Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Jones for Villa? Discuss!

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:21 pm

For the first time in the last 5 years, I think a job has arisen which would suit DJ and which might suit the club interested in him.

I know its early days, but I think him in the Villa job is the perfect fit for club and manager.

A swap is not as far fetched as it sounds - O'Neill may like the challenge of getting the bluebirds over the line to the Premier League.

My own preference is for DJ to stay, but I have a feeling this time that he could go.

Re: Jones for Villa? Discuss!

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:22 pm

Would much prefer O'Neill to Dave, but I really can't see it happening!

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:24 pm

bluebird58 wrote:A swap is not as far fetched as it sounds - O'Neill may like the challenge of getting the bluebirds over the line to the Premier League.

Yes, yes it is.

There's zero indicatiom Villa would want Jones.

Equally, O'Neill quit due to the inevitable sale of Milner. Wanted money to really push on towards CL.

Seriously think he'd have interest in coming to a cash strapped side the division below?

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:27 pm

I bet Mark Hughes wishes he had waited a couple of weeks. I was told a while ago that Premier clubs don't want DJ!

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Shortest price now 9/1 with Paddy Power for DJ. 4 out of 5 betting firms have him about 5th/6th favourite at moment, with Curbishley favourite? Surely not?

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:34 pm

I cant see them wanting DJ. They would more likley go for someone like Steve Mclaren, Martin Jol, Owen Coyle, Sam Allardyce. If they cant get one of them, then they maybe DJ would be thrown into the mix. Not first choice though. O'neil for City manager :shock: I'll tell the jokes!! He would not come and we could not afford him if he wanted to.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:38 pm

around 5/1 on Betfair which is a little better indicator than the odds created by the big firms - third favourite to Martin Jol and alan Curbishley

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:47 pm

No chance whatsoever. If he can't get jobs at bottom to mid-table Prem sides, how on earth is he going to get a job at a club looking to get in the Champions League?! His chances are laughable and only slightly less ridiculous than the kid who famously applied for a management job due to his impresive Championship Manager record on the pc. If I'm wrong, please bring this back up as I would be delighted to be wrong, but I'm gonna lump on that kid I reckon!

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:52 pm

bluebird58 wrote:
My own preference is for DJ to stay,

I really don't want to say "I told you so" on this one, believe me!

Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

he cant take the pressure of trying to get a team into the prem, let alone the pressure hed be under for villa to break into the top 4/6...............

imagine how pissed of youd be if your a villa fan, with the passion, personality and drive of O'niell ( who is one of the best managers in my opinion)
to be replaced by dave jones :lol:

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:38 am

Indeed Milly, I would have hoped this thread was done firmly in cheek, but judging from the tone and responses it would seem not. Unbelievable. He'll be in line for the f*cking England job next according to some. Christ, some will be proclaiming him as the Son of God soon as according to them he can walk on water.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:23 am

This is surely a joke thread. April the first is ages away yet! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:09 am

I don't know Villa like to appoint English (sometimes Irish) managers.

Since the last foreign manager Jozef Venglos (1990-91) they have had Ron Atkinson (1991-94), Brian Little (1994-98), John Gregory (1998-Jan 2002), Graham Taylor (Feb 2002 to May 2003), David O'Leary (May 2003 - July 2006) and Martin O'Neill (July 2006 - August 2010).

Not only that Villa managers seem to get more time than the average Premiership manager (on average 4 years) and they are often managers given a chance to prove themselves (Little/Gregory) or managers with unfinished business (Taylor/O'Leary/O'Neil) which again would point to DJ who has been settled at this club for the past 5 years and has previous Premiership experience.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:30 pm

if Hull didn't want Jones why on earth would Villa????

Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:56 am

bluebird58 wrote:For the first time in the last 5 years, I think a job has arisen which would suit DJ and which might suit the club interested in him.

I know its early days, but I think him in the Villa job is the perfect fit for club and manager.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city-fc/2010/08/29/link-with-villa-is-flattering-admits-jones-91466-27159115/

I really hope i'm wrong on this but the story won't go away. I think now that our club has stabilised he'll stay, but it wouldn't surprise me if Villa make an offer at least.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:00 am

milly44 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

he cant take the pressure of trying to get a team into the prem, let alone the pressure hed be under for villa to break into the top 4/6...............

imagine how pissed of youd be if your a villa fan, with the passion, personality and drive of O'niell ( who is one of the best managers in my opinion)

Jones is in his 6th year here, has IMPROVED every year, and has now built the squad SINGLE HANDEDLY that you are calling one of the best squads in the Championship. We have mad an excellent start to the season with 3 wins and a draw, are sitting joint top of the championship, and are currently the most frightening and attacking team in the league! He has made a monumental signing in "Craig Bellamy" not to mention the success over the last 3 seasons.

