Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NEIL HARRIS: PLAYERS WILL HAVE TO LEAVE BEFORE NEW SIGNINGS

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Cardiff City: Boss Neil Harris says squad is 'too big'
By Michael Pearlman
BBC Sport

Saturday 30th November 2019

Cardiff City manager Neil Harris says some players will need to leave the club in January if he wants to make signings as his squad is "too big."

The Bluebirds head to Nottingham Forest this weekend having collected four points from Harris' first two games.

However, the boss admits he is expecting a balancing act in January.

"What I do know is it is a big squad and before we bring anyone in, in January, players will have to leave," he told BBC Sport Wales.

Harris, who succeeded Neil Warnock who left after three years in charge at the Cardiff City, says his squad size is proving problematic in training sessions.

"We are getting better all the time (with fitness), the players out are getting closer, it is getting to the stage where it is tough to put on XI v XI because of the amount of bodies we've got, in some way it is too many, it is too big a squad," he added.

"We work with it until January and then we start it there."

Harris admits fans will already be speculating as to what business the club will look to do but says he wants to give all his players an opportunity to impress.

"As a football fan myself following various teams I know how fans think, you start piecing plans together 'well he's not played, he has played, is he going to go, is he going to stay' it is far too early for all of that," he added.

"But it's what I am doing, I am sitting there thinking 'well I've not used him.' But it is nothing like that at the moment, everyone is getting an opportunity, because until you get everybody on the pitch, you just don't know about them."

Harris says he will be consulted over who replaces Andy Legg as Cardiff's under-23s manager. The Bluebirds announced Legg's departure last week.

"I want to work with the next under-23s manager very, very closely," he said.

"We want a free-flowing relationship between the academy and the first team.

"The club is crying out for opportunities for the youngsters to come through. It's not going to be overnight because of the size of the first team squad.

"But over the course of the next six to 12 months I want to see that pathway develop… the club and the fans want to see that as well. If they are good enough they will get the chance to play."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NEIL HARRIS: PLAYERS WILL HAVE TO LEAVE BEFORE NEW SIGNI

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:44 pm

Hopefully we can finally get rid of some of the wage takers

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:00 pm

snoopystorm wrote:Hopefully we can finally get rid of some of the wage takers

How many times have we said that over the years and we still keep signing those type of players.

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:02 pm

Funny every manager says that the squads they inherit are not fit :lol:

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:04 pm

1. Neil Etheridge
2. Lee Peltier
3. Joe Bennett
4. Sean Morrison (C)
5. Aden Flint
6. Will Vaulks
7. Leandro Bacuna
8. Joe Ralls
9. Robert Glatzel
10.Isaac Vassell
11. Josh Murphy
12. Alex Smithies
13. Callum Paterson
15. Marlon Pack
16. Curtis Nelson
17. Lee Tomlin
19. Nathaniel Mendez-Laing
20. Gavin Whyte
21. Jazz Richards
22. Sol Bamba
23. Danny Ward
24. Gary Madine
25. Joe Day
27. Omar Bogle
30. Ciaron Brown
31. Aaron Bolger
33. Junior Hoilett

Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:43 pm

You can add Cunningham, Brian Murphy and Traore to that list? Have they squad numbers?

Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:30 am

And Connelly

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:08 pm

The squad is far to big and totally unbalanced in my opinion, most teams who come down need to reduce their squads and we are no different.

Sadly we had a nightmare of transfer window over the summer, signing players in the wrong positions and not getting rid of people before signing others. Its madness we have Glatzel, Medine, Ward, Bogle, Vassell no doubt all on good wages for one position.

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Some surprises in my list especially if NW gets a club in the New year.

Out;

Day (L)
Murphy
Richards
Traore
Bamba
Connelly
Hoilett
Bogle
Vassell
Brown (L)

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:54 pm

Add Vaulks and Madine to that

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:56 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:Some surprises in my list especially if NW gets a club in the New year.

Out;

Day (L)
Murphy
Richards
Traore
Bamba
Connelly
Hoilett
Bogle
Vassell
Brown (L)

I dont think your a million miles away either, with that list fella. :thumbup: