Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Idiot Chris Sutton

Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:42 pm

Chris Sutton:

Wales will be lucky to finish in the top two.

Don’t underestimate the Swiss.

Re: Idiot Chris Sutton

Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:00 pm

They wont be lucky they will deserve it because even though the group is great for us it is still tough. Both Turkey and the Swiss are good teams and it will be a wide open group

Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:05 pm

Can't argue with that to be honest. I don't see us getting anything against Italy in Rome and Switzerland are an excellent side who are very well organised and don't concede many goals.

Any neutral will look at our group and say it's a battle between Italy and Switzerland to top the group. Turkey are the only team I'm hopeful we can get a result against, but they've also shown they're a good team to qualify.

Let's be honest, we are big underdogs, but that suits us fine.

Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:12 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Can't argue with that to be honest. I don't see us getting anything against Italy in Rome and Switzerland are an excellent side who are very well organised and don't concede many goals.

Any neutral will look at our group and say it's a battle between Italy and Switzerland to top the group. Turkey are the only team I'm hopeful we can get a result against, but they've also shown they're a good team to qualify.

Honestly staggered by your underdogs claim.

We beat Switzerland in the last euros 2 nil.

Turkey are ranked below us and head to head with them we have the better record.

We are unbeaten in 6 competive games and made the semi final of the last euros.

Underdogs? I can tell you now none of our group will relish the idea of playing wales.

Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:15 pm

The idiot probably said a similar thing in 2016.

Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:17 pm

Bluedodo wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Can't argue with that to be honest. I don't see us getting anything against Italy in Rome and Switzerland are an excellent side who are very well organised and don't concede many goals.

Turkey are ranked below us and head to head with them we have the better record.

Underdogs? I can tell you now none of our group will relish the idea of playing wales.

We beat Switzerland 2-0 in 2011 having lost to them 4-1 in the reverse fixture. They’re a good side

Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:31 pm

Bluedodo wrote:

I'm not disputing no team will relish playing us, but let's be reasonable and realistic here. Our 2-0 win against Switzerland was back in 2011 and Switzerland had a player sent off. Switzerland have beaten many good teams since, including Spain. They topped their group ahead of Denmark and only conceded 6 goals in their 8 qualifying games. They are an excellent side.

Can we get a result against Switzerland and Italy? Of course we can. But Chris Sutton and every non Welsh neutral will be correctly fancying Italy and Switzerland to take the top 2 places of the group, so I don't see how we can be anything other than underdogs.

Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:15 pm

If Wales qualify, it wont be lucky thats for sure,but well deserved. Chris Sutton is definetly an idiot though.

Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:40 pm

It won’t be lucky it will be deserved.

BUT some of you are getting wayyyyyyyyyy ahead of yourselves it will be very hard to get out of this group and it’s not very likely.

Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:00 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:It won’t be lucky it will be deserved.

BUT some of you are getting wayyyyyyyyyy ahead of yourselves it will be very hard to get out of this group and it’s not very likely.

Not sure why you think that it's not likely.
I would say it's a toss up between the three teams other than Italy.
There is not much between any of the teans but we probably have the edge with Bale and Ramsey in my opinion.
If we have a fit front 4 of Bale, Ramsey, Brooke's and James we can beat anybody

Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:03 pm

Chris Sutton will love the idea we are talking about him that's why he makes such statements like he did about us last season in the premiership.

We should just ignore him until he is proved wrong and do what Warnock did when Sutton said we will have the worst points ever in the premiership once we proved him wrong Warnock rang him and put him in his place

He says things so everyone will talk about him

Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:02 am

thomasblue wrote:

There is not much between any of the teans but we probably have the edge with Bale and Ramsey in my opinion.
If we have a fit front 4 of Bale, Ramsey, Brooke's and James we can beat anybody

Lol

Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:04 am

Sutton says controversial things to try and stay relevant. He’s the perfect example of why prostitutes shouldn’t have children.

Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:16 pm

Don't have to finish in top two anyway. A good third place will see us qualify. Our problem which few seem to realise yet is that Turkey have been given a massive advantage by playing us in Baku. Wont be far off being a home game for them.

Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:08 pm

JJ1927 wrote:Don't have to finish in top two anyway. A good third place will see us qualify. Our problem which few seem to realise yet is that Turkey have been given a massive advantage by playing us in Baku. Wont be far off being a home game for them.

Why is it a massive advantage ?
They will have the same amount of tickets as Wales I guess and dont forget Wales have played there recently albeit a different ground

Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:52 pm

What about Belgium in the euros? That was a home game for them going by that logic and look how that turned out!

Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:54 pm

thomasblue wrote:

Well if I toss up between three teams then it’s not likely.

