80%
No
20%

Total votes : 122

Re: Poll: Ban the Burka

Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:55 pm

joe_public wrote:
Dafydd wrote:
And "the West" doesn't just mean Britain.

Not sure what your point is. Two countries have banned them, that does not constitute the 'western world' either.

The Burqa is not against the law in the UK, therefore wearing a Burqa is abiding by our rules.

What I'm getting at is that you said Burqa's weren't banned in the West. Technically, it isn't true, as a few countries have banned them in "The western world". Therefore, it would have to depend on where in the West you were to depend whether the Burqa was banned or not.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:00 pm

Dafydd wrote:
joe_public wrote:
Dafydd wrote:
And "the West" doesn't just mean Britain.

Not sure what your point is. Two countries have banned them, that does not constitute the 'western world' either.

The Burqa is not against the law in the UK, therefore wearing a Burqa is abiding by our rules.

What I'm getting at is that you said Burqa's weren't banned in the West. Technically, it isn't true, as a few countries have banned them in "The western world". Therefore, it would have to depend on where in the West you were to depend whether the Burqa was banned or not.

well - erm - technically, yes ..... but the point is they are not illegal in this country. I think i used the word western because someone else had.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:02 pm

joe_public wrote:well - erm - technically, yes ..... but the point is they are not illegal in this country. I think i used the word western because someone else had.

I know, I was just correcting you. I'm an arsehole like that ;)

Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:50 pm

Let them wear it if they want .

We should all wear them to CCS for the craic ........ just to wind up security :lol:

Legally they can't stop us so they would shite themselves at the Wall game :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:25 pm

Worth mentioning when we discuss British law and its attitude towards
religious 'hate' crime...

The EDL were accused of, and it was all over the papers, attacking a sikh
family in a car.

Meanwhile on the same day in Dudley, scores of Muslim youths smashed up
a Hindu temple. Not reported anywhere. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

This is fact. Non white race crime is a no-no, we're not supposed to mention
it, its not supposed to happen.

Same as 18 months ago when a vicar was dragged to the ground and beaten by Muslim
youths, barely warranted a line in a local West London paper.

Lets be honest, had it been white youths beating up an Imam outside a mosque it
would have been on Sky News

this is where Britain is falling apart. Steven Lawrence has a whole cultural centre
etc built in his name in South London, in the name of Racial harmony. Even though
there are STILL strong rumours as to him being a small time drug dealer. The
story was all over the press for years

Kriss Donald, the young Glasgow boy kidnapped, beaten to death and burned by
muslims just for being white barely raised a whisper.

Where's the parity?

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:09 am

I can't be arsed to debate this subject with the 13 year old lefty I'll just point him in this direction, its from the BBC a notorious hot bed of those who find free thinking a particularly difficult concept..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-10684359

For those who can't be bothered Syria have banned face coverings from University's, its un-islamic, does go on a bit about Egypt and several other predominantly muslim countries that tend towards the right of the political spectrum.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:21 am

Willy the Wombat wrote:I can't be arsed to debate this subject with the 13 year old lefty I'll just point him in this direction, its from the BBC a notorious hot bed of those who find free thinking a particularly difficult concept..

For those who can't be bothered Syria have banned face coverings from University's, its un-islamic, does go on a bit about Egypt and several other predominantly muslim countries that tend towards the right of the political spectrum.

See I think this is exactly right. By all means, if some stone age, oppressed female wishes to (or is forced to)
wear a black pillar box all day long then whoopy-doo, let her crack on! But not in everyone's face. If she wants
to do her garden, build a new wall, re-tile the roof while her old man picks his arse then fine!!... But when
she gets into town, it comes off!! When she goes to the shops, it comes off!! when she goes to school, it comes
off!! when she goes to the airport, it comes off!!

The Burkha and the nihab are the Muslim equivalent of topless sunbathing western women. Now correct me if im
wrong but im pretty sure a woman would soon be pulled up walking round the shops with no f*cking top on!!

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:35 am

taffyapple wrote:
Willy the Wombat wrote:I can't be arsed to debate this subject with the 13 year old lefty I'll just point him in this direction, its from the BBC a notorious hot bed of those who find free thinking a particularly difficult concept..

See I think this is exactly right. By all means, if some stone age, oppressed female wishes to (or is forced to)
wear a black pillar box all day long then whoopy-doo, let her crack on! But not in everyone's face. If she wants
to do her garden, build a new wall, re-tile the roof while her old man picks his arse then fine!!... But when
she gets into town, it comes off!! When she goes to the shops, it comes off!! when she goes to school, it comes

The Burkha and the nihab are the Muslim equivalent of topless sunbathing western women. Now correct me if im
wrong but im pretty sure a woman would soon be pulled up walking round the shops with no f*cking top on!!

Imagine the Afghans/Iraqi's etc back home discussing their imminent move to Britain:

Well Hassan, once we get there, we will be entitled to a free house

gerraway

No, serious now

A free car

do f**k off, your taking the piss

free education

whaaaaaaaa?

free health care

cough, splutter, choke

Ah, but one thing Hassan, one problem!

What problem, there's always a f*cking hitch innit braaa

They do not allow the Nihab, the full veil in public places, summat to do with security issues and
that their own youth culture hide their faces and are little rascals and robbers, they also suspect
that Males could wear a burkha and nobody would know.

Fair call to be honest, i f*cking wore one when the AliBaba brothers were after me, got quite hairy
walking the streets til i pretended i was my old Auntie Ashira!

So you would still go?

f**k aye bruv, not like Allahs gonna rain fire down on me is it? i only make the missus wear it cos
shes an ugly c**t!

Right then, i'll set it up

So how do I actually qualify to get in?

No sweat, just turn up, tell them your afraid for your life here in Afghanistan

Afraid of what? the f*cking scorpions?

NO! you daft fucker, tell them your afraid of persecution from the Taliban?

Eh? my brothers Taliban!! So's my Uncle Abdul!

Just tell them what I said!! Do you want this new gaff with clean running water or what?

DO f**k OFF!!! Running water?? I dont have to walk a mile to the well (SHE, dont I should say hehe)

Of course you/she dont

Right, im in!!

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:39 am

Ive come to the conclusion that those women that wear the Burka are just to f*cking ugly for public viewing, shoot me down for my ignorance but I really dont give a shit.......... I know one thing for sure, I would not be aloud to shop or enter a bank with my face covered up.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:12 pm

For those who can't be bothered Syria have banned face coverings from University's, its un-Islamic, does go on a bit about Egypt and several other predominantly Muslim countries that tend towards the right of the political spectrum.

I am not sure what your point is. Syria have banned the Burka from universities, not because it is un-islamic but because.
the practice ran counter to the academic values and traditions of Syrian universities.

Which makes perfect sense. It is difficult teaching, or being taught, with a veil over your mush. They have not banned the Burka though.

I am struggling to see what this has got to do with the UK.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:26 pm

joe_public wrote:

For those who can't be bothered Syria have banned face coverings from University's, its un-Islamic, does go on a bit about Egypt and several other predominantly Muslim countries that tend towards the right of the political spectrum.

I am not sure what your point is. Syria have banned the Burka from universities, not because it is un-islamic but because.
the practice ran counter to the academic values and traditions of Syrian universities.

Which makes perfect sense. It is difficult teaching, or being taught, with a veil over your mush. They have not banned the Burka though.

Joe you fibber!!

You know its relevant.

If these Muslim pressure groups are up in arms at the possibility of a ban or at least
restrictions on the wearing of the veil, then Britain should just be turning round and
pointing out that its NOT a slight on their religion, and that other Muslim countries
are exacting the same policies!!

They obviously cannot play the race/religion card in Syria or Turkey or Egypt. But in
this country the powers that be are terrified that they will upset the Muslims and their
knight on shining armour.... the wishy washy lefty liberals!!!

If a British woman tried walking through downtown Karachi in a boob tube and shorts
she would be torn to shreds, but no worries, we would not disrespect their culture in
such a way. The Nihab has only become prevalent in Britain in the last ten years, since
Iraq/Afghanistan/911... Its their way of sticking two fingers up to us.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:34 pm

A law should be brought in to force all women to wear polka dot bikinis and daisy dukes and nowt else. Well maybe a pair o lap dancing shoes :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:36 pm

If I was to walk in a bank or betting shop or anywhere where there was ready cash available wearing a black catsuit and balaclava with slit for eyes would I be arrested? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:45 pm

taffyapple wrote:
joe_public wrote:

Joe you fibber!!

You know its relevant.

