Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City star Lee Tomlin declares Neil Warnock '

Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:55 pm

Cardiff City star Lee Tomlin declares Neil Warnock 'always had an excuse' for not picking him

The Bluebirds playmaker talks of his desperation to land a new contract and how Neil Harris is giving him the chance to showcase his skills

Lee Tomlin of of Cardiff City celebrates his goal
Lee Tomlin of of Cardiff City celebrates his goal (Image: Darren Griffiths/Huw Evans Agency)
The Bluebirds playmaker talks of his desperation to land a new contract and how Neil Harris is giving him the chance to showcase his skills

Lee Tomlin says he is desperate to sign a new Cardiff City contract after revealing he is now waking up with a smile on his face under new boss Neil Harris.

Tomlin endured a somewhat turbulent time of it under predecessor Neil Warnock, who, prior to this season, had played him only sparingly.

The playmaker has gone on to showcase some of his very best form so far this season and is relishing life under the new man in charge.

"Waking up in the morning and smiling makes you want to do well, not just for yourself but for everyone at the club", Tomlin says.

"It’s just much better."

In a searingly honest assessment of his time under Warnock, Tomlin says there always seemed to be an excuse not to play him.

Much to the player's annoyance, when Warnock did start him, he continued to bring him off after the hour mark despite the player's fitness boost over the summer.

But, having played his first full league match against Nottingham Forest at the weekend, Tomlin believes that's symptomatic of how the different way he is viewed by the current manager.

"For me, deep down you knew you weren’t getting picked," Tomlin said of his time under Warnock.

"There was always an excuse against me. That’s fine, everyone has got their own opinions.

"It’s not for me to argue with people, I feel like people listen to the reasons why. Not fit, not this, not that.

"If that’s what people want to believe because that’s what the gaffer said then that’s fine. I know myself, you can’t get unfitter by losing two stone. That’s a fact.

"I’ve worked so hard and now it’s unbelievable."

Rewind back to the summer and it looked as though Tomlin had no future in the Welsh capital, destined to be shipped out either in the summer or in January.

Since then, he has gone from outcast to one of the first names on the team sheet, having lost more than two stone and feeling the fittest he ever has in his career.

Lee Tomlin of Cardiff City charges forward (Image: Huw Evans Picture Agency)
He is in the gym an hour and a half before the other players arrive to get that extra bit of fitness in to ensure no stone is left unturned.

Tomlin's contract, however, is set to run out at the end of the season.

After growing to become one of the most important attacking players in the squad and fans are desperate to see him sign fresh terms - and so is Tomlin.

"I’ve got no reason to leave," Tomlin said of his future. "At the start of the season I said that I don’t want to leave.

"I feel now is when I feel like my contract should have started. I’m ready to go.

"I feel like a new player at the club but I know everything around it. I’m just excited.

"It’s a no-brainer for me. I’ve always wanted to stay but that’s not up to me.

"That will be with the manager, chairman and chief executive. If you want that to happen, that will happen."

Re: Cardiff City star Lee Tomlin declares Neil Warnock '

Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:24 pm

Lee Tomlin's comments were very interesting earlier, Annis.

Clearly feels a lot happier with Harris as manager.

Seems he believes that the previous manager wasn't fair.

I'm not a Warnock fan at all, so I'll be biased when I say that Tomlin is probably right - there are two sides to every story.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:35 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Lee Tomlin's comments were very interesting earlier, Annis.

I'm not a Warnock fan at all, so I'll be biased when I say that Tomlin is probably right - there are two sides to every story.

Tbf LT was quite fair on his assessment of his time under NW.
he clearly is relishing his new lease of life and long may it continue.
Incidentally, I just watched NMLs goal v Forest again and when LT had the ball around the area before laying the ball off there were 3-4 Forest players being pulled around and you could see the panic in their faces.
We currently have no other player here who can have that effect on a game...particularly important when our strikers aren’t exactly pulling up trees in the scoring department.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:36 pm

Tomlin has the x factor amongst our squad. He always tries hard and is always respectful to the fans. If Harris is happy with him then it's a no brainer for me. Renew his contract

Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:36 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Lee Tomlin's comments were very interesting earlier, Annis.

