Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes : 122

Re: Poll: Ban the Burka

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:07 am

just a handful of bend-overs our 'Tolerant' society has done for your mates:

Tayside police withdraw cute puppy postcards promoting the Police because Muslims
complain that Dogs are unclean and its an insult to post that through their doors?
So no tolerance of Britains favourite pet, even in a picture

Muslims complain to the BBC about one gay muslim attacking a christian gay because
it shows Muslims in a homophobic light. What? all of them? Where's the tolerance there?

Muslims sit through interviews to get jobs at tesco, do not mention that its against their
religion to sell alcohol, then refuse to serve it to customers, not too much tolerance of our
drinking customs there, considerering countless Muslim Corner shops sell alcohol quite
happily

Complaints withheld about Police needing to take off their shoes when entering Muslim
households so as not to cause offence (never mind that a criminal muslim would only need
to throw a few tacks on the carpet and he's away)

Police not allowed to take dogs into Muslim homes, again, it may cause offence. Even though
there may be violent criminals inside

Non-Muslim Councillors in London being banned from eating sandwiches at tea break during Ramadam, so
as not to cause offence to Muslims who are fasting!!

I could go on forever here Joe.... the point is. You are determined by hook or by crook to show
tolerance to Muslims, and 'pride yourself' in Britains tolerant society. When its the very people
you think you are defending that are introducing a culture of 'my way or the highway' into this
once great country!

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:56 am

taffyapple wrote:just a handful of bend-overs our 'Tolerant' society has done for your mates:

Tayside police withdraw cute puppy postcards promoting the Police because Muslims
complain that Dogs are unclean and its an insult to post that through their doors?
So no tolerance of Britains favourite pet, even in a picture

Muslims complain to the BBC about one gay muslim attacking a christian gay because
it shows Muslims in a homophobic light. What? all of them? Where's the tolerance there?

Muslims sit through interviews to get jobs at tesco, do not mention that its against their
religion to sell alcohol, then refuse to serve it to customers, not too much tolerance of our
drinking customs there, considerering countless Muslim Corner shops sell alcohol quite
happily

Complaints withheld about Police needing to take off their shoes when entering Muslim
households so as not to cause offence (never mind that a criminal muslim would only need
to throw a few tacks on the carpet and he's away)

Police not allowed to take dogs into Muslim homes, again, it may cause offence. Even though
there may be violent criminals inside

Non-Muslim Councillors in London being banned from eating sandwiches at tea break during Ramadam, so
as not to cause offence to Muslims who are fasting!!

I could go on forever here Joe.... the point is. You are determined by hook or by crook to show
tolerance to Muslims, and 'pride yourself' in Britains tolerant society. When its the very people
you think you are defending that are introducing a culture of 'my way or the highway' into this
once great country!

I have googled a few of the stories and note with interest that most of them seem to have come from the Daily Mail - and we all know what they are famous for.

Sniffer dogs are allowed in Muslim homes but there have been suggestions that they should wear 'booties'. Note this suggestion has come from the ACPO not the Muslim community.

I have googled the taking shoes off story and was presented with a page full of links to places like 'jihad watch', the BNP and various blogs not renowned for restricting themselves to facts.

When you go into a corner shop and buy alcohol, how do you know the shop is run by a Muslim? Not all Asians are Muslims, like not all white people are Christians - and you can throw into the mix that not all Muslims interpret the Koran the same way.

Do you have any personal experience of having to adjust your life to suit Muslims, or are you just going along with what the Daily Mail and the BNP tell us?

Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:09 pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 258664.ece
NOT the Daily Mail

http://www.christian.org.uk/news/counci ... christmas/
NOT the Daily Mail, and try checking out the other stories below

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 102182.ece
Not the Daily Mail

I could go on all day. But as before, I ask you to give me ONE instance where anything Islamic
has been banned in this Country.

You are so wrapped up and brainwashed you cannot see the wood for the trees. Our country is
uber-tolerant of everyone and everything.... Islam and its followers clearly are not!!

What a travesty that our once proud country opens its gates for people who's agenda appears
(quite plainly) to be to change our ways to suit theirs, and not vice-versa in any way or form!

Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:59 pm

taffyapple wrote:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article2258664.ece
NOT the Daily Mail

Not the Daily Mail

I could go on all day. But as before, I ask you to give me ONE instance where anything Islamic

You are so wrapped up and brainwashed you cannot see the wood for the trees. Our country is
uber-tolerant of everyone and everything.... Islam and its followers clearly are not!!

What a travesty that our once proud country opens its gates for people who's agenda appears
(quite plainly) to be to change our ways to suit theirs, and not vice-versa in any way or form!

To be honest, not eating in-front of someone who is fasting seems perfectly reasonable to me. I am not sure medical staff should be eating in front of ANY patients.

This banning Christmas thing . I know it goes on, but it HAS NOT BEEN AT THE REQUEST OF MUSLIMS. Muslims are opposed to this because it adds fuel to stories like this and just fans the flames of islamophobia.

The Sun story, as is with all Sun stories, something of a nothing story - they love printing this sort of stuff cos they are not in the business of proper journalism. 'Freddy Star Ate My Hamster' ring any bells?
Bosses acted after a Muslim complained about pig-shaped stress relievers delivered to the council in the run-up to the Islamic festival of Ramadan.

All this says to me is that someone in the council over reacted to one complaint from one Muslim

Again, a quick google reveals that the only other people that have picked up on this pig story are nutters like jihad watch.

Christmas has not been banned, eating has not been banned, pigs and dogs have not been banned. This is spin of the highest order and i am disappointed you cannot see though this nonsense.

I ask again, have you personally been affected by any of this? Have you had to change your habits to accommodate Islam in any way shape or form?

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:26 pm

smh @ me not being able to go for a swim because it was burka hour. they had blinds on the windows and female lifeguards but they still wore that ish in the pool... :arrow:

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:29 pm

werent they considering banning the christmas lights in cardiff town as they were disrespectful to non christians....

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:39 pm

I ask again, have you personally been affected by any of this? Have you had to change your habits to accommodate Islam in any way shape or form?

yes. several hundred mosque's throughout britain is a start... LOL at someone trying to build a Church in saudi or something...

plans for a large mosque to be built in London next to the venue of the 2012 Olympics. Dubbed a mega-mosque by the media the intended structure will be built on 17 acres of real estate and will be able to hold up to 40, 000 worshipers at any one time:

Liverpool’s Anglican cathedral, the largest Christian place of worship, has a capacity of 3,000

Thats 17 acres of accommodation for a start..

and Halal kebab... what if i wanted regular slaughtered animal food.. its just not fair

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:52 pm

joe_public wrote:
taffyapple wrote:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article2258664.ece
NOT the Daily Mail

Not the Daily Mail

To be honest, not eating in-front of someone who is fasting seems perfectly reasonable to me. I am not sure medical staff should be eating in front of ANY patients.

This banning Christmas thing . I know it goes on, but it HAS NOT BEEN AT THE REQUEST OF MUSLIMS. Muslims are opposed to this because it adds fuel to stories like this and just fans the flames of islamophobia.

The Sun story, as is with all Sun stories, something of a nothing story - they love printing this sort of stuff cos they are not in the business of proper journalism. 'Freddy Star Ate My Hamster' ring any bells?
Bosses acted after a Muslim complained about pig-shaped stress relievers delivered to the council in the run-up to the Islamic festival of Ramadan.

All this says to me is that someone in the council over reacted to one complaint from one Muslim

Again, a quick google reveals that the only other people that have picked up on this pig story are nutters like jihad watch.

Christmas has not been banned, eating has not been banned, pigs and dogs have not been banned. This is spin of the highest order and i am disappointed you cannot see though this nonsense.

Why? I've never been raped either, but it dont mean I cant despise rapists!

Your becoming a bit of a joke now. You spout how its 'just the Daily Mail' prints these stories.
I prove you wrong, so you slag off the Sun (but not the Timesonline) You call the Sun story
"something of a nothing story"... well the Council never denied it or threatened to sue the
paper

you believe that because someone CHOOSES to fast, then everyone else should avoid food too?
are you f*cking serious? Its their choice not to eat, someone elses choice to eat! What next,
dont eat food in front of someone on a diet?! Dont drink beer in front of a teetotaller? Hospital
patients? you must be taking the piss! My brother was waiting on an operation last year and I
had a butty in front of him when he was "nil by mouth" he was gutted but it was just a wind up
and he never felt 'abused'

ARE YOU SAYING PEOPLE FASTING SHOULD NOT HAVE TO TOLERATE PEOPLE EATING IN FRONT OF THEM

ARE YOU SAYING THE MUSLIM/MUSLIMS WHO DID NOT WANT LITTLE PIGGYS IN THE WORKPLACE
SHOULD NOT HAVE TO TOLERATE THE LITTLE OINKERS??

WHAT YOU ACTUALLY END UP SAYING IS... TOLERATION IS A BRITISH TRAIT, BUT THE MUSLIMS
SHOULDNT HAVE TO ABIDE BY IT, IF THEY DONT WANT TO, ITS THEIR RIGHT!!

your a bit of a fool

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:04 pm

taffyapple wrote:
Why? I've never been raped either, but it dont mean I cant despise rapists!

Your becoming a bit of a joke now. You spout how its 'just the Daily Mail' prints these stories.
I prove you wrong, so you slag off the Sun (but not the Timesonline) You call the Sun story
"something of a nothing story"... well the Council never denied it or threatened to sue the
paper

you believe that because someone CHOOSES to fast, then everyone else should avoid food too?
are you f*cking serious? Its their choice not to eat, someone elses choice to eat! What next,
dont eat food in front of someone on a diet?! Dont drink beer in front of a teetotaller? Hospital
patients? you must be taking the piss! My brother was waiting on an operation last year and I
had a butty in front of him when he was "nil by mouth" he was gutted but it was just a wind up
and he never felt 'abused'

ARE YOU SAYING PEOPLE FASTING SHOULD NOT HAVE TO TOLERATE PEOPLE EATING IN FRONT OF THEM

ARE YOU SAYING THE MUSLIM/MUSLIMS WHO DID NOT WANT LITTLE PIGGYS IN THE WORKPLACE
SHOULD NOT HAVE TO TOLERATE THE LITTLE OINKERS??

WHAT YOU ACTUALLY END UP SAYING IS... TOLERATION IS A BRITISH TRAIT, BUT THE MUSLIMS
SHOULDNT HAVE TO ABIDE BY IT, IF THEY DONT WANT TO, ITS THEIR RIGHT!!

your a bit of a fool

Can you please clarify; are you saying that you despise all Muslims?

The rape analogy does not quite work, you might despise all rapists, but you do not (I assume) despise all men. There are Muslims who are despicable, but that does not justify despising them all.

I did not say the Daily Mail are the only ones that print stories like that, I just pointed out that they are notorious for this sort of thing. The Mail is a rabid right wing paper that regularly fills it pages with stories of this nature. All papers have a leaning in one direction or another, the Mail is notorious for being right wing. This goes back a long way, it was a supporter of Mosley’s Black Shirts and supported Hitler in his early years. In more recent times it has had to make several major pay-outs for libel.

The Sun, on the other hand, is not quite so dogmatic and flirts with both the centre ground and the right. However, certainly since Rupert Murdoch took over, it has never really tried to be a serious newspaper, it is more about page three girls and celebrity gossip. It regularly courts controversy, is not averse to photo manipulation and prints ludicrous stories on a daily basis. If it is news you are looking for, you would be better off with private eye. I know several Sun readers and even they do not take it seriously.

The Times, however, is a slightly different proposition. Although coming from right of centre, there is less manipulation of the news – after all, the bosses need to know what is really going on. It is no stranger to litigation, controversy and respected journalists resigning over censorship though.

So, starting with the Times article, if we read it, what is it actually saying?

“Doctors and nurses in Scotland should refrain from eating in front of their Muslim patients and colleagues during the month of Ramadan according to the Scottish NHS”.

