Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ledley's Welsh Career in doubt ?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:42 am

Surely now that Joe has moved to Celtic, his Welsh career must be in serious doubt ?

We all know the standard of football up there is shocking and with the likes of: Collison, Davies, Edwards, Vaughan and

Ramsey when fit, along with Bale all playing in the Premier League.

You then have: Allen, Crofts, Dorman, Tudor-Jones, King and Stock playing in the Championship, he's going to be way down

the pecking order !

Re: Ledley's Welsh Career in doubt ?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:52 am

No chance. His Welsh career is still as strong as ever and Toshack will see that the same way. Do you think that, by playing for Celtic, Ledley is suddenly going to become a worse player than Edwards and Vaughan? He'll still be a pivotal part of the Welsh team and a first choice.

Christ, the bitterness towards Joe really does go on in some strange ways

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:02 am

Nottage Blue wrote:No chance. His Welsh career is still as strong as ever and Toshack will see that the same way. Do you think that, by playing for Celtic, Ledley is suddenly going to become a worse player than Edwards and Vaughan? He'll still be a pivotal part of the Welsh team and a first choice.

Christ, the bitterness towards Joe really does go on in some strange ways

Yes ,playing for Celtic in a shit league will obviously do nowt for him ,how can it better his game when his game aint being pushed to the max .Career wise he's made a big mistake ,SPL certainly no better than the championship

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:02 am

Nottage, sorry i disagree playing in Scotland against shit footballers every week will definately stop him improving.

He's only going to play in around 5 competitive games a year putting the City aside id have preferred him to move to another championship side.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:14 am

Midfield general wrote:What rubbish. Did it put Bellamy's Welsh Career in doubt..? NO

So why should it put Ledleys..?

I agree. John Hartson and Bellamy didn't suffer because they went up there. In fact, Hartsons Wales career got better.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:18 am

What a rubbish argument !!!!

Who else did we have to rival Hartson, no-one !

As for Bellamy. he went on-loan, not for four years !

Do you honestly believe that Toshack will pick Ledley over Bale ? Even Vaughan who will be playing in the premier league will

be above Joe in the pecking order !

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:21 am

Right, so now we're comparing a decent footballer with a big heart like Ledley with Bellamy who's got amazing skill & speed that would shine in any team in Europe.

As for Hartson, he was at best average for Wales and we never had anyone to replace him, like we have Ledley.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:25 am

The Trooper wrote:What a rubbish argument !!!!

Do you honestly believe that Toshack will pick Ledley over Bale ?

I think, as rubbish arguments go, you've shot yourself in the foot as Bale and Ledley played in the same Wales team anyway and Toshack never saw the need to pick one over the other

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:26 am

Stern wrote:Right, so now we're comparing a decent footballer with a big heart like Ledley with Bellamy who's got amazing skill & speed that would shine in any team in Europe.

As for Hartson, he was at best average for Wales and we never had anyone to replace him, like we have Ledley.

Maybe not comparing them skill for skill, like for like, but Bellamy's development didbn't suffer playing for Celtic. He didn't go backwards in his career

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:32 am

Stern wrote:Nottage, sorry i disagree playing in Scotland against shit footballers every week will definately stop him improving.

He's only going to play in around 5 competitive games a year putting the City aside id have preferred him to move to another championship side.

Fair enough, the lack of quality in the SPL falls well short of the championship, but they have better coaches up there and he will be playing European football, which can only improve him. Other players who've gone there haven't suffered so maybe it's not going to be as bad as some people paint it

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:42 am

Nottage Blue wrote:
Stern wrote:Nottage, sorry i disagree playing in Scotland against shit footballers every week will definately stop him improving.

Fair enough, the lack of quality in the SPL falls well short of the championship, but they have better coaches up there and he will be playing European football, which can only improve him. Other players who've gone there haven't suffered so maybe it's not going to be as bad as some people paint it

European football ????????? A couple of qualifiers against some minnows from places like Lichenstein ,football league of Wales :lol: :lol: ,& some other naff european league until they get found out & knocked on their arse & out .
Great european experience !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:44 am

Nottage, ur right about Bale he's turned into a great left winger for Spurs but Ledley is more of a holding midfielder these days.

As for Bellamy he played for Celtic on loan from Jan 31st 2005 - July 7th 2005 (5 and a bit months), footballers have longer injuries than that. If he had stayed for 4 yrs like Ledley is planning to his career would have gone down hill 100%.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:47 am

Stern wrote:Nottage, ur right about Bale he's turned into a great left winger for Spurs but Ledley is more of a holding midfielder these days.

As for Bellamy he played for Celtic on loan from Jan 31st 2005 - July 7th 2005 (5 and a bit months), footballers have longer injuries than that. If he had stayed for 4 yrs like Ledley is planning to his career would have gone down hill 100%.

I'm not sure whether Bellamy's career would have suffered though. I think it's all ifs and buts as, like you say, he was only there a matter of a few months, so we will never know for certain how it would have panned out. It looks like this has divided opinion as much as what we think of Ledley and we both seem to be in the 2 different camps regarding this :lol: so neither of us will win

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:50 am

burty wrote:
Nottage Blue wrote:

European football ????????? A couple of qualifiers against some minnows from places like Lichenstein ,football league of Wales :lol: :lol: ,& some other naff european league until they get found out & knocked on their arse & out .

Of course, you're right. Of course you are, your crystal ball has told you that Celtic won't reach a European final so I bow to your superior knowledge of the game. Well, the CL is probably out of reach, but, if my memory serves me right, they did reach a UEFA Cup final a few seasons back playing some pretty decent opposition along the way and in front of some pretty big crowds as well. Who's to say for certain that this won't happen again? Not me and certainly not you

Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:49 am

Midfield general wrote:Forgot that they reached the UEFA Cup final just a few years ago..?

Whether you like the Scottish league or not, you can't hide from the fact that the Championship is an average league and going on last season's campaign it proves that its probably on par with the Scottish Premier.

Remember Charlie Adam was in Rangers' reserves before he went to Blackpool, so was Gavin Rae before he went to Cardiff and many more so lets not act as if the Championship is some fantastic league because its not.

The whole notion that Adam in particular proves the SPL is greater than the Championship is a poor one.

Rangers, Celtic splash the cash ( which they don't really have ) to try to stockpile players. Desire to appease the fans with "big" signings, etc. Someone like Adam shows what he's really made of when he's gone to the Championship, playing tough games regularly.

Playing some of the teams in the SPL, you stagnate, not improve. You learn zero when there's no challenge.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:07 am

lets face it, apart from 'the root of all evil' which is money............its an awful move for Joe in so many ways including his international career. His agent and the deluded bigoted Celtic fans are the only ones who have seemingly benefitted. Bad, bad move Joe.............

Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:12 am

The championship is far better than that very very poor Scottish league. Joe may look good in amongst that dross but he'll be found out if he ever does get into the welsh squad. Bad bad move.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:35 am

Just seen on SSN that the 'mighty' Celtic agree to sell (i believe) their no1 keeper in Boruc ,& ,with Ledley on as a second arf sub lose against Phillidelphia !!!!! FACT .
Christ I bet Messi's quaking in his boots at the thought of possibly having to face Ledley & Co in next years CL ,OPINION .

Is this ok with you Nottage ?????

Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:59 am

Celtic cant even afford Bullard , that just about sums it up for me !

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:14 pm

burty wrote:Just seen on SSN that the 'mighty' Celtic agree to sell (i believe) their no1 keeper in Boruc ,& ,with Ledley on as a second arf sub lose against Phillidelphia !!!!! FACT .
Christ I bet Messi's quaking in his boots at the thought of possibly having to face Ledley & Co in next years CL ,OPINION .

Yeah, absolutely fine with me. But I read on Facebook someone saying (in all seriousness) that going to Celtic was a waste of time because we beat them in a game 2 years ago. When I pointed out that we played them only a year ago in a friendly down here, they said it was the Algarve cup!!!! :lol: :lol: Is this the level we're dealing with here? That people think the Algarve Cup is any less or more of a friendly than the same kind of game we played against them pre-season last year? And, so what if they lose to Philadelphia?? I don't think this will affect their season one iota. And did you expect Ledley to play the whole game? Very few players do in pre-season friendlies, so lets wait before writing his Celtic career off, shall we? And they sold Boruc? He'd been with them a fair few years and given them some good service in that time. I bet the Celtic fans will be wishing him well, and he doesn't even come from Glasgow. And why are you using Messi "quaking in his boots" to demonstrate your point on how good Celtic are? I don't quite see the link

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:37 pm

burty wrote:
Nottage Blue wrote:

Actually, Celtic come in to the Champions League at the 3rd Qualifying Round stage, meaning they will have to play one of Zenit St Petersburg, Ajax, Fenerbahce, Dinamo Kiev or SC Braga, (hardly "minnows from places like Leichtenstein now are they??)

