Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" I feel sorry for Neil Harris "

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:00 am

Fantastic result tonight.

We beat the team who were top of the league before the night's fixtures. A team who put four past us in the away fixture. A team who in their last 20 games in all competitions, have lost just twice.

We were relatively comfortable as well and restricted them to three big chances - the close range shot that they blazed over the bar, the penalty that they scored and the save Smithies had to make at the end.

A very good performance against strong opposition.

Since we appointed Neil Harris, we have gained four points against the top two from those two games. Again, during this period we have also won away at the team who are currently third Nottingham Forest.

We are five points off the play-offs with 17 games to go. We are in with a decent chance of reaching the FA Cup Fifth Round for the first time in six years.

We have had some bad results, agreed. But we have also had some very good results and are actually in a good place if people take a minute to be realistic.

Yet still there are some who will not give him the credit he deserves. I can't work out if they are being charlatans and shysters or they actually believe this. If I was being cynical then I would suggest nobody would have been good to replace the last manager in their eyes - nobody realistic, anyway.

So I feel sorry for Neil Harris because it seems he can't win some people over, no matter what.

He hadn't signed anyone yet. That's true. But the last manager spent a fair amount of money on players that didn't play. I, for one, don't want to see Harris do the same. He's spot on when he says he'll only bring in players who will offer something to the group.

I hope things change quickly with the thoughts of supporters, because Neil Harris deserves out support and I believe he has earned it.

Re: " I feel sorry for Neil Harris "

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:20 am

Awkward moment when we win the play offs and the FA Cup... What's the carlsberg advert? :lol:

All seriousness I agree with you.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:22 am

I must say,first class post, I have a topic going,around the mood of supporters of ccfc only,pretty much asking fans to stay on topic, and no stupid slagging off of fellow fans.but I agree with every word you have written,certain posters have an agenda regards Harris, I've said it in a few posts,he could win the league and for some,he's still shit,and the sad part for me is, it's just because he wasn't their choice!! Really sad imho.even noticed Annis posting on two separate topics,and two very conflicting posts indeed! One rapport on game,saying great 3 pts,usually shit 1st half,not today,played ok both halves.then saying he agreed with an op about how dire the football was,no improvement, and the crux subject? The Harris says he is happy with the squad,to me that's made it stand out as an agenda quote,Hmmmmmmmm is what they say isn't it?? I enjoyed tonight's game anyway, and can see improvement,be it slow (not a worry for me) it's there to see,those who can't see it,are maybe frightened to admit that this "shit " manager,has got the team playing a little bit more football,I've also noticed the tomlin doubters/haters have been rather quiet of late ;) :old: :bluebird:

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:40 am

Completely agree.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:14 am

Are we talking about the same WBA who haven't won in 7 games and are in freefall

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:20 am

DEANO wrote:Are we talking about the same WBA who haven't won in 7 games and are in freefall

The same WBA who beat a strong West Ham team. The same who were still top. They'll still be up there at the end. The season we went up we had a blip.

There's no denying it is a great result.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:40 am

It’s a good result no doubt. But I’m not going over the top like some fans we got mullered 6-1 a couple games ago.
Even last night let’s be honest WBA should have taken one of those chances from open play.
We still seem unable to create anything unless from a set piece or a moment of Tomlin magic. We are very fine lines at the moment

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:28 am

Well said mate. Although Harris wasn't the fans first choice, he's doing pretty well considering none of the players are his signings.
I personally will not judge him until next season when he has had a pre season and summer transfer window.
Well done City :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:21 am

Spot on with this post. Some people expect us to play like Barcelona in their hey day. That was a bloody good result last night and the players and staff deserve a lot of credit. But you'll still have people moaning.

Give the guy a chance

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:22 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Fantastic result tonight.

We beat the team who were top of the league before the night's fixtures. A team who put four past us in the away fixture. A team who in their last 20 games in all competitions, have lost just twice.

We were relatively comfortable as well and restricted them to three big chances - the close range shot that they blazed over the bar, the penalty that they scored and the save Smithies had to make at the end.

Since we appointed Neil Harris, we have gained four points against the top two from those two games. Again, during this period we have also won away at the team who are currently third Nottingham Forest.

We are five points off the play-offs with 17 games to go. We are in with a decent chance of reaching the FA Cup Fifth Round for the first time in six years.

We have had some bad results, agreed. But we have also had some very good results and are actually in a good place if people take a minute to be realistic.

Yet still there are some who will not give him the credit he deserves. I can't work out if they are being charlatans and shysters or they actually believe this. If I was being cynical then I would suggest nobody would have been good to replace the last manager in their eyes - nobody realistic, anyway.

So I feel sorry for Neil Harris because it seems he can't win some people over, no matter what.

He hadn't signed anyone yet. That's true. But the last manager spent a fair amount of money on players that didn't play. I, for one, don't want to see Harris do the same. He's spot on when he says he'll only bring in players who will offer something to the group.