It seriously surprises me how fickle and stubborn some fans can be when you are currently retaining one of, if not the best manager in the championship.

Jones will not go, his wife won't go and they are very happy in Cardiff.

Lets just forget the Jones to ............ threads, and support him and the club. :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:52 am

bluebird58 wrote:For the first time in the last 5 years, I think a job has arisen which would suit DJ and which might suit the club interested in him.

A swap is not as far fetched as it sounds - O'Neill may like the challenge of getting the bluebirds over the line to the Premier League.

My own preference is for DJ to stay, but I have a feeling this time that he could go.

No chance at all, they wouldn't want him and he finally has the backing and the squad to take us up !!!

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:47 pm

Jones is going nowhere - he'd miss his horses. :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:21 pm

The ship is steady Chief dont lead it into rocky waters :roll:

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:41 pm

Dave Jones to stay....end of. Just wouldn't make sense for him to come this far and walk away ;) :?

He's been pretty loyal to this club and could have walked on several occasions. He is maybe about to reap the rewards of his hard work (mainly achieved against massive odds) and will have an enormous sense of satisfaction when he achieves the dream. ;)

Apart from this, his wife and family are very settled in the area and it would take a truly massive offer to make him up-sticks in the next couple of year, lest he incur thwrath of 'she who must be obeyed' :lol:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:45 pm

Can't see it. He's on too cushy a number where he is without too much pressure. His lifestyle is good and he doesn't strike me as the type to chase success for it's own sake.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:56 am

I've been a big knocker of Dave Jones in the past but lets look at facts:

We lost to Blackpool because we had no replacement for Bothroyd, can we
blame him for that?

We had a weak midfield in my eyes. McPhail and Ledley were not up to the
task of pinning down a mobile Burke and Vaughan. Who were we supposed
to replace them with Rae or Wildig?? Again, can we blame Jones?

Central defence? yes he made a mistake playing Hudson in my eyes, but who
did he have instead? Gerrard?... hardly set the world alight really has he!

Now?... out of nowhere we have the best team in this division and everyone
is shit scared of us. Jones has played a blinder, we now also have busy strong
midfielders that allow TWO wide men to push on and support the striker...

We are known as one of the better footballing sides in the division, have been for
a few years.

Most of all though folks!!

We have improved year on year on year... even though the club has got skinter and
skinter and skinter. He's doing a great job. The thought of DJ leaving now does not
inspire me and I hope to hell he finishes the job

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:19 am

I don't want him to go and I don't think he will - when I first posted this thread on the 9th August it was pre-Bellamy and a very different situation to what we have now - and yet it only seems to be now that the tabloid press have jumped on the idea!

Without Bellamy, he may have gone, but not now, methinks.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:26 am

And does this make a difference?
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_6349716,00.html

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:06 am

my biggest fear with this aston villa job is that david moyes will get it,leaving everton without a manager would dj want to do a bellamy and want to go home? i hope not but if everton did go for dj couildn't see him saying no.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:20 am

godhasdonearunner wrote:my biggest fear with this aston villa job is that david moyes will get it,leaving everton without a manager would dj want to do a bellamy and want to go home? i hope not but if everton did go for dj couildn't see him saying no.

ditto

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:45 am

Merlin wrote:

Jones is in his 6th year here, has IMPROVED every year, and has now built the squad SINGLE HANDEDLY that you are calling one of the best squads in the Championship. We have mad an excellent start to the season with 3 wins and a draw, are sitting joint top of the championship, and are currently the most frightening and attacking team in the league! He has made a monumental signing in "Craig Bellamy" not to mention the success over the last 3 seasons.

It seriously surprises me how fickle and stubborn some fans can be when you are currently retaining one of, if not the best manager in the championship.

Lets just forget the Jones to ............ threads, and support him and the club. :ayatollah:

very well said mate, DJ and his wife are very settled in Cardiff and I dont think he would now leave a club which he is/has taken forward :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:01 pm

tenerife_blu wrote:
Merlin wrote:

very well said mate, DJ and his wife are very settled in Cardiff and I dont think he would now leave a club which he is/has taken forward :ayatollah:

Cheers T-Blu! :ayatollah: