" Capital punishment? "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Should the UK do capital punishment again for certain crimes?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes : 44

" Capital punishment? "

Postby worcester_ccfc » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:46 pm

That's our early debate tonight in the pub already!

Yes or no and why?

For me, it's a strong NO.

There is a very clear history of people wrongly being executed for crimes they didn't commit.

Opinions...
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

" Capital punishment? "

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " Capital punishment? "

Postby rumpo kid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:03 pm

True. There’s also many innocents murdered by people now on the streets. It’s a difficult one.
rumpo kid

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:38 pm

Wasn’t there a story about Thatcher pushing to bring it in during the 80s and the IRA responded by stating that they would ‘execute’ 2 people for every one of theirs that was executed.
Proof to me that it IS a deterrent.
For me it has to be beyond ANY doubt and a quick tablet rather than the long drawn out hanging / lethal injection process.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:09 pm

Tricky one as there are some people who I would love to have see hang for the pain they inflicted on others.

But ultimately, it's still a no for me.

It comes down to the question, how can we morally do something as a society that we think is the most heinous of crimes if it is done by an individual.

Prison sentences should be much harsher and prison life should be far less comfortable for murderers and rapists though.
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:23 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:Tricky one as there are some people who I would love to have see hang for the pain they inflicted on others.

It comes down to the question, how can we morally do something as a society that we think is the most heinous of crimes if it is done by an individual.

Prison sentences should be much harsher and prison life should be far less comfortable for murderers and rapists though.

I do see your points. Don’t you think it could also act as a deterrent though?
bluebirdoct1962

Postby thomasblue » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:46 pm

Yes

Paedophiles
Terrorists
Murderers

I would say it would have to be 100% undeniable guilt through DNA or CCTV coverage though.
thomasblue

Postby dogfound » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:07 pm

its a yes for me...
A} I think the vast majority of wrongly executed would not have been had the trials been now .
B} I know 4 men who have committed murder did their 10/12/15 years or whatever , come out and have a big chunk of life in front of them.
the families of the murdered never get over it , and of course the murdered persons life ended there and then..
dogfound

Postby rumpo kid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:50 pm

Obama sanctioned the killing of bin Laden although no case in law was ever made against him. If he had fought the Navy Seals, they were duty bound to take him as a prisoner. And as al Qaeda are a banned organisation, they were not engaged in armed conflict with the USA.
On top of that a sovereign state was violated. Even ban ki Mun was delighted. Obama is seen as a great man. Marine A not so.

An interesting point of law, or not at all in this case, and I'm sure there are counter arguments. We see his death as a positive, different view in the Muslim World. In this case society bypassed its abhorrence of the penalty.

Bridger and his ilk - gibbett on the Severn Bridge.
rumpo kid

Postby wez1927 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:05 pm

Yes but only for clear cut cases to many wrongly convicted people tho ,its difficult
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby boyo1927 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:18 am

thomasblue wrote:Yes

Paedophiles
Terrorists
Murderers

I would say it would have to be 100% undeniable guilt through DNA or CCTV coverage though.

Agree with this
boyo1927

Postby powysblue » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:37 am

I say a strong "NO"

BUT not for the reason that many are stating.

MAKE THEM SUFFER IT'S HARDER THAN DEATH.

This may sound harsh but I'm sure it would work.

If I was in Charge of the prison and Justice system and could pronounce ongoing policy (which will never happen).

Firstly we would get over the fact that prison is for Punishment and very rarely for rehabilitation (rehabilitation would come as "two strikes and your out" system before prison (with exception of murder or other terrible crimes) to give new criminals a chance to change their lives around as most prisoners are habitual offenders - they do not learn from prison).

Go into all prisons - get rid of all en-suite toilets (slopping out brought back), house cells of 4 (2 x bunks), High energy slop for food, no TV, No phones, No contact with family (maybe a USA screen and phone system).

In the courtyard of every prison dig up the concrete back down to soil.

From Monday to Friday ALL prisoners will dig a massive hole. Give them Sat/Sun Off to sit in cell and think about life, then next Monday to Friday ALL prisoners will fill the hole back in - and so on and so on, no matter of weather, sickness, etc, ALL will participate.

