Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Inheriting a mess.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:43 am

The events of the past week may have come as a shock to some people but most will know that it's been on the cards for some time. We have been in financial trouble ever since Sam Hammam's bubble burst during the months leading up to that fateful day dubbed 'Black Friday'.
Since then we have endured some memorable times on the pitch, you know what they were, i needn't go any further. Those good times ON the pitch could've been a catalyst for financial improvement OFF the pitch. Indeed they were, but unfortunatley Sam Hammam and the City board entrusted a certain Peter Ridsdale with the monetary recovery. This was to prove pivotal in the club's current state as it just poured more petrol onto the fire. We've gone from Hammam poor financial and business acumen in managing a football club (don't forget what he did for Wimbledon) to Ridsdale's borrowing on the never never enhanced with situation gambling and storybook tales to con the supporters (again don't forget what he did for Leeds).
So we are where we are. We've got a squad of players who are, quite frankly, vastly overpaid. Some are quality players, some are utter garbage. The players blew one of the best chances to turn the club around and to never look back....they failed dramatically. Chopra has now aired his opinion and things are not right amongst "the tight knit" squad of ours. Another blow to the club.
I am all for the Malaysians at the helm at this present time. OK, Maybe TG shouldn't have come out with the "I promise you one thing, we'll try very hard and I'll do whatever's necessary to get us up there again" line but his sole duty is to put the club back on an even keel, steady the ship, sound financial footing....call it what you like.
Major investment aside (and I still live in hope for it), I wouldn't mind settling for a season or two out of the glory limelight, even if it means selling assets and settling for mid table fodder. Let the Malaysians to what they do best in this terrible financial climate and revert the club back on terra firma.
I've been through more up and downs than Tiger Woods' backside with my beautiful club and a few more wouldn't hurt if it meant we are all systems go for the future.

Keep Calm and Carry On.

Re: Inheriting a mess.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:01 am

Great Post! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Inheriting a mess.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:05 am

It is so true that our financial crisis has been ongoing for 5 years now since the events of Black Friday.