Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

British workers are as weak

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:01 pm

as cats piss.
The french are on strike to stop pension reform.The British sit back and take it on the chin.

Teachers and transport workers were joined by police, lawyers, hospital and airport staff, and other professions for the general walkout.

Train driver Cyril Romero from Toulouse told France Info he would reconsider his job if the reforms went through.

"I started in 2001 with a contract that allowed me to leave at 50. But like everyone else, I got the reforms which pushed back my early retirement age to 52-and-a-half and then, in reality, 57-and-a-half for full pension. Now they want to make us work even longer.

Re: British workers are as weak

Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:55 am

This is because the country is broke.

The small generation who have been financially allowed to retire early are extremely fortunate but I can't see basic economics allowing it anymore. Added to which life expectancy continues to extend.

France is even broker than we are and without reform is in dire trouble.

The younger generation have zero hours contracts and frankly will never be able to "retire".

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:54 am

stickywicket wrote:as cats piss.
The french are on strike to stop pension reform.The British sit back and take it on the chin.

Teachers and transport workers were joined by police, lawyers, hospital and airport staff, and other professions for the general walkout.

Train driver Cyril Romero from Toulouse told France Info he would reconsider his job if the reforms went through.

"I started in 2001 with a contract that allowed me to leave at 50. But like everyone else, I got the reforms which pushed back my early retirement age to 52-and-a-half and then, in reality, 57-and-a-half for full pension. Now they want to make us work even longer.

Our country was running out of money - reforming pensions was a no brainer :?

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:20 pm

I am sure your contract will allow you to leave at any age If it is pension you are talking about then with a pension that was age 50 you are likely to be Police or Fire and you need 30 years service for full pension Your contract would never have guaranteed a pension age if you look at the full contract ( always has the catch 22 clause ) The cost of pensions are killing France and all they are doing is building up a huge debt for the next generation The government needs to do something

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:25 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:This is because the country is broke.

The small generation who have been financially allowed to retire early are extremely fortunate but I can't see basic economics allowing it anymore. Added to which life expectancy continues to extend.

France is even broker than we are and without reform is in dire trouble.

The younger generation have zero hours contracts and frankly will never be able to "retire".

The best investment a younger worker could make for his future: A guide on how to build a rambo hut in the woods.

Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:07 pm

Lazy fuckers the French, they have been striking for years and the Country hasn't got a pot to piss in, I am so glad we are getting (hopefully) out of the EU it's a disaster waiting to happen!!!

Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:03 pm

French governments have always been at beck and call of unions.. when have strikes fck all is done! If uk had same strikes police and laws intervene straight away? Can you see dover being blocked way Calais as has been? Now us time to bail out EU, a stark warning was given over several big EU countries having financial troubles which means problems for whole EU finances best get out while goings good..... :thumbright:

Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:47 pm

Think you mean gnats...
The French economy is shafted. The unions are small minded self interest groups who are destroying France. What that has to do with British workers I’m not sure.

Say Cyril lives until hes 90.. he will have been retired much longer than he was in work. It’s Abbott mathematics and the Corbyn money tree. And mugs believe it.

Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:00 pm

Bluebina wrote:

Lazy fuckers the French, they have been striking for years and the Country hasn't got a pot to piss in, I am so glad we are getting (hopefully) out of the EU it's a disaster waiting to happen!!!

Well said young man, the French are always on strike about something, the country is completely broke and virtually bankrupt

Macron is forever giving it the big I am, when in fact the reality is that is country his basically f****d

When we leave the EU the French economy is going to be the 2nd biggest in the EU which is very worrying for them

Tough times ahead for the rest of the EU, which would basically collapse overnight without being propped up by Germany

Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:17 pm

The Unions used to be very strong in the UK but then they took the piss,that’s why we no longer make cars any more,they forgot who pays the wages.

One of the reasons i voted Brexit was because the Southern European countries were retiring at 55 etc and we were looking at 68+ and they were contributing naff all,let em get on with it,the French deserve what they get.

Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:53 pm

Ninianman wrote:The Unions used to be very strong in the UK but then they took the piss,that’s why we no longer make cars any more,they forgot who pays the wages.

One of the reasons i voted Brexit was because the Southern European countries were retiring at 55 etc and we were looking at 68+ and they were contributing naff all,let em get on with it,the French deserve what they get.

Yes we help pay their early retirement and they are panicking if we leave because a safety net will be gone! :roll:

Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:27 pm

FIFTY.?
leave school buy a walking stick...

Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:47 am

Ninianman wrote:The Unions used to be very strong in the UK but then they took the piss,that’s why we no longer make cars any more,they forgot who pays the wages.

" They forgot who pays the wages ". Exactly the very dangerous position we're in currently. Corbyn gets elected on Thursday and private sector employment starts shrinking on Friday. We've been bumbling along with the Brexit uncertainty pretty much as usual but I'm already aware that the election of this Labour government will have a dire effect on next years orderbook. We cant all go and work in the public sector.

Corbyn reminds of a wages clerk I had 25 years ago. She said to me one day " this would be a great job if it wasn't for the men out on site " . Totally oblivious to the fact that if it wasn't for the men on site, there was no job.

Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:00 am

epping blue wrote:

" They forgot who pays the wages ". Exactly the very dangerous position we're in currently. Corbyn gets elected on Thursday and private sector employment starts shrinking on Friday. We've been bumbling along with the Brexit uncertainty pretty much as usual but I'm already aware that the election of this Labour government will have a dire effect on next years orderbook. We cant all go and work in the public sector.

Corbyn reminds of a wages clerk I had 25 years ago. She said to me one day " this would be a great job if it wasn't for the men out on site " . Totally oblivious to the fact that if it wasn't for the men on site, there was no job.

Oh and market forces can do more for British Workers than the unions could ever achieve. Its just that in the last 15 years we've let an over supply of labour has drastically limit their bargaining power. Its no surprise that as the numbers coming from Europe decrease the level of real wage rises increase, particularly at the lower end of the skill market.

Labour will bring a double whammy in this respect. A catastrophic collapse in private sector investment coupled with an inevitable loosening of any immigration constraints. Expect to see the numbers receiving at or near the minimum wage, fortunate to be working rise substantially.

Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:35 am

Public sector pensions have been the economic elephant in the room for decades. We simply cannot keep passing the burden onto future generations just so some paper shuffler in a non job can retire early.

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:40 pm

Well done all you previous posters.your absolutely correct. I know someone left an average public sector job at 55 100k payout and a fat pension for how ever long he lives. Who pays for that ?. FFS

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:05 pm

I retired at 55 with nhs pension and nowhere near 100 grand payout even after 25yrs service! Theses bumper payouts are for people on 60 grand a year? Big difference with public employees and civil servants (both public workers) when it comes to pensions. :thumbup:

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:16 pm

He was a public employee not a civil servant.i can assure you. Private sector employees have zero chance of ever attaining such payouts.its gone on for years.

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:43 pm

skiprat wrote:He was a public employee not a civil servant.i can assure you. Private sector employees have zero chance of ever attaining such payouts.its gone on for years.

I know a few people who have retired from TATA steel { ex british steel } huge pensions..

Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:51 pm

I agree we in the UK should never has allowed that we be forced to work until 67 its a crime

Funny all these countries say they haven't the money but they find billions to waste on over paid MPs to arrange millions for a visit for Trump and the other idiots who come here to meet the queen and other scroungers who take millions from the UK

Money is always found when the country need it so they should allow workers have their pensions at an age that is 60 not make women work 7 years longer for money they have paid in by themselves.

That is any of the parties all for themselves