Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MORE NEWS BREAKING ON CITY TONIGHT

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:15 pm

Two pieces of news coming out of the club tonight, firstly it is not a cert that Ledley is going to Stoke as Joe himself has not made his mind up, the clubs he is thinking of going to are Stoke and Celtic but today West Brom have come in with an excellent offer and this is has given Joe another option but it is definate that he will not stay at Cardiff City.

But the other piece is even worse news, on returning to training the players were called into a meeting and they have all been asked to defer their bonuses and appearence fees until the end of the season. The players are holding their own meeting next week to decide collectively but I can tell you from a few individual players they are not happy about the situation.

I feel for Dave Jones in all this.

If anyone wishes to disagree with this then I suggest you contact the club and ask them to confirm or deny my claims.

Re: MORE NEWS BREAKING ON CITY TONIGHT

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:21 pm

Carl

This is getting worse.

There is no way if I was a player that i would extend my contract, or even want to talk about it.

What a way to motivate the players at the start of a season.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:23 pm

Just had a call off one of the players telling me the same, but cue scaremongering and rumour posts again, await positive sppin or categorical denial from club.

Didn't mention that to to the Trust in todays meeting obviously, possible they only wanted to give positive news or at least news they could put positive spin on.

I just feel its imploding and we are helpless to stop it, those of us who get told things by players etc who obviously can't post their feelings use us to try and let people know what's going on. perhaps its best people like Carl don't let it out for public attention in case has is bound to happen sometimes it can be conflicting.

Personally I prefer to have some sort of warning even if everytime on every fact it may not be 100% accurate 100% of the time.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:28 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Just had a call off one of the players telling me the same, but cue scaremongering and rumour posts again, await positive sppin or categorical denial from club.

Didn't mention that to to the Trust in todays meeting obviously, possible they only wanted to give positive news or at least news they could put positive spin on.

I just feel its imploding and we are helpless to stop it, those of us who get told things by players etc who obviously can't post their feelings use us to try and let people know what's going on. perhaps its best people like Carl don't let it out for public attention in case has is bound to happen sometimes it can be conflicting.

Personally I prefer to have some sort of warning even if everytime on every fact it may not be 100% accurate 100% of the time.

They have a choice Gwyn.
Accept it and help the club out.
Or turn it down and get on with it.

If we are in the shit lets sell some and pay the debts off. I think I'd prefer mid-table than the pantomime this club has become.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:32 pm

I'm fed up of bad news. I'm not reading any more until it's positive! :(

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:06 pm

I don't see the problem? If the players care about the club they will do it, if they don't they can leave! They will get their money at the end of the season instead of monthly, if it helps the club do it!!
It's not as if they don't get paid that much is it??
And before anyone says would you do it yes I would and have when the company I worked for needed help !

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Maybe if they earned £10,000 a year like some they would have something to moan about,i havent had a pay rise for 2 years but still do my job even though i dont like it.I dont go on a message board moaning how hard done i am , if they get it back at end of season how can they complain.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:20 pm

bluebirdrob wrote:Maybe if they earned £10,000 a year like some they would have something to moan about,i havent had a pay rise for 2 years but still do my job even though i dont like it.I dont go on a message board moaning how hard done i am , if they get it back at end of season how can they complain.

Key word there. If they can't guarantee it now, how can they be so sure come May 2011?

Regardelss of what they are on and how well paid they are, they have a contract. None of us would stand for it, why should they becasue they earn a few bob a month more than us?

Let's be sensible as well as reasonable when replying to this. These guys are not Cardiff City supporters, they are employees who want their wages and monies that are due to them at the right time.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:22 pm

Spot on rob!! It must be really hard living on 10 to 15 grand a WEEK!! Maybe with a little less money the might stop hanging around the bookies and burger bars all day !!

