Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FAO SLUDGE

Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:48 pm

How do you think the New Coalition Govt has done so far after the mess Labour Left us in, Now Sludge Honest Opinion Please :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: FAO SLUDGE

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:27 pm

Well has there been any difference?

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:36 pm

To be fair it is not fully Labours fault for the mess the country is in. They did contribute to the mess but you got to look a little bit further back in time to the tories to find the root of a lot of the problems, Lets not forget who killed the working class industries

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:42 pm

The new govt are like bill and ben the flower pot men, both as daft as a brush, sludge put them straight :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:47 pm

NinianParkWasMyWife wrote:To be fair it is not fully Labours fault for the mess the country is in. They did contribute to the mess but you got to look a little bit further back in time to the tories to find the root of a lot of the problems, Lets not forget who killed the working class industries

This could be another long debate BUT are we a working class country anymore? Most manufacturing has gone abroad where the labour market is cheaper. From what I see the governments over the last few decades have sold our workforce down the line but not re-invested in them. Of course you can better yourself if you pay for it, thats why there are alot more educational establishments about, but how much of this workforce are in a position to do that?

The worrying thing as far as I'm concerned is that I'm seeing the more highly trained workforced jobs going abroad. I have worked on a few projects that is being shared between the EU countries where I believe we are capable of doing it all ourselves. Obviously the governments of the day have hidden agendas that dont suit the British citizen.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:04 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
NinianParkWasMyWife wrote:To be fair it is not fully Labours fault for the mess the country is in. They did contribute to the mess but you got to look a little bit further back in time to the tories to find the root of a lot of the problems, Lets not forget who killed the working class industries

This could be another long debate BUT are we a working class country anymore? Most manufacturing has gone abroad where the labour market is cheaper. From what I see the governments over the last few decades have sold our workforce down the line but not re-invested in them. Of course you can better yourself if you pay for it, thats why there are alot more educational establishments about, but how much of this workforce are in a position to do that?

The worrying thing as far as I'm concerned is that I'm seeing the more highly trained workforced jobs going abroad. I have worked on a few projects that is being shared between the EU countries where I believe we are capable of doing it all ourselves. Obviously the governments of the day have hidden agendas that dont suit the British citizen.

100% Agree with you Bakedalasker, The Construction Industry for example has gone to f**k altogether, Employers now prefer to employ our Eastern European friends before British workers as they know they can pay them peanuts. This Government doesn't give a flying f**k about the inevitable looming catastrophe which is on the horizon, I for one am very concerned. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:07 pm

2 cabinet ministers have resigned so far for telling porkies about their domestic arrangements. Not bad going for 6 weeks in and certainly that David Laws bloke should have been charged with fraud for conning the tax payer out of £40,000.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:12 pm

Forever Blue wrote:How do you think the New Coalition Govt has done so far after the mess Labour Left us in, Now Sludge Honest Opinion Please :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

?

Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:41 pm

Marc wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

100% Agree with you Bakedalasker, The Construction Industry for example has gone to f**k altogether, Employers now prefer to employ our Eastern European friends before British workers as they know they can pay them peanuts. This Government doesn't give a flying f**k about the inevitable looming catastrophe which is on the horizon, I for one am very concerned. :ayatollah:

Employers may take on 'our east European friends' but they still have to pay them the going rate. As far as i can see they get taken on because they work harder and dont complain so much. The migration from places to Poland to here has led to an increase in salaries in Poland, so there are more of them going back than coming over now.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:55 pm

Forever Blue wrote:How do you think the New Coalition Govt has done so far after the mess Labour Left us in, Now Sludge Honest Opinion Please :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

The global capitalist system collapses - and it is Labour's fault. - I really don't get that one at all.

The tried and tested method of getting out of this sort of problem is the use of 'Keynesian Economics', i.e, put more money into public projects, boost the economy, get people spending in shops and taking on new contracts and the whole thing snow balls. This has been done many times in the past and worked.

So what do the tories do? slash public spending and set in place plans to put 1.3 million people on the dole, with no jobs to go to. Companies that rely on public sector contracts, whether it be road building or supplying pens, will find themselves going to the wall. Shops, pubs etc in local communities that rely on public sector workers spending their hard earned to them will go the same way. - not to mention how the cuts in front line public services are going to impact on the whole community.

Whoever is to blame for the 'mess' we are in, it is going to get a whole lot worse with the con-dem plans. There are many ways to cut the deficit, like revising the tax system so the banks and the rich that caused it all have to pay more, scrapping trident, stop paying billions to consultants - but no, they are only interested in making the least well off in society suffer.

