Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

HMRC Playing Hardball With Portsmouth

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:27 pm

HMRC have lodged an appeal against Portsmouth CVA, agreed with it's creditors on 17th June, resulting in Portsmouth remaining in administration until the appeal is heard by the High Court possibly in October.

Therefore the Football League imposed transfer embargo will now continue until such time that Portsmouth exit administration. In 2008 Rotherham United, AFC Bournemouth and Luton Town were deducted between 15 & 20 points for failing to agree a CVA with their creditors.

It looks like Portsmouth are in for an extremely difficult season because if for no other reason than consistency surely they must be deducted between 15-20 points as the other clubs. Having to sell most of their best players including their best youngsters, unable to buy players or agree loans because of the embargo these are desperate times for the club.

I hope our board of directors are looking at this situation and realising that you cannot mess HMRC about and unless we want to be facing an ongoing transfer embargo, points deduction they need to find the money and bring the clubs tax affairs fully up todate.

Re: HMRC Playing Hardball With Portsmouth

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:38 pm

Poertsmouth cannot be deducted any more points as they took that hit while in the premier. I'm taking it that HMRC have lodged an appeal because Portsmouth have not complied to the CVA. If so then the next step would be to wind Portsmouth up, that is liquidate them like Chester.

How come Portsmouth went into admin with the HMRC as a creditor when they wanted to wind us up straight away?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:42 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 826344.stm

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:50 pm

Overthemoon wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8826344.stm

Bottom paragraph is interesting , surely we don't have 20 first team players ?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Poertsmouth cannot be deducted any more points as they took that hit while in the premier. I'm taking it that HMRC have lodged an appeal because Portsmouth have not complied to the CVA. If so then the next step would be to wind Portsmouth up, that is liquidate them like Chester.

How come Portsmouth went into admin with the HMRC as a creditor when they wanted to wind us up straight away?

AFC Bournemouth entered administration on 7th February 2008 and were immediately deducted 10 points with the club being relegated at the end of the season, on the 6th August 2008, and with the club still in administration, before the start of the 2008/09 season they were ordered by the Football League to demonstrate that they could fulfill their fixtures for that season.

The next day the Football League deducted a further 17 points as AFC Bournemouth were found guilty of being unable to agree a CVA with it's creditors. This has to be considered precedent and it does beg the question why should Portsmouth be treated any differently.

Watch this space for a ball breaking point deduction is this matter is not resolved by the start of the season.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:57 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Poertsmouth cannot be deducted any more points as they took that hit while in the premier

They could if they remain in administration or do not keep to the CVA. It has happened to a few clubs.

There is a contentious point here, as HMRC have appealed the CVA, are Pompey to get another deduction or does the CVA hold pending the appeal in October?

Whatever happens they cannot sign more than two more players before the transfer window shuts. They could obviously sign a load of loans after the embargo is lifted.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:57 pm

Bartlett_bluebird wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8826344.stm

23 according to the official site Team Profiles and 24 if you include Joe Ledley, as he's still listed as being our player! :lol:
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:04 pm

Overthemoon wrote:
Bartlett_bluebird wrote:

23 according to the official site Team Profiles and 24 if you include Joe Ledley, as he's still listed as being our player! :lol:
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I did a quick tally up in my head. I was slightly out. Didn't include Javis and Meades either .

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:14 pm

castleblue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Poertsmouth cannot be deducted any more points as they took that hit while in the premier. I'm taking it that HMRC have lodged an appeal because Portsmouth have not complied to the CVA. If so then the next step would be to wind Portsmouth up, that is liquidate them like Chester.

AFC Bournemouth entered administration on 7th February 2008 and were immediately deducted 10 points with the club being relegated at the end of the season, on the 6th August 2008, and with the club still in administration, before the start of the 2008/09 season they were ordered by the Football League to demonstrate that they could fulfill their fixtures for that season.

The next day the Football League deducted a further 17 points as AFC Bournemouth were found guilty of being unable to agree a CVA with it's creditors. This has to be considered precedent and it does beg the question why should Portsmouth be treated any differently.

Watch this space for a ball breaking point deduction is this matter is not resolved by the start of the season.

Interesting CB.

Bournemouth went into admin during the season and got a 10 point deduction. They went into the following season still in admin but still trying to negotiate a CVA. This they failed on so got another 17 point deduction.
As we know Luton got a 30 point deduction straight off mainly because they went into admin during the close season break and failed to agree on a CVA.
In Portsmouth case they have agreed a CVA hence why they only have received 9 points deduction. However the tax man is trying to overturn this and if successful then indeed Portsmouth could receive more points deductions. They have already received 9 points so it could be another Bournemouth where they could get 17 more deducted.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Wayne S wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Poertsmouth cannot be deducted any more points as they took that hit while in the premier

They could if they remain in administration or do not keep to the CVA. It has happened to a few clubs.

There is a contentious point here, as HMRC have appealed the CVA, are Pompey to get another deduction or does the CVA hold pending the appeal in October?

Whatever happens they cannot sign more than two more players before the transfer window shuts. They could obviously sign a load of loans after the embargo is lifted.

Yes agree now they could get more points deducted.

However if HMRC are successful would they not close down Portsmouth like they tried t do to us?

Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:06 am

I think the HMRC are getting really p!$$ed off with football clubs and how they are not treated the same as football creditors! This is wearing their patience and I think they may push for liquidation as I cannot see how Pompey can raise £24 or £37 million ? which is why I fear for us if we end up going to court again - HMRC will say this summer has proved we are insolvent.

wow it's all doom and gloom at the moment even the weather has turned - why oh why did we lose on May 22nd :evil:

Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:26 am

I beleive HMRC have lodged an appeal against the football league rule that football creditors must be paid first (and where possible in full) meaning there is less p in the £ for non football creditors, of which HMRC is one.

The football league rule regarding football creditors being paid first flies in the face of IA1986 and CA2006 and to be fair in a court it would appear HMRC only have to turn up to win their case. It will be interesting to see how the football League respond to Portsmouth as if Portsmouth are forced to pay all creditors equally, and not football creditors first, then they will be in breach of league rules....