Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Premiership Loan Players

Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:28 am

Why is it that we never seem to be linked with bringing in Premiership players on loan whilst in the Championship.

Throughout each transfer window many fringe/young Premier League players are loaned out and there are usually 2-4 clubs linked. I don’t recall us have any links to bringing in these players. I can’t recall the last player we brought in from a PL team whilst we have been in the Championship, any ideas? Seems that the majority of Championship clubs do chase the players who are allowed to go out on loan but we don’t seem interested.

Money an issue? Hoofball?

Re: Premiership Loan Players

Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:43 am

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Why is it that we never seem to be linked with bringing in Premiership players on loan whilst in the Championship.

Throughout each transfer window many fringe/young Premier League players are loaned out and there are usually 2-4 clubs linked. I don’t recall us have any links to bringing in these players. I can’t recall the last player we brought in from a PL team whilst we have been in the Championship, any ideas? Seems that the majority of Championship clubs do chase the players who are allowed to go out on loan but we don’t seem interested.

We loaned Grujic from Liverpool the season we got promoted.

I think it is our style of football that is the issue. Prem teams want to develop their players to play nice passing attacking football. We don't do that so clubs will not be inclined to send their players here. Grujic was a defensive midfielder so it was of some benefit to his development to play here. Won't be the case for most other players/positions though.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:14 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Why is it that we never seem to be linked with bringing in Premiership players on loan whilst in the Championship.

We loaned Grujic from Liverpool the season we got promoted.

I think it is our style of football that is the issue. Prem teams want to develop their players to play nice passing attacking football. We don't do that so clubs will not be inclined to send their players here. Grujic was a defensive midfielder so it was of some benefit to his development to play here. Won't be the case for most other players/positions though.

Totally forgot about Grujic although he did well for us. You are probably right about our football style. It would be interesting to know if we actually do show any interest in loaning any of these players.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:09 pm

I remember we had Danny Drinkwater from Man United? about 10 years ago. He had an awful time here from what I remember but went onto win the PL with Leicester City.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:53 pm

Lukisz from Newcastle springs to mind. I think I spelled it wrong.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:52 pm

Even the Drinkwater loan went wrong. Fergie threw his toys out of the pram when we also signed Ramsey and recalled him.

Premier league managers simply didn't trust Sir Neil with their young talent. I had hoped Harris would have more luck, but I guess he has no money.

Grukic did well for us but at the end of that promotion season we often played Bamba CDM and Grukic was on the bench. It got us promoted so Sir Neil not wrong but im sure it didn't endure him or us to Liverpool and others.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:59 pm

Zaha i think

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:03 pm

Niasse last January, although not young.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:23 pm

Harris vucic

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:34 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I remember we had Danny Drinkwater from Man United? about 10 years ago. He had an awful time here from what I remember but went onto win the PL with Leicester City.

If I remember rightly mate, Man Utd called him back as DJ wasn't giving him enough game time

Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:38 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I remember we had Danny Drinkwater from Man United? about 10 years ago. He had an awful time here from what I remember but went onto win the PL with Leicester City.

Yes, he was here and (from what I also remember) didn't set the world on fire and couldn't wait to get away; similar to Kasper Schmeichel, who had a bigger impact whilst here

Both went on to win the Premier League with Leicester City but I think Schmeichel is the one who became the bigger player

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:19 am

RV Casual wrote:

If I remember rightly mate, Man Utd called him back as DJ wasn't giving him enough game time

Didn't he cock up a clearance in playoff semi with reading ? We lost 0-3

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:40 am

As mentioned above, the big clubs don't want to loan players out for our style of football.

The example of that is Tammy Abraham, when Chelsea preferred him to go to Aston Villa on loan in the Championship than us in the Premier League.

The other issue is sometimes you can be forced to play them in most games or have to pay more money, as was the case with Marko Grujic. I believe the Jacks have a similar agreement with Liverpool for Rhian Brewster.

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:26 am

We would be a good fit off the pitch for most youngsters from a decent PL club ...city are big club, good fan base , ground and facilities etc but it does come back to the style of football....would you send a good young forward like Brewster to a team that doesn’t create many chances or have a creative midfield?
And the experienced players would look at what’s around ....

What would we give fir a Camarsa type of loan at mo!??