Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Merthyr can u help ?

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:28 pm

I joined a Martyrs group on facebook, as a valley lad myself its very sad the demise of Merthyr, I remember crowds in their thousands in the GM conference and of course that classic european night when nearly 11,000 crammed in there, If anyone can help have a read below and join up !!!!! below is a transcript of some info that has been emailed to myself as i JOIned the martyrs facebook group have a read >>>>>>>>>>

As you are probably aware, a new Club, Merthyr Town, has now been formed and is based along the lines of a Community Club. The Club is now being run as a democratically elected Board known as Merthyr Town FC Society Ltd.

there is a facebook group “Keep Football at Penydarren Park”, and this is probably the major goal of the new Club and fundraising is absolutely vital to enable this aim to be achieved.
We are now enquiring whether you are able to support the Club through our fundraising efforts.

Small businesses, members of the public and supporters are being asked to become sponsors to keep football alive in Merthyr Tydfil by paying £5 a week to club funds through a standing order mandate. It is appreciated that this may be too much for some, so an alternative suggestion is that a group of five pay £1 each, with one taking the standing order responsibility. Others may find themselves able to pay more than £5 and like all donations these will be greatly appreciated.

All those participating in the scheme will have their names printed in the match day programme. When a small business e.g. a corner shop or pub join the scheme a notice will be given to them to display in their premises.

We are also appealing to those who do not live locally and cannot attend any or many matches but are supporters interested in the Club and its future.

We are certain that there are a considerable number of these people spread over Britain and may we say it even the world. If you know of any such person please encourage them to support our aim to KEEP FOOTBALL ALIVE IN MERTHYR TYDFIL.

There are already just over twenty members of this scheme which brings in over £5000 annually. If this figure could at least be doubled then vital funds would be raised.

If you are able, please support the scheme and also encourage others to do likewise.

An application form for the scheme can be downloaded from the Clubs website www.merthyrtownfc.co.uk in the ‘Club Documents’ section.

These forms can be returned to:-
John Strand, 8 Salisbury Close, Heolgerrig, Merthyr Tydfil CF48 1SD
The reason for this is that we need to know the names of individuals who are contributing so that their names can be included in the programme.

The Club also organises a weekly Soccalot Scheme (currently at £5,500 prize fund) which is pivotal to their fundraising efforts. Tickets cost £1 and an application form can also be downloaded at www.merthyrtownfc.co.uk in the ‘Club Documents’ section.
Whatever support you can give to your new Football Club will be much appreciated.