If these Muslim pressure groups are up in arms at the possibility of a ban or at least
restrictions on the wearing of the veil, then Britain should just be turning round and
pointing out that its NOT a slight on their religion, and that other Muslim countries

They obviously cannot play the race/religion card in Syria or Turkey or Egypt. But in
this country the powers that be are terrified that they will upset the Muslims and their

If a British woman tried walking through downtown Karachi in a boob tube and shorts
she would be torn to shreds, but no worries, we would not disrespect their culture in
such a way. The Nihab has only become prevalent in Britain in the last ten years, since

Syria has stopped the wearing of the Burqa in universities. They have NOT banned the Burqa totally. So to say "other Muslim countries are exacting the same policies!!" is simply not correct.

Syria is one of the most authoritarian countries in the world, are you now suggesting we should use them as an example of how we should run our affairs?

What you can and cannot wear in a Muslim country is neither here nor there. THIS country has a long and proud history of tolerance - we can wear whatever we want. Muslims are just going along with that tradition. Or would you prefer we did start dictating to people what they can and cannot wear?

Are you suggesting that the new Tory Immigration Minister is a 'wishy washy lefty liberal'? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10674973

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:52 pm

ihatealiens wrote:If I was to walk in a bank or betting shop or anywhere where there was ready cash available wearing a black catsuit and balaclava with slit for eyes would I be arrested? :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, cos you would not have broken the law. In a bank you might get turfed out, but you would not be arrested. You could then walk down the street and not get arrested, cos there is no law against wearing balaclavas.

This is something some people seem to be missing, if a woman wants to hide her face, if you just ban the Burqa and not all face cover, all she needs to do is put a ski mask on - and that would not be covered by the law.

in the article about Syria you might have noticed that the article ends ...
Belgium's lower house of parliament has also passed a bill to ban clothing that hides a person's identity in public places, although it does not specifically refer to full-face Islamic veils.

which is a completely different situation, it does not discriminate in any way - but it does mean you can kiss goodbye to a lot of fancy dress costumes, hoodies, baseball caps, scarfs to keep you warm etc.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:56 pm

joe_public wrote:
ihatealiens wrote:If I was to walk in a bank or betting shop or anywhere where there was ready cash available wearing a black catsuit and balaclava with slit for eyes would I be arrested? :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, cos you would not have broken the law. In a bank you might get turfed out, but you would not be arrested. You could then walk down the street and not get arrested, cos there is no law against wearing balaclavas.

This is something some people seem to be missing, if a woman wants to hide her face, if you just ban the Burqa and not all face cover, all she needs to do is put a ski mask on - and that would not be covered by the law.

Belgium's lower house of parliament has also passed a bill to ban clothing that hides a person's identity in public places, although it does not specifically refer to full-face Islamic veils.

which is a completely different situation, it does not discriminate in any way - but it does mean you can kiss goodbye to a lot of fancy dress costumes, hoodies, baseball caps, scarfs to keep you warm etc.

why should I get turfed out of a bank and a woman wearing a Burka wouldn't? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:11 pm

ihatealiens wrote:
joe_public wrote:

why should I get turfed out of a bank and a woman wearing a Burka wouldn't? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree, covering your face in a bank is a security risk, but that does not mean they should be banned everywhere. Motorbike helmets are not allowed in banks, but they have not been banned.

Is a burqa allowed in a bank? Serious question, i dont know if they actually are

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:16 pm

yes they are my daughter works in one and she served a person wearing one recently who incidentally was quite rude I asked her what would happen if I was to walk in wearing a catsuit and balaclava and she replied I would probably be set upon by security :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:20 pm

But that's the Point Joe they have to wear it everywhere. Its so we cant see there ugly mugs,and there Husbands dont want you to see it either. The only times they dont have to wear it is when they are with immediate family members. Why should we let our kids be taught by a letterbox who's face they cant see. And a court case was had a few years ago because this teacher wanted to wear her Burka.
So in my humble opinion

BAN THE f*cking BURKA AND BAN IT NOW!! THANKS

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

ihatealiens wrote:yes they are my daughter works in one and she served a person wearing one recently who incidentally was quite rude I asked her what would happen if I was to walk in wearing a catsuit and balaclava and she replied I would probably be set upon by security :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a slight tangent - living up the valleys we have lots of small banks. Can't recall ever seeing any security about. Surely they dont have someone out the back just waiting for a bit of aggro?

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:22 pm

ihatealiens wrote:yes they are my daughter works in one and she served a person wearing one recently who incidentally was quite rude I asked her what would happen if I was to walk in wearing a catsuit and balaclava and she replied I would probably be set upon by security :lol: :lol: :lol:

NOW THAT'S RACIST IN MY OPINION

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:24 pm

joe_public wrote:

On a slight tangent - living up the valleys we have lots of small banks. Can't recall ever seeing any security about. Surely they dont have someone out the back just waiting for a bit of aggro?

