pretty obvious. Exactly why we have struggled all season.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:07 pm

Hste's doing a good job. We where battered by QPR but showed fight to not lose the Welsh Derby and to beat top of the table. As Cardiff City we have no more right then anyone else to get promoted every season

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:15 pm

I don't feel sorry for him, he is on a massive wage compared to the like of us.

I am not sure he has that x factor, but he can only play the cards he has been dealt.

I hated the inane passing along the back four without the players or game plan for that. It looks like we are just followers of the latest fad. I used to laugh at teams who did that. If your opponents are making mistakes, don't stop them. We have a back four with mistakes stacked waiting to go in them.

He either can see something in Glatzel and waiting for him to click, or justifying his future decision to bin him.

In a free flowing, where the ball does all the work, passing team, Marlon Pack may be a asset. But, in a team that needs to get to the second ball to get possession further up the team he is a liability. Again why persevere ?

Our fans (not the ones on here, the other 99.9%) get very restless with the possession based passing, the annoyance last night when Pack chose the most super safe of super safe ball was audible.

I believe we'd all go for Warnockball with a little variation sprinkled in. I don't think Harris is too far from that, he just doesn't have the players.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:45 pm

llan bluebird wrote:I don't feel sorry for him, he is on a massive wage compared to the like of us.

I am not sure he has that x factor, but he can only play the cards he has been dealt.

I hated the inane passing along the back four without the players or game plan for that. It looks like we are just followers of the latest fad. I used to laugh at teams who did that. If your opponents are making mistakes, don't stop them. We have a back four with mistakes stacked waiting to go in them.

He either can see something in Glatzel and waiting for him to click, or justifying his future decision to bin him.

In a free flowing, where the ball does all the work, passing team, Marlon Pack may be a asset. But, in a team that needs to get to the second ball to get possession further up the team he is a liability. Again why persevere ?

Our fans (not the ones on here, the other 99.9%) get very restless with the possession based passing, the annoyance last night when Pack chose the most super safe of super safe ball was audible.

I believe we'd all go for Warnockball with a little variation sprinkled in. I don't think Harris is too far from that, he just doesn't have the players.

They are the same fans that get on the players backs for aimlessly lumping the ball forward at every opportunity though. we need a balance between the two and Harris seems to be getting there, slowly. If it takes a few extra passes at the back to find a better outlet then I’d prefer them do it. The opposition can’t score if they don’t have the ball.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:03 pm

I don’t feel sorry one bit.

Got himself a job at a big club.

And according to Harris, a big squad, quality and very happy with it :thumbright:

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:12 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I don’t feel sorry one bit.

And according to Harris, a big squad, quality and very happy with it :thumbright:

You keep repeating this. Seriously, what do you want him to say? That the squad and individual players are shit? Wouldn't exactly go down well with the team and help improve their performances. What Harris says and actually thinks are probably totally different. You have quoted him today saying he wants to bring in two players in positions that need strengthening. He knows the squad needs improving. But he has also got to keep the current players happy.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:44 pm

Escott1927 wrote:

You keep repeating this. Seriously, what do you want him to say? That the squad and individual players are shit? Wouldn't exactly go down well with the team and help improve their performances. What Harris says and actually thinks are probably totally different. You have quoted him today saying he wants to bring in two players in positions that need strengthening. He knows the squad needs improving. But he has also got to keep the current players happy.

The truth.
We are going to try our best to get into the play offs but our squad is lacking that little bit of extra quality at the moment that you need at this level. Hopefully we can try and get that extra quality during the transfer window if not it’s going to be a hard task.

There the truth would go down well.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:45 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:Great result last night, but people keep mentioning how far we are off the play offs. If we scraped into the play offs, and if we somehow scraped into the Premier again, the whole squad would need changing, apart from maybe Tomlin and Smithies, who else would cut it in the Prem? Given the fact that our owner would not be prepared to throw vast amounts of money at it, we would end up being the worst team ever to enter the top flight.
I would prefer to have us safe in mid table this season, and give NH the summer to build a decent squad to give it a go next season, and hope we can start playing some decent football.

What a load of crap that is.