I'm sure after a couple of weeks most weekends will be filled with thoughts akin to "F-ck this, I never want to come back here again".

This would have a very REAL deterrent effect on prisoners and having the added effect of family, children, friends all being told "you never want to go inside, it's a hell hole". to lower prison population.

Then judges could shorten sentences. improve rehab with more money from tax savings.

I say we have to stop what is happening inside prisons with prisoners running prisons, chaos for prison officers, best food, TV in cell's, Mobile Phones, Drugs - TOO SOFT WE ARE.

I can here all the "Lilly Liver'd Liberals" now.

Of course this will never happen.
powysblue

Postby kimble » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:11 am

definite No...but make a life sentence for murder or whatever...MEAN life ............no parole.
kimble

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:42 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
ealing_ayatollah wrote:Tricky one as there are some people who I would love to have see hang for the pain they inflicted on others.

I do see your points. Don’t you think it could also act as a deterrent though?

Potentially yes it could act as a deterrent but it just comes down to being morally consistent for me.

That said, I admit it is a very tricky topic though and see the argument on both sides.
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:45 am

powysblue wrote:I say a strong "NO"

If I was in Charge of the prison and Justice system and could pronounce ongoing policy (which will never happen).

Firstly we would get over the fact that prison is for Punishment and very rarely for rehabilitation (rehabilitation would come as "two strikes and your out" system before prison (with exception of murder or other terrible crimes) to give new criminals a chance to change their lives around as most prisoners are habitual offenders - they do not learn from prison).

Go into all prisons - get rid of all en-suite toilets (slopping out brought back), house cells of 4 (2 x bunks), High energy slop for food, no TV, No phones, No contact with family (maybe a USA screen and phone system).

From Monday to Friday ALL prisoners will dig a massive hole. Give them Sat/Sun Off to sit in cell and think about life, then next Monday to Friday ALL prisoners will fill the hole back in - and so on and so on, no matter of weather, sickness, etc, ALL will participate.

I'm sure after a couple of weeks most weekends will be filled with thoughts akin to "F-ck this, I never want to come back here again".

This would have a very REAL deterrent effect on prisoners and having the added effect of family, children, friends all being told "you never want to go inside, it's a hell hole". to lower prison population.

Then judges could shorten sentences. improve rehab with more money from tax savings.

I say we have to stop what is happening inside prisons with prisoners running prisons, chaos for prison officers, best food, TV in cell's, Mobile Phones, Drugs - TOO SOFT WE ARE.

I agree with this. It'll never happen but it is what's needed to make prison an actual deterrent.
ealing_ayatollah

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:03 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:

I agree with this. It'll never happen but it is what's needed to make prison an actual deterrent.

Yup, me too.
But as you say, it’ll never happen.
Prisons would be bursting at the seams too.....unless the thought of jail would actually make people think again before committing any crime. :?:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby rumpo kid » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:02 am

Apart from the weather bit, you mean work for the council.
rumpo kid

Postby BlueVanman » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:33 pm

thomasblue wrote:Yes

Paedophiles
Terrorists
Murderers

Agree 100% with this
BlueVanman

Postby RV Casual » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:04 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:

Fantasy.

Prison is not an easy place to be, anyone who thinks that offenders are living a life of luxury are listening to the wrong people.

They are hard, unforgiving places
RV Casual

Postby theclaw » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:38 am

Isn’t this what most Terrorists idolise death,as posted above make them suffer.As for peados that’s a different case.Hang em.

Yes from me.
theclaw

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:55 am

RV Casual wrote:
ealing_ayatollah wrote:

Fantasy.

Prison is not an easy place to be, anyone who thinks that offenders are living a life of luxury are listening to the wrong people.

If that’s the case why are there so many Reoffenders mate?
bluebirdoct1962

Postby RV Casual » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:33 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
ealing_ayatollah wrote:

Fantasy.

If that’s the case why are there so many Reoffenders mate?

I just wrote out a 3 paragraph reply and closed the f*cking window by mistake :laughing5:

When I get chance mate, I'll drop you a PM
RV Casual

Postby noisycat » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:25 pm

Yes but only for those who are serial killers or terrorists who kill multiple people.
noisycat

Return to General Chat