Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

HELP WANTED REGARDING STEVE JONES

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:58 am

i have started a facebook group in aid of ex-marathon WORLD RECORD holder steve jones who as held the british marathon record for nearly 25 years! i want his home town to reckonise steves achievements which includes winning the london marathon[85] chicago[84,85] and new york[88] ... as well as that steve as competed in the olympics,commenweath games and european championships! the list really does go on! ..... steve is the only athlete to have held a world record that as never been awarded the obe and in ebbw vale is home town hes virtually unknown... i`m calling on cardiff city fans to help me in my quest to make sure people remember who he is and for his 25 years british record to be honoured! thanks! http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=9 ... 9196588649 this is the link you need for "steve jones 2:07:13 marathon"

Re: HELP WANTED REGARDING STEVE JONES

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:00 am

Are you Lee Aherne the runner? Steves record and performance are fantastic and defaintly need rewarding being from Ebbw Vale myself who does running and from a family of runners getting Steve rewarded is well over due. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:11 am

I remember Steve running in Marathons at New York etc--Top Bloke great athlete

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:19 am

he was in the RAF at St Athens too !

Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:36 am

If he doesn't have any sort of royal acknowledgment then that's a travesty. He didn't reject one did he? If not, he should be recognised for such remarkable achievements. :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:39 am

Zabier wrote:If he doesn't have any sort of royal acknowledgment then that's a travesty. He didn't reject one did he? If not, he should be recognised for such remarkable achievements. :ayatollah:

he was offered a commision in the RAF but refused due to the fact that he was a techie and wanted to stay a techie , so he was sort of told to retire coz the big wigs in the RAF vant be seen as having a NCO as a world champion holding a world record . Bloody Rodneys :lol:

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:36 pm

Martyn1963 wrote:
Zabier wrote:If he doesn't have any sort of royal acknowledgment then that's a travesty. He didn't reject one did he? If not, he should be recognised for such remarkable achievements. :ayatollah:

he was offered a commision in the RAF but refused due to the fact that he was a techie and wanted to stay a techie , so he was sort of told to retire coz the big wigs in the RAF vant be seen as having a NCO as a world champion holding a world record . Bloody Rodneys :lol:

Yes Martyn he was at RAF St.Athan. When I was in the RAF alot of my mates met him at mets such as RAF Cosford. He was a guy who had time for everyone and became very popular. The commission story is very true and most felt he would not make a good officer because he was not stuck up. Welshmen cant be stuck up.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:59 pm

Ebbw Blue wrote:Are you Lee Aherne the runner? Steves record and performance are fantastic and defaintly need rewarding being from Ebbw Vale myself who does running and from a family of runners getting Steve rewarded is well over due. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

yes that is me, ebbw blue. may i ask who you are?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:07 pm

this is how good steve was ....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlinW5Zw ... re=related

Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:14 pm

Steve was a great Welshman who deserves respect and recognition. :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:48 pm

please keep joining this group please! thanks! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:40 pm

Darren Stevens you may know my father Ray Stevens and brother Neil

Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:24 am

Ebbw Blue wrote:Darren Stevens you may know my father Ray Stevens and brother Neil

yes of course i do! haha! ... i ran with you dad years ago! on the steve jones facebook group theres a photo of your dad there with jonesy and the rest of club 69 ... your dad was a very good runner!

Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:08 pm

thanks to everyone who responded :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: we in wales must treasure our sporting icons of yester year, especially ones who is still the british record holder! :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:10 pm

AHERNE wrote:
Ebbw Blue wrote:Darren Stevens you may know my father Ray Stevens and brother Neil

yes of course i do! haha! ... i ran with you dad years ago! on the steve jones facebook group theres a photo of your dad there with jonesy and the rest of club 69 ... your dad was a very good runner!

Thanks Lee it is crazy when in our borough we have not had to many people make it at sport, only person i can think off is Mark Williams. As a borough we should be rewarding our people who have or had exceptional talent and Steve Jones defaintly did he should get the freedom of the borough to start and then be rewarded nationally.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:54 pm

Ebbw Blue wrote:
AHERNE wrote:

Thanks Lee it is crazy when in our borough we have not had to many people make it at sport, only person i can think off is Mark Williams. As a borough we should be rewarding our people who have or had exceptional talent and Steve Jones defaintly did he should get the freedom of the borough to start and then be rewarded nationally.

he was never even honoured by the queen for breaking the world record ebbw blue .. i cant think of one athlete thats held a world record thats never been overlooked like this... as for blaenau gwent, kids should be saying if steve could do it, then so could i. but kids in blaenau gwent dont even know who he is! its bloody typical welsh! .. unless you play rugby, your a nobody!

Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:01 pm

I (Stephen Light) was in school with your brother, I remember him as always going down Eugene Cross Park for the egg and the footy. (Remember when City played EV in the Welsh Cup down there? EV could have won that night!!)

STEVE JONES a legend regularly saw him pounding the pavements of Ebbw Vale, think my old man knew him to talk to.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:09 pm

yes we drew 1 1 darren adams scored a late equaliser, if the ebbw full back i cleared it instead of trying to cut inside Ebbw would have won.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:22 pm

Ebbw Blue wrote:yes we drew 1 1 darren adams scored a late equaliser, if the ebbw full back i cleared it instead of trying to cut inside Ebbw would have won.

i actually wanted ebbw to win that night cause my friend was playing for ebbw! bloody hell they came so close!

Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:58 am

AHERNE wrote:
Ebbw Blue wrote:yes we drew 1 1 darren adams scored a late equaliser, if the ebbw full back i cleared it instead of trying to cut inside Ebbw would have won.

i actually wanted ebbw to win that night cause my friend was playing for ebbw! bloody hell they came so close!

Mick McCarthy was sat in front of me no doubt spying on Nathan Blake, think Cohen Griffith got the City goal. Never saw the bank looking so full!! I was working for Harrisons builders merchants at the time who sponsered the game, had complimentary tickets. A cracking night.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:20 pm

tangledupinblue wrote:
AHERNE wrote:

Mick McCarthy was sat in front of me no doubt spying on Nathan Blake, think Cohen Griffith got the City goal. Never saw the bank looking so full!! I was working for Harrisons builders merchants at the time who sponsered the game, had complimentary tickets. A cracking night.

adams scored the goal.