Tbf LT was quite fair on his assessment of his time under NW.
he clearly is relishing his new lease of life and long may it continue.
Incidentally, I just watched NMLs goal v Forest again and when LT had the ball around the area before laying the ball off there were 3-4 Forest players being pulled around and you could see the panic in their faces.
We currently have no other player here who can have that effect on a game...particularly important when our strikers aren’t exactly pulling up trees in the scoring department.

It seems a no brainier re his contract renewal but a sticking point could be the wages that he’s currently on.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:37 pm

Mad to believe that his contract ends so shortly and to date he has had very little impact... hopefully the flashes we have seen will become more regular and if so I would probably give him another deal... but no surprise he wants a new contract given what else would be on the table for him.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:47 pm

BarryWelsh88 wrote:Mad to believe that his contract ends so shortly and to date he has had very little impact... hopefully the flashes we have seen will become more regular and if so I would probably give him another deal... but no surprise he wants a new contract given what else would be on the table for him.

yes was thinking this myself..

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:48 pm

BarryWelsh88 wrote:Mad to believe that his contract ends so shortly and to date he has had very little impact... hopefully the flashes we have seen will become more regular and if so I would probably give him another deal... but no surprise he wants a new contract given what else would be on the table for him.

That’s because he wasn’t played by warnock anywhere near enough as he should have been. He’s earned us quite a few points this season and in the season we got promoted. Tomlin is the most technically gifted player in the squad and offers something different. As mentioned above when he’s on the ball he draws players in which creates space for others

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:40 pm

He's played really well lately but should never of been in the situation of needing to lose 2 stone.

He's 31 in January so needs play like he has been for the rest of the season to get an extension IMO

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:47 pm

Interesting what he said about Warnock trying to stop certain players rather than working as a team. I think Warnock did this far to often especially against the bigger teams or important games.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:55 pm

Escott1927 wrote:

That’s because he wasn’t played by warnock anywhere near enough as he should have been. He’s earned us quite a few points this season and in the season we got promoted. Tomlin is the most technically gifted player in the squad and offers something different. As mentioned above when he’s on the ball he draws players in which creates space for others

he went on loan twice and didn't pull any trees up, and anyone that hasn't thought at some point. overweight. blowing out of his behind. painfully slow or all 3 hasn't got a very good memory.. yes he is going through a purple patch TWO STONE LIGHTER. but Bristol City fans will tell you they've seen this too... hope he keeps his current form up but history throws doubt.
btw.. Warnock wasn't Bournemouths manager when they got shot after 6 games. or Brisols manager when the weight crept up and the form dropped down there and THEIR technically gifted playmaker played less and less.
should be saying these things after 36 decent performances not after 6

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:04 pm

Tomlin was so over weight even at loan in a lower league he didn't do a lot, but he has lost 2 stone and worked hard last summer so deserves a chance but his weight and he was in trouble with the law I think Warnock lost faith in him lets hope he doesn't let Harris down

Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:54 am

The reasons why he never played because he was unfit overweight and at times looked like a beer barrel and this is coming from someone who actually likes Tomlin when he is fit. He can’t blame being unfit and fat on Warnock. Sorry but that is bollocks.
He has to take responsibility for his own fitness. He didn’t really shine when he went on loan either.
He came back lean this season but after half a game he was running out of steam.
Come on Tomlin get your head down and do yourself Justice now. Because your past have been your fault not Warnock or other managers.

Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:25 am

Comfort Zone.

End of contract nears and reality of his wasted talents dawns on him.
I don't doubt for a minute Sir Neil didnt make him feel loved as he is not a typical Warnock player and Sir Neil holds player grudges well, but LT does need to look at himself.