I hope things change quickly with the thoughts of supporters, because Neil Harris deserves out support and I believe he has earned it.

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: I've given him till the end of next season to get a team ready for promotion that got a chance of staying in the prem.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:24 am

Neil Harris is missing a trick. He would be aware that there is mixed feelings amongst the fans with his appointment and progress has been intermittent.
Why doesn't he take the opportunity to share in the joy and celebration of beating the top of the league with the fans at the end of the game or following any win. NW was a master at it and as such the fans and manager create a bond.
The players come across to the fans I dont understand why the manager doesn't.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:36 am

I agree he's had some tough fixtures too, if you compare the two performances against Swansea, you can see we are a lot better now, and as we lost the first time that was a pressure game.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:36 am

I'm not sure what some people were expecting Harris to do with this squad. It's been put together for reasons other than play fast, attacking, skillful football. He's using a Scottish full back as his main goal threat, he others are either injured or totally ineffectual [Glatzel]. His best midfielder [Ralls] is injured, and no manager is going to get any more out of Pack. I think he's had 5 centre half pairings this season.

He's doing OK IMHO. We may see a player come in this month, but he's realistic enough to know it's the summer transfer window that will give him the opportunity to change things significantly..

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:37 am

You can’t just like people regardless of their position, that’s how life is and should be. They’re not being anything but honest.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:41 am

rumpo kid wrote:You can’t just like people regardless of their position, that’s how life is and should be. They’re not being anything but honest.

spot on
and more than a bit rich from people who absolutely slaughtered another manager earlier this season..

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:15 am

Our football may be painful to watch on times, but it's all about results and Harris is doing ok at the moment. Easy to concentrate on the negatives, but there are plus points as well. I have seen posters pointing out how poor West Brom have been recently. That's not our problem, we still came out on top against a team that had lost just 3 of their previous 28 league games and are currently 2 points off the top of the table. We are difficult to beat ourselves, only the top 3 sides have lost fewer games than us this season. We may be mid table, but are now just 5 points from a play off place. It's up to each individual to have their own opinion, and while a lot of the criticism may be valid, it's not all doom and gloom, and while I don't think it will happen, we are still in with a shout of a top six finish as we move into February..

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:32 am

There is always a tendency to overreact to one good or bad result. Harris is doing ok not great but not bad. If we are to get into the playoffs at some stage of the season we are going to have to win three or four games on the trot. With Reading to come at home and bottom club Luton away next there is no better time than now. Beat Reading and Luton and we can say Harris is doing a good job but not really before then.

One good thing is we now know our best defence. Peltier Morrisson Nelson and Bennett. We have a pretty good idea of our best midfield some combination of Ralls Vaulks Hoilett/Murphy and Whyte. Problem is up front. Glatzel at the moment looks like he could go a month without scoring Ward seems to play a couple of games and get injured maybe Patterson is out best forward and should always play up front with either Tomlin and Ward or both. If we are to make the playoffs we need one of our forwards to be scoring regularly.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:47 am

Like I said before it was a good result and the team played well.

But...

After our last good result against Wednesday what happend. We got dicked 6-1 by QPR. So let’s not jump on the Neil Harris is the saviour bandwagon.

As for this FA cup run. We struggled to beat league 2 Carlisle over two games and we couldn’t finish off 10 man Reading so it’s not really something to be proud of. Struggling to beat reading and Carlisle then going out to Sheffield United isn’t going to be anything to shout about imo.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:54 am

Llan_Blue wrote:Like I said before it was a good result and the team played well.

But...

After our last good result against Wednesday what happend. We got dicked 6-1 by QPR. So let’s not jump on the Neil Harris is the saviour bandwagon.

As for this FA cup run. We struggled to beat league 2 Carlisle over two games and we couldn’t finish off 10 man Reading so it’s not really something to be proud of. Struggling to beat reading and Carlisle then going out to Sheffield United isn’t going to be anything to shout about imo.

its like a pendulum , the people most likely to start Harris out threads now are the ones asking to give him a chance... :lol:

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:00 am

Some people talk as if were playing amazing football under the previous manager.. It was worse football than we play now :lol:

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:03 am

Crayfish wrote:There is always a tendency to overreact to one good or bad result. Harris is doing ok not great but not bad. If we are to get into the playoffs at some stage of the season we are going to have to win three or four games on the trot. With Reading to come at home and bottom club Luton away next there is no better time than now. Beat Reading and Luton and we can say Harris is doing a good job but not really before then.