This, as I have previously said, is a bit of something and nothing. When you go to see your GP, you don’t expect to see him tucking into a pie and chips. When you are in hospital you do not expect to see nurses ramming a pork pie down their mush. It is good practice to not eat in front of patients anyway, so it is not as iff anyone is going to have to change their habits in any way. Most people eat in the canteen rest room, I would guess that anyone fasting will stay away from the canteen.

As for ARE YOU SAYING PEOPLE FASTING SHOULD NOT HAVE TO TOLERATE PEOPLE EATING IN FRONT OF THEM – No, have not said that, but any one with half an ounce of decency and politeness would respect their colleagues and not go waving ham sandwiches in their face. Showing that respect is hardly a major inconvenience.

Also…
“A spokeswoman for Greater Glasgow and Clyde NHS denied that staff had been “banned from eating food at their workplaces” but said they had asked employees “to show consideration” for colleagues and patients observing Ramadan”.

So this is a storm in a tea cup, there is no actual ban - just asking pople to be respectful, which i would hope they would do anyway.

Now for the Sun. The Ban on pigs is over the top, but this is such an insignificant event, it is hardly a demonstration of the Islamification of Britain. I wonder how many pig calendars have been taken down? Not many I guess. Unless this council is posher than any other council, I doubt there are many porcelain figures of anything on display, never mind pigs.

Where I work we are not allowed to put up calendars with naked/scantily clad women on – does this count as feminisation of the workplace? Is this intolerance on behalf of women? No, it is just showing a bit of respect.

Another storm in a tea cup – printed in a paper not normally worried about accuracy. And is whether or not someone has been sued your definition of whether or not it is true? Perhaps the council just gave the story the significance it deserves.

The examples you have given are really rather minor events. The Muslim community is not asking us all to fast, to start reading the Koran, for women cover their faces, or change our lives in any way what so ever.

I have no choice about taking time off work over Easter and Christmas. Christianity causes me far more inconvenience that Islam.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Big speech!

You are very silly and misguided

You pride yourself on your tolerance, and that of the British people. You chastise
the EDL and BNP for being intolerant bigots.

Yet the Islamic community has no tolerance for Christianity. Just the fact that
Sharia law is being practiced to an extent in most Muslim communities proves
that they believe in it.

Do you seriously think that if these f*cking Imams got given the go-ahead that
they wouldnt implement the more draconian laws? and do you think the Muslims
would rise up and defy them?

Grow up

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:47 pm

taffyapple wrote:Big speech!

You are very silly and misguided

You pride yourself on your tolerance, and that of the British people. You chastise
the EDL and BNP for being intolerant bigots.

Yet the Islamic community has no tolerance for Christianity. Just the fact that
Sharia law is being practiced to an extent in most Muslim communities proves
that they believe in it.

Do you seriously think that if these f*cking Imams got given the go-ahead that
they wouldnt implement the more draconian laws? and do you think the Muslims
would rise up and defy them?

Grow up

I am currently watching 'the Life of Pigs' on the bbc http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t4n5g

Have not seen gangs of Muslims outside broadcasting house complaining. In fairness, it is only the BBC, perhaps the Muslims do not know about it.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:11 am

right here we go :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

happy christmas is happy f*cking christmas,
happy easter is happy f*cking easter.
soon i wont be able to say happy birthday in MY own country in case i offend someone of a diffrent religion who has a diffrent birthday.

i know f**k all about religion in my opinion its all bollocks, the only church i wish to enter is charlotte now shes single.
(nothing against people who have religious beliefs, i just dont)

if people want to wear a burka, by all means wear it..........IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:53 am

milly44 wrote:right here we go :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

happy christmas is happy f*cking christmas,
happy easter is happy f*cking easter.
soon i wont be able to say happy birthday in MY own country in case i offend someone of a diffrent religion who has a diffrent birthday.

i know f**k all about religion in my opinion its all bollocks, the only church i wish to enter is charlotte now shes single.
(nothing against people who have religious beliefs, i just dont)

if people want to wear a burka, by all means wear it..........IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY!!!!

mmmmm.. you and Charlotte,Can I have Exclusive rights to take the photos please?