Its December and he still can't give team 90 minutes but he is hugely effective for 60 and we will only be better the more LT plays. Completely agree that he needs to deliver over an extended period to justify further contract. But let's hope that happens as it will be a win win for everyone including Harris

Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:07 am

I don't think he will stay, Harris initial reaction was to go with Patterson but soon realised we lacked going forward. I think our poor transfer window and lack of options in that position makes starting Tomlin a nessesity really.

Personally think he will be moved on, off the wage bill and Harris will bring in his own player for that position.

Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:10 am

Just sounds like another player that fails to understand that what happens in their career is 99% their responsibility and due to their actions. The top professionals get this from the get go, the contenders or "could have beens" don't get it or realise it too late. With a cynical hat on, he is looking for a new contract, so will obviously say, that he is a changed man, yet so often, the player gets the new contract and slips back into the bad habits. I would say, out of these types of players, Bellamy, probably is an example of a player that was able to make those changes and stick to them, so it does happen.

Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:32 am

Leytonstoneblue wrote:Just sounds like another player that fails to understand that what happens in their career is 99% their responsibility and due to their actions. The top professionals get this from the get go, the contenders or "could have beens" don't get it or realise it too late. With a cynical hat on, he is looking for a new contract, so will obviously say, that he is a changed man, yet so often, the player gets the new contract and slips back into the bad habits. I would say, out of these types of players, Bellamy, probably is an example of a player that was able to make those changes and stick to them, so it does happen.

Spot on

Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:39 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Comfort Zone.

I don't doubt for a minute Sir Neil didnt make him feel loved as he is not a typical Warnock player and Sir Neil holds player grudges well, but LT does need to look at himself.

Its December and he still can't give team 90 minutes but he is hugely effective for 60 and we will only be better the more LT plays. Completely agree that he needs to deliver over an extended period to justify further contract. But let's hope that happens as it will be a win win for everyone including Harris

the question is. which none of us really know the answer to . is he really a changed man...or someone in the last year of a lucrative 3 year contract that he would like to renew while being fully aware other clubs were not falling over themselves to sign him over the last 2 seasons..
not sure where you get the player grudges from...it rarely happens in football and if your looking for THE best example of a manager not holding a grudge its NW and the signing a sewer rat episode that springs to mind..
shoving sir neil in posts then aiming unfair rubbish at NW don't wash mate..

Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:36 am

I’m sure he can do 90 now but tactically shoring up midfield could be the reason for subbing rather than fitness.

Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:38 am

dogfound wrote:

the question is. which none of us really know the answer to . is he really a changed man...or someone in the last year of a lucrative 3 year contract that he would like to renew while being fully aware other clubs were not falling over themselves to sign him over the last 2 seasons..
not sure where you get the player grudges from...it rarely happens in football and if your looking for THE best example of a manager not holding a grudge its NW and the signing a sewer rat episode that springs to mind..
shoving sir neil in posts then aiming unfair rubbish at NW don't wash mate..

I understand that it’s an optional one year extension that runs on from his 3 year deal that ends in the summer.
That’s Much less of a risk imo

Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:45 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I’m sure he can do 90 now but tactically shoring up midfield could be the reason for subbing rather than fitness.

I hope you are right. But from what I've witnessed LT reaches his limit and its ineffectiveness for a spell that leads to him coming off. Not saying his replacement isn't on to shore up but if LT could last the 90 we would keep the ball better, get higher up the pitch and turn 1 nil to 2 nil on occasion. Stoke at home prime example. Paterson for Tomlin for last 15 can't possibly make us stronger. Also reduces managers other sub options when it's known LT will make way at some stage.

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:19 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I hope you are right. But from what I've witnessed LT reaches his limit and its ineffectiveness for a spell that leads to him coming off. Not saying his replacement isn't on to shore up but if LT could last the 90 we would keep the ball better, get higher up the pitch and turn 1 nil to 2 nil on occasion. Stoke at home prime example. Paterson for Tomlin for last 15 can't possibly make us stronger. Also reduces managers other sub options when it's known LT will make way at some stage.

