Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The nine Cardiff City players who could leave

Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:47 pm

The nine Cardiff City players who could leave for next to nothing in the January transfer window

The Bluebirds will have to tie a few of these players, including some star names, down to a new contract or risk losing them for a small fee in the New Year

By Glen Williams

Wednesday 4th December 2019

The Bluebirds will have to tie a few of these players, including some star names, down to a new contract or risk losing them for a small fee in the New Year

While many Cardiff City supporters will hope the New Year brings with it a whole lot of positive January recruitment news, it is likely we will see more outgoings than incomings.

Bluebirds boss Neil Harris has already stated he believes the squad is too big and it will have to be streamlined before he is able to bolster the ranks with his own players.

And with a number of top players hurtling towards the end of their contracts, many would prove incredibly shrewd signings for rival clubs in the January transfer window.

Harris will have to suss out quickly the players he wants to keep at the club in order to keep potential suitors at bay when the window opens in a little over three weeks' time.

We've taken a look at the players who, as things stand, are coming to the end of their contracts this season. It includes some star names, a few rising stars and others whose spells in the Welsh capital have been blighted by injury – but will they all still be at Cardiff City Stadium at the end of next month?

Lee Tomlin?

One of the Bluebirds' best players this season, the only player in Harris' squad with flair in abundance and an eye for a killer pass.

He has been instrumental in creating and scoring goals this season and despite being relatively out of favour under previous boss Neil Warnock, the new manager appears to have placed his faith in him and Tomlin is flourishing under the responsibility.

Will surely be offered fresh terms in the not-so-distant future.

Lee Peltier

The right back has been solid as a rock and has arguably turned out his best performances this season in the three games under Harris.

He turns 33 next week, however, and while he is one of the real leaders in the squad, the new boss has spoken highly both of the returning Jazz Richards and academy prospect Cameron Coxe.

If City do not rush to offer a new deal, you can't help but think what a great, cheap signing this would be for any other Championship club – either in January or on a free in the summer.

Danny Ward

The striker has enjoyed a small renaissance this season.

His time in the Welsh capital has been plagued with injury, but he was City's in-form striker just a few short weeks ago when he scored three goals in three games.

However, it looks as though Harris is keen to afford Gary Madine the chance to really make that striker spot his own, while also talking up the chances of Robert Glatzel's inclusion this weekend.

It hasn't quite worked out for Ward at Cardiff, for one reason or another, and it is thought that the striking department needs to be slimmed down next month.

Sol Bamba

The talismanic Sol Bamba is out of contract next summer and he is at something of a crossroads.

He has been handed just a couple of minutes of football since March owing to that horrendous ACL injury and has already raced through his coaching badges.

The centre back turns 35 in January and although he is champing at the bit to get back on the pitch, the likes of Curtis Nelson, Aden Flint and Sean Morrison are in front of him in the current pecking order.

It is difficult to see Bamba seeking employment elsewhere as a player, however a position on the club's coaching staff when he does decide to hang up his boots would be a brilliant option for all.

Matthew Connolly

It's been a torrid few months for Matthew Connolly and there looks to be very little light at the end of the tunnel.

The 32-year-old has undergone two ankle operations in the last few months and, while in rehabilitation, he has slipped down to the bottom of the pack.

It is an area in which the Bluebirds are incredibly well stocked and as such it doesn't appear likely there will be a future for him at the club.

That said, however, Connolly, at 32, would represent a brilliant signing for a lower Championship club or even a top League One side and would likely set them back only a nominal fee.

It would be great to see him playing regularly again at the back end of the season, wherever that may be.

Jazz Richards

Under Warnock, you got the feeling that Jazz Richards' days at Cardiff City were numbered.

But having taken note of Harris's comments in recent weeks, the Wales international is rated extremely highly by the new manager.

Harris is desperate to have Richards back fit and would love to see him really challenge Peltier for the right-back berth. Harris called Richards an "outstanding" player last weekend and has also said he is one of the best in the division in his position.

The change of manager looks to have turned Richards' fortunes around. He now needs to work his way back to full fitness, which surely can't be more than a week or two away, and really stake a claim for that right-back spot.

Otherwise, if he stays fit, he would be a tremendous signing for any Championship club in January.

Omar Bogle

Another who is likely to fall victim to Harris' January cull.

Warnock himself was surprised at how hard Omar Bogle had worked to get back into the reckoning this season, given how far away he was from being a first-team regular last season, but the forward department needs an overhaul.

It was telling that Harris jettisoned Bogle from the squad against Nottingham Forest last weekend as soon as Ward's suspension had been served and he is likely to drop only further down the pecking order when Robert Glatzel is reintroduced.

Clubs will likely be aware of his situation and it will be no surprise if he is snapped up in January.

Aaron Bolger

The Cardiff City Under-23s captain, at just 19, has shown great promise for the young Bluebirds.

The central midfielder looks calm on the ball and possesses a composure beyond his years. But with Marlon Pack, Leandro Bacuna, Will Vaulks and Joe Ralls ahead of him – will he be given the chance?

He is too promising a talent to let go next month, though.

The best course of action would to be offer a new deal and send him out on loan to gain some real first-team experience.

Ciaron Brown

Ciaron Brown is a youngster who has shown vast improvement over the last six months, but once again his path to the first team is blocked by the likes of Morrison, Nelson, Flint and Bamba.

His talent was recognised by Northern Ireland boss Michael O'Neill, however, who handed him his first international cap in September, having been impressed by him in training.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The nine Cardiff City players who could leave

Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:48 pm

1. Neil Etheridge
2. Lee Peltier
3. Joe Bennett
4. Sean Morrison (C)
5. Aden Flint
6. Will Vaulks
7. Leandro Bacuna
8. Joe Ralls
9. Robert Glatzel
10.Isaac Vassell
11. Josh Murphy
12. Alex Smithies
13. Callum Paterson
15. Marlon Pack
16. Curtis Nelson
17. Lee Tomlin
19. Nathaniel Mendez-Laing
20. Gavin Whyte
21. Jazz Richards
22. Sol Bamba
23. Danny Ward
24. Gary Madine
25. Joe Day
27. Omar Bogle
30. Ciaron Brown
31. Aaron Bolger
33. Junior Hoilett

Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:40 pm

All of those will be gone next summer if not before. Except Peltier I think, who will be released but probably offered another deal, and the younger ones. But Ward, Bogle, Connolly, Richards, Tomlin and Bamba will all go. And put won't be much of a loss either, just free up wages for some decent players. Connolly and Bamba have been good servants to the club but injuries and age have taken their toll. Whereas Ward, Bogle, Richards and Tomlin have contributed very little in the nearly 3 years they've been here.

Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:44 pm

valleymodeller wrote:All of those will be gone next summer if not before. Except Peltier I think, who will be released but probably offered another deal, and the younger ones. But Ward, Bogle, Connolly, Richards, Tomlin and Bamba will all go. And put won't be much of a loss either, just free up wages for some decent players. Connolly and Bamba have been good servants to the club but injuries and age have taken their toll. Whereas Ward, Bogle, Richards and Tomlin have contributed very little in the nearly 3 years they've been here.

Tomlin doing ok now given chance :thumbup:

Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:07 pm

valleymodeller wrote:All of those will be gone next summer if not before. Except Peltier I think, who will be released but probably offered another deal, and the younger ones. But Ward, Bogle, Connolly, Richards, Tomlin and Bamba will all go. And put won't be much of a loss either, just free up wages for some decent players. Connolly and Bamba have been good servants to the club but injuries and age have taken their toll. Whereas Ward, Bogle, Richards and Tomlin have contributed very little in the nearly 3 years they've been here.

Ward was doing OK, before ban,and I hope we can offer sol a place in the coaching set up,perhaps with the academy.tomlin I believe,it's up to him,neil Harris thinks a lot of him,perhaps he can stay fit in lose season,would like to see him firing on all four cylinders, so up to him I suppose,we need a creative midfielder,why go spending on something we already have? :old: :bluebird:

Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:15 pm

All will go apart from Bolger I believe, NH will need to free up wages for new players, 6 out with 3 in.

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:14 pm

Surely we would keep Ward even if as a backup striker which he was originally bought as... getting rid of him and keeping Tomlin who has not contributed a 10th as much as Ward has would be criminal

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:31 pm

Bamba was given a three year contract by NW about 8 months after he arrived so I don’t think this is accurate.

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:19 pm

Keep Tomlin, ward, peltier, bolger, brown.

Move Bamba to coaching staff.

Thank the others for their time and let them go.

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:09 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Tomlin doing ok now given chance :thumbup:

He's 31 next month, barely played for us in 2 and a half seasons, can rarely last 90 minutes, and is not going to get any quicker. And he's supposedly on high wages. So we could probably get two players in for the same outlay.

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:40 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:Keep Tomlin, ward, peltier, bolger, brown.

you cant just let them go. they have contracts,
I don't get the article tbh. there has to be interest from another club

Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:32 am

Thus was a massive back page headline in the Echo. Why would anyone spend 80p on the shite when you can buy 4 toilet rolls for same cost.

No idea what "next to nothing" means but certainly doesn't apply to Jazz and Connolly who have been stealing their wages for doing nothing for seasons. I'm sure clubs will be queing up in January and there will be outrage in our fan base that they've been allowed to leave.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:22 am

dogfound wrote:

Yeah, always makes me laugh when people come on say get rid of this player or that player like you’d just pop an advert on Shpock.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:51 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Yeah, always makes me laugh when people come on say get rid of this player or that player like you’d just pop an advert on Shpock.

at the end of the day ,if you need reduce the wage bill by trimming down the squad { not that I can see it overly bloated } and no one is interested in the half dozen youd most like shot of ,but are interested in a couple a bit further up the ladder. im afraid your stuck with those half dozen and selling the 2 of more use...
bit concerning tbh..between this and the academy wishful thinking article..

Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:23 am

dogfound wrote:
dogfound wrote:

at the end of the day ,if you need reduce the wage bill by trimming down the squad { not that I can see it overly bloated } and no one is interested in the half dozen youd most like shot of ,but are interested in a couple a bit further up the ladder. im afraid your stuck with those half dozen and selling the 2 of more use...

Well put. Very wishful thinking indeed. Not sure why WoL thinking January window any different to summer or last January. The dead wood available then and still on our books.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:10 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:
dogfound wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Well put. Very wishful thinking indeed. Not sure why WoL thinking January window any different to summer or last January. The dead wood available then and still on our books.

to be fair those who haven't played are either kids or injured...I don't see the bloated squad thing at all...
Harris used 29 players last season...the list here names 27...of which 2 are kids yet to make lge debuts...3 goalkeeprs .. and bamba, vassell, connolly and jaz who have all hardly played { through injury }..i honestly don't see much dead wood as everyone fit seems to be involved..

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:55 am

dogfound wrote:
dogfound wrote:
dogfound wrote:

to be fair those who haven't played are either kids or injured...I don't see the bloated squad thing at all...
Harris used 29 players last season...the list here names 27...of which 2 are kids yet to make lge debuts...3 goalkeeprs .. and bamba, vassell, connolly and jaz who have all hardly played { through injury }..i honestly don't see much dead wood as everyone fit seems to be involved..

The list is missing Cunningham, Connelly ,Traore and Brian Murphy (GK) that’s 31 too many as Harris said! He apparently used a lot of Academy players at Millwall, and if he used 29 that’s in a whole season not half way through? Why do we need 4 goalkeepers when our best Academy player has been loaned out to Barry Town and you can loan a keeper if one is injured? Why do we need five strikers when we only play 1, Six Centre Backs? As as been said,We’ve an unbalanced squad!

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:09 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:
dogfound wrote:
dogfound wrote:
dogfound wrote:

The list is missing Cunningham, Connelly ,Traore and Brian Murphy (GK) that’s 31 too many as Harris said! He apparently used a lot of Academy players at Millwall, and if he used 29 that’s in a whole season not half way through? Why do we need 4 goalkeepers when our best Academy player has been loaned out to Barry Town and you can loan a keeper if one is injured? Why do we need five strikers when we only play 1, Six Centre Backs? As as been said,We’ve an unbalanced squad!

im aware that the 29 is a whole season but its not like there are too many we can use that we have not so far...Cunningham is away for the season..traore and murphy are here short term...Connolly not on list I do find bizarre .{but apparently injured }
the keeper going to Barry was to get game time he wasn't going to get here..
6 CBs ? but only 2 fit of late who helped get 2 clean sheets and wins .. 5 strikers ? again 2 injured and 1 suspended there really is no pleasing some people. 2 fit CBs and 2 Strikers is bare bones not unbalanced.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:34 pm

dogfound wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:
dogfound wrote:
dogfound wrote:
dogfound wrote:

im aware that the 29 is a whole season but its not like there are too many we can use that we have not so far...Cunningham is away for the season..traore and murphy are here short term...Connolly not on list I do find bizarre .{but apparently injured }
6 CBs ? but only 2 fit of late who helped get 2 clean sheets and wins .. 5 strikers ? again 2 injured and 1 suspended there really is no pleasing some people. 2 fit CBs and 2 Strikers is bare bones not unbalanced.

My guess from listening to his press conference is that he wants to move a lot of the fringe players on as he feels they are blocking the pathway for youngsters in our under 23's who he might feel are ready for first team involvement which is why he thinks the squad is to bloated.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:40 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:
dogfound wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:
dogfound wrote:
dogfound wrote:
dogfound wrote:

My guess from listening to his press conference is that he wants to move a lot of the fringe players on as he feels they are blocking the pathway for youngsters in our under 23's who he might feel are ready for first team involvement which is why he thinks the squad is to bloated.

shouldn't that be a case of if good enough , play them. which in turn makes current squad players genuine ..dead wood.. ?
I just hope that if he does go with youth its because he thinks they are good enough and not that he feels pressured to.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:57 pm

dogfound wrote:

Ah right, I assumed they were all coming to the end of their contracts which is why they were listed in the article. Should have read it better - my bad :thumbup:

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:53 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Ah right, I assumed they were all coming to the end of their contracts which is why they were listed in the article. Should have read it better - my bad :thumbup:

Their contracts are up in the summer....

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:09 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
dogfound wrote:

the ones mentioned have contracts that run to june.. but a lot of them have been injured a lot and in bogles case we struggled to get him loaned out . its hard to see any queues forming for well paid crocks but its football so I suppose stranger things have happened..