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:24 pm

rymo wrote:I don't see the problem? If the players care about the club they will do it, if they don't they can leave! They will get their money at the end of the season instead of monthly, if it helps the club do it!!
It's not as if they don't get paid that much is it??
And before anyone says would you do it yes I would and have when the company I worked for needed help !

The point is the club has a budget and whether they pay the bonuses now or in May 2011, it is still the same budget but it is not about whether or not the players can afford it, it is more about how the club has not got a pot to piss in and how the hell do they manage with other debts that need paying.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:27 pm

Sorry ptb I don't agree with you. They are not asking them to give it up just defur it until the end of the season, as they have a contract it has to be paid otherwise the club would be leagally stuffed. All the club are doing Is asking them for some help! I don't think it is that much to ask.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:29 pm

rymo wrote:Sorry ptb I don't agree with you. They are not asking them to give it up just defur it until the end of the season, as they have a contract it has to be paid otherwise the club would be leagally stuffed. All the club are doing Is asking them for some help! I don't think it is that much to ask.

As I say, if they can't guarantee them the money now then how can they do it at the end of the season? They can't even pay the wages on time. This is how it starts, look at Pompey, Leeds etc.... Everyone has been trying to help for the last few months. If we can't afford it then sell a few bodies and start again, no point handing out spades, we can only dig deeper.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:31 pm

Carl what if we are promoted next may? Or we sell the naming rights? Or Sam gives us 12 million? Or it allows us time to pay urgent creditors and pay the bonuses when we have had a year of sorting the finances out? We could pay them out of next years season ticket money ?

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:32 pm

It's all if's though rymo. What if no-one come sin with a penny, we have a shit season and the gates go down?

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:35 pm

We sell players like every other club in the country do, but we have new billionaire owners who have not become that rich by being stupid, I'm sure they know what they are doing.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:37 pm

It's all if's though rymo. What if no-one come sin with a penny, we have a shit season and the gates go down?

Again it's all if's ain't it?

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:38 pm

Shit season, players lose value through poor performances and contracts running down.

They are good businessmen - money made outside football, they won't want to waste it.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:38 pm

I'm sure this will make us even more attractive to potential new players, and I bet it will really motivate the ones that are here now, i'll bet they'll fly out of the blocks first game.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:40 pm

I am sure the Malysians are first class business men and I'm sure Gethin was a good rugby club CEO, but this is football and its unlike any other business that's out there, as they are finding out.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:41 pm

rymo wrote:Carl what if we are promoted next may? Or we sell the naming rights? Or Sam gives us 12 million? Or it allows us time to pay urgent creditors and pay the bonuses when we have had a year of sorting the finances out? We could pay them out of next years season ticket money ?

That is not a prudent approach though Rymo, it is the works of a gambler.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:45 pm

Are we saying then just because these guys are footballers they act different to everyone else on the planet? If asked to help the company they work for by not taking the money they are due until a few months later, in a job they love and get paid well for, that they will not give a toss and not try because of this ? Please tell me you dont think this is right? Please?

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:47 pm

rymo wrote:Are we saying then just because these guys are footballers they act different to everyone else on the planet? If asked to help the company they work for by not taking the money they are due until a few months later, in a job they love and get paid well for, that they will not give a toss and not try because of this ? Please tell me you dont think this is right? Please?

There is no loyalty in football we know that much rymo and if we dont make them happy there are plenty of others who will try.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:51 pm

It is a sad life as a footballer then if the have no morals then, they can keep it!

Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:41 am

rymo wrote:Are we saying then just because these guys are footballers they act different to everyone else on the planet? If asked to help the company they work for by not taking the money they are due until a few months later, in a job they love and get paid well for, that they will not give a toss and not try because of this ? Please tell me you dont think this is right? Please?

I don't want to shatter your illusions but footballers (all of them) are hired thugs, simple as. They've got a product to sell in a very short time and they must get the most they can get. If one club can't offer it then another can. We'd all like to think players are at a club for the football but if that were the case then Ryan Giggs would still be with us after years of service along with Messi who loved his trip to Cardiff so much that he wanted to play for us, money no object.

Don't take it personally but players play because of the money you pay them, every last one of them from the highest division right down to the bottom clubs.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:46 am

carlccfc wrote:Two pieces of news coming out of the club tonight, firstly it is not a cert that Ledley is going to Stoke as Joe himself has not made his mind up, the clubs he is thinking of going to are Stoke and Celtic but today West Brom have come in with an excellent offer and this is has given Joe another option but it is definate that he will not stay at Cardiff City.

But the other piece is even worse news, on returning to training the players were called into a meeting and they have all been asked to defer their bonuses and appearence fees until the end of the season. The players are holding their own meeting next week to decide collectively but I can tell you from a few individual players they are not happy about the situation.

If anyone wishes to disagree with this then I suggest you contact the club and ask them to confirm or deny my claims.

""I feel for Dave Jones in all this."" I wouldn't, he's off to Florida for 2 weeks holiday ain't he?

Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:31 am

I really can't see a problem, they have said from day one that the club has to be more prudent & has to manage the mess that has been created over the last 6 years.

We know that we haven't got a pot to piss in & the players know that better than most. If it means a few of them leave or won't sign new contracts hey ho! Ultimatley, they know the next contract offer they receive from the cub won't be anywhere near the massivley overpaid one they have at the moment anyway.

This is not about players it's about the club & finally we have people at the helm of the club who are willing to make tough decisions. True Dave Jones has be left in an invidious position but he's done well here both financially & with his CV, if he wanted a job elsewhere he'd get it.

Break it up & start again.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:02 am

The way I see it is the players aren't being told they can't have there bonus it will just be at a later date. Personally I prefer to have one or two big bonuses than one every week. Fair enough if you're on the lower end pay scale of things it can make a difference but The mid to top end earners it shouldn't really affect. Think about it what would you rather an extra £1000 a game or a cash lump sum of £40000 I know what id prefer! And before anyone comments on the tax I'm sure come the end of the day they would pay the same amount of tax either way they are paid.
The reasons the club are doing this is obvious. It will free up a little/lot of cash on a week to week basis. It is probably easier for the club to pay it this way ie utilise season ticket money. And it may come in a different financial year so this years books won't look to bad.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:07 am

carlccfc wrote:.

I've got to take issue with you about this being "even worse news".

Firstly, as others have pointed out, we are talking about a deferral of bonus payments here and not a withdrawal of them.

It's ten years this month since Sam Hammam arrived at the club and since then it has consistently spent money which it didn't have and was incapable of finding without promotion to the Premiership. To be fair, all of that money has seen standards rise dramatically on the pitch, but, given the size of our debt, the wages we pay and the success achieved by other clubs that have been run more sensibly than us, I truly believe that we should have experienced at least one season of Premiership football in the past decade.

The trouble is that without top flight football, the sort of thing we saw on Black Friday and for much of the last nine months or so becomes inevitable when the philosophy of any club is "Premiership or bust". If the Malaysians are trying to change that way of thinking by bringing in measures like this, then they have my full support and I would say it is good news - even if it might mean a few seasons of consolidation while we try and become a "proper" football club again.

Following last month's budget we have had stacks of people from all walks of life telling us that things are going to get that bit harder for everyone over the next few years - the Government is fond of saying that "we are all in this together", so why should footballers and the football industry be exempt from this?

Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:11 am

so how are they going to pay any new players? give them a deferred bonus as well.
if we avoid admin this season ill be amazed. this just looks like pompey last season, week after week more bad news.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:53 am

carlccfc wrote:Two pieces of news coming out of the club tonight, firstly it is not a cert that Ledley is going to Stoke as Joe himself has not made his mind up, the clubs he is thinking of going to are Stoke and Celtic but today West Brom have come in with an excellent offer and this is has given Joe another option but it is definate that he will not stay at Cardiff City.

Spot on again Carl about WBA.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... edley.html :ayatollah: