Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ledley signed for Celtic.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:23 am

Dunno why it hasn't been posted to be fair.

He's signed for Celtic. DJ said he was shocked that no premiership team made an offer for him. Stoke enquired but no offer materialised.

Cardiff are going to fight for a compo fee, obviously.

Re: Ledley signed for Celtic.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:30 am

Dafydd wrote:Dunno why it hasn't been posted to be fair.

He's signed for Celtic. DJ said he was shocked that no premiership team made an offer for him. Stoke enquired but no offer materialised.

Cardiff are going to fight for a compo fee, obviously.

perhaps people are waiting for official confirmation rather than jumping the gun. I know, doesn't usually happen on this board, but hey!

Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:45 am

If this is true and I have no reason to dispute it I will rmember the good things but will always think of him exactly the same way as Spurs fans view Sol Campbell.

Sad outcome really... hometown club and all that. Loyalty and integrity he has not.

Ceri

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:00 am

Big Ceri wrote:If this is true and I have no reason to dispute it I will rmember the good things but will always think of him exactly the same way as Spurs fans view Sol Campbell.

Sad outcome really... hometown club and all that. Loyalty and integrity he has not.

Ceri

Eh?

Stoke made an offer we refused. Can't blame Ledley if that's the only offer out there.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:06 am

No one is saying anything, but Stoke did want him and Jones is telling a few porkies I believe :roll:

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:09 am

nerd wrote:
Big Ceri wrote:If this is true and I have no reason to dispute it I will rmember the good things but will always think of him exactly the same way as Spurs fans view Sol Campbell.

Ceri

Eh?

Stoke made an offer we refused. Can't blame Ledley if that's the only offer out there.

An awkward one this, although Ledley was a free agent, was a deal only happening if Stoke could forgo the tribunal for compensation? It seemed they were worried about paying around £3million and removed the deal to Ledley because Cardiff would not take their cast offs.

Not quite the free agent we thought he was if he went to the Prem.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:25 am

Correct me if I'm wrong - but Joe is a free agent (after end of June) - and could have made a pre-contract deal with another club at any time from January.

Celtic and Stoke have made offers to him (as well as Cardiff) and he is reported to prefer Celtic.

Stoke would have to pay compensation to Cardiff if he went there - suggested as £3m - but the only contact between the clubs has been a Stoke offer of player(s) in lieu of a compensation cash payment or taking a chance on a tribunal decision - allegedly Tongue and Kitson. Cardiff rejected the offer. That is not part of the contract offer to Joe - and neither he nor his agent would be involved.

He left Celtic for the second time without signing a contract - neither the Celtic website nor the BBC have confirmed he has signed. The press speculation is that everything was lined up but that Celtic and Cardiff were confirming with FIFA whether any 'training' compensation would be due - and Celtic wanted to clear this before confirming a contract and salary offer. They have assumed no compensation and this has influenced the size of offer made, but the wording of the FIFA rule has been interpreted differently by the 2 clubs.

Stoke seem to have accepted Joe is not interested in them - and have moved on. They have said they will not be chasing him - but if he or his agent do try to reopen the option they will talk.

I expect Joe to sign for Celtic this weekend (but only when he has gone up for a third time) and for us to get nada in compensation. Anything else would be a bonus.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:11 am

Ceri

Sorry, but thats CRAP!

Joe gave his all to CCFC for 15yrs, you dont think thats loyalty!! :lol: come on get a grip of yourself. Players move on - it happens! And I wish Joe all the best in the future, the memories have been amazing - and "HE WOULD PROBABLY STILL BE HERE IF CARDIFF CITY FOOTBALL CLUB WEREN'T SO f*cking INCOMPETENT!"

People and "FANS" need to understand the situation in full, and what Joe has gone through lately regarding the current and recent situations!

I think Carlccfc's post tonight will probably give a little more insight towards the transfer specualtions of Joe Ledley! so look out for his post this afternooon.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:20 am

Another point Merlin is that people wouldn't be blasting Ledley if Ridsdale had accepted the 6m.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:10 pm

IMO Ledley gets respect off me for playing out his contract.

He could've handed in a transfer request, or even signed for a pre-contract for someone in January.
He wanted Premiership football with Cardiff, and put us 2-1 up Vs Blackpool.

He refused to give interviews at the end of the game as he was so devastated.
I was angry the other day, but i think Ledleys done his bit for City over the years.