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:51 pm

JJ1927 wrote:Don't have to finish in top two anyway. A good third place will see us qualify. Our problem which few seem to realise yet is that Turkey have been given a massive advantage by playing us in Baku. Wont be far off being a home game for them.

no maps in your house ?

the big cities in Turkey are about as far from Baku as Cardiff is to somewhere like Minsk.

Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:01 pm

dogfound wrote:

no maps in your house ?

the big cities in Turkey are about as far from Baku as Cardiff is to somewhere like Minsk.

There not even neighboring countries :lol:

Hardly a bus trip.

Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:00 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

no maps in your house ?

Hardly a bus trip.

Just over a thousand miles between Istanbul and Baku

It's people saying we pretty much have a home game playing in portugal.

It's the same distance to Lisbon from Cardiff as it is Istanbul to Baku

Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:20 pm

thomasblue wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

no maps in your house ?

Hardly a bus trip.

Exactly. And how many Wales fans would go to Lisbon if- as is possible - there was a fair chance of getting a ticket? Given that Turkey has a population almost 30 times that of Wales at 83 million you can multiply that many times over to see the potential for us being very substantially outnumbered. Add in the fact that there are 25,000 Turks living in Azerbaijan, the fact that the counties have very strong cultural and political links - Turkey was the leading supporter of Azerbaijan independence and the first to recognise its independence in 1991 and the Turkish president has called the two countries one nation and its likely that the locals will be fully behind Turkey. The two countries have very close ties. I hope I am wrong but I fear we will be massively outnumbered.

And for the person who questioned whether I had a map, mine shows that part of Azerbaijan - albeit an enclave-does actually share a border with Turkey.

Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:00 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

no maps in your house ?

Hardly a bus trip.

Exactly. And how many Wales fans would go to Lisbon if- as is possible - there was a fair chance of getting a ticket? Given that Turkey has a population almost 30 times that of Wales at 83 million you can multiply that many times over to see the potential for us being very substantially outnumbered. Add in the fact that there are 25,000 Turks living in Azerbaijan, the fact that the counties have very strong cultural and political links - Turkey was the leading supporter of Azerbaijan independence and the first to recognise its independence in 1991 and the Turkish president has called the two countries one nation and its likely that the locals will be fully behind Turkey. The two countries have very close ties. I hope I am wrong but I fear we will be massively outnumbered.

And for the person who questioned whether I had a map, mine shows that part of Azerbaijan - albeit an enclave-does actually share a border with Turkey.

I assumed you were talking about people not mountain goats..
yes they will have more fans than ourselves mostly down to population

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:49 am

Tough group
90 to 100 degree heat

Azerbaijanis have a love hate
With Turkey.
Azer is Shia and Turkey sunni.

In only a few hundred years. Both
Countries have wiped out their
Large Christian and jew populations.

Azerbaijan was invaded by the Turk Ottomans
Lots of death.
But
The Ottomans also massacred 100s of thousands of Christian Armenians everywhere they went, including 30,000 in Baku.
Wiping out infidels, Always welcomed by the muzzies.

History lesson is, I'm not too sure if
Baku will be hostile to the turks and more welcome to us???!?

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:26 pm

Allied to the fact they haven’t qualified for a while, there will be 1000’s of them.....

Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:24 pm

It's just the way it goes.

When we played England in Lens I reckon that ground was about 80% England with 20% us in that half bahind the goal and a few on the side, then on the flip of that we pretty much had the run of the ground in Toulouse with the Russians having a small pocket.

Not sure how well the Turks travel but I doubt they will have that many more there than us, in fact I wonder if the ground will even be full going on that europa league final, not sure how much interest the locals will have in it.

Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:55 pm

RV Casual wrote:It's just the way it goes.

When we played England in Lens I reckon that ground was about 80% England with 20% us in that half bahind the goal and a few on the side, then on the flip of that we pretty much had the run of the ground in Toulouse with the Russians having a small pocket.

Not sure how well the Turks travel but I doubt they will have that many more there than us, in fact I wonder if the ground will even be full going on that europa league final, not sure how much interest the locals will have in it.

the tournament itself had a record 19 million ticket applications last year. how many of those were for games in Baku is anyones guess..

Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:27 pm

Seeing as most on here think we'll have no problem getting through this group, if we don't manage it, will you consider it a failure ?

Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:43 pm

bluebird04 wrote:Seeing as most on here think we'll have no problem getting through this group, if we don't manage it, will you consider it a failure ?

they are not easy games mate..
I am just glad to qualify. but the same as with our club the more you do the more your expected to do..
so I think many would consider not qualifying a failure...