No letterboxes in the Valleys Chief!! only Red ones :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:24 pm

joe_public wrote:

yeah but I wouldnt be causing aggro just wearing a catsuit and balaclava nothing wrong with that is there??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:26 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:But that's the Point Joe they have to wear it everywhere. Its so we cant see there ugly mugs,and there Husbands dont want you to see it either. The only times they dont have to wear it is when they are with immediate family members. Why should we let our kids be taught by a letterbox who's face they cant see. And a court case was had a few years ago because this teacher wanted to wear her Burka.
So in my humble opinion

BAN THE f*cking BURKA AND BAN IT NOW!! THANKS

No problem with policies in schools that teachers do not wear them - or rules in banks and garages etc, but a full on legal ban for everywhere is a bit OTT. Not harming anyone. And if they are determined to cover their face, there are other methods they could employ that would not be coverd by a ban on the Burqa

How would it be policed? the old bill have enough to do as it is.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:28 pm

Joe you fibber!!

You know its relevant.

Iraq/Afghanistan/911... Its their way of sticking two fingers up to us.[/quote]

Syria has stopped the wearing of the Burqa in universities. They have NOT banned the Burqa totally. So to say "other Muslim countries are exacting the same policies!!" is simply not correct.

Syria is one of the most authoritarian countries in the world, are you now suggesting we should use them as an example of how we should run our affairs?

What you can and cannot wear in a Muslim country is neither here nor there. THIS country has a long and proud history of tolerance - we can wear whatever we want. Muslims are just going along with that tradition. Or would you prefer we did start dictating to people what they can and cannot wear?

Are you suggesting that the new Tory Immigration Minister is a 'wishy washy lefty liberal'? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10674973[/quote]
Wrong yet again Joe!

"Exacting the same policies" does not mean a total ban on the Veil, nor do i wish to ban it completely!
I dont like it, i think its anti-British, anti-western, anti-Christian, anti-21st Century. However, as I've
previously stated, if these stupid stone-age idiots wish to wear them, then crack on. But just as in
some other Muslim countries... NOT in public places like schools, universities, Airports, shopping malls.

This Country has a long and proud history of tolerance?? I've been at City games where the police have
told little kids of about 10 to remove scarves from around their faces. I've seen police force young white
males to remove baseball caps even when its raining. Local authorities in England forced taxi drivers to
remove English Flags from their cabs during the world cup. 'Christmas Lights' have been renamed so's not
to upset the 'minorities'... Christian women asked to remove crosses from around their necks... where's
the tolerance of OUR beliefs, our customs, our fashions, our culture?

Give me one example of a muslim being forced to remove his or her religious icons or clothing?

By even mentioning a politician it proves how naive you must really be... If you believe anything
they say you need your head looking at

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:01 pm

taffyapple wrote:Joe you fibber!!

You know its relevant.

Are you suggesting that the new Tory Immigration Minister is a 'wishy washy lefty liberal'? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10674973[/quote]
Wrong yet again Joe!

"Exacting the same policies" does not mean a total ban on the Veil, nor do i wish to ban it completely!
I dont like it, i think its anti-British, anti-western, anti-Christian, anti-21st Century. However, as I've
previously stated, if these stupid stone-age idiots wish to wear them, then crack on. But just as in
some other Muslim countries... NOT in public places like schools, universities, Airports, shopping malls.

This Country has a long and proud history of tolerance?? I've been at City games where the police have
told little kids of about 10 to remove scarves from around their faces. I've seen police force young white
males to remove baseball caps even when its raining. Local authorities in England forced taxi drivers to
remove English Flags from their cabs during the world cup. 'Christmas Lights' have been renamed so's not
to upset the 'minorities'... Christian women asked to remove crosses from around their necks... where's
the tolerance of OUR beliefs, our customs, our fashions, our culture?

Give me one example of a muslim being forced to remove his or her religious icons or clothing?

By even mentioning a politician it proves how naive you must really be... If you believe anything
they say you need your head looking at[/quote]

Well if you agree the ban should only be for certain places, we aint that far appart after all - but i personally think your list goes a bit too far.

I know where youa re coming from in terms of lying, but he was not lying about anything becasue he was not actually talking about people or events that could be lied about, he was expressing an opinion - an onpinion is an opinion, nothing to lie about!

