Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

PS3 help needed (Yes, I'm asking for help)

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:52 pm

Ok, so I have this problem with my PS3. It started happening a few days ago.

When my controller was dieing (e.g. saying it needed charging), I plugged it in, and I was getting the error "The maximum power that can be supplied to USB devices has been reached. Please remove at least one device" or something similar.

The problem is the controller was the only thing plugged into the USB slot.

This leads to me not being able to charge my controller, so the controller goes dead. Now I can't play the PS3 because the controller is dead, and it won't let me charge it.

HELP ME.

Re: PS3 help needed (Yes, I'm asking for help)

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:59 pm

have you tried a factory reset from the system settings using the remote whilst plugged into the cable - even tho it might not be charging, it may still be able to run on the constant power supply. you could possibly lose saved data doing this though. Otherwise - take it to your local stockist - it should be under warrant or such? Otherwise take some cover out on it, wait until the cooling off period is over, then make a claim!! or add it to your accidental cover on your home insurance - and follow my last instruction!!!

anyway, hope you get it sorted! ;)

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Buy a new controller?

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Nah there's no power going to it whatsoever, I think it might be an oversurge of power to the USB slots which completely fried them, so I'll probably just phone Sony and give them shit.

And FISH, I thought about that, but I'm trying to get a cost-free option :P

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:04 pm

Dafydd wrote:Nah there's no power going to it whatsoever, I think it might be an oversurge of power to the USB slots which completely fried them, so I'll probably just phone Sony and give them shit.

And FISH, I thought about that, but I'm trying to get a cost-free option :P

Tight bassa :lol:

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:55 pm

How old is the controller mate, If it is under 12 months it is covered by the manfactuers warrenty, I had a problem with my controller and contacted Sony as I purchased the controller in feb had to send it off direct to them recorded delivery 3 days later I had a brand new sent to me a quality service, If it is under 12 months claim it costs nothing and your entitled to.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:27 pm

hughesybloke wrote:How old is the controller mate, If it is under 12 months it is covered by the manfactuers warrenty, I had a problem with my controller and contacted Sony as I purchased the controller in feb had to send it off direct to them recorded delivery 3 days later I had a brand new sent to me a quality service, If it is under 12 months claim it costs nothing and your entitled to.

Sorry but the 12 month thing is rubbish really. Under the sale of goods act you could argue that a controller should last a lot longer, obviously it's got to have been looked after and not thrown at the wall. The act states that the dealer that sold it to you has a responsibility to you for up to five years. So you could just take it back to the shop that sold it to you and demand a replacement. I take it you bought it within the last few years? Google the sale of goods act, it really is quite straight forward. 12 month guarantees and extended warranties are for mugs really. :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:57 am

Yeah I bought it just after christmas at Tesco, they had some deal on.

I'll look into that, thanks guys.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:55 am

Plug your controller into a laptop or pc and charge - if you get the same issue u know it's ducked!

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:08 pm

Bluemovie wrote:Plug your controller into a laptop or pc and charge - if you get the same issue u know it's ducked!

Motion seconded! I always charge my PS3 controllers in the PC because it's easier.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:10 pm

There is a small hole at the back of the controller, it just to the right of the centre near the top and right to the screwhole(lol im outta breathe) stick a pin in there and hold for 10-15secs when you hear it clicking and that may reset it, failing that take it back to Tesco and exchange.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:01 pm

Tried to charge it in the PC - there's been no luck. I just keep getting a popup about unrecognised device, and telling me it can't install the drivers, but I thought that it would charge regardless of whether it has the drivers installed or not.

I think it could be the lead, but I'd like to hope not, I don't think I've got any other USB 2.0 leads in the house at the moent :evil:

Also, I tried to reset it, there's no luck, I think it's completely dead so I'm gonna try and charge it again later if I can find a different lead.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:42 pm

f**k it mate, ring Tesco and ask them if you can bring it back as they are liable not Sony as Tesco sold it.