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:09 am

Personally I think this matter is being approached from the wrong angle.

Firstly covering your face in certain situations like in a Bank, School, and immigration/passport control or at anytime you need to confirm your identity should be made illegal. That applies equally to those who wear Burka’s or other face coverings etc.

Anyone wishing to cover their faces in a public street then fine, but they must understand that they will be more likely to be stopped and searched by the Police (e.g. similar to youths who wear hoddies) because they are concealing their identity and that can arouse suspicion the freedom is being abused. Yes we can have tolerance to other cultures but those cultures must respect that their actions will have repercussions on our society which they will be responsible for.

Finally there must be a very draconian law which makes it a very serious offence for anyone to cohere someone into wearing a Burka (or any kind of face covering) against their will.

So if Muslim women choose to wear a Burka then fine that is their personal choice.

However, if they are in any way threatened or intimidated into wearing a Burka/face covering by for example a Husband, Father, Uncle or Imam then that person will be jailed (and possibly deported) for their actions.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:43 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Personally I think this matter is being approached from the wrong angle.

Firstly covering your face in certain situations like in a Bank, School, and immigration/passport control or at anytime you need to confirm your identity should be made illegal. That applies equally to those who wear Burka’s or other face coverings etc.

Anyone wishing to cover their faces in a public street then fine, but they must understand that they will be more likely to be stopped and searched by the Police (e.g. similar to youths who wear hoddies) because they are concealing their identity and that can arouse suspicion the freedom is being abused. Yes we can have tolerance to other cultures but those cultures must respect that their actions will have repercussions on our society which they will be responsible for.

Finally there must be a very draconian law which makes it a very serious offence for anyone to cohere someone into wearing a Burka (or any kind of face covering) against their will.

So if Muslim women choose to wear a Burka then fine that is their personal choice.

However, if they are in any way threatened or intimidated into wearing a Burka/face covering by for example a Husband, Father, Uncle or Imam then that person will be jailed (and possibly deported) for their actions.

I concur.

No need to ban it, it would cause more problems than it solves. But the wearers should be made
fully aware that Banks, passport control, hospitals, schools, shopping precincts etc are places
where unsavoury people may hang out. These are places where security (sadly) is paramount.
If you cant walk into a bank with a helmet or balaclava on, then not should you be able to wear
the Nihab!!

If these measures were put in place, it wouldnt stop muslim families from coming here. The
attraction to our freedoms and to our standard of living would still be too great. They would
suddenly find a passage in the Koran that permits them to remove the Veil 'at certain times'.
Also, can anyone imagine a bullish, chauvenistic Muslim husband queueing up in Asda for the
weekly shop while the missus is at home 'baking bread'??? naaah... they'd soon rip that veil
off if they thought they'd have to do 'womanly' duties!

FFS.. The veil isn't worn by many women in Iran, the Muslim women there (fair play) will actually
argue with the 'religious police' type women when they are pulled up for not wearing it.

Women wear Burkhas all over Britain!

Dear Joe Public.. what do you think would happen to a white woman walking through a muslim
estate wearing a bikini?

Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:37 pm

taffyapple wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:Personally I think this matter is being approached from the wrong angle.

I concur.

No need to ban it, it would cause more problems than it solves. But the wearers should be made
fully aware that Banks, passport control, hospitals, schools, shopping precincts etc are places
where unsavoury people may hang out. These are places where security (sadly) is paramount.
If you cant walk into a bank with a helmet or balaclava on, then not should you be able to wear
the Nihab!!

If these measures were put in place, it wouldnt stop muslim families from coming here. The
attraction to our freedoms and to our standard of living would still be too great. They would
suddenly find a passage in the Koran that permits them to remove the Veil 'at certain times'.
Also, can anyone imagine a bullish, chauvenistic Muslim husband queueing up in Asda for the
weekly shop while the missus is at home 'baking bread'??? naaah... they'd soon rip that veil

FFS.. The veil isn't worn by many women in Iran, the Muslim women there (fair play) will actually
argue with the 'religious police' type women when they are pulled up for not wearing it.