The economics of the mad house

Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:59 pm

Iv been in costruction all my working life(bricklayer)and as marc said its fucked.im know working in recycling and the tory gov are all ready cutting back on that and they say we need to recycle more like f**k.the torys will do no better than the last goverment.except make the richer even more wealth f**k the torys :roll: rant over

Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:36 pm

Joe_Public, I can assure you that employers in the Construction Industry do NOT pay the going rate anymore due to the influx of Eastern Europeans, believe me the job I was doing ten years ago was paying £120 a shift whereas now you'd be lucky to get £70 a shift, Employers are laughing all the way to the bank. Incidentally I've a job interview in the morning for a driving job which is paying £320 a week, which is peanuts especially when you consider living expenses in London.

Sorry for Hijacking your post Annis :ayatollah: :lol:

Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Marc wrote:Joe_Public, I can assure you that employers in the Construction Industry do NOT pay the going rate anymore due to the influx of Eastern Europeans, believe me the job I was doing ten years ago was paying £120 a shift whereas now you'd be lucky to get £70 a shift, Employers are laughing all the way to the bank. Incidentally I've a job interview in the morning for a driving job which is paying £320 a week, which is peanuts especially when you consider living expenses in London.

Joe Public meant that going rate is minimum wage I'm guessing. If someone comes in prepared to the do the job cheaper ie 70 quid instead of 120 quid then that is the going rate.

Supply and demand and all that.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:51 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:2 cabinet ministers have resigned so far for telling porkies about their domestic arrangements. Not bad going for 6 weeks in and certainly that David Laws bloke should have been charged with fraud for conning the tax payer out of £40,000.

Hear hear then Cameron had the cheek to call him an honourable man. Made my blood boil that one.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:14 pm

maccydee wrote:
Marc wrote:Joe_Public, I can assure you that employers in the Construction Industry do NOT pay the going rate anymore due to the influx of Eastern Europeans, believe me the job I was doing ten years ago was paying £120 a shift whereas now you'd be lucky to get £70 a shift, Employers are laughing all the way to the bank. Incidentally I've a job interview in the morning for a driving job which is paying £320 a week, which is peanuts especially when you consider living expenses in London.

Joe Public meant that going rate is minimum wage I'm guessing. If someone comes in prepared to the do the job cheaper ie 70 quid instead of 120 quid then that is the going rate.

Summed up quite nicely.

I dont work in the construction industry, so am no expert on the going rate and will bow to the knowledge of anyone that does. i do come across polish builders through my job and as far as i can see they are getting the same pay.

Undoubtedly if people are prepared to work for less, then that will drive down the 'going rate'. That cannot be blamed on the Poles, but the emplyers. If ever there was an argument for trade unions, this would be it.

I am sure you will have seen it, but 'the day the immigrants left' can be found here >>>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOY9SNEx ... re=related

Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:37 pm

joe_public wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Summed up quite nicely.

I dont work in the construction industry, so am no expert on the going rate and will bow to the knowledge of anyone that does. i do come across polish builders through my job and as far as i can see they are getting the same pay.

Undoubtedly if people are prepared to work for less, then that will drive down the 'going rate'. That cannot be blamed on the Poles, but the emplyers. If ever there was an argument for trade unions, this would be it.

I am sure you will have seen it, but 'the day the immigrants left' can be found here >>>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOY9SNEx ... re=related

Joe_Public, If you can just put yourself in a Construction workers shoes for a moment and you might see why we are pissed off. A chippy can usually command about £150/£170 a shift, whereas now it's about half of that. So to answer you, yes they do drive down the "going rate" and whilst they are driving the British workers wage down they are also taking OUR money out of the country in benefits such as child benefit etc.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:19 pm

Marc wrote:
Joe_Public, If you can just put yourself in a Construction workers shoes for a moment and you might see why we are pissed off. A chippy can usually command about £150/£170 a shift, whereas now it's about half of that. So to answer you, yes they do drive down the "going rate" and whilst they are driving the British workers wage down they are also taking OUR money out of the country in benefits such as child benefit etc.

I am also pissed off. the government want to drive down my wage - assuming they let me keep my job. I will be working with my union to fight back - perhaps if construction workers stood up for themselves it might be a different story

(*I know, unionisation is a little more difficult in your industry than mine, but it can be done. If you try, you might fail, if you dont try, you WILL fail)