The reason for posting the link was to prove it is not just wish-washy-leftys that are opposed to a ban.

By the way, there might be one or two places that dont refer to Christmas, but they are very small in number, but for obvious reasons have received massive media coverage.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:31 pm

The places with new age names for Xmas etc are NOT few and far between, but the point
is... why on earth did it happen? Where's the erm..... tolerance of Centuries old traditions?

Has anyone asked the Muslims to change the name of Ramadam to something less 'confrontational'

Of course not, it would immediately be jumped upon by Islamic groups and called 'Anti-Islamic'
(oh and by numerous 'hands across the ocean' white British 'tolerant' groups)

Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:21 pm

taffyapple wrote:The places with new age names for Xmas etc are NOT few and far between, but the point
is... why on earth did it happen? Where's the erm..... tolerance of Centuries old traditions?

Has anyone asked the Muslims to change the name of Ramadam to something less 'confrontational'

Of course not, it would immediately be jumped upon by Islamic groups and called 'Anti-Islamic'

New age games? never heard of em, where do they play them then?

No-one has asked for a ban on christmas, certainly not the Muslim community

Speaking in light of yesterday's comments, Saleem Kidwai, secretary general of the Muslim Council of Wales, said, "We feel exactly the same. It's a religious occasion and should be celebrated accordingly whether people are following it or not. I don't think it upsets us in the Muslim community. We're very glad our Christian brothers and sisters are celebrating - this is what should be done rather than being too politically correct." http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... _page.html

if someone stops doing something, it does not mean it has been banned.

*There is a historical precedent for banning Christmas, but that comes from closer to home http://www.timetravel-britain.com/artic ... /ban.shtml

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:24 pm

joe_public wrote:
taffyapple wrote:The places with new age names for Xmas etc are NOT few and far between, but the point

Speaking in light of yesterday's comments, Saleem Kidwai, secretary general of the Muslim Council of Wales, said, "We feel exactly the same. It's a religious occasion and should be celebrated accordingly whether people are following it or not. I don't think it upsets us in the Muslim community. We're very glad our Christian brothers and sisters are celebrating - this is what should be done rather than being too politically correct." http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... _page.html

*There is a historical precedent for banning Christmas, but that comes from closer to home http://www.timetravel-britain.com/artic ... /ban.shtml

Next time you want to debate a point by being facetious and condescending, try checking the spelling!
It said "new age names" not games.

Congratulations on finding a muslim councillor who speaks 'pro' Christmas

I'm not even going to bother posting links to 'Winterval' towns etc, you've obviously been
trawling the WWW, you know they're out there.

Now find me a town where the Muslim festivals names have been changed so as not to
upset Christian sensibilities!

Your tolerant Britain basically only 'tolerates' the indigenous population... it positively
bends over and bites the pillow for everyone else, as do you it seems!

Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:13 am

taffyapple wrote:
joe_public wrote:

Next time you want to debate a point by being facetious and condescending, try checking the spelling!
It said "new age names" not games.

Congratulations on finding a muslim councillor who speaks 'pro' Christmas

I'm not even going to bother posting links to 'Winterval' towns etc, you've obviously been
trawling the WWW, you know they're out there.

Now find me a town where the Muslim festivals names have been changed so as not to
upset Christian sensibilities!

Your tolerant Britain basically only 'tolerates' the indigenous population... it positively
bends over and bites the pillow for everyone else, as do you it seems!

Sorry, was not being facetious, genuinely misread what you had written. it seemed a bit odd at the time. :oops:

Shops with new age names will, by their very nature, be non christian though, so not sure what your point is. Selling party lights instead of christmas lights, for instance, means they can be sold all year around rather than a few months at the end of the year.

I wont bother looking for Muslim festivals that have changed there names because i don't think there are any.

it was not difficult to find a muslim speaking out against 'winterval' cos they are the most vocal opponents of it. You are quite right, i have had a good look around the net, and everywhere i look muslims are complaining about the lack of Christmas. here is another example from oxford..

Sabir Hussain Mirza, chairman of the Muslim Council of Oxford, said: "I'm really upset about this. This is the one occasion which everyone looks forward to in the year. Christians, Muslims and other religions all look forward to Christmas.

"This is going to be a disaster. I'm angry and very, very disappointed.

"Christmas is special and we shouldn't ignore it. Christian people should be offended and 99 per cent of people will be against this. Christmas is part of being British and we shouldn't hide it away." http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/381015 ... Christmas/