Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' WITH HINDSIGHT, WHAT DID CITY NEED ? '

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:00 pm

' WITH HINDSIGHT, WHAT DID CITY NEED ? '

I think it is safe to say that many Cardiff City fans are content with how the Bluebirds have done so far this season, I believe most didn't think that after 7 months into the campaign we would be challenging for a top 6 place.

The club's heirarchy have been consistent in stating they believe a top six finish is achievable and to date there is a good possibility that it could happen.

I believed that within the squad we had at the start of the season there was a team among it that could achieve top six but being honest I didn't think that Russell Slade was the manager to deliver, so far Slade is certainly proving me wrong and many others too.

I have friends who believe that the squad is and always has been a top two squad, personally I don't believe that.

So my question is, what does, or did our squad need to be a top two challenging team?

Personally I think up front is where we needed strengthening, certainly at least a striker with pace, physical presence and a proven goal scorer at this level or higher.

I am not saying the club should have spent money or being critical because I agree with the 'business decisions' to bring the wage bill down to a more sustainable level.

But I am interested in the responses I hope this thread gets to see where others think we needed strengthening, if indeed at all ?

Looking at performances over the course of the season, I see no real issue with our defence or midfield but up front is where we have lacked in several games and if this was able to be addressed earlier then we may very well have been challenging for automatic promotion, that is taking nothing away from what we have achieved so far though as I didn't think we would being do as well as we have as I said earlier.

Re: ' WITH HINDSIGHT, WHAT DID CITY NEED ? '

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:08 pm

One or two players in the front 4 positions with a bit of pace.
Also, the team needed to bond / show a bit more togetherness.

I believe that at long last, we have both. Just got to keep injury free now. :bluescarf:

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:09 pm

To be a top two team we are not that far off. I would say a decent striker with pace, like we had Fraizer Campbell from January in the year we won the league.

Perhaps a steady head in the central of midfield, and another experienced centre back.

I do honestly believe we will finish in the top six, and even if we don't win on Saturday I'll believe that. If we did have the above things, I think we'd be capable of a top two finish this season.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:17 pm

carlccfc wrote:' WITH HINDSIGHT, WHAT DID CITY NEED ? '

I think it is safe to say that many Cardiff City fans are content with how the Bluebirds have done so far this season, I believe most didn't think that after 7 months into the campaign we would be challenging for a top 6 place.

The club's heirarchy have been consistent in stating they believe a top six finish is achievable and to date there is a good possibility that it could happen.

I believed that within the squad we had at the start of the season there was a team among it that could achieve top six but being honest I didn't think that Russell Slade was the manager to deliver, so far Slade is certainly proving me wrong and many others too.

I have friends who believe that the squad is and always has been a top two squad, personally I don't believe that.

So my question is, what does, or did our squad need to be a top two challenging team?

Personally I think up front is where we needed strengthening, certainly at least a striker with pace, physical presence and a proven goal scorer at this level or higher.

I am not saying the club should have spent money or being critical because I agree with the 'business decisions' to bring the wage bill down to a more sustainable level.

But I am interested in the responses I hope this thread gets to see where others think we needed strengthening, if indeed at all ?

Looking at performances over the course of the season, I see no real issue with our defence or midfield but up front is where we have lacked in several games and if this was able to be addressed earlier then we may very well have been challenging for automatic promotion, that is taking nothing away from what we have achieved so far though as I didn't think we would being do as well as we have as I said earlier.

Not always but this post can't agree with you more, some real quality up top is what was needed. I think okeefe and Lawrence and the new formation have ticked the boxes of the other areas that needed sorting :thumbup:

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:34 pm

Stringfellow wrote:
carlccfc wrote:' WITH HINDSIGHT, WHAT DID CITY NEED ? '

Not always but this post can't agree with you more, some real quality up top is what was needed. I think okeefe and Lawrence and the new formation have ticked the boxes of the other areas that needed sorting :thumbup:

I thought we were always on the same lines :laughing6:

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:22 pm

A CM that can control a game.
Winger with genuine pace that can create
2 fullbacks that can defend yet get forward
A creative No.10

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:24 pm

Not having fickle fans.
A pacy striker with an eye for goal.
An Lionel messi.

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:18 am

Macheda to sort his head out and work harder. Noone to improve his crossing and consistency. The midfield balance of late to have been found pre season.
All hypothetical but the big one for me is the midfield. We have become a lot better since we've started to win the battle in the middle of the park which is obvious. Still happy at where we are but could be so much better as well.

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:53 am

I had no issues with the defense and when it has looked shaky it is because they have been under so much pressure due to problems further up the field.

Midfield and upfront have been real problems.

Very little movement upfront until recently and also lack of guile and pace in midfield.

Being forced, due to a transfer embargo, to play Pilkington up front and bringing in loan signings has helped Slade but people are delusional if they believe that the recent upturn in performances are sustainable with Slade in charge.

He has done ok recently but look at his permanent signings.... you want the guy near the city cheque book in the summer? I do not.

One sparrow does not make a spring and while I credit him for a few decent performances recently I think that not addressing the problems in midfield and up front when he had ample opportunity indicate that he is not capable of building a decent footballing side with consistency and momentum.

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:28 am

Stringfellow wrote:Not always but this post can't agree with you more, some real quality up top is what was needed. I think okeefe and Lawrence and the new formation have ticked the boxes of the other areas that needed sorting :thumbup:

That was going to be my response. O'Keefe has proved just about everyone wrong including myself. After the loss to Shrewsbury I really thought his time here was done. Fair play to the boy he bounced back against Wolves and the rest for now is history.

Lawrence has brought balance to our midfield. The Noone manoeuvre (cutting in from the right and shooting with his left) produced the odd goal but was never going to get us promoted as it meant quality crosses into the box never came. TL is now providing that balance with his quality right foot. Noone can provide a different option if needed so in wide areas I believe we are now very strong if you also include Peter Whittingham.

I said from day one if we had someone to stick the ball in the net we would piss this league. The fact we didn't is the reason why we are not a top two side. The Pilkington experiment is working for now but we will have to come up with a plan B once his game is common knowledge and rival coaches start man marking him.

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:53 pm

I did think we would struggle this season, with Slade in charge I was just happy for us to remain in the championship and fair play to him he looks to have done that.

I did feel we had a top 6 squad at the start of the season though if players were used correctly and previous money had been spent well, now I think its lacking. I don't see us making the top 6 and I thin we will average out to about midtable which is a fair return considering.

Regarding strengthening, for me a priority would be the manager who I don't think is good enough.

Player wise we aren't far off as long as we don't return to the very rigid 442 previously used without fail before.

Although I do think at least 2 quality strikers are required if we are serious about going up at any point in the future, probably a winger as well unless Kennedy is allowed back into the squad come next season.

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:30 pm

Alex Pritchard. Best player in the Championship last season. Why did Spurs loan him to West Brom, only for Pulis to use him as sub? Like Harry Kane in the past, he needed another year in the Championship. He's a goal- scoring midfielder who controls games at this level. I'm happy with Immers, but Lawrence needs to score more often. Pritchard and a striker like Fraizer Campbell would've transformed our season.

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:53 pm

Only really missing a central midfield skipper and b-st-rd. Someone like Joey Barton or Cattermole from Sunderland. With respect to David Marshall, the team leader needs to be all in very the pitch, not just in the penalty area.