Easy just to say that, please explain.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:05 pm

Don Keydick wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:Great result last night, but people keep mentioning how far we are off the play offs. If we scraped into the play offs, and if we somehow scraped into the Premier again, the whole squad would need changing, apart from maybe Tomlin and Smithies, who else would cut it in the Prem? Given the fact that our owner would not be prepared to throw vast amounts of money at it, we would end up being the worst team ever to enter the top flight.
I would prefer to have us safe in mid table this season, and give NH the summer to build a decent squad to give it a go next season, and hope we can start playing some decent football.

Being the worst team in the premier league will be better for us then being the best team in the championship.
Attract better players.
Bring in more money.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:07 pm

Don Keydick wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:

Great have no ambition to be promoted and then hopefully sighn players to make decent squad then what Hope we can get promotion next season which is far easier said than done., the whole point of playing football is to win games and promotion thats why your post is ++++ :old:

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:10 pm

Of course we need to go balls out for play offs at least. What's the point in settling for anything less??

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:10 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

The truth.
We are going to try our best to get into the play offs but our squad is lacking that little bit of extra quality at the moment that you need at this level. Hopefully we can try and get that extra quality during the transfer window if not it’s going to be a hard task.

He has said the aim is top 6 though. He hasnt said that the team lacks quality but he has said that he wants to strengthen the team - they mean the same thing but the latter doesn't put the team down, basically telling them they are not good enough for promotion. If he says the top 6 will not be achievable without bringing players in (again openly saying the current team are not good enough) and then we don't sign anyone he is pretty much writing off the rest of the season. It is hardly motivating the players to play and the fans to renew season tickets etc. It would also imply that he blames the board for not reaching top 6. He needs to keep the fans, players and board happy every time he speaks publicly. People get coached to do this stuff.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:13 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:

Being the worst team in the premier league will be better for us then being the best team in the championship.
Attract better players.
Bring in more money.

I'd take scraping promotion and relegation next season over a mid table finish this season any day. Promotion needs to be the aim every season regardless of whether the squad is deemed good enough or not.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:17 pm

Absolutely

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:10 pm

dogfound wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Crayfish wrote:There is always a tendency to overreact to one good or bad result. Harris is doing ok not great but not bad. If we are to get into the playoffs at some stage of the season we are going to have to win three or four games on the trot. With Reading to come at home and bottom club Luton away next there is no better time than now. Beat Reading and Luton and we can say Harris is doing a good job but not really before then.

One good thing is we now know our best defence. Peltier Morrisson Nelson and Bennett. We have a pretty good idea of our best midfield some combination of Ralls Vaulks Hoilett/Murphy and Whyte. Problem is up front. Glatzel at the moment looks like he could go a month without scoring Ward seems to play a couple of games and get injured maybe Patterson is out best forward and should always play up front with either Tomlin and Ward or both. If we are to make the playoffs we need one of our forwards to be scoring regularly.

goes to show, with the rest of the team solid enough, and the midfield options all looking a little better (not sure on pack myself though) a striker on loan could be the thing that rounds off the team for the rest of the season.

I quite like a lot of the stuff Pack does. but he seems to have a very stray pass in him almost every game.

Those stray passes seem to be getting more often. When he first came it looked like we had a real bargain with someone who could finally help us keep the ball. But he seems to be dipping in form. We could do with resting him, shame Ralls is injured.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:21 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:

Attract better players.
Bring in more money.

Now that's crap, who wants to see their team being mullered every week, and bring in more money for what?

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:33 pm

Don Keydick wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:

Attract better players.
Bring in more money.

Now that's crap, who wants to see their team being mullered every week, and bring in more money for what?

I want to see the team playing at the highest level possible in front of a world wide audience like every fan.

An bring in more money to spend on the club and buy things like our new training ground become a debt free club by half decent players.

Your just a glory supporter.

I’d rather beat Man Utd an lose the next three games then win four in a row in the championship.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:43 pm

great post, Spot on and he deserves time like any manager

I for one am happy with the progress some fans are just not realistic

Neil has my backing - :bluescarf:

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:48 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

The truth.

He has said the aim is top 6 though. He hasnt said that the team lacks quality but he has said that he wants to strengthen the team - they mean the same thing but the latter doesn't put the team down, basically telling them they are not good enough for promotion. If he says the top 6 will not be achievable without bringing players in (again openly saying the current team are not good enough) and then we don't sign anyone he is pretty much writing off the rest of the season. It is hardly motivating the players to play and the fans to renew season tickets etc. It would also imply that he blames the board for not reaching top 6. He needs to keep the fans, players and board happy every time he speaks publicly. People get coached to do this stuff.

Fans won’t renew season tickets just because a manager says the teams good.
If the players had any balls it would motivate them to prove they aren’t one of the people the manager is deeming not good enough.
An it’s not blaming the board exactly isit, even though they are the ones who agreed to sign Flint Day Pack and Glatzel

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:16 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:

Attract better players.
Bring in more money.

I want to see the team playing at the highest level possible in front of a world wide audience like every fan.

An bring in more money to spend on the club and buy things like our new training ground become a debt free club by half decent players.

I’d rather beat Man Utd an lose the next three games then win four in a row in the championship.

I'm not a glory supporter mate, been watching city since the 60's and a good few seasons home and away, season ticket holder since we moved to CCS. Don't do as many aways now as I used to, about 3 or 4 per season. Of course I want city in the Prem, I never said I didn't. But I'd like to see us go up with a squad with an even money chance of holding our own, not become a regular yo-yo club. Build a squad with some decent signings and maybe some good youngsters coming through is what I want. The great thing about football is that we've all got opinions, and I'm entitled to mine.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:25 pm

Don Keydick wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:

Attract better players.
Bring in more money.

I'm not a glory supporter mate, been watching city since the 60's and a good few seasons home and away, season ticket holder since we moved to CCS. Don't do as many aways now as I used to, about 3 or 4 per season. Of course I want city in the Prem, I never said I didn't. But I'd like to see us go up with a squad with an even money chance of holding our own, not become a regular yo-yo club. Build a squad with some decent signings and maybe some good youngsters coming through is what I want. The great thing about football is that we've all got opinions, and I'm entitled to mine.

Probably always going to be tough moving from this league up to the PL. If we hang on until we think we have a serious chance of avoiding the relegation battle, fans like you and me may never get the opportunity to see us there. If you have been a fan since the 60's, you obviously waited half a lifetime to see us briefly playing in the top flight. Personally, I would grasp every opportunity as and when it came along or we may end up needing to be re-incarnated if we are to get another chance of watching us playing at the top level.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:37 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Fantastic result tonight.

We beat the team who were top of the league before the night's fixtures. A team who put four past us in the away fixture. A team who in their last 20 games in all competitions, have lost just twice.

We were relatively comfortable as well and restricted them to three big chances - the close range shot that they blazed over the bar, the penalty that they scored and the save Smithies had to make at the end.

A very good performance against strong opposition.

Since we appointed Neil Harris, we have gained four points against the top two from those two games. Again, during this period we have also won away at the team who are currently third Nottingham Forest.

We are five points off the play-offs with 17 games to go. We are in with a decent chance of reaching the FA Cup Fifth Round for the first time in six years.

Great post!!!

We have had some bad results, agreed. But we have also had some very good results and are actually in a good place if people take a minute to be realistic.

Yet still there are some who will not give him the credit he deserves. I can't work out if they are being charlatans and shysters or they actually believe this. If I was being cynical then I would suggest nobody would have been good to replace the last manager in their eyes - nobody realistic, anyway.

So I feel sorry for Neil Harris because it seems he can't win some people over, no matter what.

He hadn't signed anyone yet. That's true. But the last manager spent a fair amount of money on players that didn't play. I, for one, don't want to see Harris do the same. He's spot on when he says he'll only bring in players who will offer something to the group.

I hope things change quickly with the thoughts of supporters, because Neil Harris deserves out support and I believe he has earned it.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:18 pm

dogfound wrote:
rumpo kid wrote:You can’t just like people regardless of their position, that’s how life is and should be. They’re not being anything but honest.

spot on
and more than a bit rich from people who absolutely slaughtered another manager earlier this season..

