Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Big name signing tomorrow?

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:57 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:What exactly are we, a second tier club, expecting out of all this "big name signing" stuff? I think Keogh is a realistic signing for us and, if Bellamy had been born elsewhere, would we have got him? No, we wouldn't. It was really down to him being cast adrift at Man City, him wanting to sign for us and them not letting him sign for another Premiership club as the only real reasons we got him. So lets get real about all this big name signing stuff. I think Keogh will be a good signing for us, if it is indeed him who is rumoured to be coming. Mick McCarthy has said he's coming here, so all this nonsense about Benjani is just that. Nonsense

So you dont think Bellamy would attract other BIG NAME signings then? ;) (other players will be looking at Cardiff as big promotion contenders and a key back to regular premiership football? )

Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:15 pm

Merlin wrote:
Nottage Blue wrote:What exactly are we, a second tier club, expecting out of all this "big name signing" stuff? I think Keogh is a realistic signing for us and, if Bellamy had been born elsewhere, would we have got him? No, we wouldn't. It was really down to him being cast adrift at Man City, him wanting to sign for us and them not letting him sign for another Premiership club as the only real reasons we got him. So lets get real about all this big name signing stuff. I think Keogh will be a good signing for us, if it is indeed him who is rumoured to be coming. Mick McCarthy has said he's coming here, so all this nonsense about Benjani is just that. Nonsense

So you dont think Bellamy would attract other BIG NAME signings then? ;) (other players will be looking at Cardiff as big promotion contenders and a key back to regular premiership football? )

Has nobody wondered how this is going to be financed? OK, TG and Vincent Tan are supposedly financing our part of the Bellamy deal and the shirt and ticket sales are going some way to re-couping that, but not so long ago we were skint and dodging winding up orders because we couldn't pay the PAYE on the high-earners we alrady had here. Now evderyone is clamouring for 'big name signings' to come in. I want to be realistic about all this. We are only a second-tier club, after all. If it all goes tits up (Bellamy getting injured, maybe?), we could be up shit street

Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:30 pm

James Collins would have as much of an effect in Defence as Bellers does
in attack. But no bloody way is he coming here. Whenever I see him on the
box he plays a blinder. He's not been frozen out has he? and how could we
pay his wages?

I hope its not Danny Gabbidon, we have a small squad and cannot afford
to get injury prone players in!!

Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:31 pm

I don't think anyone's clamouring for any more big name signings, but if rumour turns out to be fact, then I think we have to put our faith in DJ/TG that they won't do anything silly, unlike the previous regime.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:34 pm

TH63 wrote:I don't think anyone's clamouring for any more big name signings, but if rumour turns out to be fact, then I think we have to put our faith in DJ/TG that they won't do anything silly, unlike the previous regime.

I wonder then, how much influence DJ had when he was part of that previous regime? Let's hope someone is holding the reins

Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:13 pm

You never know!

steve taylor on Newcastle transfer list???? Who knows lol :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:15 pm

Stokesy wrote:You never know!

steve taylor on Newcastle transfer list???? Who knows lol :ayatollah:

£60k a week wages to find. I can't see Newcastle being so generous to us in paying any of his wages though

Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:32 pm

it be keogh on season long loan he be good player for us quick strong and score goals all we need now is centre half

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:21 pm

yea he the last season long loan your allowed i think its 5 short term loans so basically get the same player if good for a year but thats all 5 short term loans

:ayatollah:

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:49 pm

What does Mick McCarthy know, eh?? :lol:

Trouble with signing Keogh is that Dave will expect him to be competitive in EVERY game he plays for us....unlike at Wolves where their team ONLY compete against teams they feel they have half a chance of taking a point off!! :cry:

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:53 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:
TH63 wrote:I don't think anyone's clamouring for any more big name signings, but if rumour turns out to be fact, then I think we have to put our faith in DJ/TG that they won't do anything silly, unlike the previous regime.

I wonder then, how much influence DJ had when he was part of that previous regime? Let's hope someone is holding the reins

Yeah, but it's DJ's job to try and get the best players for City, the Chairman's job to tell him not to be so daft, we can't afford them. Riddler would just say yes, and borrow another couple of million off Sam, with no hope of it being repaid.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:58 pm

Quote: "not so long ago we were skint and dodging winding up orders because we couldn't pay the PAYE on the high-earners we alrady had here. Now evderyone is clamouring for 'big name signings' to come in. I want to be realistic about all this."

You are, of course right in SOME of what you say. However, people are still jumping on the 'ills' of the previous regime.

To my thinking, TG, Vincent Tan and the NEW board appear to be making positive efforts to sort out the sins of others whilst, at the same time, doing their best to give us a side to more than challenge for promotion....

I think that realism at this time is to accept that there is still some way to go before we are totally 'out of the water' and classed as a stable club. Why else do you think we are signing quality 'loan' players instead of spending millions in transfer fees??

To me, it's simples...by signing quality 'loan' players we can just about afford the portion of the wages they are on and it may pay dividends. To actually 'pay' for them would reduce our options to almost nil....at this time!!

Who knows for the future....but I, for one, am positive we have good business group in charge :D :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:09 pm

jimmy floyd- haslebank is the biggest name we have signed so far, how about the dutch player who had played for celtic do not know where he is now but he has a pretty big name, do you think its him :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:07 pm

Hope it's a central defender and NOTHING else! ;)

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:19 pm

M O

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:44 pm

Ok, i'll bite.

What makes you think Michael Owen will sign?