Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Celtic signing Ledley sums up Scottish football

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:03 am

Law, Bremner, Dalglish, Hansen, Souness

Shankley, Busby, Ferguson

The national team qualfied for every World Cup between 1974 and 1990. They missed out in 1994 but then proceeded to qualify for Euro 96 and France 98. Since then..nothing.

Celtic show how far Scottish football has fallen. They sign Ledley on a free because he is out of contract and technically from abroad so don't have to pay a fee as he is under 24. They exploited that loop hole because the couldn't affored anyone else. Ledly remember has no Premier League experience. They couldn't afford Bullard's wages. They couldn't afford to get in an experience manager' Taking on Lennon is a huge gamble. Celtic used to be a force. This summer has shown how weak Scottish football has become. It is very sad.

Re: Celtic signing Ledley sums up Scottish football

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:58 am

I hate Scottish football & have no respect for it.

The shit SPL teams like St Mirran are no better or bigger than Luton but I dont think Ledley had a choice of where he was going nobody in the Prem seemed to want him @ 2.5m & after all the bollocks he couldn't really have stay with us. One of them things

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:31 am

recharding wrote:Law, Bremner, Dalglish, Hansen, Souness

Shankley, Busby, Ferguson

The national team qualfied for every World Cup between 1974 and 1990. They missed out in 1994 but then proceeded to qualify for Euro 96 and France 98. Since then..nothing.

Celtic show how far Scottish football has fallen. They sign Ledley on a free because he is out of contract and technically from abroad so don't have to pay a fee as he is under 24. They exploited that loop hole because the couldn't affored anyone else. Ledly remember has no Premier League experience. They couldn't afford Bullard's wages. They couldn't afford to get in an experience manager' Taking on Lennon is a huge gamble. Celtic used to be a force. This summer has shown how weak Scottish football has become. It is very sad.

Both Celtic and Rangers have made European Finals in the past 7 years. Celtic beat Manchester U only 3 seasons ago.

Cardiff City have benefited from Ross McCormack, Chris Burke and Kevin McNaughton in recent seasons. Scottish football might not be the force it once was but I believe just below the surface there is promise, they just need more investment and a decent manager at National level.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:21 am

The game up here needs a massive overhaul, and not just in financial injections. Our game is overseen at different levels by at least 7 different bodies and that has to change and come under just one or maybe 2 organisations.

IMO our game started to suffer when we started watching what the Dutch and Italians etc did at youth level and tried to copy instead of going the way we were. All of a sudden we stopped making the big tournaments and our European reps became the laughing stock of Europe - clubs wanted drawn against them.

The old firm then decided to start spending big on players who just weren't worth the cash. Celtic were lucky that Gordon Strachan took on a job at Middlesbrough so they could get some cash back while Rangers are letting anyone go and have debts of around £50-£60 million, if not more.

If Joe thinks a couple of shitey games in Europe will improve his carrer along with the 4 times a season bigot fest then best of luck to him, but I'll quite happily take a walk along to Pittodrie when they are up here and remind him of why this was probably the worst move for his career even if it did put a few quid in his pocket.

Sorry to bore you all :lol:

Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:34 am

how much did Celtic pay for Massimo Donati ffs , waste of money !! They signed a half fit Killen from CCFC when he was down here having talks and they wasted £500k on Willo flood . Plus who else would have paid over £2mil for Loovens ?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:42 pm

I would have paid over 2 million for Loovens. Him and Johnson were outstanding.

Also, Bullard wanted 75k a week. Nobody would pay Jimmy Bullard that. He is a good player, but his antics and the fact "everybody loves me, I'm Jimmy Bullard" stuff makes him overrated. He isn't that good. He's not in the same league as people like Carrick etc, and is far too injury prone.

Rant over

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:45 pm

I, too, find Jimmy "Soccer AM's Best Friend" Bullard overrated. Runs up too many blind alleys for my liking