Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

POMPEY CHIMES

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:19 am

OK, I should really know this, but what is the real story with Cardiff and Portsmouth's clock??

Although, I do like the song!! "Tick tock, tick tock, we've got your clock"
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: POMPEY CHIMES

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:21 am

If I remember from what I've read, we got done at Cardiff, so when we went to Pompey we ripped down their clock :D

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:44 am

what i remember is that around 5000 of us were in the end behind the goal , abit like the old grange end and there was missiles being thrown everywhere and the old bill were trying to stop us breaking out into the street , batons drawn and fistycuffs and all that.then some guy got up to the clock and started ripping the arms off the clock and that was that we all just ripped it down and used it as missiles.what i remember was some guy on crutches holding this 6ft long arm of the clock waving it in the air.anyone else?

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:00 am

I remember a mate of mine from Surrey coming to the Cup Final with me and I was explaining the origins of the what's the time song. Some bloke standing next to us, covered in tattoos on his hands, neck, arms plastered in them, was saying that he was one of the ones responsible for helping rip the clock down. I then find out a little later that he's a regular on CCMB and he said me and my mate looked "dodgy"!!!!! :shock: :shock:

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:50 am

They only ever sing "Play up Pompey, Pompley play up!"...

With that in mind, at the cup final a few of us started signing....

Chim Chiminy, Chim Chiminy, Cim Chim Charoo.....we know 4 songs, that's 3 more than YOU!...

Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:41 pm

Bluebird99 wrote:They only ever sing "Play up Pompey, Pompley play up!"...

With that in mind, at the cup final a few of us started signing....

Chim Chiminy, Chim Chiminy, Cim Chim Charoo.....we know 4 songs, that's 3 more than YOU!...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have to get that one going again on Saturday! :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:46 pm

The game was played on the 12 March 1983, ended 0-0 [24354] Pompey & City were promotion contenders that season, [Pompey eventual champions, us second]. City fans, about 5000, were in an open end, with the wooden clock at the back, set on a stand. After the final whistle, we were kept back in the ground for a while, with Pompey fans throwing bricks & allsorts over the walls at us. Some fella climbed up the clock stand & started to rip off pieces of the clock, bit by bit, & throw the pieces all over the place, with the City fans cheering him as he did. Really funny at the time. I travelled down on a BR "football special", & on the way back the train was bricked, & one fella on board got hit on the head, nasty. Never got to hear what happened to him though.