Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Stopping greedy agents like Baldwin

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:45 am

Worryingly It appears that the greedy football Agent David Baldwin from Base soccer who "Advised " Joe to bite the hand that fed him is also the agent of Jay Bothroyd.

He clearly advised Joe this time last year to run down his contract and refuse any offers in order that he could maximise Joes deal and his own massive profits. He may even have had the Celtic sting in mind then--

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 782380.stm

It is quite possible that he is now advising Jay to do likewise --and no doubt he will advise any other of his players to do this. Lukily Whittingham is not with this snake he is with Key management.

The question is how do we stop people like him from constantly screwing our club.

The only way is to make Bothroyd and the like sit in the stands-refuse to play him unless he changes his agent and/Or signs a new contract this summer--This was suggested last year with Joe but its not a positive step and we need Jay every game.

I would stop any communication with Baldwin and his boys and make life difficult for players who use such agents.

The FA should also do something to stop agents excessive demands.

Re: Stopping greedy agents like Baldwin

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:17 am

Mafor wrote:Worryingly It appears that the greedy football Agent David Baldwin from Base soccer who "Advised " Joe to bite the hand that fed him is also the agent of Jay Bothroyd.

He clearly advised Joe this time last year to run down his contract and refuse any offers in order that he could maximise Joes deal and his own massive profits. He may even have had the Celtic sting in mind then--

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 782380.stm

It is quite possible that he is now advising Jay to do likewise --and no doubt he will advise any other of his players to do this. Lukily Whittingham is not with this snake he is with Key management.

The question is how do we stop people like him from constantly screwing our club.

The only way is to make Bothroyd and the like sit in the stands-refuse to play him unless he changes his agent and/Or signs a new contract this summer--This was suggested last year with Joe but its not a positive step and we need Jay every game.

I would stop any communication with Baldwin and his boys and make life difficult for players who use such agents.

The FA should also do something to stop agents excessive demands.

Very worrying. :twisted:

Greedy bastards. :twisted: :twisted:

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:41 am

I understand the sentiment about agents being "greedy". However I do believe that agents are here to say and for one very simple reason.....Anyone, in any form of life, can employ the service of an agent to do a job for them.

So working on the basis that they are here to stay it maybe prudent to work with them rather than against them.

If an agent particularly likes working "with" a particular club that can work in our favour - when we are looking for players.

Agents are only human and if a club is obstructive with them then they are only going to tell their clients that we could potentially be obstructive with the player.

There are many agents who are qualified solicitors - and as such have a duty of care to their clients to give them best advice. In Joes case, much as we disliked it, the best financial advice (for Joe) was that he could potentially earn more from running his contract down than agreeing a new one.

A few years ago there was a very good agent that used to work at Loosemores.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:44 am

Greedy yes BUT did Ledley have a clue to the tactics used by Baldwin ?? Maybe this is the TRUTH that CCFC fans need to know coz it seems strange now all of a sudden that a club in need of money seems to be giving away its best assets , perhaps Jenkins and Co were trying to thrash out a deal with Stoke for CCFC's best interests and Ledley and Baldwin were just trying to line their pockets ?? Ridsdale was a football man with MANY contacts and experience with agents working both ways but even if he failed with Ledley then what chance anybody else at CCFC !

The TRUTH is out there , somewhere ! :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:25 am

Players should grow some balls and look after there own interests and stop paying these shady folk.

Baldwin probably made a cool half million if not more on the back of celtic getting him for hee haw.

I know(well knew) an agent who made 10% on any transfer fee of his clients, as well as what the player pays him as well. It was disgusting.

Get back to the manager and the player sitting under the table with the lightbulb hanging, "ok boss, I want......" "ok kid, here's what you're getting, take it or f**k off..."

Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:34 am

I detest agaents, they're parasites on the game. Having said that, they're here for the foreseeable future and I hate the fact that some of the money I pay for a ticket goes towards these people. I just wish players would use the free PFA agents, it would save everyone a lot of money and drive these people out of the game. James Milner uses this facility and he seems to have done ok out of his career

Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:21 am

Was it Brian Clough who refused to have meetings with players and agents. He said it is you as a player I want not your bloody agent. You should be grateful to play for my club and accept what is on offer cos it is what we think is fair and what we can afford.

I know times have changed but I would have liked to have seen an agent try and discuss anything with Cloughie as he bent their ear whilst throwing them out of his office.