I agree there mate.
I'd say maybe Vaulks to come on maybe or (when Ralls is back) either Ralls or Bacuna

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:34 am

No point blaming other people if you are overweight and unfit. Easy enough to do, I suppose I could blame Brains Brewery and McDonalds for some of my problems, but deep down, I know it's probably not their fault I am out of shape.

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:49 am

If there is ever a choice who I back between Neil Warnock and Lee Tomlin it’s Warnock every day. Tomlin wasn’t fit, wasn’t functioning to the best of his ability and certainly wasn’t earning the alleged 20k a week he was on.

He still isn’t worth that and at the age of 31 I wouldn’t automatically renew on the option unless Tomlin keeps his recent form up. I am sceptical whether he will.

What I certainly don’t appreciate is a sly dig at our best ever manager. Hopefully Bamba will put one on him in training for that.

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:50 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:No point blaming other people if you are overweight and unfit. Easy enough to do, I suppose I could blame Brains Brewery and McDonalds for some of my problems, but deep down, I know it's probably not their fault I am out of shape.

:mrgreen: :occasion5:
I didn't see that he blamed anyone for that though, Think he was saying that even when he was fit, he was overlooked. TBF LT was very complimentary of NW when he had his 'demons'

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:28 pm

You mention 'demons'. Quite right. Tomlin has had well publicised mental illness which undoubtedly would have affected his overall well-being and ability to stay in peak condition.
He's at his best now and is our most creative midfielder. I hope the form continues.

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:36 pm

Tuna Pasta Bake wrote:You mention 'demons'. Quite right. Tomlin has had well publicised mental illness which undoubtedly would have affected his overall well-being and ability to stay in peak condition.
He's at his best now and is our most creative midfielder. I hope the form continues.

I hope his best is yet to come I would hope what he have seen so far is far from his best

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:38 pm

Great ability but poor application at times....think he’s being / been honest about his fitness etc so good that he’s got a new lease of life cos he can do stuff none of our other players can do.
Similar to Bobby Reid in that Warnock never really fancied either player so they never got a run of starts ...

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Blueman39 wrote:Great ability but poor application at times....think he’s being / been honest about his fitness etc so good that he’s got a new lease of life cos he can do stuff none of our other players can do.
Similar to Bobby Reid in that Warnock never really fancied either player so they never got a run of starts ...

Spot on.

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:59 pm

dogfound wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

he went on loan twice and didn't pull any trees up, and anyone that hasn't thought at some point. overweight. blowing out of his behind. painfully slow or all 3 hasn't got a very good memory.. yes he is going through a purple patch TWO STONE LIGHTER. but Bristol City fans will tell you they've seen this too... hope he keeps his current form up but history throws doubt.
btw.. Warnock wasn't Bournemouths manager when they got shot after 6 games. or Brisols manager when the weight crept up and the form dropped down there and THEIR technically gifted playmaker played less and less.
should be saying these things after 36 decent performances not after 6

So why did Warnock sign him then? He was his no.1 target after all, apparently. If you know that he's had issues at those clubs then so did Warnock. I could see he was clearly overweight from the stands. It was Warnock's decision to spend £3mill on a player who was clearly not fit enough to play football at this level and has had issues at previous clubs. The first few seasons he was not fit enough to play, that's completely Tomlins fault and no one else. The minimum requirement for a footballer should be that he is fit enough to play 90mins of football and he simply wasn't and didnt deserve to be playing for us. But it was Warnocks choice not to play him this season when he was TWO STONE LIGHTER. Do you think his fitness levels miraculously improved in the space of a week when Harris joined? Tomlin was fit enough to regularly play when Warnock was here he just wasn't picked. With the exception of the Fulham game, every time I have seen Tomlin play this season he has played well yet Warnock opted to stick with an out of form and unfit/overweight Patterson - pretty ironic really.

I know you won't agree as you seem to think Warnock is above any sort of criticism but the football we were playing under him this season was horrible to watch and Tomlin was the only person in the team capable of providing that cutting edge that we were clearly lacking. The underlying fact here is that Tomlin is another player on an expensive list of players signed by Warnock who have not regularly played.