Fair points,but what has Harris to do,to win the support of the fans?? Who are these posters that absolutely slaughtered the previous manager? I still don't, and never will believe the bo@llocks that he was hounded out!! It's my opinion he left,because he had taken this group of players,as far as he could,so walked,BEFORE it got worse,with head held high,something I personally said he should do,never really slagged the man off,only gave my opinion on him this season,after the swansea game,I agree some fans did indeed voice their opinions rather harshly,and I won't forget the fact he united a very split club/fan base, but I cannot say he left us in a better place,no way.we are in the same place as before he came in,a squad not easily to alter style of play with,and some right piss poor signings,yet Harris is copping the flack for Warnock's ineptitude with millions of pounds.Most fans I know,are not of the belief that just because we beat the table toppers, everything is rosy,but we have to give Harris time,and I don't mean the usual"he's had as many games as warnock,this season" nonsense either ,we have lost less games than the rest of the league,turn some of the draws into wins,and we will be in the mix for the play offs,because if he is to be judged fairly,then for me the timing of some is way too early to be "hounding" the man out,someone asked why he didnt/wouldn't celebrate with the fans at the end of the game? Well if he reads this forum,I'm hardly surprised!! Warnock had the fans onside from the off,just because of his reputation,which by the way didn't endear me to him,like most.I realised upon his appointment, that the football was not going to be easy on the eye,and it wasn't! But I still wouldn't stoop to some posters levels of criticism of the man,but certain posters for whatever their reasons are,go on like they hate the manager so much,it comes across to me,as an agenda against him,regardless of his record so far with us,their choice I know,but imho it's not fair. :old: :bluebird:

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:39 pm

He said he's happy with the squad but is looking for additions, but only those who will improve the squad.

The manager before him was corrupt and brought in players who hardly ever even played. People should be glad Harris isn't like that.

It's better he talks up our squad, than go to the press and say they are all shit.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:40 pm

That’s what I’m saying.. there’s no given that anyone must like Neil Harris, or anyone for that matter.

I think he’s ok.. never met him tho. Saying that, I liked Slade but not Malky... thought he was a twonk. I’m in the minority, but it doesn’t really matter. Harris is here and needs time. That’s it.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:55 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:

He said he's happy with the squad but is looking for additions, but only those who will improve the squad.

The manager before him was corrupt and brought in players who hardly ever even played. People should be glad Harris isn't like that.

It's better he talks up our squad, than go to the press and say they are all shit.

Ned,

What many on here don’t realise , I have nothing personal against Neil Harris and as a player loved his attitude and as a manager I like his passion and attitude and would I get rid of him today No, but honestly I don’t want him here next season and that does not mean I don’t like him, I just don’t rate him highly.

I would love to prove me and many others wrong :thumbright: :bluebird:

As to Neil Warnock NO one moaned the first two seasons and 99% of our fans loved him.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:56 pm

I am still concerned yes last night was a great result but WBA were poor last night I have seen them play much better.

This league this season I believe is of a poor standard we haven't been great at all this season and we are in still in a chance of the play offs so it shows it is quite poor.

I am not excited about Harris but always love being proved wrong for my team to be winning games and he deserves time as any new manager does so I really hope he turns into the best manager we have ever had I really would love that as I love this club and have done for many years and will always love them

But we need some players in and we need to rid of a few I still don't rate Pack but Harris never drops him so he must see
something that I don't .

I don't dislike Harris I just think there was better managers out there when our board got him but he has to be giving the chance and that is this season and next season with hopefully his own signings in the summer as January is not a good time to sign players

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:05 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:
DEANO wrote:Are we talking about the same WBA who haven't won in 7 games and are in freefall

The same WBA who beat a strong West Ham team. The same who were still top. They'll still be up there at the end. The season we went up we had a blip.

There's no denying it is a great result.

Spot On :thumbup:

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:21 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

The truth.

Fans won’t renew season tickets just because a manager says the teams good.
If the players had any balls it would motivate them to prove they aren’t one of the people the manager is deeming not good enough.
An it’s not blaming the board exactly isit, even though they are the ones who agreed to sign Flint Day Pack and Glatzel

I agree with nearly all of that,bar the last line,the board, as it has been said on here umpteen times,know nothing regards football as a business (and that's what it's become) so they took the word of their manager with decades of experience in the game,that these players he picked out,were worth the outlay,as he was the man who'd been there and bought the tee shirt,so to speak,that's just my honest take on things.why on earth we haven't someone at board level,with the nous to direct the transfer side of matters is beyond me :roll: it's blatantly obvious to us supporters,that's a very important missing link.otherwise every player we buy from here on in,will be bought on who's recommendation? ? :old: :bluebird: