Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Were club disingenuous with Trust?

Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:46 pm

IF we are behind on another tax bill, the club will thus be under a transfer embargo.

Yet wasn't the claim to the Trust to the contrary?

So, IF we owe HMRC money, has an embargo been applied and the Trust were lied to OR are the club aware an embargo will be in place and thus neglected to mention that, telling the Trust only the current status?

Re: Were club disingenuous with Trust?

Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:54 pm

nerd wrote:IF we are behind on another tax bill, the club will thus be under a transfer embargo.

So, IF we owe HMRC money, has an embargo been applied and the Trust were lied to OR are the club aware an embargo will be in place and thus neglected to mention that, telling the Trust only the current status?

As the club were saying it would be sorted this week then why would they bring it up ?

When they met they might have even expected the money by now from Ledley's sale. Who knows.

If the debt isn't paid in the next few days and we DO get an embargo then yes the club should make it public, and not jsut to the Trust but to everyone, but not while they feel its under control. IMHO.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:20 pm

nerd wrote:IF we are behind on another tax bill, the club will thus be under a transfer embargo.

Nerd, personally our club needs to start coming out and saying yes were in deep shit, but please stick with us and we can all get through THIS TOGETHER, They would get a lot more Respect from the fans.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:11 pm

Lawnmower wrote:

As the club were saying it would be sorted this week then why would they bring it up ?

When they met they might have even expected the money by now from Ledley's sale. Who knows.

If the debt isn't paid in the next few days and we DO get an embargo then yes the club should make it public, and not jsut to the Trust but to everyone, but not while they feel its under control. IMHO.

The point is, *is* it under control?

Player wages routinely paid late,blaming "international banking issues" - sorry, first one late, you then transfer the money earlier the future months. It's not rocket science.

Relying upon player compensation,sales to fund tax bills is quite frankly ludicrous from a risk perspective. It relies upon other teams playing ball.

Given the club have routinely in the past claimed things would be resolved quickly, I'd take that claim with a massive pinch of salt.

The whole point of dialogue between the Trust and the club is surely to breed trust, respect, honesty. Yet it seems the club are adopting the tactic Ridsdale used - "they didn't ask"...

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:16 pm

nerd wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:

The point is, *is* it under control?

Player wages routinely paid late,blaming "international banking issues" - sorry, first one late, you then transfer the money earlier the future months. It's not rocket science.

Relying upon player compensation,sales to fund tax bills is quite frankly ludicrous from a risk perspective. It relies upon other teams playing ball.

Given the club have routinely in the past claimed things would be resolved quickly, I'd take that claim with a massive pinch of salt.

The whole point of dialogue between the Trust and the club is surely to breed trust, respect, honesty. Yet it seems the club are adopting the tactic Ridsdale used - "they didn't ask"...

Nerd.
Todays NOW was the first anyone had heard of a tax issue, including those with sources within the club on here.

Your original post was full of 'ifs'. So one simple 'if' back should suffice.

Like I said, the club (new people now, not PR and backed by TG) said it will be paid so why bring it up to the Trust.

if they have held something back from the Trust then they also have from the rest of us.

You'll get your answer in the next few days one way or another.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:22 pm

Lawnmower wrote:Nerd.
Todays NOW was the first anyone had heard of a tax issue, including those with sources within the club on here.

Like I said, the club (new people now, not PR and backed by TG) said it will be paid so why bring it up to the Trust.

if they have held something back from the Trust then they also have from the rest of us.

The point being the club would say that to the press - that's obvious. Wouldn't say anything to the contrary.

Now, the club may claim it would be paid, question is, how?

Equally, the fact is the club have lied to the Trust. If the club are tacitly admitting there's a debt which will be paid this week, then we are under an embargo. League rule, owing HMRC money. The club have thus either cyncially lied,to use the Trust to stifle criticism or are clueless about league rules.

If the Trust asking if we were under an embargo and the club said no, evidence indicates the truth is to the contrary.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:33 pm

nerd wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:Nerd.

The point being the club would say that to the press - that's obvious. Wouldn't say anything to the contrary.
Now, the club may claim it would be paid, question is, how?
ARE YOU EXPECTING ME TO KNOW THAT, THEY MAY HAVE A DEAL WITH STOKE, OR IPSWICH OR EVEN HAVE FUNDS COMING FROM TG/VT, AS I SAID (AGAIN) IF IT DOESN'T GET PAID THEN THEY ARE IN TROUBLE, I BELEIVE IT WILL

Equally, the fact is the club have lied to the Trust. If the club are tacitly admitting there's a debt which will be paid this week, then we are under an embargo. League rule, owing HMRC money. The club have thus either cyncially lied,to use the Trust to stifle criticism or are clueless about league rules.

YOU ARE STRETCHING THINGS HERE. THE CLUB CLAIM ITS SORTED SO WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO GO WORRYING PEOPLE ABOUT IT. AT LEAST JENKINS HAS BEEN HONEST ENOUGH TO ADMIT THE MONEY NEEDED PAYING.

If the Trust asking if we were under an embargo and the club said no, evidence indicates the truth is to the contrary.

THIS SENTENCE MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. :lol:

Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:15 pm

"Chief exec Gethin Jenkins said: "HMRC has launched a petition in the event we don't pay the PAYE bill. We are confident of settling it in the next couple of days." "

Unless Jenkins has been misquoted - in which case I await a PCC complaint- it boils down to this.

1 - HMRC don't launch petitions ahead of the due date for PAYE.
2 - It's clear this action was launched due to an agreed payment schedule date being missed - HMRC don't book provisional court dates just for shits and giggles.
3 - As this payment was clearly overdue PAYE, the club will have been under a transfer embargo. Given Jenkins is quoted as admitting it's not been paid, the embargo status is pretty clear.

EDIT:

Have the club said it's "sorted"? It's sorted when it's paid, not by saying you're confident of paying it.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:21 pm

nerd wrote:"Chief exec Gethin Jenkins said: "HMRC has launched a petition in the event we don't pay the PAYE bill. We are confident of settling it in the next couple of days." "

Unless Jenkins has been misquoted - in which case I await a PCC complaint- it boils down to this.

2 - It's clear this action was launched due to an agreed payment schedule date being missed - HMRC don't book provisional court dates just for shits and giggles.
3 - As this payment was clearly overdue PAYE, the club will have been under a transfer embargo. Given Jenkins is quoted as admitting it's not been paid, the embargo status is pretty clear.

EDIT:

Have the club said it's "sorted"? It's sorted when it's paid, not by saying you're confident of paying it.

" just for shits and giggles "

:lol: :lol:

Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:23 pm

I'd get involved in tis post if i new what disingenous meant. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:33 pm

BigGwynram wrote:I'd get involved in tis post if i new what disingenous meant. :lol: :lol: :lol:

For your benefit Gwyn
'sneaky, untruthful'

Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:37 pm

The 'next few days' at worst means by Friday. If the tax bill is paid by then you can give the club the benefit of the doubt.

However, if it is not paid and instead we get more quotes which range from 'expected to pay' to 'agreements reached' then the club has acted in an appauling way towards an important supporters organisation.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:40 pm

nerd wrote:"Chief exec Gethin Jenkins said: "HMRC has launched a petition in the event we don't pay the PAYE bill. We are confident of settling it in the next couple of days." "

EDIT:

1. yes, and obvious
2. Probably nothuing to do with 'agreed payment schedule' more the statutory payment time was missed. I doubt very much the club have an agreement. It will relate to the last 2-3 months PAYE and possibly VAT.
3. This will surely depend on the timings.

What is your point - that Jenkins should have said we are under an embargo, when at the time he met the Trust we may not have been and that he is confident of paying it off quickly, what would the benefit of that be ? After all its only a couple of weeks since we signed Heaton, so it has to be fairly recent.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:49 pm

Lawnmower wrote:

EDIT:

1. yes, and obvious
2. Probably nothuing to do with 'agreed payment schedule' more the statutory payment time was missed. I doubt very much the club have an agreement. It will relate to the last 2-3 months PAYE and possibly VAT.

What is your point - that Jenkins should have said we are under an embargo, when at the time he met the Trust we may not have been and that he is confident of paying it off quickly, what would the benefit of that be ? After all its only a couple of weeks since we signed Heaton, so it has to be fairly recent.

2. We've agreed payment schedules with HMRC before - with a history of not abiding by them. Read Jenkins statement, the first part. Inconsistent with your view, to be honest.

Now, if it was the last 2-3 months PAYE, that would be due for payment last month or this, dependent upon the schedule.

3. How exactly? If the money is overdue,late,the embargo kicks in. It's late, it's clearly late. Does the embargo cover signing unattached players or only transfers between clubs, to protect other clubs?

Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:58 pm

nerd wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:

EDIT:

1. yes, and obvious

2. We've agreed payment schedules with HMRC before - with a history of not abiding by them. Read Jenkins statement, the first part. Inconsistent with your view, to be honest.

Now, if it was the last 2-3 months PAYE, that would be due for payment last month or this, dependent upon the schedule.

3. How exactly? If the money is overdue,late,the embargo kicks in. It's late, it's clearly late. Does the embargo cover signing unattached players or only transfers between clubs, to protect other clubs?

Item 2. That is EXACTLY why we are unlikely to have an agreement with them. They will want to be paid every quarter (or month depending on the deal - probably quarterly looking at the figure) on the nose. Trust me I've been through this sh1t myself.
Again, I don't get your point.

3. Because as we know from before it isn't that simple, look at the complications regarding other clubs. Again it obviously wasnt the case when we signed Heaton.

Just wait and see what happens this week. if its not paid then you may well have a point. If its sorted quickly then no problem. Unless the person in the club who's passed the info. on to Mario hasn't screwed up the very deal which was expected to yield the money to pay this.

Time for my bath. :D