Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

OFF TOPIC - Help settling an argument

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:57 pm

Me and my mate got into an argument today about how successful Amazon Prime would be if they were to broadcast every single Premier league game. My argument was that it's pointless to show them all at the same time because as a neutral if you were to go on amazon today to watch some football 95% of people would have tuned into the Utd v spurs game as opposed to the Southampton v Norwich game. He said it would be worth it because fans of Norwich and Southampton would bump the views up. I personally believe that views for clubs that are of the same size of these would hardly scratch the surface for a big company like Amazon, BT, Sky etc compared to what viewing numbers would be for the Top 6 games. We went into costs to broadcasting every match live and got technical with Punditry costs, media, cameramen and this is how we dumbed it down... He said if a shop was to only sell Mars bars (just show the utd game) he wouldn't make as much as a shop selling both Mars and Snicker Bars (showing every single game). I said it's all about what's in demand, if you were to deliver a van full of Mars and Snickers and A shop in Norwich wants 50 bars, Southampton want 60 bars, Watford 40 bars but Manchester want 500 bars (bars are counted as "viewers" here lol) then surely you'll put all the money for petrol (media, cameraman, pundits) into delivering them Bars to Manchester? And deliveries to Norwich, Watford and Southampton just simply wouldn't be worth it. If anyone can actually make sense of what we're trying to say I'd not only be surprised but very grateful too! This argument is getting the better of me! Thanks in advance.

Re: OFF TOPIC - Help settling an argument

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:02 pm

I understand the points made. But you need to factor in crisps too. And whether they be just Walkers or other brands and flavours.

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:04 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:I understand the points made. But you need to factor in crisps too. And whether they be just Walkers or other brands and flavours.

Every single type will be available, but to a much lesser demand compared to the bigger brands. There's a also a wide range of cakes available.

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:09 pm

I can see both sides of the story. But neither are valid as the PL themselves dictate how many games can be shown live. And they then sell the rights off to the highest bidder.

Although if amazon wanted to do this outside of the UK for their customers I think they would make an load of money by showing every game over just a select few. For example tonight as you said the majority would be watching United vs Spurs, yet you also had Liverpool vs Everton (derby game plus league leaders) and Chelsea another big club of the last few years. So on a worldwide scale they would be worth showing. So you couldn’t just show 1 game as you are losing the potential of millions of viewers. I’d go off the fact that on a Friday night if there’s a championship game on I’ll tend to watch it, but I wouldn’t plan my night around it or move plans to suit. Yet if it was Cardiff on TV and I couldn’t make the game I’d plan my night around that. And that would go for the rest of the world I’d imagine.

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:18 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:I can see both sides of the story. But neither are valid as the PL themselves dictate how many games can be shown live. And they then sell the rights off to the highest bidder.

Although if amazon wanted to do this outside of the UK for their customers I think they would make an load of money by showing every game over just a select few. For example tonight as you said the majority would be watching United vs Spurs, yet you also had Liverpool vs Everton (derby game plus league leaders) and Chelsea another big club of the last few years. So on a worldwide scale they would be worth showing. So you couldn’t just show 1 game as you are losing the potential of millions of viewers. I’d go off the fact that on a Friday night if there’s a championship game on I’ll tend to watch it, but I wouldn’t plan my night around it or move plans to suit. Yet if it was Cardiff on TV and I couldn’t make the game I’d plan my night around that. And that would go for the rest of the world I’d imagine.

I agree with everything you've said I believe Chelsea, utd, Liverpool are 100% worth showing but we were comparing it too the lot lesser and smaller fan based teams like Norwhich, Bournemouth would they be worth it? It was also about who makes more money with how they do it Sky showing the 4 or 5 big games every weekend which they normally do or Amazon showing every single game?

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:19 pm

Jimmy Floyd wrote:Me and my mate got into an argument today about how successful Amazon Prime would be if they were to broadcast every single Premier league game. My argument was that it's pointless to show them all at the same time because as a neutral if you were to go on amazon today to watch some football 95% of people would have tuned into the Utd v spurs game as opposed to the Southampton v Norwich game. He said it would be worth it because fans of Norwich and Southampton would bump the views up. I personally believe that views for clubs that are of the same size of these would hardly scratch the surface for a big company like Amazon, BT, Sky etc compared to what viewing numbers would be for the Top 6 games. We went into costs to broadcasting every match live and got technical with Punditry costs, media, cameramen and this is how we dumbed it down... He said if a shop was to only sell Mars bars (just show the utd game) he wouldn't make as much as a shop selling both Mars and Snicker Bars (showing every single game). I said it's all about what's in demand, if you were to deliver a van full of Mars and Snickers and A shop in Norwich wants 50 bars, Southampton want 60 bars, Watford 40 bars but Manchester want 500 bars (bars are counted as "viewers" here lol) then surely you'll put all the money for petrol (media, cameraman, pundits) into delivering them Bars to Manchester? And deliveries to Norwich, Watford and Southampton just simply wouldn't be worth it. If anyone can actually make sense of what we're trying to say I'd not only be surprised but very grateful too! This argument is getting the better of me! Thanks in advance.