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:42 pm

3 of those, Ajax, Fenerbahce and Braga you'd say Celtic stand a decent chance of beating, as well

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:44 pm

Midfield general wrote:Tell that to Henrik Larsson, Chris Sutton, John Hartson, Ally McCoist and even Gazza, before they all went to the SPL their careers stagnated.

The standard in the Championship isn't as good as some protray it to be.

larsson was always quality, went for the money.

Sutton? Shit. Hartson? Shit. McCoist? Please,look at his record - shit outside Scotland.

Gazza? Past it when he went to the SPL. Really, his career was shit after Jockand - remember his Boro, Everton stints, anyone?

So, Larsson aside, you've picked a really, really good group of players to prove a point. Pity it's not the point you were intending...

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:51 pm

The problem with saying McCoist's career stagnated when he went to the SPL is that he scored bag loads of goals after leaving England for Scotland. He is among Rangers all time ever scorers, if not THE top scorer, so to say it stagnated is wrong. It didn't

Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:57 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:The problem with saying McCoist's career stagnated when he went to the SPL is that he scored bag loads of goals after leaving England for Scotland. He is among Rangers all time ever scorers, if not THE top scorer, so to say it stagnated is wrong. It didn't

It didn't stagnate, I'm not saying that.

I'm pointing out he only had a career in Jockland because, well, couldn't cut it in England.

Look at Kris Boyd - scores for fun in SPL. With his goal scoring record, you'd think lots of clubs after him. Ends up at Boro... no Prem interest.

Fact remains, outside the Old Firm, teams are league 1-2 standard. Individual players may cut the mustard in the Prem/Championship, the majority wouldn't.

Willo Flood did well up there... christ, the Bhoys have the legend that is Samararse...

Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:03 pm

nerd wrote:
Nottage Blue wrote:The problem with saying McCoist's career stagnated when he went to the SPL is that he scored bag loads of goals after leaving England for Scotland. He is among Rangers all time ever scorers, if not THE top scorer, so to say it stagnated is wrong. It didn't

I'm pointing out he only had a career in Jockland because, well, couldn't cut it in England.

Look at Kris Boyd - scores for fun in SPL. With his goal scoring record, you'd think lots of clubs after him. Ends up at Boro... no Prem interest.

Fact remains, outside the Old Firm, teams are league 1-2 standard. Individual players may cut the mustard in the Prem/Championship, the majority wouldn't.

Willo Flood did well up there... christ, the Bhoys have the legend that is Samararse...

I was agreeing with you, Nerd, it was the other post I was disagreeing with

Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:10 pm

im pretty sure Joe doesn't lose any sleep over Tudor-Jones takeing his plce in the squad!

Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:
nerd wrote:

I was agreeing with you, Nerd, it was the other post I was disagreeing with

Ah, should learn not to read whilst working. That'll teach me not to work...

Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:16 pm

Not knocking joe for joining celtic,but will knock him for joining an unproven management team lennon,mjallby,thompson,parker all decent players but dont think can make joe into a world beater especially in the pop and crisps SPL

Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:38 am

Nottage Blue wrote:
burty wrote:Just seen on SSN that the 'mighty' Celtic agree to sell (i believe) their no1 keeper in Boruc ,& ,with Ledley on as a second arf sub lose against Phillidelphia !!!!! FACT .
Are you saying I've put stuff on facebook ??????? No :lol: :lol: .Where did I say Boruc was from Glasgow ????? You want to stay off the sauce fella ,ya fukin barking .Ya flapping ya gums coz I got an opinion ,this is a msgboard where people air their views & opinions .

Yeah, absolutely fine with me. But I read on Facebook someone saying (in all seriousness) that going to Celtic was a waste of time because we beat them in a game 2 years ago. When I pointed out that we played them only a year ago in a friendly down here, they said it was the Algarve cup!!!! :lol: :lol: Is this the level we're dealing with here? That people think the Algarve Cup is any less or more of a friendly than the same kind of game we played against them pre-season last year? And, so what if they lose to Philadelphia?? I don't think this will affect their season one iota. And did you expect Ledley to play the whole game? Very few players do in pre-season friendlies, so lets wait before writing his Celtic career off, shall we? And they sold Boruc? He'd been with them a fair few years and given them some good service in that time. I bet the Celtic fans will be wishing him well, and he doesn't even come from Glasgow. And why are you using Messi "quaking in his boots" to demonstrate your point on how good Celtic are? I don't quite see the link