One good thing is we now know our best defence. Peltier Morrisson Nelson and Bennett. We have a pretty good idea of our best midfield some combination of Ralls Vaulks Hoilett/Murphy and Whyte. Problem is up front. Glatzel at the moment looks like he could go a month without scoring Ward seems to play a couple of games and get injured maybe Patterson is out best forward and should always play up front with either Tomlin and Ward or both. If we are to make the playoffs we need one of our forwards to be scoring regularly.

goes to show, with the rest of the team solid enough, and the midfield options all looking a little better (not sure on pack myself though) a striker on loan could be the thing that rounds off the team for the rest of the season.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:23 am

paulh_85 wrote:
Crayfish wrote:There is always a tendency to overreact to one good or bad result. Harris is doing ok not great but not bad. If we are to get into the playoffs at some stage of the season we are going to have to win three or four games on the trot. With Reading to come at home and bottom club Luton away next there is no better time than now. Beat Reading and Luton and we can say Harris is doing a good job but not really before then.

goes to show, with the rest of the team solid enough, and the midfield options all looking a little better (not sure on pack myself though) a striker on loan could be the thing that rounds off the team for the rest of the season.

I quite like a lot of the stuff Pack does. but he seems to have a very stray pass in him almost every game.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:34 am

BarryWelsh88 wrote:It’s a good result no doubt. But I’m not going over the top like some fans we got mullered 6-1 a couple games ago.
Even last night let’s be honest WBA should have taken one of those chances from open play.
We still seem unable to create anything unless from a set piece or a moment of Tomlin magic. We are very fine lines at the moment

I agree with the op but this reply puts some perspective into the situation. If WBA had taken one of their chances, then this topic wouldn’t be here.
We were ok against top of the league, granted, but still look clueless when in good attacking positions, and ropey in defence.
Hopefully things improve once Harris has had a few transfer windows.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:35 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Some people talk as if were playing amazing football under the previous manager.. It was worse football than we play now :lol:

it was what it was. direct but more often than not it wasn't short of touches in the opposition box, shots, corners etc.. amazing fast flowing football it wasn't.. worse than 4 pedestrian sideways passes prior to launching which we have seen { not so much last night } especially in the first halves of many games.. no
but my point was not that... my point was that the vast majority of fans do not need telling they should be patient, least of all by the very people who have shown they cut no slack and accept no reasons.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:36 am

Great post!

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:02 pm

Great result last night, but people keep mentioning how far we are off the play offs. If we scraped into the play offs, and if we somehow scraped into the Premier again, the whole squad would need changing, apart from maybe Tomlin and Smithies, who else would cut it in the Prem? Given the fact that our owner would not be prepared to throw vast amounts of money at it, we would end up being the worst team ever to enter the top flight.
I would prefer to have us safe in mid table this season, and give NH the summer to build a decent squad to give it a go next season, and hope we can start playing some decent football.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:06 pm

Don Keydick wrote:Great result last night, but people keep mentioning how far we are off the play offs. If we scraped into the play offs, and if we somehow scraped into the Premier again, the whole squad would need changing, apart from maybe Tomlin and Smithies, who else would cut it in the Prem? Given the fact that our owner would not be prepared to throw vast amounts of money at it, we would end up being the worst team ever to enter the top flight.
I would prefer to have us safe in mid table this season, and give NH the summer to build a decent squad to give it a go next season, and hope we can start playing some decent football.

What a load of crap that is.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:56 pm

The trouble with the Harris haters is that they cannot; or will refuse to, see the mess of a squad left to him. Yet, under Harris Paterson (and I can’t stand him) looks leaner, sharper and was fantastic last night. Tomlin is magic, vaulks has found form, the defence is looking sharper. Whyte caused problems and is improving. But, most of all, the football is better to watch. If he’s aloud to add players he might just do something.

Hoilet and glatzel were disappointing last night, glatzel one minute has a great touch and will play someone in, then the next touch he falls over his feet. Hoilett - he’s lost pace, he can’t seem to beat anyone and his crossing is poor.
Last edited by Mr Potato on Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:57 pm

Mr Potato wrote:The trouble with the Harris haters is that they cannot; or will refuse to, see the mess of a squad left to him. Yet, under Harris Paterson (and I can’t stand him) looks leaner, sharper and was fantastic last night. Tomlin is magic, vaulks has found form, the defence is looking sharper. Whyte caused problems and is improving. But, most of all, the football is better to watch. If he’s a load to add players he might just do something.

Hoilet and glatzel were disappointing last night, glatzel one minute has a great touch and will play someone in, then the next touch he falls over his feet. Hoilett - he’s lost pace, he can’t seem to beat anyone and his crossing is poor.

mess of a squad?

its not perfect, but thats way off the mark

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:58 pm

I said it in another thread but I think people had made up their minds about Harris from day 1. I think people need to be more realistic with what they expect to see from him and the team. We were never going to start playing like liverpool with loads of youth players in the team within 3 months of him being here. Warnock built this team to be direct so it was always going to be hard to change that in a short space of time, especially as he doesn't seem to have much backing this transfer window to bring in players to do so. The football hasnt been great but Harris hasnt really had the time/resources to make the team his own and get them playing exactly how he wants. We will have a much better idea of the direction Harris is taking us after a full preseason and summer transfer window.