when Mars got the contracts for delivering 8 zillion mars bars to Tesco, asda, Sainsbury, morrisons etc..they continued to send reps to Dais papershop to do counter displays for his one box a week....
not that its the same thing...
I think there is too much on the box.. the red button on midweek championship games is hammering the actual attendances.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:00 am

dogfound wrote:
Jimmy Floyd wrote:Me and my mate got into an argument today about how successful Amazon Prime would be if they were to broadcast every single Premier league game. My argument was that it's pointless to show them all at the same time because as a neutral if you were to go on amazon today to watch some football 95% of people would have tuned into the Utd v spurs game as opposed to the Southampton v Norwich game. He said it would be worth it because fans of Norwich and Southampton would bump the views up. I personally believe that views for clubs that are of the same size of these would hardly scratch the surface for a big company like Amazon, BT, Sky etc compared to what viewing numbers would be for the Top 6 games. We went into costs to broadcasting every match live and got technical with Punditry costs, media, cameramen and this is how we dumbed it down... He said if a shop was to only sell Mars bars (just show the utd game) he wouldn't make as much as a shop selling both Mars and Snicker Bars (showing every single game). I said it's all about what's in demand, if you were to deliver a van full of Mars and Snickers and A shop in Norwich wants 50 bars, Southampton want 60 bars, Watford 40 bars but Manchester want 500 bars (bars are counted as "viewers" here lol) then surely you'll put all the money for petrol (media, cameraman, pundits) into delivering them Bars to Manchester? And deliveries to Norwich, Watford and Southampton just simply wouldn't be worth it. If anyone can actually make sense of what we're trying to say I'd not only be surprised but very grateful too! This argument is getting the better of me! Thanks in advance.

when Mars got the contracts for delivering 8 zillion mars bars to Tesco, asda, Sainsbury, morrisons etc..they continued to send reps to Dais papershop to do counter displays for his one box a week....
I think there is too much on the box.. the red button on midweek championship games is hammering the actual attendances.

I agree dogfound. The screening of live games at 3pm on a Saturday to overseas markets is all well and good but direct clashes with midweek fixtures and fans being able to dip in to their own teams matches on the red button has to be detrimental to attendances and then to atmosphere and ultimately then to peoples habits.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:41 am

The more they put on the more people would watch, there are people who wouldn't go to the Norwich game and would instead watch it on TV. They could just dumb down the presenters and pundits like they do with Gabidon and James Collins.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:02 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I agree dogfound. The screening of live games at 3pm on a Saturday to overseas markets is all well and good but direct clashes with midweek fixtures and fans being able to dip in to their own teams matches on the red button has to be detrimental to attendances and then to atmosphere and ultimately then to peoples habits.

if you include red button games its 9 this season so far. its too many.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:44 am

Bluebina wrote:The more they put on the more people would watch, there are people who wouldn't go to the Norwich game and would instead watch it on TV. They could just dumb down the presenters and pundits like they do with Gabidon and James Collins.

I understand that but I just personally believe it wouldn't be worth the effort. I think a lot more goes into it than just pundits.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:55 am

Jimmy Floyd wrote:
Bluebina wrote:The more they put on the more people would watch, there are people who wouldn't go to the Norwich game and would instead watch it on TV. They could just dumb down the presenters and pundits like they do with Gabidon and James Collins.

I understand that but I just personally believe it wouldn't be worth the effort. I think a lot more goes into it than just pundits.

it comes down to how much they are paying for the product..
maybe its a case of { hypothetical figures } 100k to televise man u or 150k to have all 6 games..
sport is quite cheap to cover , its the broadcasting rights that push it up.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:58 pm

surely the apparent sucess of it should make the Premier League consider setting up its own Netflix style streaming service. I know Simon Jordan has talked about it before.

The Premier League is getting about 8BN every three years at the moment, Charging what? lets say 15 quid a month? theyd need only about 15m subscribers worldwide (netflix has 160m) to break even.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:39 pm

paulh_85 wrote:surely the apparent sucess of it should make the Premier League consider setting up its own Netflix style streaming service. I know Simon Jordan has talked about it before.

The Premier League is getting about 8BN every three years at the moment, Charging what? lets say 15 quid a month? theyd need only about 15m subscribers worldwide (netflix has 160m) to break even.

Yes, Simon Jordan was talking about this yesterday. Makes great sense in theory. Would also give them complete control over fixtures, times, etc.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:08 pm

One thing to bear in mind with Amazon is that time and time again they've launched something as a loss leader to grab market share and then they tend to expand into either the number one or number two player in the market place.

They did it with the kindle, they did it with Prime, they did it with Amazon WEB services and they did it with Alexa.

They've consistently put out cheap but high quality products and often run those at a loss for quite some time to simply kill off the competition in the space.

It's a smart tactic if you've got pockets deep enough to get away with it, which Bezos obviously does.

If I was in the top brass of Sky Sports right now I'd be tricking it. Amazon do fail occasionally but not very often and it sounds like they are disrupting yet another market by streaming all games simultaneously.