Dear Joe Public.. what do you think would happen to a white woman walking through a muslim
estate wearing a bikini?

I agree with Tony’s post, I pretty much said this back in the first page of the thread.

I am not sure we need a new law about not forcing people to wear a Burqa though, that sort of behaviour is probably already covered by law. If it is not, then no problem with a new one. i think actually policing it might prove difficult though.

Taffy, not sure why you see a shopping precinct as a security risk. I am open to persuasion though, can you expand on this?

You refer to the fact that many Muslim women in Iran don’t wear Burqas. This is also the case in the UK, if it were not you would see a lot more of them. It is only a minority of Muslim women wear them.

They wont find a passage in the Koran about when and where you can wear a veil, cos it aint in the Koran anyway.

As for the question about bikinis and Muslim estates. I am a bit confused by this question. Where are these Muslim estates you refer to? I don’t know what would happen if a woman in a bikini walked through one (if they exist), my guess is would be pretty much the same as if they walked though any other estate. What do you think would happen then?

Where is it you live? California? Where I come from women don’t walk around in bikini’s anyway – where you live must be like a scene from Baywatch.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:24 pm

Your answer is there on the poll.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:34 pm

joe_public wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

I concur.

the Nihab!!

estate wearing a bikini?

I agree with Tony’s post, I pretty much said this back in the first page of the thread.

I am not sure we need a new law about not forcing people to wear a Burqa though, that sort of behaviour is probably already covered by law. If it is not, then no problem with a new one. i think actually policing it might prove difficult though.

Taffy, not sure why you see a shopping precinct as a security risk. I am open to persuasion though, can you expand on this?

You refer to the fact that many Muslim women in Iran don’t wear Burqas. This is also the case in the UK, if it were not you would see a lot more of them. It is only a minority of Muslim women wear them.

They wont find a passage in the Koran about when and where you can wear a veil, cos it aint in the Koran anyway.

As for the question about bikinis and Muslim estates. I am a bit confused by this question. Where are these Muslim estates you refer to? I don’t know what would happen if a woman in a bikini walked through one (if they exist), my guess is would be pretty much the same as if they walked though any other estate. What do you think would happen then?

Where is it you live? California? Where I come from women don’t walk around in bikini’s anyway – where you live must be like a scene from Baywatch.

Oh FFS I'm done with you son.... you never seen a girl in a boob tube and shorts? Where you live, in the
summer do you not see little uns walking to the shops from their house in bikinis?? if they tried that on certain
estates across Britain they'd get f*cking battered... everyone bar you will be laughing at your comments... Try
your ridiculous spiel again, i'll name TEN places... then you can Wikipedia it!!

your trying to be clever, your not, your a brainwashed prick!!

PS... not seen you comment on ONE subject regarding Cardiff City. I'd love to meet you, bring
your mates

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:30 pm

taffyapple wrote:
Oh FFS I'm done with you son.... you never seen a girl in a boob tube and shorts? Where you live, in the
summer do you not see little uns walking to the shops from their house in bikinis?? if they tried that on certain
estates across Britain they'd get f*cking battered... everyone bar you will be laughing at your comments... Try
your ridiculous spiel again, i'll name TEN places... then you can Wikipedia it!!

your trying to be clever, your not, your a brainwashed prick!!

PS... not seen you comment on ONE subject regarding Cardiff City. I'd love to meet you, bring
your mates

You have changed the question now, first it was women in bikinis, now it is boob tubes and shorts. it is difficult to debate if you do not say what you mean.

I am sure there are plenty of places where it is unsafe for women to walk around scantily clad, not sure what that has got to do with Muslims though.

I have not 'tried to be clever' or trip you up, i am trying to have a sensible debate. It is ironic that you think I am brain washed, given you are the one that seems determined not to deal with reality. Where does your hatred of Muslims come from? Do you actually know any? You read a story about people being asked to be respectful of Ramadan and somehow that turns into women not being safe around Muslims. it does not make any sense. There are plenty of non-Muslims that women should be worried about.

No need to burst a blood vessel and start offering people out - its just the Internet.